• Tonka 27 Mar 2019 12:34:55 29,826 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Isn't Carcassone in that general area?
    (Has no idea)
  • Tonka 27 Mar 2019 12:36:52 29,826 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm off to Fujian, China in two weeks or so. I really need a change of scenery.

My biggest conundrum is whether or not I bring my big ass noise cancelling headphones. Yes, nice to have on the plane BUT a pain to have the rest of the time.
  • Salaman 27 Mar 2019 12:53:08 23,695 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Anyone got any recommendations for good villages / towns in France and Belgium?

Was thinking for Easter to do a bike trip, get the Eurotunnel and then just explore.

I need to do Ghent, but apart from that have no plans. In particular I am looking for somewhere fairly close to Calais for the first night (I don't want to spend more than 90 minutes of so on the motorbike after the whole get to Folkestone, get the Eurotunnel etc.)

Places I have done before are:
    Ypres - I fucking love
    Bruge
    Lille
    Le Touquet
    Antwerp
    Dunkirk

Open to any suggestions.
    You could take the E40 along the coast after Calais and stop off at any of the seaside resorts there. De Haan stands apart a bit because it doesn't have high rise apartments on the main promenade.

Ghent is worth a visit of course. Let me know if you do stop by in Ghent. Might be able to meet you in town or join you for a bike ride depending on your dates. I have April 20-201 penciled in for a little bike tour with a friend at the moment.

Other stuff worth checking out: Oudenaarde, Mechelen, Brussels. The Ardennes are great by bike: rolling hills and meandering roads.
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Mar 2019 15:07:08 27,418 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Isn't Carcassone in that general area?
    (Has no idea)
    It's exactly the opposite side of the country :)
  • Tonka 27 Mar 2019 15:26:09 29,826 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Att least I got the country right.
    (Belgium isn't it?)
  • Salaman 28 Mar 2019 14:47:13 23,695 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @RyanDS .. forgot to tag you in my reply a few posts up.

I'd PM you but you know ...
  • RyanDS 28 Mar 2019 14:57:13 12,882 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah, awesome. Cheers mate.

Supposed to be coming over Easter weekend, but potentially may be sooner.

I was supposed to be meeting a friend in Poland in a couple of weeks, but she is excited by the idea of a bike trip instead so will be joining me. Apart from Ghent, which is my must do, I'll go wherever she wants even if I am retreading ground. It'll be her first Europe trip so she gets priority.
  • Armoured_Bear 28 Mar 2019 15:15:04 27,418 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @RyanDS
    What about Maastricht ?
    Supposed to be lovely.
  • Deleted user 28 March 2019 15:26:58
    Post deleted
  • Salaman 28 Mar 2019 15:45:47 23,695 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @RyanDS Ah, a Polish lady. Bonkers but generally worth it. ;-)

You can drop me an email if you know when you'll be in the country. EG username at gmail.
  • Tonka 6 Apr 2019 19:23:55 29,826 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'll be going to Lisbon at the end of June.
    Really looking forward to go back there, last time was seven years ago.

I've started assembling a list of things to see and would love some recommendations.

So far I've got
    Museum of science and architecture
    The aquarium
    Sintra with various castles and ruins
    Some place called FactoryX or similar
    Day trip to Cascais
  • fontgeeksogood 10 Apr 2019 09:50:19 6,992 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I'm in Romania. Specifically Timisoara. It's quite nice here, and the 4G coverage is incredible - which is, let's be honest - what matters
  • Armoured_Bear 10 Apr 2019 10:28:23 27,418 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    I'm in Romania. Specifically Timisoara. It's quite nice here, and the 4G coverage is incredible - which is, let's be honest - what matters
    What are you up to there?
  • Armoured_Bear 10 Apr 2019 10:29:12 27,418 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    I'll be going to Lisbon at the end of June.
    Really looking forward to go back there, last time was seven years ago.

I've started assembling a list of things to see and would love some recommendations.

