Following Final Fantasy XV Page 108

• ilmaestro 18 Apr 2018 00:25:19 32,924 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    because I was paranoid about a crash
    Wouldn’t beat yourself up over this decision, crashes are definitely too prevalent to be ignored completely.

Arena is super worth doing for everything *except* what you’re doing, imo :p

Edited by ilmaestro at 00:26:17 18-04-2018
  • Rodderz 18 Apr 2018 14:44:10 3,458 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cid called and I got my shiny new Ultima blade last night and I have to say I'm liking this weapon! Is there any way to see a visual representation of the blade in the inventory?

The downside from yesterday evenings adventures was a hunt against Coeurls.... bloody Coeurls. I hadn't met these enemies before and 3 Game Over's later I hope to not see them again for a while! The following is loose representation of my experience fighting against them, complete with initial cockiness before it all went to shit: https://youtu.be/xWgDX_6Hh9I

:)
  • Psiloc 18 Apr 2018 15:12:42 4,842 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Avoid attacking Coeurls when they sit down. That triggers the instant death revenge attack.

I'm pretty sure you can view weapon close ups (as well as stats) from the inventory screen, but I don't know the button off the top of my head.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 Apr 2018 15:15:50 4,533 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Wouldn’t beat yourself up over this decision, crashes are definitely too prevalent to be ignored completely.

I did pick up the other prizes first... :)

Just 500k to go. I'll push through that at some point over the next few days, depending on the availability of my Divinity: Original Sin 2 co-op partner.
  • Navi 18 Apr 2018 15:28:01 275 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    Avoid attacking Coeurls when they sit down. That triggers the instant death revenge attack.

I'm pretty sure you can view weapon close ups (as well as stats) from the inventory screen, but I don't know the button off the top of my head.
    Equipping the Safety Bit helps as well as that ignores the instant death attack. Still no joke though as the Elder Coeurls put out a decent amount of damage.
  • Rodderz 18 Apr 2018 15:44:29 3,458 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They just kept frazzling me with electricity, the rest of the team went down in seconds and in the heat of the moment, trying to fight 6 of them, it's hard to gauge whether they're sitting down or whatever 😕

Anyway, that's another hunt on the list I'll avoid until I've spent my XP for some major level gains.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 Apr 2018 15:48:30 4,533 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rodderz Anything that gives lightning resistance will help vs Coeurls. Don't forget that their big lightning AoE, which is their most dangerous move, is centred on themselves. If you spot the telegraph and get out of range, you can avoid it easily enough.

The point about not attacking them when they sit down is also crucial.
  • ilmaestro 18 Apr 2018 15:56:24 32,924 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    ilmaestro wrote:
    Rogueywon wrote:

I did pick up the other prizes first... :)
    Oh, I figured, just warning any poor souls who saw your posts and wondered if they were truly missing out on something. :p

Rodderz wrote:
    Game Over
    Buy more Phoenix Downs ^^;

Edited by ilmaestro at 15:57:47 18-04-2018
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 Apr 2018 20:53:05 4,533 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    And... DONE! Got my Magitek Generator.

And I am never doing another monster area fight. Ever.
  • Rodderz 18 Apr 2018 20:58:32 3,458 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Rodderz Anything that gives lightning resistance will help vs Coeurls. Don't forget that their big lightning AoE, which is their most dangerous move, is centred on themselves. If you spot the telegraph and get out of range, you can avoid it easily enough.

The point about not attacking them when they sit down is also crucial.
    I'll make sure to look out for some lightning resistance items! They're a tough fight to keep track of though, mostly because of the number of them, concentrating on one and another sneaks up and I get fried.

Rogueywon wrote:
    And... DONE! Got my Magitek Generator.

And I am never doing another monster area fight. Ever.
    Sounds like a joy I'm yet to experience :)
  • Rodderz 18 Apr 2018 21:00:28 3,458 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    Rodderz wrote:
    Game Over
    I burned through the lot, all 6 of them :D

Edited by Rodderz at 21:01:59 18-04-2018
  • Fonzie 18 Apr 2018 21:12:43 3,316 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't know if this still works, but I used Bow of the Clever and Overwhelm to great effect. Managed to Platinum the game using this in the end game.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-xv/74706555

That link should show how to use it. This was about a year ago and I haven't touched it since, so it may well have been patched out now. Used to get crazy damage with it.
  • ilmaestro 18 Apr 2018 23:58:28 32,924 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    They fixed that now, it was a bit too obviously broken even in the context of this game's "fruity" combat system. :D

