Travelling... Page 55

• TechnoHippy 22 Apr 2019 10:37:33 15,435 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm jealous of the impromptu road trip - sounds like great fun.
  • DaM 22 Apr 2019 12:11:18 17,384 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    I'm in Xiamen, Fujian and there's an area that is bang smack on that sweet spot juuust before gentrification turns boring.

Right now it's heaven, and also a five minute walk from the cyberpunk skyscraper where we're staying.

Tons of cool shops and cafés and restaurants and tiny bbq holes in the wall and full of cool kids being cool kids and a fake full moon and a grumpy old fart refusing to sell his house sitting in his porch looking disgusted and right behind the waterfront there are smelly fish markets and locals eating dinner on dingy plastic chairs in pajamas and flip flops and there's a store that sells beer from all over the world in bottles and cans and you sit outside the store and drink it and Alice it all the LED lights up the skyscrapers and it's warm and balmy and kick ass.

And two years from now it will be nothing but Uniqlo and Starbucks
    That sounds awesome... I'm toying with a trip to China later in the year, I have a long time supplier in Xiamen....
  • philreeduk 22 Apr 2019 13:17:25 520 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My next work opportunity will be in either Rome or Bangkok and both jobs have equal appeal, is it bad I am basing these options now on where it will allow me to travel to? I have always wanted to explore south-east Asia and the opportunities for cheap travel will be numerous flying from Thailand within the region. However, Rome has its charms, Italy is such a beautiful (if expensive!) country, and it has amazing links to the middle east and North Africa. Has anyone ever lived in or travelled around South East Asia? any tips for a newbie?
  • anephric 22 Apr 2019 13:24:41 3,424 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rome's fucking failing to bits, not sure I'd want to live there at the mo.
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Apr 2019 13:25:21 27,418 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    philreeduk wrote:
    My next work opportunity will be in either Rome or Bangkok and both jobs have equal appeal, is it bad I am basing these options now on where it will allow me to travel to? I have always wanted to explore south-east Asia and the opportunities for cheap travel will be numerous flying from Thailand within the region. However, Rome has its charms, Italy is such a beautiful (if expensive!) country, and it has amazing links to the middle east and North Africa. Has anyone ever lived in or travelled around South East Asia? any tips for a newbie?
    Depends on where you are based now, If you're from the UK, then much of Europe is relatively on your doorstep as it is whereas a base in SE Asia is more of a special opportunity.
    Being able to grab a cheap flight and be in Hong Kong/japan/Thai beaches/Vietnam/Malaysia/Cambodia etc. is pretty awesome.
  • Tonka 22 Apr 2019 13:28:23 29,826 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @DaM the area was called Shapowei
  • KnuttinAtoll 23 Apr 2019 13:31:37 7,438 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    philreeduk wrote:
    Depends on where you are based now, If you're from the UK, then much of Europe is relatively on your doorstep as it is whereas a base in SE Asia is more of a special opportunity.
    Being able to grab a cheap flight and be in Hong Kong/japan/Thai beaches/Vietnam/Malaysia/Cambodia etc. is pretty awesome.
    I would go with Rome, still a more pleasant city than BKK especially if you have to work and live in the place.

Bangkok is fine for 2-3 days (was there during Christmas last year) but was glad to leave in the end, and while we'll definitely go to Thailand again, we'll keep staying in BKK to an absolute minimum.

Too busy, dirty, air pollution is horrible, traffic is a disaster, and personally I'd struggle with the humidity on a daily basis especially if having to wear office attire.
  • RyanDS 23 Apr 2019 14:26:42 12,882 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BKK is huge though, and there are some nice areas. Most people only see the centre and miss out on the actual city where people live.

Traffic just use Grab motorbikes to get around. The people I know who live there use it non stop, just booking each day for the commute.

Humidity is a point though, although I think most people will ignore it shortly. It's amazing how fast you acclimatize. It was 25 on the weekend and I was loving the sun, if I was on my 3rd week in Bangkok I would be reaching for a jumper.
  • Dirt3 23 Apr 2019 17:47:15 492 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If you can still reach for your jumper after taking the bikes you're doing well !

About 20000 road traffic deaths per year. That's about 10x the accident rate in the UK. Who knows what the injury stats look like.
  • KnuttinAtoll 23 Apr 2019 19:13:48 7,438 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    BKK is huge though, and there are some nice areas. Most people only see the centre and miss out on the actual city where people live.

Traffic just use Grab motorbikes to get around. The people I know who live there use it non stop, just booking each day for the commute.

Humidity is a point though, although I think most people will ignore it shortly. It's amazing how fast you acclimatize. It was 25 on the weekend and I was loving the sun, if I was on my 3rd week in Bangkok I would be reaching for a jumper.
    I always seem to struggle more with even milder temperatures. I think my body was built for a more arctic climate instead.

I mean it's a fair point re the size and different areas, and I certainly haven't been anywhere outside the city.

Still would prefer more developed places to work and live but that's me getting old and narrow minded. The OP should probably just ignore me (which I'm sure he does;)).

The air quality was shocking though in December. Think they even closed schools or something, and you could see the smog hanging over the city (smog noobs like myself could mistaken it with high level clouds). Again, it's fine for a shortish stay but wouldn't want to expose my body to that over a prolongued period.
  • SnackPlissken 29 Apr 2019 13:25:34 1,199 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Anyone got a recommendation for a cabin bag? Only going away for a weekend, so I can't be arsed to pay to check in a bag.
  • Tonka 30 Apr 2019 01:55:28 29,826 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hit by the SAS strike. The flight from Shanghai to Copenhagen is rescheduled do I'll be going by Virgin Atlantic to London then from there to Copenhagen.

