Travelling... Page 61

• One_Vurfed_Gwrx 8 Aug 2019 10:04:17 3,548 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Komodo (and Rinkya) are well worth a visit. I only hired a fishing boat for 2 days to see them but was definitely the highlight of the Bali area (which I found over touristy) (Bali being the best place to get a flight to Labuan Bajo which is where you will find a fishing boat). Make sure to support the local economy for the Komdo bit and use local fishermen (who know the reefs surrounding the islands better than anyone else) and not the foreign dive companies who are trying to muscle in. If you actually want a dive too then use one for that bit (as they will have the equipment etc) but try to separate it. It is a pretty poor area even by Indonesia standards.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 9 Aug 2019 07:03:44 1,199 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Sat in the airport. Some people are on their second beer. Itís only just 7am!
  • Mola_Ram 9 Aug 2019 07:34:50 20,831 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I JUST WANT SOME BIYAH BEFORE I GET ON THE FACKIN PLANE, DON'T JUDGE ME YOU WANKA
  • GuybrushFreepwood 9 Aug 2019 07:51:35 1,199 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I JUST WANT SOME BIYAH BEFORE I GET ON THE FACKIN PLANE, DON'T JUDGE ME YOU WANKA
    /judges

/tuts
  • Tonka 9 Aug 2019 08:14:24 29,676 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Drunk people on planes are a bigger annoyance than toddlers on planes for me.
  • Psychotext 9 Aug 2019 09:54:28 65,356 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just got back from Prague and Budapest. If I'm honest, I preferred Budapest on the whole. As warned, Prague was just insane with tourists (and much more tourist focussed on the whole).

Oh, and travelling while (temporarily) disabled is a fucking shit experience. I can't recommend it to anyone. So sorry for anyone who has to deal with it on a normal basis.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 9 Aug 2019 17:28:47 1,199 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Sat in my cabin waiting for the ship to sail from Corfu. Cabin is awesome with a really large back facing balcony. It was the one I was looking at in the plan and thinking ďif I could pick, thatís the one Iíd go forĒ.

On the down side, Iím feeling sea sick and weíve not left. Which isnít a great sign.

Anyway, all we need is for our tweenager to cheer the hell up and it should be great. At the moment weíve got dress dilemmas which is why I reached for my phone!
  • GuybrushFreepwood 9 Aug 2019 23:08:56 1,199 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    ďCruising is like being in an hotel where you wake up each day in a new countryĒ

... and where that hotel vibrates constantly.

I ďguessĒ the rhythmic vibration (which reminds me of my surround sound when the Uruk Hai are marching on Helms Deep) is propeller / engine related, but good for a light sleeper it isnít.

Oh well. I guess Iíll be so tired Iíll sleep in the end or Iíll get used to it. Managed to toast my Fitbit in the pool. Forgot it wasnít guaranteed waterproof, muppet that I am. Iím so used to showering etc with it that I forgot about it being water resistant only.

On the plus side I can get some gaming in on the Switch now. Everyone else in the cabin is apparently asleep, so I guess Iíll be the nautical equivalent of the princess and the pea in their eyes.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 12 Aug 2019 14:59:54 1,199 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Did Venice today. Ignored the guided tours and got a tram in and then walked around the back streets getting lost and avoiding the crowds. It was great. Didnít go to St Marks but saw it as we sailed past. Did a gondola first thing when it was quiet.

Much more enjoyable than the crowded nightmare Iíd read the place was.

Ps. There are a lot of very large people on this cruise. Very few people in the gym or running track but the restaurants are always packed. Engine noise is a lot less since the first night. Apparently we were late leaving that day so had to belt it.

Switch has been a god send for when everyone else wants to go to a cheesy show.

Managed to book an Escape Room for later today. That should be fun.

Edited by GuybrushFreepwood at 15:01:01 12-08-2019
  • elstoof 12 Aug 2019 15:07:51 23,680 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Donít think I could survive a cruise
  • Vortex808 12 Aug 2019 15:23:40 13,275 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Donít think I could survive a cruise
    Same here, it'd be my holiday nightmare I think.

