Travelling... Page 61

• One_Vurfed_Gwrx 8 Aug 2019 10:04:17 3,645 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Komodo (and Rinkya) are well worth a visit. I only hired a fishing boat for 2 days to see them but was definitely the highlight of the Bali area (which I found over touristy) (Bali being the best place to get a flight to Labuan Bajo which is where you will find a fishing boat). Make sure to support the local economy for the Komdo bit and use local fishermen (who know the reefs surrounding the islands better than anyone else) and not the foreign dive companies who are trying to muscle in. If you actually want a dive too then use one for that bit (as they will have the equipment etc) but try to separate it. It is a pretty poor area even by Indonesia standards.
  • Deleted user 9 August 2019 07:03:44
    Post deleted
  • Mola_Ram 9 Aug 2019 07:34:50 21,854 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I JUST WANT SOME BIYAH BEFORE I GET ON THE FACKIN PLANE, DON'T JUDGE ME YOU WANKA
  • Deleted user 9 August 2019 07:51:35
    Post deleted
  • Tonka 9 Aug 2019 08:14:24 29,976 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Drunk people on planes are a bigger annoyance than toddlers on planes for me.
  • Psychotext 9 Aug 2019 09:54:28 65,860 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just got back from Prague and Budapest. If I'm honest, I preferred Budapest on the whole. As warned, Prague was just insane with tourists (and much more tourist focussed on the whole).

Oh, and travelling while (temporarily) disabled is a fucking shit experience. I can't recommend it to anyone. So sorry for anyone who has to deal with it on a normal basis.
  • Deleted user 9 August 2019 17:28:47
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 9 August 2019 23:08:56
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 12 August 2019 14:59:54
    Post deleted
  • elstoof 12 Aug 2019 15:07:51 24,519 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Donít think I could survive a cruise
  • Vortex808 12 Aug 2019 15:23:40 13,436 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Donít think I could survive a cruise
    Same here, it'd be my holiday nightmare I think.

They're pretty much where old folk go in the hope of dying through food poisoning/norovirus to save them ponying up for euthanasia in Switzerland aren't they? ;-)

How is your kid coping with it guybrush? Ours would hate us for taking him on that type of holiday I'm sure!
  • Deleted user 12 August 2019 15:25:04
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 12 August 2019 15:37:01
    Post deleted
  • triarii 12 Aug 2019 16:15:52 400 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @GuybrushFreepwood

The ship has a running track!? How long is it?
  • Deleted user 12 August 2019 16:21:12
    Post deleted
  • Armoured_Bear 12 Aug 2019 17:41:44 27,592 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The scale of cruise ships seems utterly insane now, each to their own and all that but it always sounded like utter hell to me and even worse after Guybrush's posts.
    Still it's good to try new stuff so I'll go if someone else pays.
  • Armoured_Bear 12 Aug 2019 17:57:40 27,592 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:
    @elstoof itís not something Iíll be doing again. Itís an experience, but Iím a bit repulsed by the excess on board while the housekeeping staff are mostly from Indonesia for months away from their families. You also just brush the surface of anywhere you ďvisitĒ before returning for more food and never ending ďHi De HiĒ style activities. The food isnít amazing.

Plus points are thereís way more staff than Iíve ever seen in an hotel and they are cheerful. I can laze in my room and ignore the stuff theyíve laid on. I didnít pay for it ( I couldnít have afforded it). Iíve never been to any of the places weíre going to. Fitness stuff is quiet. I was running around the shipís track on my own as dawn came which was really something. Iíve never eaten as much. The place is really clean.

Anyway, time to hit the gym I think.
    Are all the people Brits?
    Is it gammon central?
  • monkehhh 12 Aug 2019 18:29:57 5,176 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @GuybrushFreepwood that's the way to do Venice I'd say.. go in the opposite direction to the crowds at any opportunity. I loved the place. We did have a wander around St Marks square around midnight, otherwise we kept well away.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 12 Aug 2019 19:45:26 3,645 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    We did Venice around the end of October so it wasn't too tourist filled.
  • Tonka 12 Aug 2019 19:48:27 29,976 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm busy getting drunk at Heathrow.
    Oi! Where's my pint! Pukka!
  • KnuttinAtoll 13 Aug 2019 07:51:35 7,547 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Absolutely hate cruise ships, both in terms of their environmental impact and what type of tourism they bring to a locality.

Saw three of those monsters blowing humongous clouds of exhaust fumes into the air by just running idle outside Cannes (and single ships elsewhere during our holiday), it was pretty shocking to see that. They must've carried thousands of passengers each.

They unload hoardes of tourists onto places that are already overrun by people (Venice is a good example) who don't tend to even spend locally, be it on hotels or restaurants.

The sooner they're banned altogether the better although it seems their popularity is actually increasing.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Aug 2019 08:05:08 27,592 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Absolutely hate cruise ships, both in terms of their environmental impact and what type of tourism they bring to a locality.

Saw three of those monsters blowing humongous clouds of exhaust fumes into the air by just running idle outside Cannes (and single ships elsewhere during our holiday), it was pretty shocking to see that. They must've carried thousands of passengers each.

They unload hoardes of tourists onto places that are already overrun by people (Venice is a good example) who don't tend to even spend locally, be it on hotels or restaurants.

The sooner they're banned altogether the better although it seems their popularity is actually increasing.
    They just announced their banning from Venice, hopefully a sign.
  • Deleted user 13 August 2019 08:23:42
    Post deleted
  • monkehhh 13 Aug 2019 09:58:53 5,176 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @GuybrushFreepwood I feel like the crew's quarters will be where the party's at.
  • ShaktiWaghela 13 Aug 2019 10:01:30 2 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    I am planning to Bali as my graduation travel.
  • Deleted user 13 August 2019 17:39:14
    Post deleted
  • elstoof 13 Aug 2019 17:49:41 24,519 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Think youíve been a pretty good sport from what Iíve read mate, Iíd have been a miserable antisocial cunt from the minute I was told I was going but youíve given it a good chance
  • anephric 13 Aug 2019 17:58:56 3,542 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've done a cruise and told my missus never again. I'm no spring chicken and we were probably the only people on there who weren't alive when FDR was.

It's also fucking boring for the at-sea days. And a lot of the shore trips were incredibly faffy and short-lived. And expensive.

It was a bit like the Poseidon Adventure though. Ah well, it was an experience. There were a lot of American retirees on the cruise I went on who were incredibly rude and entitled-acting to the crew.
  • Deleted user 13 August 2019 19:16:26
    Post deleted
  • fontgeeksogood 13 Aug 2019 19:18:14 7,746 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    If its a British cruise ship those poor bastards won't even get tips

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.