Are Virgin Atlantic any good?
  • Deleted user 30 April 2019 01:57:24
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 30 April 2019 02:04:24
    Post deleted
  • Trafford 30 Apr 2019 07:57:32 8,389 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @SnackPlissken

I've got a Lowe cabin bag, soft shell 40 litre capacity. As you'd expect from them it is really versatile with straps and little features, can be worn as a rucksack or messanger bag also. It stretches out to a good size but also has compression straps to keep it down.
    Think I paid about 70 quid for it, well worth it.

Edited by Trafford at 07:59:15 30-04-2019
  • SnackPlissken 30 Apr 2019 10:38:01 1,199 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah perhaps a cabin rucksack will be better, as anything more than a few days I'd just have my suitcase, and then a rucksack, so that could replace my smaller rucksack.

Think that's the cheapest I can find

https://www.traveloutdoors.co.uk/lowe-alpine-at-carry-on-45/
  • Trafford 30 Apr 2019 11:38:56 8,389 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah that's the one, mine's an older model.
    It's a nice bit of kit, I do like Lowe Alpine, lots of clever quality of life features.

Edited by Trafford at 11:41:02 30-04-2019
  • Deleted user 30 April 2019 11:42:37
    Not that I like advertising Amazon, but https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cabin-Max-Backpack-Approved-55x40x20/dp/B002Q5APX4/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1HO5SDSM9LWA1&keywords=cabin+bag+rucksack&qid=1556620899&s=gateway&sprefix=cabin+bag+ru%2Ccomputers%2C201&sr=8-5 is a lot cheaper if its a one off.
  • SnackPlissken 30 Apr 2019 13:21:12 1,199 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hmm some dodgy reviews though. I like the look of this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Slim-Carry-Travel-Backpack/dp/B079L8DHGH/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=amazon%2Bbasics%2Bweekender&qid=1556626814&s=gateway&sr=8-1&th=1
  • SnackPlissken 30 Apr 2019 20:27:00 1,199 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Went for Osprey farpoint 40 in the end. Basically because it was on offer and very similar to the Lowe. Job done phew.
  • Tonka 1 May 2019 21:20:27 29,826 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm on the second to last leg of the journey home. Train just left Copenhagen.

Virgin Atlantic was three to four pegs above SAS. So tired now. No food in the fridge everything's closed.

I do have a bottle of prosecco and some Aperol though...
  • Armoured_Bear 1 May 2019 21:21:42 27,418 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    I'm on the second to last leg of the journey home. Train just left Copenhagen.

Virgin Atlantic was three to four pegs above SAS. So tired now. No food in the fridge everything's closed.

I do have a bottle of prosecco and some Aperol though...
    Sounds like you're sorted.
  • Tonka 2 May 2019 08:14:53 29,826 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Aye, Aperol Spritz upon homecoming will be my new tradition. Managed to whip up some tasty rolled oats gruel this morning. Currently sat at my desk in the office sneakily uploading the holiday snaps to Google Photos and time shifting them (forgot to set the time on my camera...)

Love google hotos. HAve some Stelalr pics from Wuyi mountains Tulou buildings Xiamen and Gulangyu.

Xiamen was the biggest surprise. Such a great city. If I had to live in China (something I doubt I could handle nowadays, way too hectic for me) I'd probably want to live in Xiamen. Then again, I heard monsoon season is a bastard.
  • Armoured_Bear 2 May 2019 08:20:24 27,418 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Aye, Aperol Spritz upon homecoming will be my new tradition. Managed to whip up some tasty rolled oats gruel this morning. Currently sat at my desk in the office sneakily uploading the holiday snaps to Google Photos and time shifting them (forgot to set the time on my camera...)

Love google hotos. HAve some Stelalr pics from Wuyi mountains Tulou buildings Xiamen and Gulangyu.

Xiamen was the biggest surprise. Such a great city. If I had to live in China (something I doubt I could handle nowadays, way too hectic for me) I'd probably want to live in Xiamen. Then again, I heard monsoon season is a bastard.
    I'd love to see some pics.
  • Armoured_Bear 12 May 2019 11:11:59 27,418 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Going to spend a month (late October - late November) in Kyushu this year, will travel via Hong Kong and use working out the itinerary. There's more than a month of stuff to do in Kyushu but I'm also tempted by spending a few days (up to a week) in either South Korea or Taiwan, more so the latter.

Should I have a taster visit to Taiwan or just give Japan all our attention?
    A cheeky weekend to start the trip off could also be cool, right?
  • Tonka 13 May 2019 07:07:10 29,826 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear
    Finally got around to sifting through my pictures from the trip.

Here's a sample

https://imgur.com/a/VU40UHS
  • Armoured_Bear 13 May 2019 08:10:23 27,418 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear
    Finally got around to sifting through my pictures from the trip.

Here's a sample

https://imgur.com/a/VU40UHS
    Cool, where are the (looks like) karstone areas?
  • Tonka 13 May 2019 09:08:05 29,826 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's a park called Wuyishan (shan beingmountain or mountains) in Fujian. Great for hiking (on trails sometimes going up mountains and sometimes wriggling around them) and bamboo rafting.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.