So far I've got
    Museum of science and architecture
    The aquarium
    Sintra with various castles and ruins
    Some place called FactoryX or similar
    Day trip to Cascais
    I haven't yet been to Lisbon, probably top of my European Cities to visit list.
    Lucky bugger!
  • fontgeeksogood 10 Apr 2019 10:40:51 6,992 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Work until the weekend and then being a tourist cunt. FYI not seen much in the way of street food
  • Armoured_Bear 10 Apr 2019 10:44:44 27,418 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Work until the weekend and then being a tourist cunt. FYI not seen much in the way of street food
    That's why I've avoided the place.
    On the other hand, I'm going to Fukuoka in October and they have a shit ton of glorious, sweet, sweet street food.
  • Tonka 10 Apr 2019 11:47:19 29,826 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Northern Portugal (only bit of Portugal I've seen) is fantastic. Well worth a visit.
    Lisbon, Porto, Obidos & Evora were all really good in their own way.
  • Armoured_Bear 10 Apr 2019 12:44:17 27,418 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Northern Portugal (only bit of Portugal I've seen) is fantastic. Well worth a visit.
    Lisbon, Porto, Obidos & Evora were all really good in their own way.
    Yeah, I've visited Viseu, Aveiro, Porto etc. the scenery in the North is really beautiful.
  • anephric 14 Apr 2019 10:44:03 3,424 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm off to Nice for a week soon, haven't been for over 20 years so looking forward to that, will have a day trip to Monte Carlo and all that.

My mum-in-law has come into some money and has offered to take us to Hawaii with a few days stopover in either Vancouver or LA (I'd prefer Vancouver) so looking forward to that too. My holiday plans have been denuded by my missus taking a pay cut to get away from her toxic old job and me probably taking a bit of a pay cut soon to go somewhere else far less stressful.
  • RyanDS 19 Apr 2019 20:23:02 12,882 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yesterday decided on the spur of the moment to take a half day at work and head to Europe. Jumped on the motorbike, got the eurotunnel and ended up in calais at 4pm.

Plan was to find a little place nearby, spend the night then start exploring, but weather was so good and bike was feeling so lovely I decided to head straight to Ghent. Glad I did. What a lovely place. Friendly people, beautiful canals, loads of history and best of all in my opinion, a place you can just walk. I did about 10km last night just strolling around.

Today plan was to ride to Rotterdam or Amsterdam but fuck me. There are no hotels full stop. I met Salaman at lunch, really great to meet another eurogamer regular to put face to a name and had a great time. Really made me feel welcome and showed me around and some good history. Managed to get a cancellation in a hotel so only paid £70 instead of the £120 which genuinely is the cheapest I could find within 100 miles.

Anyway, I cannot recommend Ghent highly enough. I loved bruge, and this is similar but just feels friendlier, the canal boat trip is wonderful as well and the castle is one of the best I have visited.

Tomorrow off to Amiens. Never heard of it, no idea what is there. But it is in the right direction on the map, I have a motorbike, and will see when I get there.

Fuck I love travel.
  • Deleted user 19 April 2019 20:28:48
    @RyanDS sounds like a lot of fun.

I used to do things like that when I had a motorbike. Just used to think “what’s down that road” and go and explore.
  • wobbly_Bob 19 Apr 2019 20:46:34 5,144 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Yesterday decided on the spur of the moment to take a half day at work and head to Europe. Jumped on the motorbike, got the eurotunnel and ended up in calais at 4pm.

Plan was to find a little place nearby, spend the night then start exploring, but weather was so good and bike was feeling so lovely I decided to head straight to Ghent. Glad I did. What a lovely place. Friendly people, beautiful canals, loads of history and best of all in my opinion, a place you can just walk. I did about 10km last night just strolling around.

Today plan was to ride to Rotterdam or Amsterdam but fuck me. There are no hotels full stop. I met Salaman at lunch, really great to meet another eurogamer regular to put face to a name and had a great time. Really made me feel welcome and showed me around and some good history. Managed to get a cancellation in a hotel so only paid £70 instead of the £120 which genuinely is the cheapest I could find within 100 miles.

