The 'Official' UFC appreciation thread Page 433

• Baihu1983 27 Mar 2019 08:25:53 11,353 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Financial Times are saying he stayed at the hotel just not the night the victim claims.

Odd that only a few sites are reporting it
  • Lukus 27 Mar 2019 09:18:27 21,934 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    The whole rape story seems less true with every week that goes by as well imo.
    cough

Kinda smug about this. Not that we know for sure he did it, but got a lot of sh*t for this like I'd just made it up or something.

Edit: Though not quite sure why it's breaking now.

Edited by The-Bodybuilder at 23:13:18 26-03-2019
    No, it was more that all anyone was sourcing were Whatsapp conversations and friends of friends of friends.

I guess the NY Times thought 'Fuck it, we'll make the most of the retirement announcement and run this story from two months ago'. There doesn't appear to be any new revelations in it.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 27 Mar 2019 10:55:16 19,829 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There was a bunch of stories about an Irish sports star being arrested fo rape at the time so I wouldn't say o agree that people were just sourcing WhatsApp.
  • The-Bodybuilder 27 Mar 2019 11:22:08 17,715 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    cough

Kinda smug about this. Not that we know for sure he did it, but got a lot of sh*t for this like I'd just made it up or something.

No, it was more that all anyone was sourcing were Whatsapp conversations and friends of friends of friends.

I guess the NY Times thought 'Fuck it, we'll make the most of the retirement announcement and run this story from two months ago'. There doesn't appear to be any new revelations in it.
    I think it's a leap to just claim the NY Times effectively just jumped on conspiracy.

Outside of the whatsap stuff, what I said then and still say now was that there WAS a rape incident and a famous non-football Irish athlete was involved, handed himself in and was being investigated. That unless it was Katie Taylor, only other possible person would be Conor. The point made then was that no creditable media outlet had specifically named him, all just saying "some sports star". This is big because the NY Times have named him.

Also if you read the NY times article, it did a bit more than just tread the same stories. For one, the credibly linked him to the penthouse place and that he hired it. Does that mean he did it? Not for certain, but they've done more than just go through the same story. Although whether he was at the same time.

What's also confirmed is that he DID hand himself in and IS claiming its consensual.

Edited by The-Bodybuilder at 11:23:35 27-03-2019
  • craigy Staff 27 Mar 2019 11:24:28 9,445 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Whether the allegations are true or not, I hate that all of this tabloid rubbish is seeping in to MMA.
  • The-Bodybuilder 27 Mar 2019 11:26:51 17,715 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    There was a bunch of stories about an Irish sports star being arrested fo rape at the time so I wouldn't say o agree that people were just sourcing WhatsApp.
    Yeah, it was a lot more than just WhatsApp of whodunnit, but there was a credible story behind it all and it linking it to Conor. Whether it's true or not is a different matter, but it's pretty much beyond the idea that was just WhatsApp shots.

Also a lot of stories of Conor's behaviour had been doing the rounds for quite a while before even this story broke. It wasn't to claim he's a rapist, but that he was definitely out of control.
  • The-Bodybuilder 27 Mar 2019 11:28:33 17,715 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @craigy
    Sadly it's the cost of having the sports most high-profile personality being such a nutjob.

I mean, on one hand, boxing survived the Tyson scandals, but on the other hand, boxing built it's mainstream appeal on the shoulders of one M. Ali to begin with.

Just wish MMA's first superstar was an Ali, not a young Tyson.
  • craigy Staff 27 Mar 2019 11:31:49 9,445 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yep. It's the price of it being in the mainstream, I suppose. Shame the sport wasn't more popular when GSP was at his peak. At this point I'd prefer the sport went back to relative obscurity.
  • The-Bodybuilder 27 Mar 2019 11:32:16 17,715 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Personally I can't wait for Conor to fook off, as I'm sick of the circus that comes with him.

Time for a new star to be born, just not sure who.

Personally I think MMA has peaked anyways.
  • The-Bodybuilder 27 Mar 2019 11:34:40 17,715 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Yep. It's the price of it being in the mainstream, I suppose. Shame the sport wasn't more popular when GSP was at his peak. At this point I'd prefer the sport went back to relative obscurity.
    Oh I think it's heading back in that direction.
    It's biggest threat, is the rise of boxing's popularity again in the US. A large part of it's success was that it took the vacuum of boxing's diminished popularity in the US. If boxing makes a bit of a renaissance again, MMA will find itself in trouble.

