Travelling... Page 71

• elstoof 18 Dec 2019 17:43:17 25,980 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You donít even have to leave the main strip to see that in San Francisco
  • Frogofdoom 18 Dec 2019 17:46:09 16,879 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Indeed, but to be honest it's not something that actually bothers me when I choose a holiday destination. If I took into account every city's issues when I was planning I would never go anywhere. The Philippines has over 20 percent of the population living below the poverty line but it wont stop me visiting there one day either.
  • Your-Mother 18 Dec 2019 17:50:00 4,735 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Your-Mother wrote:
    Absolutely this. Go just a few blocks off strip and youíre suddenly surrounded by crack dens, homeless camps and meth heads tweaking out in broad daylight.
    Sounds like most of the larger American cities to me.
    It's the veneer that Vegas puts off that's insidious. The sheer effort and expense expended to hide the problem and keep up the illusion of wealth and luxury, rather than dealing with the issues, has led to a literal underground homeless city - https://www.huffpost.com/entry/las-vegas-homeless-storm-tunnels_n_5df78f79e4b0ae01a1e3cac6

Other cities have problems, sure, but this is a step beyond that.

EDIT: Multiple link tags are still broken I see.

Edited by Your-Mother at 17:51:13 18-12-2019
  • Your-Mother 18 Dec 2019 17:59:23 4,735 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Indeed, but to be honest it's not something that actually bothers me when I choose a holiday destination. If I took into account every city's issues when I was planning I would never go anywhere. The Philippines has over 20 percent of the population living below the poverty line but it wont stop me visiting there one day either.
    Right, but you know that Vegas being a tourist destination is one of the major causes of the issues, yes? It's built on a tourist economy that's inherently unsustainable long-term. It's like how Venice is pretty much being destroyed by over-tourism, and that would certainly factor into my thoughts as to where to go visit. There's a happy medium somewhere for sustainable tourism, sure, but Vegas in particular is going radically the other direction. It's a giant embodiment of a get rich quick scheme for commercial developers.
  • Tonka 18 Dec 2019 20:01:51 31,094 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    This over tourism thing had started to bother me. Flying is easy too cheap and finding "hidden gems" is just a Google away.

I'm definitely a part of the problem and it's bothering me.

Even my hidden beach on the island where I grew up is getting crowded. (And not just by cows like it used to be)
  • RyanDS 21 Dec 2019 12:55:38 13,325 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyone done the golden loop in vietnam? Basically goes da nang, hue, laos border, hoi an. Doing it tomorrow and debating getting a big bike or a scooter. 350 odd miles so two days on big bike is tempting, but depending on the roads a scooter may be better.

Will be solo if that makes any difference.
  • elstoof 21 Dec 2019 13:03:39 25,980 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If youíre Vietnamese isnít up to scratch thereís the risk youíll be asking locals for a golden shower
  • RyanDS 21 Dec 2019 13:08:49 13,325 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    If youíre Vietnamese isnít up to scratch thereís the risk youíll be asking locals for a golden shower
    You make that sound like a bad thing?
  • anephric 21 Dec 2019 14:24:19 4,335 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Syrette It was pretty busy, and the Xmas markets have been voted best in Europe this year, contrary to my Deutschland-is-better opinion. Weather was unseasonably mild, 14-15įC during the day, only slightly chilly at night. I think it had been much colder the week before.

Pretty expensive too, the days of Budapest and Prague being cheap are long gone.

Dropping 400 Euros at a Michelin-star restaurant for a meal for two also did not help my Chrimbo budget #humblebrag. Made my missus happy tho!
  • anephric 21 Dec 2019 14:26:57 4,335 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Anyone done the golden loop in vietnam? Basically goes da nang, hue, laos border, hoi an.
    I was in Sang Bang, Dang Gong. I was all over that place.
  • fontgeeksogood 21 Dec 2019 15:01:25 10,585 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I remember once going to Ooh Eee Ahh Ahh Tang Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang

Yes, to see the Vietnamese witch doctor
  • RyanDS 28 Dec 2019 03:56:25 13,325 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well the bike loop was a mixture of amazing and... not so much fun. 6 hours into day 2 was alone in the mountains by the Laos border. Goat ran out, hit the brakes, hit some gravel and went down hard. Took all the skin off in a 2 inch section below my knee, bone showing. And I had the pleasure of being in the mountains alone. Had to ride 20 minutes before I found someone, followed them 30 minutes to get to a hospital. I say hospital, but this was a small town so they had to send for a doctor, and then send for x Ray's etc. Was sitting there for 2 hours, and honestly must have been sitting in a pint of blood by the time they did anything. Anyway, got stitched up, whole deal cost me about £20.

