Following Travelling... Page 48

• bentrophy 3 Dec 2018 01:47:17 8 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 2 weeks ago
    I got peace of mind just by looking at that photo. I need a view like that whenever I feel toxic.
  • Armoured_Bear 3 Dec 2018 12:18:11 24,976 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    River between Nong Khiaw and Muang Ngoi is quite bloody stunning :

• wobbly_Bob 3 Dec 2018 14:11:34 4,756 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I took the 2 day river boat from Thailand to Luang Prabang and it all looks like that so if you enjoy that you can have 2 days of it. One of the best things I've done. I really recommend it.
  • Armoured_Bear 3 Dec 2018 14:59:24 24,976 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    I took the 2 day river boat from Thailand to Luang Prabang and it all looks like that so if you enjoy that you can have 2 days of it. One of the best things I've done. I really recommend it.
    Cool, I was always a bit wary of that boat with the stories of a million backpackers squeezed on in cramped conditions. I take it yours want like that?
    How was your day in Luang Prabang?
  • Salaman 3 Dec 2018 16:50:35 23,324 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Anyone been to Utrecht? Worth it? Planning a day trip from Amsterdam to there next year.

Also any tips/advice on beer (and spirits, liquor, wine) when it comes to Amsterdam? I know it's not the best place in the world when it comes to this but I still love to sample the local (and I don't mean Heineken and Amstel) tipples wherever I go.

Cheers!
    Lots of pubs in the Netherlands sell Belgian beer now, so you should be OK. ;-) Hertog Jan is a decent Dutch beer and Grolsch is a nice local lager.
    Not been to Utrecht I think. If I was doing a day trip from Amsterdam I'd probably go to Leiden or s'Hertogenbosch or some place over Utrecht. The Hague is nice as well.
  • Vortex808 3 Dec 2018 17:07:50 12,867 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Utrecht is fine. We went there last year (I think) and I liked it a lot. It had a building with a UFO crashed into the roof, which I was amused by more than I possibly should have been. :-)

There were lots of shops to potter about in and lots of restaurants by the central canals, but we were there in summer, so not sure how that'd be at this time of year!

Leiden was pretty, but it is basically a university town, I felt Utrecht had a bit more buzz about it, but we took the train there for the day and only had a fairly superficial exploration as it was just a quick day visit. There was a market in Utrecht where they were selling large stroopwaffles straight off the press which were awesome though.

Amsterdam has many places selling loads of beers. They were very much into the whole craft beer stuff when I was there last, so getting nice brews will not be an issue.

I did have quite a few Belgian ones whilst there too, as Sal has mentioned. ;-)

Edited by Vortex808 at 17:08:19 03-12-2018
  • Syrette 3 Dec 2018 17:13:49 50,039 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Excellent, cheers guys.
  • smoothpete 3 Dec 2018 18:39:49 35,164 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    there are a ton of places for good beer in Amsterdam. I particularly like Proeflokaal Arendsnest on Herengracht (number 90).

Does well on tripadvisor too.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g188590-d523492-Reviews-Proeflokaal_Arendsnest-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html

Edited by smoothpete at 18:40:43 03-12-2018
  • You-can-call-me-kal 3 Dec 2018 18:58:45 12,841 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I went to Utrecht for an afternoon. I seem to remember a very pretty cathedral, although it might have been somewhere else. It was over 20 years ago and I was super mashed.
  • JoelStinty 3 Dec 2018 19:14:31 6,985 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Nice Photos AB! Longing to go back already :I

In many ways coming back as been a good thing because it made it clearer how i felt those first two months away, i liked it more than i realised although i still feel conflicted by some things, but yeah bring on more trips next year!
  • Destria 3 Dec 2018 20:11:12 2,867 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    Cool, I was always a bit wary of that boat with the stories of a million backpackers squeezed on in cramped conditions. I take it yours want like that?
    /de-lurks

One of my favourite trips that. Absolutely loved Laos and that boat trip down the Mekong. Only had seven of us on the boat, so was perfect!
  • wobbly_Bob 4 Dec 2018 01:51:42 4,756 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    Yeah it pretty much is loads of backpackers squeezed in to a boat. I didn't mind so much but your mileage may vary. The stunning landscape was worth it. I absolutely loved it. You can opt for a more comfortable boat with less people but obviously that's more money.

