Travelling... Page 60

• Armoured_Bear 1 Aug 2019 12:40:21 27,192 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Been a good week with work. Currently sitting in Heathrow on my way to lisbon for 4 days for work. 2 days of which is weekend chilling.

On the better side. Work offered me perm recently. Conversation went " we want to offer perm, shut up and listen before you start moaning about travelling and you want to stay as a contractor. We will give you 6 weeks a year holiday, and one month a year you can work from anywhere you want no questions asked. And yes that means you can sit on a beach in thailand one month a year working on top of 6 weeks actual holiday"

And I like the job, so fucking happy times.
    That's awesome, 4 weeks anywhere in the world is fucking brilliant.
    What do you do?
  • Armoured_Bear 1 Aug 2019 12:46:26 27,192 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:
    Off on a cruise round the Adriatic next week, stopping at Venice, Split, Dubrovnik and some other places I can't recall.

Any tips?

I didn't book this and have never been on a cruise in my life.
    I know nothing about cruises tbh but in Venice once you've seen Saint Mar's Square, Grand Canal etc. just go wandering down side streets and keep going and you'll quickly escape the crowds and it's all amazing, such a beautiful place.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 1 Aug 2019 12:48:20 1,199 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Thanks AB. I'm planning on ditching everyone at all the places I go to. We're doing a gondola (family want to, I can't be arsed myself) and the rest will just be wandering around.
  • RyanDS 1 Aug 2019 13:03:00 12,814 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:
    Been a good week with work. Currently sitting in Heathrow on my way to lisbon for 4 days for work. 2 days of which is weekend chilling.

On the better side. Work offered me perm recently. Conversation went " we want to offer perm, shut up and listen before you start moaning about travelling and you want to stay as a contractor. We will give you 6 weeks a year holiday, and one month a year you can work from anywhere you want no questions asked. And yes that means you can sit on a beach in thailand one month a year working on top of 6 weeks actual holiday"

What do you do?
    Official job title is head of uk pay and bill, but new role will be "sort out random shit and run projects and anything else they just need doing." Systems implementation and stuff like that.

Really weird, it's a huge American company which I was very wary of working for as I heard American companies are very corporate and staid. But it's actually the opposite, can wear shorts to work, they let people work from home and generally have a "if you get the work done we dont care" attitude. Hell the lisbon thing was literally me going to my boss and asking g if I could work in lisbon as I fancied some sun. And his response was as long as I pay my own flights and accommodation I can work from lisbon office as long as I do my normal work.
  • DJCopa 1 Aug 2019 13:13:12 1,992 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:
    Off on a cruise round the Adriatic next week, stopping at Venice, Split, Dubrovnik and some other places I can't recall.

Any tips?

I didn't book this and have never been on a cruise in my life.
    Don't bring any fancy dress...
  • Armoured_Bear 1 Aug 2019 13:40:47 27,192 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:

What do you do?
    Official job title is head of uk pay and bill, but new role will be "sort out random shit and run projects and anything else they just need doing." Systems implementation and stuff like that.

Really weird, it's a huge American company which I was very wary of working for as I heard American companies are very corporate and staid. But it's actually the opposite, can wear shorts to work, they let people work from home and generally have a "if you get the work done we dont care" attitude. Hell the lisbon thing was literally me going to my boss and asking g if I could work in lisbon as I fancied some sun. And his response was as long as I pay my own flights and accommodation I can work from lisbon office as long as I do my normal work.
    Good stuff, the more attitudes like that spread, the better.
  • KnuttinAtoll 1 Aug 2019 16:40:18 7,351 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Quick question... I had to book two flights, one return (Mon-Fri) and a second, separate booking with the same airline for a return on Thu instead (it's for work).

The idea is that if shit hits the fan on Thursday I stay on and return on Friday, if things are quiet I'll fly back on Thursday and forfeit the Friday flight.

