Following Travelling... Page 49

Next Last
  • nickthegun 6 Dec 2018 12:02:15 75,881 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So.... did you decide to leave your desk for your 40th?

(also: happy birthday)
  • RyanDS 6 Dec 2018 12:38:44 12,275 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nope. Just at my desk.

/Off to the depression thread...
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Dec 2018 14:12:52 24,977 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Nope. Just at my desk.

/Off to the depression thread...
    Back to the travelling thread with your next plans you mean.
  • Tonka 6 Dec 2018 14:21:23 28,767 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    40 is such a fucking bastard. You cant pretend like it's nothing. 40+ on the other hand... Life's never been better.
  • RyanDS 13 Dec 2018 16:33:00 12,275 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My boss at my contract just reminded me that I agreed 210 days work per year when I signed up here, and if I am not to go over because I would exceed budget. Got enforced 2 weeks over Christmas, but then just need to make my own plans. So a month trip is on the cards.

Currently thinking to chill from travelling so frenetically, and just chill somewhere for a month. Looking around I can fly to Hanoi at start of March, returning 30 days later for £320. A private room in a hostel if £210 for a month in the old quarter. Or an apartment in Phnom Penh is around $200USD for a month. So I want to try to get away with maybe £1500 total for the trip.

I quite like the idea of just living somewhere and chilling for a month, with a week "holiday in the holiday" to actually explore a bit and head to the sites.

Anyone got any recommendations on a good city to use as a base? 2018 I did Hong Kong, Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, Belgium, France, Germany, Malaysia, Thailand, Thailand and Cambodia. All in around 6 weeks of trips of 2 weeks each. I really want to just find a single country to really get to know it better. Currently debating Cambodia (as I loved it) or Vietnam (As I really haven't seen much of it) but any suggestions appreciated.
  • wobbly_Bob 18 Dec 2018 05:42:47 4,762 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    My boss at my contract just reminded me that I agreed 210 days work per year when I signed up here, and if I am not to go over because I would exceed budget. Got enforced 2 weeks over Christmas, but then just need to make my own plans. So a month trip is on the cards.

Currently thinking to chill from travelling so frenetically, and just chill somewhere for a month. Looking around I can fly to Hanoi at start of March, returning 30 days later for £320. A private room in a hostel if £210 for a month in the old quarter. Or an apartment in Phnom Penh is around $200USD for a month. So I want to try to get away with maybe £1500 total for the trip.

I quite like the idea of just living somewhere and chilling for a month, with a week "holiday in the holiday" to actually explore a bit and head to the sites.

Anyone got any recommendations on a good city to use as a base? 2018 I did Hong Kong, Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, Belgium, France, Germany, Malaysia, Thailand, Thailand and Cambodia. All in around 6 weeks of trips of 2 weeks each. I really want to just find a single country to really get to know it better. Currently debating Cambodia (as I loved it) or Vietnam (As I really haven't seen much of it) but any suggestions appreciated.
    I'm in Hanoi, Vietnam right now and love it. I've only been in Vietnam for a day but I absolutely love it. The collision of old and new gives it a great look and feel. I love the energy. The food is great. I would spend a month here. Plus there's a lot do do in and around the area.

Thailand was good but Bangkok probably my least favourite although I could live there for a month. I didn't like Laos at all. It's a run down boring version of Thailand. Luang Prabang would appeal to those that like to go to another country without having the stranyfood or locals. Vang Vieng is great if I were 20 and loved to party or enjoying adventure sports. I'm 47 and don't. Vientiane is just dull and empty although I liked it the most.
  • RyanDS 18 Dec 2018 08:53:33 12,275 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I loved Vientiane. But then it came after Hanoi and Hong Kong so the laid back vibe was perfect. A few good nights just chilling watching the sun set over the Mekong was one of the best times I have had in Asia. Also getting to meet locals who weren't just there for tourist trap shit.

My favourite moment was just randomly chatting to some guys in a bar, and they ordered some snacks. One of the was small eggs, and I asked what they were (before they had eaten any) and they offered me some. Turns out was petite balut, and when offered it was a sincere "here, share our food" rather than "lets see tourist eat this."