Rodderz wrote:
    ilmaestro wrote:
    Rodderz wrote:
    Game Over
    I burned through the lot, all 6 of them :D
    Haha, A+ for persistence at least. XD

Edited by ilmaestro at 00:03:58 19-04-2018
  • Rodderz 24 Apr 2018 12:30:11 3,458 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Finally took care of those Necromancers the other day: https://youtu.be/VSZKpeoWLfs

It was still a bit if a ball ache but I'd levelled up to lvl.50 which made things more manageable and I had a bit of help to finish them off near the end :) I've encountered Necromancers since then, but they seem far easier for some reason??

I also dealt with those pesky Coeurls too, so I've avenged my previous losses!

Currently up to Chapter 8 and now lvl.64. I did a mission in a sewer dungeon near the Insomnia border last night which had a number of higher level enemies, including Yojimbo twice, a black flan, a giant Naga snake creature and some sort of huge Chinese dragon type monster in the lowest depths. All dealt with!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 24 Apr 2018 16:12:40 4,533 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rodderz That dungeon was Crestholm Channels. It's the second-hardest optional dungeon you have access to at this point in the game. If you want the hardest, try Costlemark Tower over in Duscae (not too far from the Chocobo Ranch). It's a bit harder than Crestholm, but eminently doable at level 64, plus the reward is nice.
  • Deleted user 24 April 2018 18:44:38
    After buying this at launch I'm finally playing it on the xbox x. It looks lovely and I'm quite enjoying it so far but does anyone else get the game running with no sound after a resume from standby or when you have to reconnect the controller?

It happens every time for me and only a quit and restart will fix it.
  • Rodderz 24 Apr 2018 20:04:13 3,458 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Rodderz That dungeon was Crestholm Channels. It's the second-hardest optional dungeon you have access to at this point in the game. If you want the hardest, try Costlemark Tower over in Duscae (not too far from the Chocobo Ranch). It's a bit harder than Crestholm, but eminently doable at level 64, plus the reward is nice.
    Costlemark... Funnily enough I think that's exactly where I'm headed now in order to do a sidequest for Dino to find him a super precious stone or something. I feel confident more confident to try it if that last place was the second hardest dungeon!

I'll tell you what is whooping my arse at the moment though, the fishing :). I caught a monster size fish in Vesperpool that I lost before I'd even worn it down even half way, damn thing was so powerful! Lucian Carps aren't much better, though I've just about managed most other fish that I've found so far.
  • ilmaestro 24 Apr 2018 20:08:59 32,924 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    High level fishing is one of the most level-gated things in the game, you need Noct to get at least level 7 for a lot of things to be realistic (you should be able to get the carp though I think, maybe you have a better piece of equipment you can buy from a shop somewhere - not to mention the reel you can get for Arena credit).

Edited by ilmaestro at 20:11:58 24-04-2018
  • Rodderz 24 Apr 2018 20:10:55 3,458 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @JiveHound

I watched a Digital Foundry video a couple of weeks ago on FFXV which was a year or two old now and they mentioned in the video that there was noticeable framerate slowdown on XB1 (this was before the X) when resuming the game from standby, which was rectified by restarting the game. I don't know of that was patched out eventually, but perhaps there are still similar issues? Either way, it's probably best to avoid standby mode for this game!
  • ilmaestro 24 Apr 2018 20:12:21 32,924 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    As for your Necromancers - a lot of mobs have three distinct “tiers” with a lot of stat buffs relative to the previous one: the ones you find in the field, or normal dungeons; the ones you find in Hunts; and the ones you find in post-game dungeons. The bestiary entries have slightly different descriptions, too.
  • Rodderz 24 Apr 2018 20:15:07 3,458 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @ilmaestro

I've maxed Noctis to level 10 in fishing, plus I have some much better equipment (not sure it's the best yet though!). I still got whooped...You were right when you mentioned in an older post that the fishing can be way more punishing than most of the regular battles :D
  • ilmaestro 24 Apr 2018 20:18:04 32,924 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The reel from the Arena sounds like the thing for you then! But yup the fishing is crazy compared to most of the combat xD

Edited by ilmaestro at 20:18:56 24-04-2018
  • Rodderz 24 Apr 2018 20:33:30 3,458 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    As for your Necromancers - a lot of mobs have three distinct “tiers” with a lot of stat buffs relative to the previous one: the ones you find in the field, or normal dungeons; the ones you find in Hunts; and the ones you find in post-game dungeons. The bestiary entries have slightly different descriptions, too.
    Ahhh, you're right! I hadn't ventured into the Bestiary! So it appears the nasty Necromancers I faced on the hunt were clearly 'Beta' versions with just over double HP, which is why it felt easier to kill the wild ones I've come across as they're only Alpha versions.
  • Deleted user 24 April 2018 22:49:50
    @Rodderz Thanks. That does ring bells now you mention it.

