Following Final Fantasy XV Page 111

• SolidSCB 20 Apr 2020 17:52:54 12,501 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The world was brilliant. Sure, there are an awful lot of cookie cutter hunt sidequests, but there were also the royal arms to collect. There were a lot of genuinely interesting locations and dungeons for the sidequests, so as samey as they got, you'd at least always be going somewhere decent to explore (rather than, for example, them all being dumped in a crappy VR arena with the least of effort)

The cooking and camping were really good ideas. The combat was a bit shit but it was their first crack at it so fair enough for trying something different.

It's another case of wasted potential though. The last portion of the game was nothing short of a fucking joke. It always seemed to me like they had this really powerful ending in mind and had no fucking idea how to get there, so we ended up with the cobbled together mess we got. It genuinely could have been the most iconic FF moment ever if they had bothered to flesh out the characters, or the story, or the history of the world they created. Or, well, anything really.
  • Ror 20 Apr 2020 18:01:36 20,096 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really like the bones of the story in XV, but it's so shoddily told that it becomes a bit hard to care. It's a shame, because what's there could be really good. Especially the main villain - obviously I won't say any more there, but there was massive potential there.
  • SolidSCB 20 Apr 2020 18:08:57 12,501 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Me too. They just don't know how to make good, functional games in a reasonable timeframe anymore so there's always something that suffers. Usually it's the story being an incoherent mess sloppily patched over what they have actually managed to make on time.
  • ChiefGB 20 Apr 2020 18:23:30 12,492 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah all this talk has peaked my interest in revisiting, I didnít hate all of it but my frustrations are the things that have stuck with me. As I said Iíve always felt it needed another look from myself.

Iíve popped it in and Iím at 26hrs and on chapter 3, Iím so plenty left to see and I admired the open world but it felt stretched thin with a lot of travelling for not much reward.

I am however my own worst enemy in these games as my ocd pulls me all over the place at times instead of mainlining through.
  • Ror 20 Apr 2020 18:26:28 20,096 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh I don't hate it at all, I quite like it. It's just a bit of a mess.
  • Steve-Perry 21 Apr 2020 12:21:36 1,313 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    So I played another hour last night. I enjoyed it a bit more and I hate the characters a fraction less. There's one guy who looks like cloud who needs a kick in the fucking throat though.

I have some noob questions.

What's the point in cooking? It levels you up? Why don't I just sit and eat for 2 hours and become super powered?

Hotels give you exp? Eh?

Why is there a costume for each character in my inventory which makes them look like poundshop power rangers?

Why can't I drive the car in manual any more?

Why does he have 4 swords? Do you get any benefit from swapping them in combat?
  • Malek86 21 Apr 2020 12:41:27 10,093 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Steve-Perry wrote:
    So I played another hour last night. I enjoyed it a bit more and I hate the characters a fraction less. There's one guy who looks like cloud who needs a kick in the fucking throat though.

I have some noob questions.

What's the point in cooking? It levels you up? Why don't I just sit and eat for 2 hours and become super powered?
    Ok, so what happens is that, you know all the exp you have accrued by fighting, completing quests, etc? It doesn't get tallied until you rest. When you go to sleep, the exp is tallied and you gain levels, hopefully.

Also, if you rest at a camp, Ignis will cook a recipeh. This gives you some stat bonuses that will last for a time.

You usually need ingredients to cook, which you can find in the field. But one of the updates added a pizza recipe that can be made for free and gives you a good stats boost. Overall, if you can't be arsed to get food material around, it's a great fallback (original game only had some crappy toast or riceballs otherwise, and your characters will complain about the meager dinner the next day if you actually chose it).

Hotels give you exp? Eh?
    So, you want to stay at a paid rest point. You don't get Ignis' cooking bonus, but you'll get a multiplier to your current exp tally. When you are more interested in leveling up quickly rather than getting the stat bonus from Ignis, you should consider this.

More expensive hotels have higher multipliers.

Why is there a costume for each character in my inventory which makes them look like poundshop power rangers?
    That was added in a free update... it makes you invincible for a time. Again, lots of stuff was added in updates to make the game easier, even though it was already easy enough if you ask me.

Why can't I drive the car in manual any more?
    I0m not sure, I think it depends on the story? After a while Ignis will say that he's now satisfied with Noctis' strength and will agree to let him drive. What you did before was just a test drive so to speak, I think.

Then again, I never bothered with driving. Always let Ignis do it.