Then had to drive next day to a decent size town, where the surgeons looked at my cobbled together leg in horror,gave me another antibiotics. (When was being stitched up there was no surgery, rather I was on a table lying in blood with a huge audience.)

Not much pain, I can walk on it etc, but struggling to shift the infection. Yesterday did komodo which was amazing, was lucky to see them eating a buffalo. Then flew to Bali, plan was to stay here one day, get leg looked at then move on. But just left hospital and the doctors gave me long long long lectures to stop doing my 10k a day walks, rest and go to them every day to check on progress as the wound hasn't healed at all. So fucked off, have to sit in one place now for 6 days, minimal drinking and cant hike.

Not my dream trip this.
  • reddevil93 28 Dec 2019 04:48:37 15,616 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Injuries and illness while traveling sucks huge amounts of ass. Hope you heal up soon.
  • Armoured_Bear 28 Dec 2019 04:58:58 29,022 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @RyanDS
    Thatís rubbish mate, could be much worse though. at least itís nothing serious.

My exotic trip currently involves sitting in the back of a 7 seater car with ďOld MacDonald had a farmĒ on the stereo ..
  • elstoof 28 Dec 2019 07:38:12 25,980 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    With the words ďFREE ICE CREAMĒ painted on the side
  • Armoured_Bear 17 Jan 2020 22:36:02 29,022 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Off to Colmar tomorrow, that'll be the diet delayed again then...
  • Armoured_Bear 10 Feb 2020 19:11:13 29,022 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A wee summary of my Japan trip in November, maybe itís of help to someoneÖ

Kyushu was really awesome, pretty much the whole island is covered in beautiful mountains and volcanos, hot springs and the coastline is really gorgeous in places.

A few highlights were :

Karatsu

We saw the first night of the Karatsu Kunchi festival which was stunning and bonkers, a dozen floats are dragged through the town by hundreds of people chanting, playing music etc. it was magical.

Yakushima

When we arrived, we picked the hire car up and drove round the circumference of the island and apart from the beautiful semi-tropical scenery, we saw obscene amounts of monkeys and deer, we had to take every corner slowly because youíd come round one and there would be 20 monkeys in the middle of the road, pretty much ignoring your car 
    The hikes in the mossy rainforests were really beautiful too, great place to spend 3 days or so.

Amamioshima

Had 4 days here and would happily have spent longer, itís a decent sized island with a beautiful coastline and some stunning nature. We were overwhelmed by the people there, we stayed in a wee guesthouse with us as the only guests, the host invited us to stay for dinner as a mate of his was visiting, some others were coming round and they were having a ďgyoza partyĒ. One guest was a grizzled old farmer who insisted that we come to his farm the next day for lunch, he picked loads of stuff from the farm and made tempura from it with crab soup etc. and gave us a bag of prezzies to take away. Amazingly generous and kind, really touched our wee hearts.

Nagasaki

The city is quite ugly in some ways but has a stunning setting, being surrounded by beautiful mountains and it has so many great places to visit with such an interesting history. The atomic bomb museum was very sobering to say the least but very well done, as is the peace park. Itís a city that really grew on me, well worth a visit, great food as well.

Kagoshima

Kagoshima is quite a normal Japanese city but I really enjoyed it, has some spectacular restaurants and the view to Sakurajima in front of it was stunning. Itís a great base to visit some amazing volcanoes and other beautiful nature too.

Mount Aso

A very pleasant surprise, we couldnít hike to the crater as the volcanic activity was too high but it was stunning, so powerful, so beautiful, not sure if pictures do it justice. Iíd love to go back and spend more time there.

Kurokawa Onsen
    The most beautiful onsen town Iíve seen so far, small but picture perfect.

Sumo
    Saw a sumo competition in Fukuoka and it was bloody brilliant, great atmosphere, the buzz building up then everyone going mad with the tension during the bout, the colours and ceremony were a joy to experience. Would love to go again and sit closer.

