Following Final Fantasy XV Page 110

• FrostPan 8 Nov 2018 20:44:47 1,626 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Ror

I hear Sasuke's VA from Naruto in that trailer. Pretty amusing as the old Noctis designs looked lot like his character.

Shocking news with regards to Tabata. Was actually looking forward to season 2 of DLC. Not really fussed with Ardyn.

I'm actually looking forward to the FFXIV collaboration quest: https://youtu.be/pSxwvRSB-AY

I recommend playing the Terra Wars collab quest they released a few months ago. It's somewhat actually decent.
  • Ror 8 Nov 2018 21:10:30 20,096 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @FrostPan Never did watch Naruto :D

Funnily enough, Ardyn is the one I was most interested in, so I'm glad we're at least getting that. I'm also quite excited to fight Garuda in the XIV crossover too.

The Terra quest isn't a timed thing, is it? I won't get to it for quite a while.
  • FrostPan 8 Nov 2018 22:11:46 1,626 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Ror

I don't think the Terra quest is timed. Gutted that I can't play the Assassins and Chocobo quests they did back then.
  • Ror 8 Nov 2018 22:23:06 20,096 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @FrostPan Yeah, I never logged in for those, so missed them too. Apparently the Terra quest becomes available in Chapter 5. Hopefully it is still there when I decide to do my complete playthrough.
  • JoeGBallad 30 Nov 2018 18:52:40 472 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hello!

I made a stupidly long video about Final Fantasy XV and thought Iíd plug it here in case anyone is still bothered about a two year old game!

https://youtu.be/wZDDbZgGNJU
  • Ror 30 Nov 2018 20:57:26 20,096 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Someone cares!

• FrostPan 17 Feb 2019 17:22:25 1,626 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago

I'm actually surprised how much I enjoyed this. This is really well done! Ardyn is certainly a more interesting character for me now. Looking forward to the DLC now.
  • Ror 17 Feb 2019 18:11:13 20,096 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, watched it last night and quite enjoyed it. I had been meaning to do an all-dlc playthrough before Episode Ardyn, but there's no way I'm doing that by March 26th :D
  • Switch024 26 Mar 2019 12:39:04 3,746 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I see Episode Ardyn is out today. Is this the last bit of DLC?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 26 Mar 2019 12:41:37 8,695 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Switch024 Yes, All of the other planned DLC packs were cancelled.
  • Switch024 26 Mar 2019 12:49:41 3,746 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rogueywon Thanks. I abandoned this fairly early on after picking it up at launch. I wasn't warming to it but I actually stopped because I lost my save. I'm thinking of getting the Royal Edition and giving it another go.
  • chessboxer 26 Mar 2019 14:25:56 371 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What is the level cap upto now? I haven't played this since late 2017 and still have all the locked dungeons to open.
  • Steve-Perry 19 Apr 2020 19:55:19 1,313 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I've just started this. I had played the demo previously, and it didn't grab me, but I feel obliged to play it as it is the only one I haven't played in the entire main series, including the MMOs.

So far, so wtf. The car pushing intro was terrible. There's so much to learn all at once, it just dumps all the games mechanics on you in five minutes.

The story seems awful so far. 4 goths break down in a rural Oklahoma, madame jailbait is fixing the car and I'm running errands for a redneck.

What's the point in switching swords with Prince Emo? The combat is not grabbing me so far.

I have all of the DLC and I've no idea at what point you should play them. It's been 1 hour and it seems a complete dogs dinner of a game so far.

But I am going to finish it, these are just early thoughts and I'm being overly critical because that Stand By Me shit wound me up. How is any of this Final Fantasy?
  • Nazo 19 Apr 2020 20:28:12 1,328 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It doesnít get any better. If anything, it gets worse as it goes along.
  • ChiefGB 19 Apr 2020 20:34:28 12,492 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Madame jailbait 🤣🤣, yeah itís a step back from 7re for obvious reasons. I just remember it being thrashy nonsense for combat and all that camping and cooking crap 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Also if anyone thinks 7re was padded with crappy side quests that were pointless and plentiful..........take a bow.

That said Iíve not played it since a few months after
    release and I should take another look. I remember the performance was shite on pspro and used to give me a headache as well.
  • Ror 19 Apr 2020 20:48:21 20,096 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It will be very, very obvious when to do the DLC episodes. Very obvious.

Did I say obvious? It'll be obvious. Very much so.

I need to replay this actually, haven't played it since release, and there were a ton of patches and content drops afterwards, not limited to those DLC episodes (which I also haven't played). Think I'm going to get to it in the summer. It's a real mixed bag, but there was stuff I enjoyed about it.

Also, #PromptoBestBro
  • Malek86 19 Apr 2020 22:43:41 10,093 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Most of the content drops only existed to make the game easier, there isn't much new content, except from some extra stuff in the final chapter that is a chore and actually serves as an anticlimax.

And the DLC Episodes range from awful to average, you might as well not bother. Episode Ardyn was the only one that felt like it added something meaningful to the story, but its potential was cut down when the remaining DLC was canceled.

I had a lot of fun with FF15 four years ago, but this Royal Edition felt very much unnecessary if you have already played the game.
  • Steve-Perry 20 Apr 2020 11:34:09 1,313 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Ror wrote:
    It will be very, very obvious when to do the DLC episodes. Very obvious.

Did I say obvious? It'll be obvious. Very much so.

