Following Travelling... Page 56

Next Last
  • Armoured_Bear 13 May 2019 10:05:42 26,678 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    It's a park called Wuyishan (shan beingmountain or mountains) in Fujian. Great for hiking (on trails sometimes going up mountains and sometimes wriggling around them) and bamboo rafting.
    I imagine itís soectacular in good weather.
  • Tonka 13 May 2019 10:19:56 29,525 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    In retrospect I was kind of glad it wasn't sunny. The sun came out once when I was halfway up a naked cliffside and it became a sauna in seconds. Absolutely unbearable. We had a full day like that on Gulanyu and it ended up with a 2 hour walk and the rest of the day in the comfort of the hotel AC.

But sure, a crisp september-october day would have been kick ass.

It also gave me ample opportunities to try my new number one travel gear, a K-Way Jacques Plus rain jacket that packs up in one of its own pockets. Super handy.
  • Dgzter 1 Jun 2019 17:19:46 2,779 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Random question. In Paris at the moment, but heading to Seoul on Monday; wife and I will be in South Korea until August and then Japan for Sept/Oct. My bloody USB mouse for the laptop just died and Iíll now be looking to pick up a replacement.

As I do some light gaming on it, I tend to use an MMO mouse. Should I just splurge on a Razer Naga here, before I fly out, or will I be able to easily pick up/order something in Seoul? GMarket seems to be the S.Korea online electronics retailer of choice, but not sure about choice/availability/shipping etc.

Any advice appreciated!
  • Armoured_Bear 2 Jun 2019 14:04:51 26,678 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dgzter wrote:
    Random question. In Paris at the moment, but heading to Seoul on Monday; wife and I will be in South Korea until August and then Japan for Sept/Oct. My bloody USB mouse for the laptop just died and Iíll now be looking to pick up a replacement.

As I do some light gaming on it, I tend to use an MMO mouse. Should I just splurge on a Razer Naga here, before I fly out, or will I be able to easily pick up/order something in Seoul? GMarket seems to be the S.Korea online electronics retailer of choice, but not sure about choice/availability/shipping etc.

Any advice appreciated!
    Sorry I canít help with your question, are you working, travelling over there?
    you lucky bugger.

I arrive in Fukuoka in the 25th October if you fancy a pint :)

Edited by Armoured_Bear at 14:28:37 02-06-2019
  • Armoured_Bear 2 Jun 2019 14:29:03 26,678 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Current View

• TechnoHippy 2 Jun 2019 14:51:16 15,001 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nice.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 2 Jun 2019 20:00:59 3,480 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dgzter wrote:

Any advice appreciated!
    There is a big electronic store attached to Yongsan station in Seoul which should cover you ajd an underground gaming store arcade a ten minute walk away if that isn't sufficient. Gmarket used to be impossible to use unless you had a Korean ID number and the Foreigner registration numbers didn't work (wrong number of digits) so be aware it may not be usable (I left in 2014 though)
  • Dgzter 2 Jun 2019 22:07:56 2,779 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx Ah cheers, that's really helpful. We'll be staying quite near Yongsan to begin with, so hopefully works out well.

@Armoured_Bear Cool. I'll drop you a line if we are in the vicinity by end of October. The Hoops should be safely out of Europe by then lol
  • Tonka 4 Jun 2019 11:46:14 29,525 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Any recommendations for Lisbon?
  • Vortex808 4 Jun 2019 12:00:34 13,180 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Tower of Belem is worth a look as is the region round there. LX factory is worth a visit too. Personlaly, I'd use uber for them, since the metro doesn't stretch over there and buses might be a bit of a ballache, whereas uber was cheap and easy.

Eat your own body weight in Nata tarts. There is also a food market(Time out?) that is well worth a visit too.

Coffee is cheap as, they like a cake shop- pretty much one on every street!
  • Tonka 4 Jun 2019 12:05:23 29,525 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Sounds good! Uber you say.... I fucking hate Uber. Maybe this will be the time I cave and start using them.
    No cute little trams to LX Factory?
    What's more around the Belem Tower? I think the tower looks great (In an Einstein Tower way) but I'm not sure I'd be willing to go there for that alone. If there's a nice vibe in the area around it then I'm in.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 4 Jun 2019 12:19:14 3,480 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Uber seemed the safest option in Eastern Europe where taxi (fare) scams are common. Learned that lesson travelling through Russia... Was dirt cheap in Ukraine too, still tried to use normal public transport where possible though.

All my uber spam therefore is always about Ukrainian deals... Not so useful any more now I am back home ;)
  • Vortex808 4 Jun 2019 12:34:37 13,180 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Sounds good! Uber you say.... I fucking hate Uber. Maybe this will be the time I cave and start using them.
    No cute little trams to LX Factory?
    What's more around the Belem Tower? I think the tower looks great (In an Einstein Tower way) but I'm not sure I'd be willing to go there for that alone. If there's a nice vibe in the area around it then I'm in.
    You can use the regular taxis if you like, but they were double the price, not massively expensive mind, and were possibly about 20E from where we stayed, if you want to salve your conscience.

Belem seemed a nice area and had other stuff to see and do close by. There was also the big monument to their seafarers near there too, a monastery and some other museum-y stuff. I thought the tower was well worth a quick look around and wasn't massively pricey to do so.

I really liked Lisbon, and will certainly go back. I'd quite like to have more of a look round Portugal too after that. Watch the hills though- I went for a long exploratory run and ended up down at the sea, having got distracted by the views and exploring various plazas etc, I forgot what goes down, has to go back up...

Rental electric scooters seem to be quite the thing, no doubt due to the hills.
  • gang_of_bitches 4 Jun 2019 17:06:49 5,670 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Modern art museum in Belem, Museu ColeÁ„o Berardo, is worth a visit if that's your bag. The "free" (a contribution is expected) walking tour run by Hi Lisbon is decent.

A train journey to Sintra is also well worth it though it can get crazy busy in high season.
  • Tonka 4 Jun 2019 22:53:54 29,525 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    We're definitely going to Sintra.
    Modern art museum sounds good. I also read about a technology and architecture museum and an aquarium.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.