Has anyone here ever done this, and did you run into any issues? I would think that since the bookings are separate, there shouldn't be any - but what if the airline sees I'm a no-show on Thursday, and therefore cancels Friday too? Wouldn't make sense to me but just double checking...
  • Armoured_Bear 1 Aug 2019 17:14:35 27,192 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Quick question... I had to book two flights, one return (Mon-Fri) and a second, separate booking with the same airline for a return on Thu instead (it's for work).

The idea is that if shit hits the fan on Thursday I stay on and return on Friday, if things are quiet I'll fly back on Thursday and forfeit the Friday flight.

Has anyone here ever done this, and did you run into any issues? I would think that since the bookings are separate, there shouldn't be any - but what if the airline sees I'm a no-show on Thursday, and therefore cancels Friday too? Wouldn't make sense to me but just double checking...
    I have no experience of doing this but would imagine they wouldn't cancel Friday too.
    Can't you just cancel the flight as soon as you know if you're staying to Friday or not?
  • askew 1 Aug 2019 17:45:18 19,563 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hmm, not using your return on the Friday sounds like the reason they'll blacklist you for any future business.
  • KnuttinAtoll 1 Aug 2019 17:46:00 7,351 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:

I have no experience of doing this but would imagine they wouldn't cancel Friday too.
    Can't you just cancel the flight as soon as you know if you're staying to Friday or not?
    Yeah all I can do is see if I can cancel the Thursday flight as soon as I know, which will only be Thursday afternoon. It's paid for anyways on a non-refundable fare so the airline likely won't give a damn either way.

I vaguely remember an issue where a flight got cancelled for my wife who was on the same booking, because I forfeit the flight (iirc) but that's a different scenario.

Tbh I'm probably overthinking this, and it should really be fine given they're two completely separate bookings.
  • RyanDS 1 Aug 2019 18:10:55 12,814 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Are the flights usually fully booked? Wont it be cheaper to keep the thursday and pay the moving fee if you need to change?

Also if you cant do thursday just phone up the airline and cancel anyway. They already have your money so dont see why they would cancel the other especially if you let them know.

Edited by RyanDS at 18:15:42 01-08-2019
  • KnuttinAtoll 1 Aug 2019 19:20:38 7,351 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Are the flights usually fully booked? Wont it be cheaper to keep the thursday and pay the moving fee if you need to change?

Also if you cant do thursday just phone up the airline and cancel anyway. They already have your money so dont see why they would cancel the other especially if you let them know.
    It was the suggestion of my boss so I just obliged. There's definitely a risk re availability, money isn't even the issue although it would also be more expensive than the single leg flight.

Edit - flights to Dublin, they're always full. Ryanair were already fully booked or almost 500 return. Busy town.

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 19:22:29 01-08-2019
  • RyanDS 3 Aug 2019 10:49:05 12,814 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fucking love Lisbon. Friendly, beautiful cheap and a proper walking city.even though been working 9-530 last couple of days I have done over 30,000 steps a day. I love that sort of place where you can just walk and walk and there is always something to see.

Only downside is the drug dealers. Every 5 minutes I get someone offering me weed or cocaine. Fuck, this morning I left my hostel, walked maybe 400m grab breakfast and was offered 3 times. And since I have been sitting here for 10 minutes eating breakfast 2 guys have approached me at my table offering.
  • KnuttinAtoll 3 Aug 2019 10:52:45 7,351 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah been to Lisbon (and Portugal in general) for the first time last year.

Was a positive revelation and the people are lovely. Will definitely go back.
  • Tonka 3 Aug 2019 13:31:18 29,676 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Lisbon is fantastic. We had such a great time there earlier this summer. Very walkable indeed.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 8 Aug 2019 06:50:06 1,199 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Heading off today. Need to finish packing and suchlike, but will be leaving for the hotel after dinner with the obligatory early flight in the morning. Landing in Corfu which should be 37c.
  • Mola_Ram 8 Aug 2019 06:57:01 20,831 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mandalay is fairly pleasant now. Still hotter than I'm used to, but it's not the "pushing 40c on a daily basis" kind of hot that it was a month ago.

