• TheJackKetch 1 Feb 2018 10:50:20 168 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Nice, thanks for the tips
  • TheJackKetch 1 Feb 2018 10:58:40 168 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Will do, can't wait.
    Yeah, been told that, hanging onto my hyper 5 year old is going to be the tricky part!
  • DaM 1 Feb 2018 11:58:49 17,172 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    When is Ecosse not on holiday?
    He's treating countries like Pokemon...

We have to go to Sweden for an 80th birthday party in the summer, so are planning a wee trip before/after it.

I'm more into driving up into the Arctic Circle, but my wife thinks the kids will be bored. She wants to do the Baltic states. We have an electric car, so I know Sweden/Norway will be easier.
  • DaM 1 Feb 2018 12:16:40 17,172 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I know...they travel quite well. Bastards the rest of the time.
  • Tonka 1 Feb 2018 12:19:05 28,514 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Shouldn't you be giving me a fuckton of China advice right now? :)
    I was about to and then I got a bit nervous abut it. I've got it so easy since my wife is a native speaker. Not sure how you'd get by in Zhangjiajie or some little hotel along the rivers near Yangshuo without being able to speak Chinese.

There's a pretty big risk you'd get shafted left right and center.

That said, riding a bicycle along the Li river was a definite high light. AND.... I know of a very nice hotel where the owner is a South African married to a chinese woman.

I was there for a snack and noticed the owner couple were very helpful with their predominantly western clientele. http://www.yangshuosecretgarden.com/

If you haven't seen Beijing then that's a no brainer. Forbidden City, Ho Hai, Bei Hai park, 798 Art District, The Great Wall (make sure you go to Mutianyu or Simatai. Whatever you do, STAY THE FUCK AWAY from Badaling), Liulichang antique street that kind of links up with Dashilan street, The view of the Forbidden City from the hills in Jingshan park, eating roast Duck in the deliciously east bloc restaurant at the south east end of Tienanmen, the trashy gentrification at Nanluoguxiang, the cool geek shops (if they havent been torn down) just east of the drum tower (there are some good restaurants and cafés around the area north of the drum tower)

We stayed at https://www.booking.com/hotel/cn/grand-xidan-beijing.html
    wich is within easy walking distance of the drum tower and Nanluoguxian to the west and Ghost street with all the restaurants to the east.

Also, if in Beijing you can take a high speed train to Pingyao where you should stay at this place https://www.booking.com/hotel/cn/pingyao-tianyuankui.en-gb.html

Because their food was delicious.
  • Syrette 1 Feb 2018 12:19:37 49,984 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Syrette wrote:
    When is Ecosse not on holiday?
    For the next 6 months :)

I've been very lucky the last few years.
    Fair enough!

Colour me very jealous.
  • Tonka 1 Feb 2018 12:34:48 28,514 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    We have to go to Sweden for an 80th birthday party in the summer, so are planning a wee trip before/after it.
    Where in Sweden are you going? Will you be driving from London? Taking a ferry to Gothenburg or will you take that weird ass tunnel I wouldn't trust between England and France?
  • Syrette 1 Feb 2018 13:08:37 49,984 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear

Sardinia, but staying with our Sardinian mate at his parent's house and have cheap flights so that's worked out well.

Next year is a big deal to us so we're planning on a special holiday - Asia is definitely an option. We know we won't be looking at any luxury options.
  • DaM 1 Feb 2018 13:22:14 17,172 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    DaM wrote:
    Where in Sweden are you going? Will you be driving from London? Taking a ferry to Gothenburg or will you take that weird ass tunnel I wouldn't trust between England and France?
    I think it's near Landskrona.
    We are travelling from Glasgow, so I think we'll get the ferry from Newcastle to the Netherlands. My wife is good at planning this sort of stuff :)
  • Tonka 1 Feb 2018 13:33:36 28,514 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Is your wife Swedish? (Realised you might not need travel recommendations)
  • anephric 1 Feb 2018 13:41:05 2,998 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear

Sardinia, but staying with our Sardinian mate at his parent's house and have cheap flights so that's worked out well.
    I thought Sardinia was lovely as long as you go before three million Italians decamp there for their hollipops. Out of season it's great.
  • Salaman 1 Feb 2018 14:03:09 23,255 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    will you take that weird ass tunnel I wouldn't trust between England and France?
    What is wrong with you? That is one convenient tunnel! Used to take it regularly.
  • Tonka 1 Feb 2018 14:21:03 28,514 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The day I trust a joint venture between tea drinkers and frog eaters...
  • DaM 1 Feb 2018 15:49:18 17,172 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Is your wife Swedish? (Realised you might not need travel recommendations)
    No...she is foreign, though, English :)

Her grandfather landed in Normandy a couple of days before D-Day. Really not sure doing what, he's dead now. He then fought his way across Europe, and met a 16 yr old Swedish girl in a German city. Married her and brought her home. I never met her unfortunately.