I'm still here in Luang Prabang. I Impulsively booked 5 days here. Had a good walk around yesterday. Wow so pretty still feels like Disney land Laos. I'm guessing the whole of Laos is going to be this way.
  • Armoured_Bear 4 Dec 2018 03:08:52 24,976 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    Yeah it pretty much is loads of backpackers squeezed in to a boat. I didn't mind so much but your mileage may vary. The stunning landscape was worth it. I absolutely loved it. You can opt for a more comfortable boat with less people but obviously that's more money.

I'm still here in Luang Prabang. I Impulsively booked 5 days here. Had a good walk around yesterday. Wow so pretty still feels like Disney land Laos. I'm guessing the whole of Laos is going to be this way.
    We spent the day yesterday with a nice German girl who did one of the more expensive rides and loves it too.

I donít think the rest of Laos is like Luang Prabang, itís very much the centre of tourism and I think the rest of the place has a lot less tourists. Here (Nong Khiaw) is just a village in a stunning valley surrounded by Karst mountains with some small hotels and restaurants , not huge numbers of tourists. There seems to be loads of isolated villages , often only reachable by boat in this amazing countryside full of thick jungle and mountains . Pretty special place.

Iíve got a shitty cold and my throat is killing me so Iím necking a load of ginger tea and hoping for the best. My sleep was disturbed by what I can only imagine was some trapped animal in the roof of our wee bungalow/hut things, scratching and banging away at 5am. Once that had me awake, the cockerels started ! Will be a lazy day but hoping to do a nice hike :)
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Dec 2018 15:33:51 24,976 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The hike was bloody hard with this heat and humidity but what a reward at the top:

• RyanDS 5 Dec 2018 15:42:40 12,258 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I am so so so fucking jealous.

I turn 40 tomorrow and just fucking hate being stuck here at my desk on a grey day like today.

50/50 I may just finish work tomorrow and fuck off on my motorbike to france for a couple of days. Depends on weather.

Loving the pics!
  • KnuttinAtoll 5 Dec 2018 16:03:43 6,405 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Will be back in Thailand (Ko Phangan & BKK) today in 2 weeks. Can't wait... although made somewhat of a schoolboy error and didn't check the climate for December, which is the end of wet season in the Gulf so expecting some rain.

But then, at around 30 degrees still beats the drab and dark weather here!
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Dec 2018 17:16:05 24,976 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Will be back in Thailand (Ko Phangan & BKK) today in 2 weeks. Can't wait... although made somewhat of a schoolboy error and didn't check the climate for December, which is the end of wet season in the Gulf so expecting some rain.

Can you change Ko Phangan for somewhere on the Andaman side or the Trat islands?
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Dec 2018 17:28:08 24,976 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    I am so so so fucking jealous.

I turn 40 tomorrow and just fucking hate being stuck here at my desk on a grey day like today.

50/50 I may just finish work tomorrow and fuck off on my motorbike to france for a couple of days. Depends on weather.

Loving the pics!
    Cheers, get working on that next trip!!!
  • KnuttinAtoll 6 Dec 2018 08:53:04 6,405 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:

Can you change Ko Phangan for somewhere on the Andaman side or the Trat islands?
    Nope, and to be honest don't really want to. We've been to the particular resort before and it's absolute paradise.

Conversely, going to somewhere like Phuket which, last time we visited (off season in April a few years back), was completely overrun by nasty and rude Russians was a big turn off and won't go there ever again. Really felt sorry for the local staff being treated like sh** by them.
  • Tonka 6 Dec 2018 09:13:40 28,756 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @KnuttinAtoll where on Koh Phangan are you going? I was there 15 years ago and have fond memories of some twin beaches that I think are Thong Nai Pan Yai Beach. Up on the north east end.
  • KnuttinAtoll 6 Dec 2018 09:33:11 6,405 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Tonka Staying in the Santhiya, so yep that beach is next to it. Loved everything - the hotel is the best we've been to (hope it hasn't deteriorated) and has set the bar incredibly high... we thought of staying elsewhere but other hotels compared poorly (unless you're prepared to pay serious $$$$).