Actually turned out to be rather nice, I recommend it if you can stomach it. It's not like the scorpions and shit that are there for fun, it is genuine food.

Edited by RyanDS at 08:56:32 18-12-2018
  • Salaman 18 Dec 2018 09:23:50 23,334 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:

I bless the rains down in Africa
    (I bless the rain)
    (I bless the rain)
    (Ah, gonna take the time)
    Gonna take some time to do the things we never had

Have you considered setting up shop in a lodge in Africa somewhere for a month?
  • wobbly_Bob 19 Dec 2018 07:20:52 4,762 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    I loved Vientiane. But then it came after Hanoi and Hong Kong so the laid back vibe was perfect. A few good nights just chilling watching the sun set over the Mekong was one of the best times I have had in Asia. Also getting to meet locals who weren't just there for tourist trap shit.
    I did like Vientiane. Everybody is always so down on it although I didn't love it. I probably would like it more if I had gone the same direction as you. Traveling through Thailand then Laos which yeah basically is Thailand 2.0 but more expensive, poorer, and less interesting. By the time I've reached Vientiane I'm so desperate for something new, different and exciting. I absolutely love Thai food and it's still my favourite but after a month and a half of it I now want something new. Also wats are amazing but after the 50th wat yeah ok I've seen it now.

Hanoi is such a refreshing change. I'm not sure if I'll go home or carry on. I'm fairly home sick. If I did carry on then I would probably go for something like Malaysia, Philippines, or Indonesia just for something different. Ifeel like Cambodia and Myanmar are just going to be a lot like Thailand/Laos.

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 07:28:37 19-12-2018

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 07:30:55 19-12-2018

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 07:32:02 19-12-2018
  • Tonka 19 Dec 2018 07:31:09 28,767 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I keep wondering when Africa will take off as a travel destination.

Zimbabwe is amazing. At least it was when I was there in -91

Edited by Tonka at 07:54:24 19-12-2018
  • RyanDS 19 Dec 2018 08:34:10 12,275 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well I am from Africa originally. I don't head back to South Africa much as I find it just too depressing. It is not the SA of my youth (thank god) so no memories to go back to, and I find it really depressing that the rainbow nation never materialized and in many ways it is getting worse, going back and finding my friends racist as ever is just fucking a killer. I need two hands to count people I know murdered, and would be on toes before counting friends raped and shot.

Rest of Africa I really want to do, but I really need someone to go with. I don't see it as a solo backpacking region. Great for group tours, or road trips, but not really backpacking.
  • Tonka 19 Dec 2018 09:10:56 28,767 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Is it that grim in SA? Fuck. Beautiful country though.

I went on a road trip from Lesotho up to Victoria Falls with a friend and his family when I was 16. Loved the scenery. Gorgeous landscapes in many different forms.

It was different back then, apartheid was still going I think? Zimbabwe was ruled by whites. At one time we got lost in some South African town. Looked at the road atlas and headed for a hotel in down town. They just laughed and said "This isn't for you" sent us off to a country club outside the city.

White water rafting on the Zambezi river was kick ass. Great Zimbabwe National Park is the most beautiful place I've seen.
  • JoelStinty 19 Dec 2018 09:16:12 7,012 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Weird that SA as come up as I might be going to Tanzania next year to trek Kilimanjaro. Went out for pizza with a few old school friends on Tuesday and the idea popped up. A friendís brother sadly lost his daughter last month and she wanted to do something big (she travels a lot anyway) and it is kind of what she has internally settled on and asked whether I like to join her and Iím up for it! So hopefully this will happen!
  • RyanDS 19 Dec 2018 09:37:59 12,275 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SA is amazing for a holiday. Not so much for living or backpacking.

It is a grim place to live, and my last relatives out there are looking to leave. Just too much violence and crime in general. We are talking 6th generation families who love the country finally leaving now.

But that is to live there. The crime etc is home invasions and such. No one fucks with tourists. I have never heard of a tourist having any issues.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.