Her sister is having her 80th birthday party and people are coming from all over for it. Should be a good adventure!
  • Technoishmatt 1 Feb 2018 16:15:16 2,870 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear I can recommend Hawaii :)

Also - Okinawa is on my list. Basically great Japanese food on a tropical island.

Argentina is huuuuuge. Can go visiting farms in the semi-arid Patagonia (probably, that is what I do, but then my wife's uncle has a sheep farm there :p), climb a huge glacier (Perito Moreno), drive across vast grasslands (Las Pampas), visit excellent vineyards in Mendoza, soak in the food/culture in Buenos Aires, traverse the jungle in the north, relax by the beach, etc.

On a recent trip I was also quite amazed by the southern/middle part of Chile - which bizarrely felt like Switzerland (green hills, mountains, and lakes).
  • Syrette 1 Feb 2018 16:19:12 49,984 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Part of me would love to go to Mexico. Then another stupid part of me thinks it's the most dangerous place on the planet, where I might get offed by a cartel.

Edited by Syrette at 16:19:52 01-02-2018
  • Tonka 1 Feb 2018 17:56:25 28,514 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Tonka wrote:
    The day I trust a joint venture between tea drinkers and frog eaters...
    You complain about eating frogs and travel all over China?🤔
    I stick to toads
  • wobbly_Bob 1 Feb 2018 20:57:55 4,706 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have booked a holiday far away in exotic lands... It's Whitby. Though as a Londener thats pretty exotic :p Six hours on a train if a away. Unfortunately I need a holiday in the UK where we can take our dog with us. Having said that I'm really excited to be going. If anybody has any less obvious recommendations of what to do then that would be great! Also any great local beers recommendations would be heartily received also.
  • wobbly_Bob 1 Feb 2018 22:17:26 4,706 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    I have booked a holiday far away in exotic lands... It's Whitby. Though as a Londener thats pretty exotic :p Six hours on a train if a away. Unfortunately I need a holiday in the UK where we can take our dog with us. Having said that I'm really excited to be going. If anybody has any less obvious recommendations of what to do then that would be great! Also any great local beers recommendations would be heartily received also.
    What kind of dog?
    West Highland terrier. He obviously wanted to go Scotland but we said no. That said that's on the list of UK places to go.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 2 Feb 2018 12:25:05 3,201 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Trying to figure out where to go for our main holiday this year.
    As we spent shitloads last year going to Japan for a month, India, Lake Como and a load of Euro trips we want to not spend too much cash.
    Ideally I'd go to Argentina but need to be sensible and improve my finances.

We can go between October and the end of the year for 4-5 weeks and as usual, thinking of Asia (we're utter food wankers).
    We've already been to Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Myanmar, Singapore, Hong Kong, the Philippines and Japan.

We were thinking of visiting Laos and Cambodia with a bit of time in Vietnam or Thailand visiting new places, we'd typically spend the time 1/3 lazy beach, 1/3 city and 1/3 nature.

Taiwan/China could also be cool.

Any suggestions?
    I gave a bit if Cambodia advice a few pages (2 weeks ago) but can answer nore specifically if you have particular questions as I covered a fair bit of the country (not the beaches). It is one of my favourite countries as the people are very friendly (Thailand always felt so much more fake to me), food was decent, prices were cheap and lots of cool stuff to see.

I have heard that Laos is cool too but never made it there in the end (did the extended trans Siberian/Baikal-Amur line trip from Vladivostok to Moscow instead).

As for Okinawa, even while living in Japan it was always bottom of my list. Too many American airbases and not caring about beaches factor in there a bit though. It might be interesting if there are any vestiges if Rykyuan culture remaining though. I wouldn't refuse to go there but places like Hokkaido cake first in my priority list while living in Japan.

Edit - typos

Edited by One_Vurfed_Gwrx at 12:28:58 02-02-2018

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.