Travelling... Page 75

Next Last
  • Armoured_Bear 2 Nov 2020 09:50:50 29,798 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    I've figured out where I'm going next. Now all I need is that fucking vaccine...

How much longer?
    Probably at least a year.
    Where you off to next?

I'm very keen on a 1 week Taiwan, 1 week Korea, 3-4 weeks Japan combo.
    Or even a 4 week Japan, 1-2 weeks in Thailand or Vietnam mix.
  • Tonka 2 Nov 2020 10:39:35 31,651 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    China again, mountains and ancient towns again. And some waterfalls and temples on top of mountains. And noodles. A region called something that I keep forgetting. A bit down on the list of places to visit (like way down below all the things people visit) so as long as we manage to avoid the big public holidays it will hopefully be quiet.

But we're not going to spend 2 weeks in a quarantine hotel so most likely not going until 2022. A big trip like that takes time to plan so if things open up early next year, we still probably wouldn't be able to go next summer.

Wouldn't mind a trip in Europe before that. The kids are able to swim now so some snorkeling in the Mediterranean perhaps.
  • Psychotext 2 Nov 2020 10:56:07 69,731 posts
    Seen 8 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I can't imagine going on holiday for a month. The longest I've ever been away for is two weeks, and to be honest, I just wanted to get back to some sort of normality by that point.
  • DaM 2 Nov 2020 10:57:24 17,628 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Travelled to B and Q 2 miles away yesterday, as I don't think I'm allowed to today!
  • askew 2 Nov 2020 11:12:41 22,837 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    what is travel
  • Armoured_Bear 2 Nov 2020 11:55:21 29,798 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    I can't imagine going on holiday for a month. The longest I've ever been away for is two weeks, and to be honest, I just wanted to get back to some sort of normality by that point.
    It's awesome, I've never managed more than 6 weeks but would love to go away for much longer.If I travel to the other side of the world to a large country, I'm just getting settled in after 2 weeks :)

:( I miss holidays.
  • Armoured_Bear 2 Nov 2020 11:55:59 29,798 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    Travelled to B and Q 2 miles away yesterday, as I don't think I'm allowed to today!
    Nice one, would love a look at that sweet itinerary...
  • anephric 2 Nov 2020 12:46:30 4,858 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've done a three-week US road trip before and tbh I think I'm a bit old for more than that now. You just want to go home and have a cup of tea. The endless checking in and out of hotels got old really quick too.
  • Psychotext 2 Nov 2020 13:22:06 69,731 posts
    Seen 8 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Welp, so much for leaving the UK via Cardiff.

People in Wales will be subject to the same ban on international travel as people in England.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54778942
  • Tonka 2 Nov 2020 16:14:18 31,651 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    I've done a three-week US road trip before and tbh I think I'm a bit old for more than that now. You just want to go home and have a cup of tea. The endless checking in and out of hotels got old really quick too.
    The trick, for me, is to stay at least three nights at the short stops, and five plus at the longer ones.
  • Psychotext 2 Nov 2020 17:35:55 69,731 posts
    Seen 8 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I must admit, I do still kinda love the idea of hiring some stupid big Winnebago and driving across America over the period of a month or something.
  • Dougs 3 Nov 2020 08:16:25 98,009 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Always wanted do the PCH like that. Usual tourist places in LA, San Francisco, a few wine tours etc, ending up in Astoria for a Goonies pilgrimage.
  • barchetta 3 Nov 2020 08:42:49 3,091 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    That was our summer holiday plan before you-know-what happened. Four days in NYC, internal flight to SF for a few nights then RV to Yosemite then on to Seattle and home.

Then, Christmas New Year in Florence/Rome with Vesuvius on the end for my 50th...

Going to be 2 years before any chance of that now. But fuck it, really was a 1st world problem. Shame for the kids but 2 years time will (maybe) fit post-GCSE/A-levels.
  • DaM 3 Nov 2020 08:50:34 17,628 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    DaM wrote:
    Nice one, would love a look at that sweet itinerary...
    Couldn't get any of the local streetfood (roll and sausage and black pudding) from the trendy food wagon in the carpark, as I had no cash :(
  • DaM 3 Nov 2020 08:53:56 17,628 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    barchetta wrote:
    That was our summer holiday plan before you-know-what happened. Four days in NYC, internal flight to SF for a few nights then RV to Yosemite then on to Seattle and home.

Then, Christmas New Year in Florence/Rome with Vesuvius on the end for my 50th...

Going to be 2 years before any chance of that now. But fuck it, really was a 1st world problem. Shame for the kids but 2 years time will (maybe) fit post-GCSE/A-levels.
    We did most of that in reverse last year. Yosemite is amazing, love to go back there. One of the best things we did was getting the California Zephyr train from SF to Chicago (we had to go to Wisconsin to see my wife's childhood home). Sitting in our cabin, drinking wine, watching the ever changing scenery go by. We went through every area of RDR2.
  • TheSaint 3 Nov 2020 08:55:03 20,388 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The RV thing has always seemed like such a pain in the arse to me. I've done loads of US road trips around various states and I'd always get the nicest car possible within my budget and then stay in hotels/motels.

