Following The 'Official' UFC appreciation thread Page 414

• Reacher 7 Oct 2018 13:37:53 2,786 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    IMO that was the right thing to do. So many times we see a fighter get half killed in there and everyone cries "well his corner could have saved him!", and this time they did. He broke his hand against a fighter who is no joke, there's no need to put him through a beating he can't defend for the sake of 'just bleeding'.
    Don't get me wrong, I totally understand and respect the decision. It's just, as a fan, I wanted more of that fight " just bleed etc"
  • craigy Staff 7 Oct 2018 13:54:43 9,374 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I was a bit surprised they didn't announce a DQ win for Conor. It's happened in the past with bad shows of sportsmanship.

Here's what I think might happen next:
    - NSAC do an investigation and overturn the fight to a no contest
    - Khabib gets stripped and suspended
    - The UFC set up Tony vs Conor for the vacant belt
    - The winner fights Khabib once his suspension is up
    - But he can't get a Visa any more so they do the event in... Mother Russia.
    - $$$

Everyone who thinks it's a "work" doesn't understand the difference between WWF and MMA and is overlooking how winding up someone so devoutly religious and family oriented about those two things is going to make them very angry to the point where rules don't matter. They give Conor so much leeway with promotion where he crosses lines with what he says, but the UFC aren't in the business of setting up riots at their own events.
  • Bahamafish 7 Oct 2018 13:56:40 610 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    IMO that was the right thing to do. So many times we see a fighter get half killed in there and everyone cries "well his corner could have saved him!", and this time they did. He broke his hand against a fighter who is no joke, there's no need to put him through a beating he can't defend for the sake of 'just bleeding'.
    Agree. Pettis didn't actually say he wanted out as far as I remember. Duke Rufus took responsibility and made the decision.

Also, Dominick Cruz and Jon Anik were a real embarrasment during the main event. At the end of the second round after Conor got ground and pounded for 5 minutes, Dom said that Conor was just gassing him out.
  • Bahamafish 7 Oct 2018 13:59:06 610 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    or GSP will get a title fight against Conor, and Tony will be overlooked yet again.
  • craigy Staff 7 Oct 2018 14:05:24 9,374 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Bahamafish now you’re talking my language! That would be brill, although I’ve heard Conor doesn’t want that fight cos he doesn’t fancy his chances against GSP.
  • Frogofdoom 7 Oct 2018 14:11:06 10,930 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No way do they overturn the result, the fight was done before the trouble.

Also gsp would have Conor subbed within a round.

Edited by Frogofdoom at 14:11:47 07-10-2018
  • AddyJB 7 Oct 2018 14:19:18 521 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Id love to see Ferguson vs Mcgregor. Id fancy Tony for that one as well.
  • craigy Staff 7 Oct 2018 14:19:31 9,374 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You can get DQ'd if your cornermen do egregious shit (like getting in the ring and throwing punches at your opponent). The unified rules say you can be DQ'd for "Any unsportsmanlike conduct that causes an injury to opponent", or "Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee", both of which you could argue happened here.

Given that Conor is not just the UFC's moneymaker, but ultimately the NSAC's moneymaker and Las Vegas' moneymaker, I wouldn't be surprised if they do something that ultimately favours him and their ability to draw more money out of his fans and in to Nevada.
  • Bahamafish 7 Oct 2018 14:20:44 610 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    No way do they overturn the result, the fight was done before the trouble.

Also gsp would have Conor subbed within a round.
    Not overturned - but if Khabib gets suspended for 1.5-2 years, they have to strip him of the title.
  • Frogofdoom 7 Oct 2018 14:22:46 10,930 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @craigy Conor hit him first so surely he would be due a lengthy ban.
  • up_the_ante 7 Oct 2018 14:27:30 815 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    Can't see a rematch happening. Mcgregor is intelligent enough to know he'll just get beat up again.
    Yeah this is what I think too, everyone knew it was going to be a blowout one way or the other and from what Conor showed I don't see him winning a rematch. With that in mind where does he go from here? Rematch against Nate maybe? Like Rousey he has transcended the sport, and I wonder how well that works if you're not a champ.
    How many losses before McGregor appears in WWE? Oh wait, there's no weight categories in that pantomime
  • senso-ji 7 Oct 2018 14:40:32 8,951 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How long was McGregor's suspension when he threw a chair at a bus that caused two fighters to suffer injuries that pulled them out of their contests? It was Artem Lobov who got dropped by the UFC over that incident, which is just baffling.

Edited by senso-ji at 14:40:44 07-10-2018
  • Blakester 7 Oct 2018 14:42:49 4,601 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ignoring all the post-fight drama, who the hell could have predicted that Khabib would win the stand-up, dropping Conor with a beautiful overhand right.