They're pretty much where old folk go in the hope of dying through food poisoning/norovirus to save them ponying up for euthanasia in Switzerland aren't they? ;-)

How is your kid coping with it guybrush? Ours would hate us for taking him on that type of holiday I'm sure!
  • GuybrushFreepwood 12 Aug 2019 15:25:04 1,199 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    @elstoof itís not something Iíll be doing again. Itís an experience, but Iím a bit repulsed by the excess on board while the housekeeping staff are mostly from Indonesia for months away from their families. You also just brush the surface of anywhere you ďvisitĒ before returning for more food and never ending ďHi De HiĒ style activities. The food isnít amazing.

Plus points are thereís way more staff than Iíve ever seen in an hotel and they are cheerful. I can laze in my room and ignore the stuff theyíve laid on. I didnít pay for it ( I couldnít have afforded it). Iíve never been to any of the places weíre going to. Fitness stuff is quiet. I was running around the shipís track on my own as dawn came which was really something. Iíve never eaten as much. The place is really clean.

Anyway, time to hit the gym I think.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 12 Aug 2019 15:37:01 1,199 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    @Vortex808 weíve two kids. Youngest is a smiley joy who is happy to trot along with us and fit in with whatever weíre doing. We thanked them earlier as it was just them and my wife and I in Venice and it was great. We got them ices and pizza and souvenirs.

Eldest is... a self absorbed tweenager. Hormones and late nights (thanks grand parents) are making them tired and grumpy. Theyíre wanting the day to revolve around whatever activities they want all the time. Iíve had to remind them a few times that there are 4 of us on this holiday and not just one. If I say ďnoĒ I get eye rolls and huffing and they get told off.

To be fair, cruise ships seem to cater mostly for adults,(mostly drinking based or a demo that leads to a sales pitchy), little kids with a couple of teenager things. Those in between are ignored - on this ship anyway. Theyíve been to the pool a lot , done treasure hunts each day, played in the games room and gone to a couple of shows they wanted to see, so weíre doing what we can, but I need my wife and I to also relax.
  • triarii 12 Aug 2019 16:15:52 400 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @GuybrushFreepwood

The ship has a running track!? How long is it?
  • GuybrushFreepwood 12 Aug 2019 16:21:12 1,199 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    @triarii 1/4 of a mile per lap it says.

My legs - which are in bits since - agree.
  • Armoured_Bear 12 Aug 2019 17:41:44 27,192 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The scale of cruise ships seems utterly insane now, each to their own and all that but it always sounded like utter hell to me and even worse after Guybrush's posts.
    Still it's good to try new stuff so I'll go if someone else pays.
  • Armoured_Bear 12 Aug 2019 17:57:40 27,192 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:
    @elstoof itís not something Iíll be doing again. Itís an experience, but Iím a bit repulsed by the excess on board while the housekeeping staff are mostly from Indonesia for months away from their families. You also just brush the surface of anywhere you ďvisitĒ before returning for more food and never ending ďHi De HiĒ style activities. The food isnít amazing.

Plus points are thereís way more staff than Iíve ever seen in an hotel and they are cheerful. I can laze in my room and ignore the stuff theyíve laid on. I didnít pay for it ( I couldnít have afforded it). Iíve never been to any of the places weíre going to. Fitness stuff is quiet. I was running around the shipís track on my own as dawn came which was really something. Iíve never eaten as much. The place is really clean.

Anyway, time to hit the gym I think.
    Are all the people Brits?
    Is it gammon central?
  • monkehhh 12 Aug 2019 18:29:57 5,126 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @GuybrushFreepwood that's the way to do Venice I'd say.. go in the opposite direction to the crowds at any opportunity. I loved the place. We did have a wander around St Marks square around midnight, otherwise we kept well away.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 12 Aug 2019 19:45:26 3,548 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    We did Venice around the end of October so it wasn't too tourist filled.
  • Tonka 12 Aug 2019 19:48:27 29,676 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm busy getting drunk at Heathrow.
    Oi! Where's my pint! Pukka!
  • KnuttinAtoll 13 Aug 2019 07:51:35 7,351 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Absolutely hate cruise ships, both in terms of their environmental impact and what type of tourism they bring to a locality.

Saw three of those monsters blowing humongous clouds of exhaust fumes into the air by just running idle outside Cannes (and single ships elsewhere during our holiday), it was pretty shocking to see that. They must've carried thousands of passengers each.

They unload hoardes of tourists onto places that are already overrun by people (Venice is a good example) who don't tend to even spend locally, be it on hotels or restaurants.

The sooner they're banned altogether the better although it seems their popularity is actually increasing.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Aug 2019 08:05:08 27,192 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Absolutely hate cruise ships, both in terms of their environmental impact and what type of tourism they bring to a locality.