That has to be better then campsites and emptying chemical toilets.

Edited by TheSaint at 08:57:59 03-11-2020
  • barchetta 3 Nov 2020 09:00:07 3,091 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Ha, we normally camp - so it would feel luxurious to us!
  • Psychotext 3 Nov 2020 09:17:53 69,731 posts
    Seen 8 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Would be slightly different for me as I'd be taking bikes too. Much better to have somewhere safe to store them (and of course with an RV you can stay pretty close to the trails).
  • Tonka 3 Nov 2020 09:30:27 31,651 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    One of the best things we did was getting the California Zephyr train from SF to Chicago (we had to go to Wisconsin to see my wife's childhood home). Sitting in our cabin, drinking wine, watching the ever changing scenery go by. We went through every area of RDR2.
    How long did it take? I love riding trains in other countries. Heck, I enjoy it in Sweden too. It's a relaxing way to see a lot of land. Been on quite a few 6-8 hour rides in China.
  • DaM 3 Nov 2020 09:50:50 17,628 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    DaM wrote:
    One of the best things we did was getting the California Zephyr train from SF to Chicago (we had to go to Wisconsin to see my wife's childhood home). Sitting in our cabin, drinking wine, watching the ever changing scenery go by. We went through every area of RDR2.
    How long did it take? I love riding trains in other countries. Heck, I enjoy it in Sweden too. It's a relaxing way to see a lot of land. Been on quite a few 6-8 hour rides in China.
    Timetabled for 51 hours...but it's often delayed, it comes bottom of the priority over freight trains. We arrived in Chicago a bit late and missed our connection, so I had a bonus 60 minutes running around downtown taking pics (while the family ate crap pizza in the lounge).

I actually thought it was going to be a disaster...stuck on a train for 2 days, in 2 small rooms, with 2 teenagers and one almost teenager...but it went very well, they had wifi! Splash out for a cabin with dining.
  • Tonka 3 Nov 2020 09:53:18 31,651 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Would love to do a 51 hour train trip. Maybe I'll do the Trans-Siberian in the future. Preferably without the kids though.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 3 Nov 2020 13:18:23 4,210 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Would love to do a 51 hour train trip. Maybe I'll do the Trans-Siberian in the future. Preferably without the kids though.
    Doing my version of the Trans-Siberian probably counts as my longest holiday trip (28 days in Russia and a few days on either end) although it was technically also a moving back to UK from 3 years loving in Korea trip. I enjoyed it overall and did Vladivostok to Moscow with a detour on the BAM line via Komsomolsk and Tynda. Would have been easier with less luggage though. And yeah, not one for most kids (I am sure some could manage but...)
  • barchetta 3 Nov 2020 18:52:01 3,091 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    My last big trip to the US was back in October 2000 and somewhat unplanned. Seems like prehistory now.

Was spending a few days in Toronto with family friends and decided to hire a car. Technically, shouldn’t have gone out of Ontario region but in 10 days I drove down through New England, visited Salem, Boston, on down to Gettysburg then back up through the White Mountains and over to Buffalo/Niagara and back to Toronto.

Hire Agent didn’t even flinch at the mileage!

Was hard going as I went on my own but enjoyed seeing both the beauty and squalor of the US all the same.

Edited by barchetta at 18:52:27 03-11-2020
  • Darth_Flibble 6 Dec 2020 13:54:13 4,927 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Someone I know from work, lives in Saigon and the lack of tourists is damaging a lot of businesses across the country. But he is been going to restaurants, night outs like normal unlike the UK

My work contract expires in march and with the job market the way it is I don't think I will get another there :( (I did go for a job but found out I didn't get it on Friday evening and have to email (for no doubt bullshit) feedback

I doubt travel will be back by march but looking forward the day we can. Thinking of Sri-lanka then going for drinks in saigon to meet my friend
  • RyanDS 16 Feb 2021 09:48:10 13,821 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hmm... rumours coming out of Thailand that borders will be open from June with zero quarantine if you are vaccinated. Pilot in phuket in April.

If so that is the best news I have heard in years. In have nearly 40 days holiday to use so a couple of months in thai sun working could finally be something to look forward to.

Where to get a vaccine though quickly is the issue.
  • Armoured_Bear 16 Feb 2021 10:12:30 29,798 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I so much look forward to there being enough vaccination for safe travel, miss it so much.
  • Psychotext 16 Feb 2021 12:21:08 69,731 posts
    Seen 8 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I just went through my calendar cancelling certain events / setting up events that I think are more likely to happen.

Next planned international trip is Sweden in April for a bikepacking event, which I'm waiting for them to re-arrange, again (last year's was postponed to this year). Then Italy (Dolomites) in June for a mountain biking race. That's the first one I think might be possible, but unless something significant changes between now and then, I doubt I will have had my vaccine by that point.

After that is the Olympics at the end of July. Yeah. =/
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.