Anyway, I cannot recommend Ghent highly enough. I loved bruge, and this is similar but just feels friendlier, the canal boat trip is wonderful as well and the castle is one of the best I have visited.

Tomorrow off to Amiens. Never heard of it, no idea what is there. But it is in the right direction on the map, I have a motorbike, and will see when I get there.

Fuck I love travel.
    Wow. That sounds amazing. Makes me wish I could ride a bike.

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 20:47:01 19-04-2019
  • Armoured_Bear 19 Apr 2019 21:40:51 27,418 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @RyanDS
    Awesome stuff.
    I also loved Ghent, beautiful, real city, much preferred it to Bruges which feels like a theme park.
  • RyanDS 19 Apr 2019 23:11:05 12,882 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The nice thing in Ghent is (apart from the rock bars I always go to everywhere I can) you don’t hear much English. It feels like you are in Belgium whereas as you say Bruges is a little touristy.
  • anephric 20 Apr 2019 09:53:22 3,424 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Half the people who served me the last time I went to Bruges were English. It's more than a bit touristy.
  • RyanDS 20 Apr 2019 12:15:53 12,882 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Have to say Amiens is rather nice. Only been here a couple of hours but nice green and wide city with loads of open spaces. Just had lunch by a canal and was great and half the price of Ghent. Very friendly and welcoming place as well.

One thing I notice here is I have never found the cliche of the rude french who refuse English. Rather I have always found them extremely welcoming even though my french is literally limited to bonjour and merci.

Hell when I pulled up at the hotel I parked my bike up and went to ask where I should park it, and the receptionist came out and walked me with my bike to the private loading bay secure out back saying even though it is safe anywhere I may feel more comfortable leaving it there.

I always make a point of apologising for not speaking the language though, which I think is appreciated a bit.
  • Armoured_Bear 20 Apr 2019 14:39:32 27,418 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Have to say Amiens is rather nice. Only been here a couple of hours but nice green and wide city with loads of open spaces. Just had lunch by a canal and was great and half the price of Ghent. Very friendly and welcoming place as well.

One thing I notice here is I have never found the cliche of the rude french who refuse English. Rather I have always found them extremely welcoming even though my french is literally limited to bonjour and merci.

Hell when I pulled up at the hotel I parked my bike up and went to ask where I should park it, and the receptionist came out and walked me with my bike to the private loading bay secure out back saying even though it is safe anywhere I may feel more comfortable leaving it there.

I always make a point of apologising for not speaking the language though, which I think is appreciated a bit.
    IMO the rude French cliché is a bit of a creation of idiot English tourists who shout at people in English and are amazed to sometimes get a frosty response.
    I lived and worked France for 3 years and met endless lovely and friendly people. In fact, the huge group of work colleagues I had are by far the best I ever had.
    France is awesome.
  • anephric 20 Apr 2019 17:31:10 3,424 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The difference between Paris 20 years ago and now is quite profound. I just about got by with my naff French (although I've got no excuse as I did French for eight years and should be fucking fluent) where no-one would speak English back to you even if you were struggling to pretty much every Parisian I spoke to responding in English (and not in a patronising way).

No rude waiters either! Falling over themselves to reply in extremely idiomatic English rather than taking the piss quite openly in French, even in upmarket places.
  • Tonka 22 Apr 2019 10:32:22 29,826 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm in Xiamen, Fujian and there's an area that is bang smack on that sweet spot juuust before gentrification turns boring.

Right now it's heaven, and also a five minute walk from the cyberpunk skyscraper where we're staying.

Tons of cool shops and cafés and restaurants and tiny bbq holes in the wall and full of cool kids being cool kids and a fake full moon and a grumpy old fart refusing to sell his house sitting in his porch looking disgusted and right behind the waterfront there are smelly fish markets and locals eating dinner on dingy plastic chairs in pajamas and flip flops and there's a store that sells beer from all over the world in bottles and cans and you sit outside the store and drink it and Alice it all the LED lights up the skyscrapers and it's warm and balmy and kick ass.

And two years from now it will be nothing but Uniqlo and Starbucks

Edited by Tonka at 10:33:18 22-04-2019

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.