Following Final Fantasy XV Page 109

• dominalien 11 Sep 2018 16:10:36 8,844 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If the yapping irritates you now itíll make you throw your computer out the window after 50 hours. They constantly say the same things over and over and over and over. Biggest gripe with the game Iíve had by far.

DQXI is a good call. Iíll get to it right after Iím done with DQVIII on the PS2, which will be in about 10 years.
  • robthehermit 11 Sep 2018 16:57:26 6,931 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Jyzzy-Z I really didn't like the Xbox demo or the combat but picked up the full game when it went on sale anyway and absolutely loved it.
  • Jyzzy-Z 11 Sep 2018 22:12:00 3,495 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Maybe I'll get it then in a year or two in a sale. The demo really pissed me off to be honest. Barely recognisable as a FF game. But is understand why they've gone down that road, as much as I don't like it.
  • uiruki 11 Sep 2018 23:02:55 4,695 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Honestly, don't waste your time, just forget about it. I quite liked the demos and ended up hating the game in the end so if you aren't starting off positively then there's very little chance you'll like it. It's FF so the next one will be different; look forward to that instead.

I really like DQ11, music shit aside. Take a look at that if you're after something a bit more trad JRPG. From what I've seen of the translated version they've really put the effort in on the translation too.
  • Dombat 11 Sep 2018 23:18:07 1,430 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I recently completed it and put a review up of my experience in the recently completed thread.

https://community.eurogamer.net/post/29219/12298630

There definitely are things to like about the game but to be honest the combat never really won me over. If you don't like it after giving the demo a good go chances are you won't love it in the full game.

It's weird, for the second half of my playthrough (in terms of hours put into it) I played the game intensively and was quite hooked, but it has a lot of flawed elements and is greater than the sum of its parts.
  • Nazo 11 Sep 2018 23:24:07 850 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    It's FF so the next one will be different; look forward to that instead.
    I think FFXV has even taken that hope away. Now that SE has discovered that people are willing to tolerate buying an unfinished base game and will pay extra to have pieces of content drip-fed to them I can't see them ever going back to selling a complete game at launch.
  • Dombat 11 Sep 2018 23:34:18 1,430 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Also, the next FF will of course be different but it always tries to be progressive, especially PS2 era onwards. Don't expect FF (outside of obscure spinoffs) to return to its traditional mechanics.
  • challenge_hanukkah 12 Sep 2018 07:30:34 8,437 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've noticed this is installed in Steam and I have no memory of buying it.

Fucking alcoholism.
  • Psiloc 12 Sep 2018 13:12:54 4,842 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I hated the demo and then went on to love the full game, for what it's worth. It was a definite grower. Importantly the chatter amongst your team is less annoying when (if) you realise you like the characters.

It's flawed for sure, and a great many of the criticisms it gets are legit. Those flaws will either get you down or endear you to it. Personally I love the arse off it.
  • Jyzzy-Z 12 Sep 2018 13:13:41 3,495 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The next one won't be out for 10 years so I guess I'll have to play this at some point. Hopefully when it's a fiver.
  • Psiloc 12 Sep 2018 13:14:10 4,842 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jyzzy-Z wrote:
    Maybe I'll get it then in a year or two in a sale. The demo really pissed me off to be honest. Barely recognisable as a FF game. But is understand why they've gone down that road, as much as I don't like it.
    This would have been my review after the demo. Completely contrary to how I feel now
  • Dombat 12 Sep 2018 15:13:38 1,430 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Which demo are we all talking about here?

The Carbuncle one gives a tutorial of the combat basics but is otherwise basically a tech demo and doesn't represent the game at all really. The Duscae one is a more faithful representation of what the open world aspect of the full game is like, despite being older and when the game was still in development. The latter is more closely reflective of the bulk of the game.
  • Psiloc 12 Sep 2018 15:24:29 4,842 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We're talking about Duscae I think.

I know it's more or less representative of the final product, but for one reason or another I felt totally different about the full game than I did the demo
  • Jyzzy-Z 12 Sep 2018 16:51:36 3,495 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The pc one. You get the carbuncle tutorial then the start of the game.
  • FrostPan 5 Nov 2018 19:31:08 1,529 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So I completed the main story of this recently. A beautiful mess of a game is how I would describe it. Lots of things I like about it and others I don't.

Things I liked:

+ The battle system is pretty neat and fun. Warping never gets old
    + The main four characters are pretty cool and I've enjoyed my time with them
    + Most of the OST (a few tracks are pretty dull) are great. Hellfire track is my favourite so far. Yoko goes hard on that.
    + Game looks beautiful at times. Entering Altissia for the first time was stunning for me.
    + Hunts are a nice diversion
    + The story, despite its flaws, is solid enough
    + Taking photos throughout the journey is awesome

Things I didn't like:

- Most of the side-quests are monotonous, the usual generic mmo-like quests. Which is an issue has it covers most of the playtime for the whole game.
    - 2/3 of the games chapters fly by way too quickly. I honestly think the game should have been divided in a few acts, rather than chapters.
    - I didn't think much of the main villian I liked him at first, but got really annoyed with him as the game went on. Especially with chapter 13
    - The main story is actually short
    - Chapter 13

It's been fascinating looking up the updates and changes they have added to the game since launch. Honestly, they added a decent amount of content in terms of gameplay (such as bosses) and lore for the final act of the game. But unfortunately they are gated behind the ROYAL DLC PACK, which I actually find egregious that the devs thought it was acceptable to charge for it. The new stuff blends in with the main story well, to the point I didn't realise it was actually added in as paid DLC.