Weird.
  • Rodderz 8 May 2018 20:06:17 3,458 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Finished this over the weekend and did a bit of the post game content in order to get the Platinum trophy, which I got from defeating 80's popstar Adam-antoise ;).

Final playtime approximately 136 hours. The only thing I haven't done is the special dungeons found within in each normal dungeon, that unlock with the key Dave's mum gives to you in the post - game

There were some downsides to the game: magic becomes pretty useless when you can hit things more easily and still do plenty of damage, the Aestrals barely showed up and when they did it was always Ramuh, I never saw Titan at all! The story is a very slow burn and could be obtuse, especially early on, and it didn't pick up until much later into the game as I spent most of the time driving round doing hunts for hours and hours!

Chapter 13 dragged a bit and had a few too many corridors, a common complaint apparently - were they trolling fans with that :)? I tried the Chapter 13 part 2 Gladio/Ignis alternative mission after completion, but it wasn't really much more interesting. I'm glad I played this two years after launch though, as it's apparently a more fleshed out game than it was at launch!

I didn't find the game at all difficult either, other than those earlier hunts I mentioned in the thread against the Necromancers and Coeurls. The hardest battle by far was Melusine, who is a lvl.99, timed boss encounter and my team were lvl.66 when I faced her. This was accessed from an optional side-quest from a member of the Hunters HQ that was added to the game last year apparently. It took me a good 20 minutes to beat her, having failed the fight previously at least 10 times through death or dawn breaking, so that was pretty damn enjoyable when I finally completed the challenge.

As for the upsides, the game area you spend most time in, in Lucis, was truly lovely to look at and had interesting nooks and crannies all over the place that encouraged exploration. Altissia was also quite something when I finally made my way there. The combat was awkward at first but I enjoyed the flow eventually.

I did start to enjoy the story more too when it became clearer what was going on and without spoiling anything, I felt genuine sadness at the ending which was rather poignant. I enjoyed my time with Noctis' crew a lot more than I thought, they were all well defined personalities and the bonding between the friends, during the various dialogue and events they experience, does a good job in this regard. It was nice to go back and do some fresh post-game content with the lads again! The director of FFXV also noted in an interview regarding the ending, that Gladio, Ignis and Prompto do actually survive the end part, given we didn't see their fates, but would not be at all happy people given the outcome and having been so used to being a four man team focused so heavily on helping Noct..

I understand there are various 'Episodes' dlc's available that fill in even more details for the team and the main story, with more to come next year including the concluding 'Episode Noctis' finale, so I might consider those at some point in the future if they're going cheap.

All in all not a bad entry in Final Fantasy series, though certainly not the best. I might dip back in eventually to tackle some of those extra dungeons.
  • Psiloc 8 May 2018 20:39:35 4,842 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Rodderz At least play the Ignis DLC. If you enjoyed the ending to the game, that DLC has your back.
  • Rodderz 8 May 2018 21:22:59 3,458 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Psiloc

OK, I'll keep the Ignis content in mind!

I was gutted he suffered such an injury in Chapter 10, but it was heartening to see how the others, especially Prompto, do their best to help him to soldier on. I'm glad he ultimately regained all his abilities in the latter part of the game, despite his disability.
  • Psiloc 9 May 2018 13:04:53 4,842 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Seriously, based on what you’re saying, I can’t recommend the Ignis DLC enough
  • Jyzzy-Z 10 Sep 2018 20:45:42 3,495 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Played the pc demo for a bit tonight and I can't bring myself to buy it.

Runs fine and looks nice, but I got irritated by the yapping of the sidekicks and I really don't like the combat.

I might give it another try tomorrow but I don't think FF games are for me anymore sadly.
  • ilmaestro 11 Sep 2018 16:00:44 32,924 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Get DQXI instead.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.