I need to replay this actually, haven't played it since release, and there were a ton of patches and content drops afterwards, not limited to those DLC episodes (which I also haven't played). Think I'm going to get to it in the summer. It's a real mixed bag, but there was stuff I enjoyed about it.

Also, #PromptoBestBro
    OK thanks. While it was installing I assumed they would be added to the main game, but then I saw the menu, which is in itself really confusing.

The carbuncle tutorial is also a complete disaster. The fact you need that to start the game shows how badly they've fucked the start of it.
  • ChiefGB 20 Apr 2020 12:01:02 12,492 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I donít remember having too much issue with the beginning, it was more when the uninspiring ďhuntĒ quests and collecting shit etc set in. That said itís a long time since I played it and I may be being overly unkind. It is in ďthe lockdown listĒ to revisit but with the headaches mentioned before (I could count the times this has happened on just a few fingers so they really must have done a poor job with the frame pacing, has this been fixed?) I canít see me downloading on Xbox to start again. So thereís no guarantee Iíll get that desperate 🤣
  • ChiefGB 20 Apr 2020 12:02:18 12,492 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone know whatís the mp like? Itís obviously never set the world on fire.
  • Steve-Perry 20 Apr 2020 12:05:04 1,313 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    The beginning is pretty overwhelming. The main menu has 300 choices, then the tutorial, which needs lore paintings to tell you what the fuck is going on, then you are dumped in the middle of a huge map with the Vengaboys and it's not explained how you skill up, why he has 4 swords, what anything does, what camping is, what's going on. It's just a state.

The older games would drip these things into you one at a time. Midgar in FF7 was basically one massive tutorial. 15 it's just "hey fuck you learn all this shit bye".
  • Malek86 20 Apr 2020 12:23:47 10,093 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It could have used some better explaining for sure. That said, if you experiment a bit, you should learn quickly. I never felt like I absolutely had to learn all the gameplay facets either... the game is fairly easy so you could also just set into your own rhythm without ever going for the best strategies.

It was a mess, but somehow still a decent mess for me.
  • Steve-Perry 20 Apr 2020 12:33:03 1,313 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Yeah I will figure it out, I just can't see the logic of it. The game says on start up "A Final Fantasy game for old players and new ones" or something. Well I can't see how you can attract new players to the 15th entry in an already intimidating genre by completely overwhelming people in the first hour.

It reminds me of when I first started FF11 and I spent about an hour just learning how to move the character around the screen. Not that bad obviously, but there's a comparable level of nonsense to go through. And FF11 had the excuse of it being 2002.

Edited by Steve-Perry at 12:34:28 20-04-2020
  • Ror 20 Apr 2020 12:55:15 20,096 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh god, I tried FFXI a few years back and it might well be the most unintuitive video game I have ever attempted to play.

RE: the FFXV MP, I did the introductory mission when it launched and it seemed like it would be good fun with a few mates. I wanted to play it because it's set in a certain period (won't say any more as I don't want to spoil Steve, even if he isn't really enjoying the game), but just had no one to play it with.

I think you can play it with bots now though, so I may go through it that way when I do my replay.

Edited by Ror at 12:55:51 20-04-2020
  • PierrePressure 20 Apr 2020 15:38:44 1,077 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Slightly off topic but FF7: Remake does hammer home what an absolute mess FF has been for a while and part of me suspects FF7 only came out the way it did due to the very solid foundations the original provided (I'm at the Shinra building and realise they could shit the bed but so far so good).

I think FFXV was just totally unremarkable, I'm now at the stage where I'd like to see a decent Western developer have a crack at it. They've tried everything else, perhaps a team with the respect for the franchise whilst also being able edit a script so the story isn't a garbled mess.
  • SolidSCB 20 Apr 2020 15:40:42 12,501 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd finish FF7R before I made a claim like that 😂
  • PierrePressure 20 Apr 2020 15:52:39 1,077 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I nearly read something earlier that I expect are highly contentious, I'll report back once I know more :p
  • ChiefGB 20 Apr 2020 16:57:48 12,492 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, ff isnít really the zenith of jrpgs anymore I guess, but at least it is trying different things. I can feel a progression from 15-7re but Iím not sure if itís headed in the perfect direction either.
  • Psiloc 20 Apr 2020 17:15:30 5,486 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I thoroughly enjoyed XV and it's become high up my favourite FF list. But one of my complaints for sure is that the combat system is too basic. There's basically different weapons for different situations, and magic = grenades, and you can warp to get out of trouble and recover some HP. That basically covers it. If you're worried that it's convoluted... you've just got the wrong impression from the tutorials.

Just also wanted to say that I thought the camping and cooking was a fantastic idea
  • Malek86 20 Apr 2020 17:26:48 10,093 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Get Ignis' Regroup skill and the upgrade to speed up the tech bar, and you'll pretty much never need a phoenix down ever again, aside from some of the strongest monsters (those damn Death-inflicting samurai are the worst) that luckily are more or less exclusive to the optional dungeons.

Everything else is pretty basic. If you are playing the Royal Edition, you should start with a Ragnarok sword in your inventory that is super strong and also remains uber useful for the entire game - if you upgrade the warp skills to the maximum, you will use it against everything, including monsters that aren't weak to sword attacks.

You'll probably also want to equip Noctis with the Stamina Badge to let him run indefinitely, just to make navigation less annoying.

Other hardcore tactics exist to make your life even easier (hoarding exp with the Nixperience Band to use it all up in expensive hotels, farming specific monsters, etc.) but they are not required if all you want is to get through the story.

Edited by Malek86 at 17:31:13 20-04-2020

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.