Unless a new star can be born. One not of the ilk of Conor (the type Dana White loves so much).
  • Lukus 27 Mar 2019 15:06:54 21,934 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    cough

I think it's a leap to just claim the NY Times effectively just jumped on conspiracy.

Outside of the whatsap stuff, what I said then and still say now was that there WAS a rape incident and a famous non-football Irish athlete was involved, handed himself in and was being investigated. That unless it was Katie Taylor, only other possible person would be Conor. The point made then was that no creditable media outlet had specifically named him, all just saying "some sports star". This is big because the NY Times have named him.

Also if you read the NY times article, it did a bit more than just tread the same stories. For one, the credibly linked him to the penthouse place and that he hired it. Does that mean he did it? Not for certain, but they've done more than just go through the same story. Although whether he was at the same time.

What's also confirmed is that he DID hand himself in and IS claiming its consensual.
    I'm not sure where you've got conspiracy from? It was a story that the press weren't able to run, at least not with the name of the accused. The NY Times have now decided fuck it and run the story with names.

Genuinely though, at the time, there was so much shit going round on WhatsApp that it seemed to be where the tabloids were sourcing their stories. Anyone who saw the 30 or so screenshots doing the rounds must surely see that.
  • Baihu1983 27 Mar 2019 22:07:33 11,353 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If anything he retired because white said he had no chance of owning any part of the UFC
  • BigOrkWaaagh 27 Mar 2019 22:09:31 8,684 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bones Stipe looking likely for July, that will be an interesting fight.
  • Baihu1983 27 Mar 2019 22:12:56 11,353 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Stripe to lose after eye poke again
  • BigOrkWaaagh 28 Mar 2019 12:13:41 8,684 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well that rumour didn't last long, it's now Bones vs Thiago Santos. Jones smokes him imo, I don't think there's anyone at LHW now who even realistically poses a threat. Santos is probably the most likely of all contenders to win but I don't know who's next. I hope it's not Johnny Walker who everyone seems to be losing his minds over. Yes he's been impressive and I have enjoyed watching his fights, but he's far too green - so far we have no idea how he copes after the one minute mark.
  • Frogofdoom 28 Mar 2019 12:14:59 13,275 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Santos deserves his shot and can end any fight with one punch but that's about his only shot at winning I think.
  • Lukus 28 Mar 2019 12:31:59 21,934 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Jones is too smart a fighter for him. Santos wins in brawls. I don't think Jones will let him get close enough to land anything.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 31 Mar 2019 14:07:57 8,684 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Card last night was pretty decent, but I saw ONE FC was broadcasting live on YouTube this morning. I've not really paid them too much attention in the past but since Mighty Mouse was on I thought I'd give it a watch, and it was a really good night/morning of fights, will definitely tune in if they do that again.
  • Lukus 2 Apr 2019 21:28:58 21,934 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Malignaggi just took a slap at the GOAT. His life is now forfeit.
  • Baihu1983 3 Apr 2019 08:49:50 11,353 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep one tweet simply referred to her as a towel.

Guys lost it and just needs to fuck off
  • Baihu1983 7 Apr 2019 07:41:38 11,353 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Amateur fighter jumped Bret Hart at last night's WWE hall of fame.

Travis brown was one of the many to show him that's not a good idea

https://twitter.com/AhYezzir/status/1114691725845508096?s=19
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Apr 2019 07:52:33 10,273 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There's a photo doing the rounds that's supposedly the guys face afterwards

Between Brown and the KO punch from Dash Wilder on the way out his face looks like hamburger meat.

But you've got to be a serious grade moron to attack one of the most beloved wrestlers of all time while surrounded by wrestlers, mma fighters and giant powerlifters like that.

Security look happy to let the angry giants take care of things too.

I wonder how "old school" it got backstage
  • Baihu1983 7 Apr 2019 08:17:51 11,353 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Some of these tweets are just...

https://twitter.com/iAmMad______sen?s=09

Hopefully they knocked some sense into him
  • mothercruncher 7 Apr 2019 17:34:11 16,218 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Itís weird- they didnít give him 30 seconds to mug to the camera and milk the crowd like they usually do after a piledriveratomicslam?
  • Lukus 7 Apr 2019 18:16:38 21,934 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Was that DDevil?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.