It wasn't an issue for me, as I bought the Royal Edition of the game. But it's been disheartening discussing the added content with friends who bought this game at launch, and won't be able to experience the added stuff unless they pony up more money, which they are not too enthusastic on that.

If you only got the base game, it's hard to say whether the ROYAL PACK is worth the £12 (not even included in the season pass!), even with the other neat stuff that is also included like first person view and additional dungeon. But I would say it's definitely worth seeing the added story stuff.

Currently going through the episodes now. Finished the Gladiolus one and it was pretty decent. Looking forward to the other two. Also played the Comrades multiplayer too, and unfortunately it isn't very good. Very dull stuff, disappointed!
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 5 Nov 2018 20:40:24 3,246 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My wife enjoyed the main game and bought the season pass but didn't play much of that so not sure if it was worthwhile or not. The Royal Edition DLC being pay for and not included on season pass is very dodgy of Squenix though. Not paying 12 quid for it and it has yet to go on sale. Not played it much myself though.
  • Psiloc 6 Nov 2018 02:06:28 4,842 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @FrostPan Yeah agree with that summary.

I've gone on about it too often already in this thread, but the Ignis DLC is essential
  • Humperfunk 6 Nov 2018 08:48:11 7,816 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Some event tomorrow for this, probably a load of "Season 2" DLC, urgh.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 6 Nov 2018 09:53:42 4,533 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Humperfunk Season 2 DLC has already been announced at a high level. In addition to the standard multiplayer stuff, I think there are four new DLC episodes, covering:

Episode Ardyn
    Episode Aranea
    Episode Lunafreya
    Episode Noctis

It's been suggested that the last two might be post-game and could constitute a new/alternative ending.
  • Ror 6 Nov 2018 15:26:43 17,810 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I picked up the Royal Pack when it was on sale for £8.03 (and had £5 store credit, so only paid £3.03 for it in the end). I haven't even loaded up the game in a year.

I played the base game on PS4 at launch, then bought the 'complete' edition on XBO when it got the One X update. I was planning to do an all-DLC playthrough at some point, but as above, there are still more to come /o\

Also, we do have a little detail for the new content... I'll need to look them up...

Ok. I'll spoiler these:

Episode I: Ardyn
    "The Conflict of the Sage"
    This story portrays the struggles of Ardyn. Witness the resentment he harbours towards Lucis for over 2,000 years, and his clashes with the Astrals.

Episode Side Story: Aranea
    "The Beginning of the End"
    A side-story about the Starscourge depicted from Niflheim's perspective. The final day of the Empire turns out to be Aranea's worst day.

Episode II: Lunafreya
    "The Choice of Freedom"
    The story is about Luna's fate, which not even death can free her from. Her battle to save the ones she loves overturns the destiny dealt to the Lucian King.

Episode III: Noctis
    "The Final Strike"
    Parting ways with the Astrals, Noctis embarks upon his final battle in order to attain the ideal future for all his people.

I think they also said the last one would kind of be an alternative ending sort of thing..? I think it's all being directed by Takefumi Terada, who directed Episode Ignis. I've not played that myself yet, but it seems to have been the best received of the original batch?

Did anyone ever play Comrades? I had a quick go of it and quite liked the idea, but never went back to it for whatever reason. I did like that they found a way to get Libertus into the game through it :D
  • FrostPan 6 Nov 2018 15:46:16 1,529 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Ror

Yeah, I've played Comrades as mentioned in my post. It is pretty neat in terms of setting and characters, but unfortunately the gameplay loop is really dull.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 6 Nov 2018 15:59:40 4,533 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @FrostPan That was my experience as well. So much effort into the cosmetic side, but the gameplay is just way too shallow to make it long-term as a multiplayer offering.
  • Ror 6 Nov 2018 16:55:32 17,810 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @FrostPan Huh. I read your whole post and somehow missed that part :)

My main reason for wanting to play it was to see if it offered any deeper insight into the world of ruin/Noctis' absence stuff. I think I only did the introductory bit on the way in to Lestallum.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 6 Nov 2018 19:53:14 3,246 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I must have missed the sale for the Royal DLC, at least it means it is a DLC that actually gets reduced unlike some (looking at you Squenix and the Drakengard 3 DLC...)

Neither myself or the wife particularly cared about the Comrades thing, bit of a waste in the season pass. Have to get her to play through the episodes Prompto and Ignis she paid for at some point though.
  • Nazo 8 Nov 2018 07:57:40 850 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wow, Tabata gone, most of the DLCs cancelled

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/final-fantasy-xv-tabata-resigns-square-enix-dlc-cancelled
  • Malek86 8 Nov 2018 09:02:44 7,660 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, the most recent posts in this threads haven't aged well (and it's only been a couple days).

Chances are that Squenix is back into panic mode because of the development of FF7 Remake going badly.
  • Ror 8 Nov 2018 09:20:07 17,810 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Welp. Guess I can get started on that "all-DLC" playthrough, then.
  • Malek86 8 Nov 2018 09:22:42 7,660 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wait for Episode Ardyn first. Unless they cancel that too.
  • Ror 8 Nov 2018 13:33:29 17,810 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, I might do that as it's only a few months away at this point. Having said that, it does sound like it'll be fairly standalone/prequel-y.

I have enough to be getting on with for now, anyway.
  • Ror 8 Nov 2018 20:11:36 17,810 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just in case this slipped through the cracks during the funeral service.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.