Conor was outclassed, possibly the worst he’s ever looked in the octagon, but fair play to him for surviving that second round.
  • craigy Staff 7 Oct 2018 14:46:26 9,374 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @senso-ji no athletic commissions could suspend him for the bus attack — he wasn’t “in competition” when it happened so they had no jurisdiction to ban him for it, even though it was atrocious behaviour.
  • Bahamafish 7 Oct 2018 14:46:42 610 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    Ignoring all the post-fight drama, who the hell could have predicted that Khabib would win the stand-up, dropping Conor with a beautiful overhand right.

Conor was outclassed, possibly the worst he’s ever looked in the octagon, but fair play to him for surviving that second round.
    Jon Anik called Conor Mcgregor the best striker in the UFC history - then he gets schooled by Khabib on the feet right after.

Edited by Bahamafish at 14:46:52 07-10-2018
  • Frogofdoom 7 Oct 2018 14:48:09 10,930 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They can only suspend him from fighting in the states that it governs though couldn't they? Leaving him free to fight elsewhere.
  • craigy Staff 7 Oct 2018 14:51:39 9,374 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Generally if a fighter is suspended by one athletic commission the other states won’t license them to fight either. That’s why fighters who get caught doping in the US go to Japan/Russia to fight.
  • Frogofdoom 7 Oct 2018 14:53:35 10,930 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pretty sure Russia would let him fight there until a suspension clears though.
  • Reacher 7 Oct 2018 14:59:37 2,786 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bahamafish wrote:
    craigy wrote:
    or GSP will get a title fight against Conor, and Tony will be overlooked yet again.
    There is zero chance Connor would beat GSP or even if they could both make the same weight at this point.
  • senso-ji 7 Oct 2018 15:00:27 8,951 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blakester wrote:

Conor was outclassed in all areas. However, he didn't look his usual self - he was off balance, his timing was gone, his accuracy was poor, and he was generally a reactive, rather than the usual proactive, fighter he normally is. Not saying a prime McGregor would have had it easy, but two years out of the cage really showed.

Edited by senso-ji at 15:00:57 07-10-2018
  • craigy Staff 7 Oct 2018 15:07:36 9,374 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You’re right about his timing being off actually. Was that ring rust or being preoccupied about the threat of the takedown causing it?
  • Frogofdoom 7 Oct 2018 15:11:48 10,930 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Probably the constant threat of the takedown, we see it time and time again with fighters who are scared to be taken down. They are in constant fear of over committing in case they end up on the deck.
  • Blakester 7 Oct 2018 15:17:18 4,601 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I’m gutted we were denied the post-fight interviews.

Was really interested to see how Conor explained this loss.
  • Baihu1983 7 Oct 2018 15:21:30 10,534 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    I’m gutted we were denied the post-fight interviews.

Was really interested to see how Conor explained this loss.
    Always been humble in defeat so probably the same here and talking about a rematch
  • craigy Staff 7 Oct 2018 16:08:17 9,374 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Blakester Khabib was at the post-fight presser if you wanna see him say sorry and then immediately justify his behaviour. He said something funny about how when he gets home his dad will “smesh” him
  • JYM60 7 Oct 2018 17:00:35 17,569 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So dumb trying to justify his actions because of trash talk. I know McGregor is an asshat and stuff, but I don't accept that.

I don't accept 'different culture, etc' or any of that either. That's like accepting Isis.

Fight was boring, hopefully no rematch. Undercard good though.
  • Baihu1983 7 Oct 2018 17:04:57 10,534 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    First rematch should be Dillon vs Khabib.

He did more damage than Conor could in 4 rounds
  • senso-ji 7 Oct 2018 17:52:38 8,951 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    In the pre-fight vids, Dillon claimed he was 'like Khabib, but better', So surely Conor vs Dillon should be first?
  • fontgeeksogood 7 Oct 2018 18:11:34 3,670 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    JYM60 wrote:
    So dumb trying to justify his actions because of trash talk. I know McGregor is an asshat and stuff, but I don't accept that.

I don't accept 'different culture, etc' or any of that either. That's like accepting Isis.

If your promotion's golden boy gets effectively rewarded for acting like a cunt, don't get surprised when others act like cunts
  • JYM60 7 Oct 2018 18:47:44 17,569 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    JYM60 wrote:

If your promotion's golden boy gets effectively rewarded for acting like a cunt, don't get surprised when others act like cunts
    True. But I think it's different when it is done during an event or sporting arena.

Take Steven Gerrard punching someone in a public bar for example. Basically got away with it, backed by Liverpool throughout. If he was punching people in the crowd or the dugout would that have been the same?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.