I went up to the mountains in Shan state the other week. That was loooovely. Much cooler, much quieter.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 8 Aug 2019 07:01:20 1,199 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    @Mola_Ram try not wearing socks with your sandals, you’ll feel (and look ;) ) even cooler!
  • Mola_Ram 8 Aug 2019 07:05:45 20,831 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lol. The problem I'm having with the sandals now is tanlines. You don't notice them with shoes or sandals (or socks + sandal combo), but barefoot they look ridiculous.
  • Tonka 8 Aug 2019 07:25:40 29,676 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm in London! Arrived yesterday and took the kids to The Lion King musical. They loved the first half and feel asleep during the second one (1hr jetlag plus travel for the better of them)

Staying right on the middle of Soho which is great. Love seeing all the busy bars and restaurants and key stores.

Got a really nice flat from some flat renting agency. It was unrated when we booked it so we got a good deal. Newly refurbished.
  • RyanDS 8 Aug 2019 07:49:09 12,814 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Mandalay is fairly pleasant now. Still hotter than I'm used to, but it's not the "pushing 40c on a daily basis" kind of hot that it was a month ago.

I went up to the mountains in Shan state the other week. That was loooovely. Much cooler, much quieter.
    Have you been up to Pyin Oo Lwin yet? Really nice gardens if you want to get out of Mandalay on a day trip. Also do the train to Hsipaw. A wonderful train trip with great views.
  • Armoured_Bear 8 Aug 2019 08:18:52 27,192 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:

Awesome, how long are you in Myanmar for?
    I loved the boat trip down to Bagan.
  • Mola_Ram 8 Aug 2019 08:29:37 20,831 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:

Until October, on a volunteering thing. I probably won't have enough time off to boat down to Bagan, though I do want to go. So maybe I'll get a bus or something.
  • Armoured_Bear 8 Aug 2019 08:35:13 27,192 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:

Until October, on a volunteering thing. I probably won't have enough time off to boat down to Bagan, though I do want to go. So maybe I'll get a bus or something.
    Bagan was by far my favourite place in Myanmar, utterly magical. Hope you get a chance to see it.
  • RyanDS 8 Aug 2019 09:05:25 12,814 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    On the contrary, Bagan was the only place in Myanmar I didn't like. The only blight on my journey.

It looked lovely, and was fun to get an electric scooter, but it was so fucking annoying. "Just looking! Just looking sir! You buy? You buy?"

Couldnt relax, always harassed by traders, whereas the rest of the country was so chilled.
  • Mola_Ram 8 Aug 2019 09:10:52 20,831 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I don't get people selling me things in Mandalay. I do get offered taxis all the time when I just want to walk around, but they're not usually too pushy about it.

Though I did get annoyed with one guy who just would not take "no" for an answer when I was walking around the palace moat. He wanted to be my personal driver to all the tourist locations, even as I was patiently saying "I'm not a tourist, I'm here to work", so didn't need someone as a tour guide. I tried saying it in broken Burmese, but no dice. Eventually I just had to walk away.
  • TechnoHippy 8 Aug 2019 09:17:42 15,302 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Looks like a trip to LA for me in a few weeks - should be fun.
  • Mola_Ram 8 Aug 2019 09:19:25 20,831 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:

Have you been up to Pyin Oo Lwin yet? Really nice gardens if you want to get out of Mandalay on a day trip. Also do the train to Hsipaw. A wonderful train trip with great views.
    Ya, spent a weekend up there. That was great, exactly my kind of city. I wish I lived there instead of Mandalay tbh (though Mandalay isn't too bad).
  • Darth_Flibble 8 Aug 2019 09:40:43 3,528 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Off to Bali next month, so looking forward to this as had a shit year getting made redundant (then my old manager stabbing me in the back) Its a group adventure holiday which will be good to meet new people and do some fun things
  • RyanDS 8 Aug 2019 09:51:19 12,814 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Contract signed at work. So I am taking December off. Will need to do 10 days work remote, but can live with that. Thinking to spend 3 weeks exploring vietnam, then meeting up with a friend and spending a week on komodo island.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.