• JoelStinty 10 Feb 2020 19:17:44 8,970 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wow. Great Pictures AB. Extremely jealous. Kyushu looks wonderful. I actually cut it from my upcoming trip as there was too many places I wanted to go too and decided I would do what you did and spend some quality time there another time. I think you said you were going to spend 3-4 weeks there?
  • Armoured_Bear 10 Feb 2020 19:42:46 29,022 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Wow. Great Pictures AB. Extremely jealous. Kyushu looks wonderful. I actually cut it from my upcoming trip as there was too many places I wanted to go too and decided I would do what you did and spend some quality time there another time. I think you said you were going to spend 3-4 weeks there?
    Thanks Joel, yeah I spent 4 weeks there, not nearly enough time to see half of what it has to offer .

So, what are your plans for your trip?
  • JoelStinty 10 Feb 2020 20:32:26 8,970 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Iím starting in Tokyo and then working my way west as far as Hiroshima, then dropping down to Shikoku for a week and then back across to Tokyo. So after Tokyo, Kamakura and Hakone, then up to Nagano across to Takayama then Kyoto. Then quite a bit in Osaka and Okayama (seems there are a million day trips you can do). Hiroshima then Matsyuma and Takamatsu, Fuji five lakes then Nikko and Tokyo for a few more days. Really excited. Flight is two weeks Thursday.

What was your favourite place in Kyushu. Still a little upset that Iím not going to see Mt Aso and Yakushima. Did you get to see Beppu? Or Miyazaki?
  • Armoured_Bear 10 Feb 2020 20:57:24 29,022 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Iím starting in Tokyo and then working my way west as far as Hiroshima, then dropping down to Shikoku for a week and then back across to Tokyo. So after Tokyo, Kamakura and Hakone, then up to Nagano across to Takayama then Kyoto. Then quite a bit in Osaka and Okayama (seems there are a million day trips you can do). Hiroshima then Matsyuma and Takamatsu, Fuji five lakes then Nikko and Tokyo for a few more days. Really excited. Flight is two weeks Thursday.

What was your favourite place in Kyushu. Still a little upset that Iím not going to see Mt Aso and Yakushima. Did you get to see Beppu? Or Miyazaki?
    That sounds awesome, how long will you be there in total?
    I didn't go to Beppu, didn't have enough time so Oita was cut for next time, we only spent one night in Miyazaki and regretted not spending more time there as the countryside around there was really beautiful, it felt a bit different to the rest of the island.

Hard to choose one place, I really loved Mount Aso as it was more beautiful than I expected, the Karatsu festival was unforgettable, I can hear the chants in my head still! Amamioshima was very beautiful and chilled with amazing "people" experiences. Fukuoka was cool, just a big Japanese city without being so special but great to go out, shop etc.
    Oh we also stayed in Hitoyoshi which was really lovely.

Hotel room view:

I'm envious that you're going to Shikoku, should be really interesting and have few tourists.
  • JoelStinty 10 Feb 2020 21:44:05 8,970 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Two months! Doesnít seem a lot of places for two months but I like taking things slow and quite happy just walking around in random directions. Also helps on costs etc and you get a proper feel for places. Iíve booked a few hostels etc already but can easily cancel etc if plans take me elsewhere. But outside the cities japan isnít like SEA and pre booking accommodation seems the sensible thing to do.
  • Armoured_Bear 10 Feb 2020 22:33:20 29,022 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Two months! Doesnít seem a lot of places for two months but I like taking things slow and quite happy just walking around in random directions. Also helps on costs etc and you get a proper feel for places. Iíve booked a few hostels etc already but can easily cancel etc if plans take me elsewhere. But outside the cities japan isnít like SEA and pre booking accommodation seems the sensible thing to do.
    Awesome!
    Sounds good to me, one mistake we made on the last trip was staying in a few places for only one night, will avoid that in the future. I'd rather not rush too much either. I usually pre-book in Japan too, btw I could dig out a few tips for a few places you're going if you like...
  • JoelStinty 11 Feb 2020 10:08:57 8,970 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah that be fantastic man, be really helpful.
  • Armoured_Bear 12 Feb 2020 10:31:12 29,022 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Yeah that be fantastic man, be really helpful.
    I'll need a wee bit of time to dig things out but to start, a few food joints in Osaka we really liked:

1. Oretachino-curry Ramen Koji Labo Osaka-namba
    Link
    Great cheap place to enjoy some Japanese curry.

2.Yasubee Dotonbori
    Link
    Great ramen joint near Dotonbori.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.