Saw three of those monsters blowing humongous clouds of exhaust fumes into the air by just running idle outside Cannes (and single ships elsewhere during our holiday), it was pretty shocking to see that. They must've carried thousands of passengers each.

They unload hoardes of tourists onto places that are already overrun by people (Venice is a good example) who don't tend to even spend locally, be it on hotels or restaurants.

The sooner they're banned altogether the better although it seems their popularity is actually increasing.
    They just announced their banning from Venice, hopefully a sign.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 13 Aug 2019 08:23:42 1,199 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    @Armoured_Bear had to look p gammon as I didnít know what it meant, but yes it is quite full of them. Lots of squat, fat, tattooed bald red faced people who love the sound of their own voice and think theyíre hysterical.

Aside from them there are walking corpses that look like they will crumble if touched, fatties from Mega City One (lots of these and they only seem to roll from the pool to the restaurant), orange tanned, fake boobed and Botox ornaments for the gammons and cruise bores who seem to be playing a kind of top trumps of who has done most cruises and wears the most gold.

There donít seem to be all that many ďnormalĒ people on board.

I get the hate for cruises. Iím only here because I wasnít asked if I wanted to go (I didnít) and my wife wanted my support (the only reason Iím here). In Venice it really brought it home as there were four big ships in dock offloading over 2000 passengers each. The wake from the ships wasnít great for the erosion that I could see either.

Anyway, we got an Escape Room cancellation on board last night and that was great. We escaped and found the hidden extra prize which was a lot of fun. Getting lost in Venice, that room and just chilling in my cabin have been the highlights. The rest can do one. I watched first four episodes of Wu Assassin that Iíd downloaded last night. That was great. !

Anyway, Split and 37c awaits. Canít really be assed, but will make an effort.
  • monkehhh 13 Aug 2019 09:58:53 5,126 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @GuybrushFreepwood I feel like the crew's quarters will be where the party's at.
  • ShaktiWaghela 13 Aug 2019 10:01:30 2 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 2 weeks ago
    I am planning to Bali as my graduation travel.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 13 Aug 2019 17:39:14 1,199 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Went To Split. Never again. Found the people I met to be mostly really ignorant and grumpy. Couple tried to rip me off. Place itself was pretty grotty outside the palace area.

That said, Iím aware Iím a miserable intolerant bastard and I visited this place on a very hot day at the same time as 4 cruise ships. I tried to be polite and cheery and the place and heat drained it out of me. Iím probably tired. So maybe ignore this post, but reading online I donít seem alone in this view. Decided not to go ashore at Dubrovnik as it is too small for cruise ships to visit. Decided I donít like cruise ships.

God Iím a right miserable sounding sod. I honestly canít wait to get home.
  • elstoof 13 Aug 2019 17:49:41 23,680 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Think youíve been a pretty good sport from what Iíve read mate, Iíd have been a miserable antisocial cunt from the minute I was told I was going but youíve given it a good chance
  • anephric 13 Aug 2019 17:58:56 3,326 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've done a cruise and told my missus never again. I'm no spring chicken and we were probably the only people on there who weren't alive when FDR was.

It's also fucking boring for the at-sea days. And a lot of the shore trips were incredibly faffy and short-lived. And expensive.

It was a bit like the Poseidon Adventure though. Ah well, it was an experience. There were a lot of American retirees on the cruise I went on who were incredibly rude and entitled-acting to the crew.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 13 Aug 2019 19:16:26 1,199 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Thanks both. I hit the gym for a bit and worked myself out of my funk a bit and your replies helped.

To be honest, I was not happy when told I was going on a cruise (I get very sea sick normally) with my in-laws. I wasnít asked as I said and really didnít want to go. Only reason Iím here is as Iíve also said to support my wife otherwise Iíd have said ďthanks but no thanksĒ.

As said, itís an experience and the housekeeping staff are really smiley and cheerful. I thanked a couple of them today for how cheery they are. Iím off to commend them in writing to reception next. I enjoyed Venice but wish Iíd got there by another means. Next time.

Tonight they are showing captain marvel and also have a classical singer. Think Iíll play Vs 8 in the cabin.

Iím also no spring chicken (wrong side of 50) but feel young here.
  • fontgeeksogood 13 Aug 2019 19:18:14 6,541 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    If its a British cruise ship those poor bastards won't even get tips

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.