Travelling... Page 59

• KnuttinAtoll 12 Jul 2019 09:42:07 7,352 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Had I gone there before the ban I would have climbed it.
    Nothing more satisfying than disrespecting the locals eh.

I was there in 2007 and out of our group of 20 only a couple asked to go, despite our guide urging them not to (it causes distress to the indigenous people as tourists regularly killed themselves falling off etc in the past). Cunts will be cunts I guess.
  • Tonka 12 Jul 2019 09:42:52 29,679 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear I know. I just love climbing things. I'm all for the ban though.
  • Mageme 15 Jul 2019 21:04:10 2,247 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    General question please. If my 5 year old's UK passport expires at the beginning of September and I want to go to Croatia mid-August for a week, do I need to renew their passport at all now or can I get away with not renewing for the trip?

Having read the gov website, I don't think I actually need to renew but any more informed answer would be great! Ta muchly!
  • JoelStinty 15 Jul 2019 21:07:34 7,999 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I would imagine you are fine till your expiry date, but some countries require you to have a certain amount of time left on your passport, but being a EU member state you should be ok.
  • JoelStinty 15 Jul 2019 21:08:28 7,999 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    you can you use tool as well to make sure:

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/check-a-passport
  • Mageme 16 Jul 2019 12:49:14 2,247 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @JoelStinty Thanks! Here's hoping my kid doesn't get stranded on holiday!
  • Armoured_Bear 28 Jul 2019 17:24:32 27,192 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Woohoo, just booked flights to Australia for the end of the year.
    A few days in Hong Kong on the way back=mah belly full of dim sum.
  • DaM 29 Jul 2019 08:41:04 17,348 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    We are just back from our US jaunt - up and down California, then across to Milwaukee (to see where my wife used to live), finishing off in NYC.

Kids were...good at times! I don't think they appreciate it...Daughter loved NYC. Eldest son doesn't like noise and crowds, so...

Highlight for me were Yosemite National Park, which was just amazing. I got a couple of walks in, but there was so much more. We plan to go back and do a National Park tour trip on the West coast.

We got a train (the Amtrak California Zephyr) from San Francisco to Chicago, a 55hr trip. I was a bit worried about it before we boarded, thinking it might have been better flying, but it was a great experience. We had 2 adjoining cabins, 3 meals a day included. I brought some wine... It was great just sitting looking out the window, the scenery was breathtaking, and changed from mountains, forests, deserts, prairy, canyons, farmland across the route. It was relaxing, the time flew by. My only regrets were it being dark at nighttime, so missing what was going on out the window (eg the whole of Utah).

We stayed in a variety of places, one airbnb villa in Annaheim (we were doing Disney to keep the kids happy, and meeting with other family members), then a mix of nice hotels, dodgy motels, and somewhere that was one step above a homeless shelter. When we explain the price differences involved, the kids stop moaning :)

Did nearly 2000 miles driving - I was shocked at the state of the main roads in California, they were appalling. Terrible road surface, crash debris everywhere.
  • Tonka 29 Jul 2019 08:50:01 29,679 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That train journey sounds great. Once the kids have moved out I think I'll take the Trans Siberian to Beijing.

12 more years.
  • anephric 29 Jul 2019 09:04:59 3,337 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah the highways in California are beyond awful. I remember through LA changing lanes all the time on the I405 because the road surface was so bad I thought I was going to buckle the wheels of the hire car and get charged a fucking fortune.

In Florida driving on the toll roads made a huge difference.
  • DaM 29 Jul 2019 09:08:18 17,348 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    That train journey sounds great. Once the kids have moved out I think I'll take the Trans Siberian to Beijing.

12 more years.
    I've figured out the kids are good in situations like that because they are quite happy glued to their phones. It's when we make them get up and do stuff there's a problem :) We had to bribe our eldest to go to Alcatraz.
  • JoelStinty 29 Jul 2019 09:08:24 7,999 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That trip sounds great. Something like that is definitely on the to do list at some point in my life. Quite fancy doing a blues/music/bbq meat/whisky tour through Nashville, mississippi, Memphis across to New Orleans. Also a west coast jaunt through its parks.
  • Armoured_Bear 29 Jul 2019 09:19:44 27,192 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    We got a train (the Amtrak California Zephyr) from San Francisco to Chicago, a 55hr trip. I was a bit worried about it before we boarded, thinking it might have been better flying, but it was a great experience. We had 2 adjoining cabins, 3 meals a day included. I brought some wine... It was great just sitting looking out the window, the scenery was breathtaking, and changed from mountains, forests, deserts, prairy, canyons, farmland across the route. It was relaxing, the time flew by. My only regrets were it being dark at nighttime, so missing what was going on out the window (eg the whole of Utah).
    That sounds great tbh.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 29 Jul 2019 11:38:03 3,548 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    Tonka wrote:

12 more years.
    I've figured out the kids are good in situations like that because they are quite happy glued to their phones. It's when we make them get up and do stuff there's a problem :) We had to bribe our eldest to go to Alcatraz.
    Large parts of Siberia between towns have no phone signal so that one is a little more challenging ;)

I did a slightly extended (with detour from Vladivostok to Komsomolsk and Tynda on the Baikal Amur line north of the transsiberian line and back down to Ulan Ude (where you would also go via for the Mongolia/Beijing route) to continue the regular journey) trans-siberian trip when returning from living in South Korea (plan was get home without setting foot in an airport). Spent the best part of March 2014 in Russia with some stop off along the way for sightseeing (add Irkutsk/Listvyanka/Lake Baikal, Yekaterinberg, Perm and Moscow to the previously mentioned stops. I enjoyed the journey, although I found it got less interesting in general for me the further west I went. I considered the Beijing route but too man awkward visas put me off and I could see myself doing that in reverse in the future.
  • monkehhh 29 Jul 2019 22:43:10 5,126 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Off to Jersey tomorrow.. excited for a short flight and a relaxing week of hotel breakfasts.

Gardener's World(!) had a segment on Landschaftspark Duisburg-Nord this week and it looks amazing, definitely on the list now.
  • Psychotext 31 Jul 2019 16:39:45 65,356 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Good news... the Dr gave me a "Fit To Fly" certificate, and I was able to get some travel insurance without paying the earth (the people I used last year wanted a grand, vs the £180 I had on my renewal).

Shame I'm only going for a week. I could do with a month.
  • Armoured_Bear 31 Jul 2019 16:53:21 27,192 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Good news... the Dr gave me a "Fit To Fly" certificate, and I was able to get some travel insurance without paying the earth (the people I used last year wanted a grand, vs the £180 I had on my renewal).

Shame I'm only going for a week. I could do with a month.
    Where are you heading to?
  • Psychotext 31 Jul 2019 17:06:11 65,356 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Prague and Budapest. 3 days in each.
  • Armoured_Bear 31 Jul 2019 17:11:03 27,192 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Prague and Budapest. 3 days in each.
    Nice, I still haven't been to Budapest but it's high up the list.
    Prague is stunning although I imagine it'll be hoaching with tourists at this time of year so bring your selfie stick snapping gloves :)
  • Psychotext 31 Jul 2019 18:11:21 65,356 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm on crutches so I'll just flail them around wildly.
  • Tonka 31 Jul 2019 18:47:19 29,679 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Budapest is beautiful. I loved it last time I was there... in 2009.
  • RyanDS 31 Jul 2019 19:51:17 12,814 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Been a good week with work. Currently sitting in Heathrow on my way to lisbon for 4 days for work. 2 days of which is weekend chilling.

On the better side. Work offered me perm recently. Conversation went " we want to offer perm, shut up and listen before you start moaning about travelling and you want to stay as a contractor. We will give you 6 weeks a year holiday, and one month a year you can work from anywhere you want no questions asked. And yes that means you can sit on a beach in thailand one month a year working on top of 6 weeks actual holiday"

And I like the job, so fucking happy times.
  • KnuttinAtoll 31 Jul 2019 20:01:17 7,352 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @RyanDS that is indeed a sweet offer, congrats. Am hoping that'll become the norm as I would love that sort of lifestyle.
  • RyanDS 31 Jul 2019 20:03:00 12,814 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's a pay drop. But honestly I am 40, single and have no mortgage etc. I am much more concerned these days about having enough money to be okay and enjoying life than working shitloads, earning great money and stressing all the time.
  • wobbly_Bob 31 Jul 2019 20:51:22 5,144 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    It's a pay drop. But honestly I am 40, single and have no mortgage etc. I am much more concerned these days about having enough money to be okay and enjoying life than working shitloads, earning great money and stressing all the time.
    That's amazing. Congrats! :-) I would be permanently travelling if that was me. Digital Nomad FTW.
  • Pipedream 31 Jul 2019 22:16:31 479 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @RyanDS how weird, Iím doing very similar things.

Heading to Lisbon for work, adding a weekend to relax, been given 6 weeks holiday a year up from 5, and encourage to work abroad more.

I also like my job!
  • RyanDS 1 Aug 2019 01:07:44 12,814 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And fuck. Just lost my passport. Flight delayed, taxi got lost and when I got to hostel passport is missing.

Guess in the morning I am off to the police. Hopefully I just dropped it in the airport but fuck.

And reading it takes two working days to get an emergency travel document, so not sure if i will get before return flight.

Not a good start to this trip.
  • RyanDS 1 Aug 2019 12:03:16 12,814 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Passport at the airport. Dropped it getting in taxi. Phew.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 1 Aug 2019 12:34:18 1,206 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Off on a cruise round the Adriatic next week, stopping at Venice, Split, Dubrovnik and some other places I can't recall.

Any tips?

I didn't book this and have never been on a cruise in my life.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 1 Aug 2019 12:34:51 1,206 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    @RyanDS That's one hell of a relief!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.