While it's not exactly cheap either, the room, food and service was great and the nearby beach has a lovely cocktail bar and Thai massages for peanuts, plus a small village with plenty of family run restaurants serving tasty food.
  • Darth_Flibble 6 Dec 2018 09:43:46 3,215 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    All these nice pics is making me want to book my next holiday, thinking of doing a group adventure holiday for 30 to 40's (My trip this year was really nice but didn't meet up with other tourists that much because I stayed in nice hotels and I've found if you stay in backpacker places, people are more open and friendly.)

KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Conversely, going to somewhere like Phuket which, last time we visited (off season in April a few years back), was completely overrun by nasty and rude Russians was a big turn off and won't go there ever again. Really felt sorry for the local staff being treated like sh** by them.
    Its really a crap hole now (mainly Patong) my ex girlfriend booked at trip in 2013 or 2014, we had 3 days in Patong and it was horrible, as you say overrun by nasty and rude Russians, the worst ones these roided up skin head types with mafia style tatoos down their necks. I went in 2006 to phuket, while touristy, it was never that bad
  • KnuttinAtoll 6 Dec 2018 10:01:43 6,405 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Darth_Flibble

Its really a crap hole now (mainly Patong) my ex girlfriend booked at trip in 2013 or 2014, we had 3 days in Patong and it was horrible, as you say overrun by nasty and rude Russians, the worst ones these roided up skin head types with mafia style tatoos down their necks. I went in 2006 to phuket, while touristy, it was never that bad
    Yeah, this is the 3rd time we'll be going - went to Phuket twice (both times we avoided Patong like the plague, couldn't even be bothered to make a daytrip "safari" to see what it's like) and the first time it was actually pretty pleasant; stayed at one of the northern beaches which was fairly quiet. But the second visit was different, thanks to the Russians. Grim faced meat heads with no manners and the attitude they own the place (and judging by Russian sign translations in local shops outdoing the English ones even, that seems to be the case now).
  • Tonka 6 Dec 2018 10:05:21 28,756 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @KnuttinAtoll Is it the one up on the knoll between the two beaches? It was nice back in 2004 but looking at internet pictures of it now they've made it even better.
  • KnuttinAtoll 6 Dec 2018 10:08:35 6,405 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Tonka it's spread over a hill alright, the adjacent beach is private and belongs to the hotel. Only takes a quick 2 min walk across to the larger public one, which is also how you access the village. I was there last time in 2011 so if things just stayed the way they were then we'll be more than happy.

Edit -
    https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g303907-d619340-Reviews-Santhiya_Koh_Phangan_Resort_Spa-Ko_Pha_Ngan_Surat_Thani_Province.html

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 10:09:54 06-12-2018
  • nickthegun 6 Dec 2018 10:10:16 75,837 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sounds similar to when I went travelling to Cyprus a few years ago. It's a bit of a money laundering haven so there's shit loads of these fat russian meatheads with their mistresses strolling about like they own the place.
  • Tonka 6 Dec 2018 10:11:08 28,756 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Live as if you own the world and you do.
  • KnuttinAtoll 6 Dec 2018 10:16:21 6,405 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I remember when we checked in at the hotel (Phuket), this Russian gang (suppose it could've been a family) took hold of half the lobby - while one of the women had a couple of their suitcases laid open with half their clothes spread out, searching for something I suppose, the gang leader I mean husband stood around there with nothing on but a small, red speedo (and he wasn't exactly physically gifted).

That was the first impression we got from the place (hotel itself was ok, not their fault for guests behaving like that to be fair).
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Dec 2018 11:48:46 24,976 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thereís loads of lovely places a short feeey from Phuket. The likes of Koh Yao Noi and Koh Kradan are beautiful.
    On Phuket itself, Iíve only really been to Phuket town which is totally fine.
  • RyanDS 6 Dec 2018 11:53:41 12,258 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I love Phuket Old Town.

And there are some lovely beaches an hour drive north.

Patong and that area is hell on earth though.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.