Why does he have 4 swords? Do you get any benefit from swapping them in combat?
    Some enemies are weaker to specific weapons. If you set the game on Wait mode, you can scan the enemies and see what they are weak to.
  • Psiloc 21 Apr 2020 12:41:51 5,486 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    1. Cooking uses ingredients and recipehs you have found to buff your characters for the next day.
    2. Hotels BOOST the XP you have gathered throughout the day by the specified amount (1.2x - 3x). Camping on the other hand confers no XP bonus but allows the aforementioned cooking. If you don't rest, you don't level up. Your XP just counts up ready for you to rest.
    3. They were a DLC bonus. If you got the Royal Edition they would be included. And yes they look shit.
    4. I think this is a story event. Keep playing and you'll be able to drive manual. To be honest I always used auto.
    5. He's royalty, and apparently this is something they can do. It's just an explanation for why you can switch between several weapons on the fly, which is important for targeting enemy weaknesses. You want to try another weapon if the HP numbers are popping up in blue. I think orange indicates you're hitting their weakness, and white is normal.
  • Steve-Perry 21 Apr 2020 12:43:45 1,313 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    OK cheers, that all makes sense apart from wait mode, I've not seen that but I will google it.

Cheers! I want to play it for a few hours tonight so hopefully after that all the core stuff will click.
  • Ror 21 Apr 2020 12:46:31 20,096 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cooking confers buffs for the next day, so it's always worth doing. The more you level it up, the wider the array of dishes Ignis can make, and the more useful buffs you can attain.

Hotels multiply the XP you have gained - they will tell you the multiplier on the screen. A decent early-game thing to do would be grind for a few days (don't rest at a camp at night), and then stay at the hotel in Galdin Quay for the XP multiplier.

The poundshop Power Ranger armour was added post-release. It actually looked more like a Power Ranger before they redesigned it.

The game is really weird about letting you control the car in the first few hours, not sure why they did that.

It's been a while, but I think different enemies are weak to specific weapons? And each weapon will have specific use-cases as well, like, iirc, the greatsword being more useful in a crowd. But again, I haven't played since release, so I might be a bit fuzzy on that.

Edited by Ror at 12:49:43 21-04-2020
  • Ror 21 Apr 2020 12:46:55 20,096 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh, I should have refreshed.
  • Steve-Perry 21 Apr 2020 12:48:10 1,313 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    One other question actually, should I watch that Kinksbraver movie they did? I feel I have a grasp of the basic plot from listening to the radio a bit.

Someone said in here it helps make sense of the story better.
  • Steve-Perry 21 Apr 2020 12:48:40 1,313 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Ror wrote:
    Oh, I should have refreshed.
    All appreciated. Thanks guys. I just thought I would ask here rather than read 100 menus in the game.
  • Psiloc 21 Apr 2020 12:48:52 5,486 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anyone else want to answer him
  • Psiloc 21 Apr 2020 12:52:41 5,486 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Steve-Perry wrote:
    One other question actually, should I watch that Kinksbraver movie they did? I feel I have a grasp of the basic plot from listening to the radio a bit.

Someone said in here it helps make sense of the story better.
    Kingsglaive? Meh. It's OK and helps fill in some lore, but it's not essential. It was more essential at launch before they patched in more cutscenes and stuff. It does still have content that should have been in the game though, and certainly increases the stakes against the empire
  • Ror 21 Apr 2020 12:54:03 20,096 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kingsglaive is... it's worth watching for how fucking pretty it is, but it'll just make you wish that they actually put that stuff in the game. Watch it if you can do so for free.
  • Malek86 21 Apr 2020 13:01:23 10,093 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A few pointers just in case:

1) You aren't limited to resting at night, despite what Prompto's bitching would want you to believe. You can rest whenever you want. You can also rest, and then rest again immediately after, if you so choose. Or you can go days without resting. It's your choice, just remember that you don't level up until you sleep, and any exp multiplier can only be had in hotels.

2) Resting will immediately advance to 6am of the next day, regardless of when you go to sleep. Rest at 7am? You are effectively sleeping for 23 hours. Don't wanna hear no complaints from Gladio about this.

3) After the updates, you can also use camps to simply fast forward the time to 6am or 6pm, without actually resting (and thus keeping your exp stash intact). This is useful because some quests can only be done at night. And some others only during the day. This is much better than the original game, where this option was not available. How many nights spent just running around, waiting for the sun to come up. Prompto must have hated my guts.

4) Also after the updates, if you want to do some power leveling, there's no need to go coffee-heavy anymore... there's now the Nyxperience Band, that lets you rest without tallying your exp. It also means you can now enjoy Ignis' recipehs without wasting your exp stash. Wait until you have 500.000 exp and then go spend your funds at the most expensive hotel around!

5) Remember though, that when a "chapter" ends, your exp will be tallied automatically, and usually with no multiplier. Unfortunately there's no way to know when a chapter is going to end, short of checking a guide. You could always just have the Nyx Band equipped at all times, except for when you want to actually level up... but of course, doing so will take an accessory slot.

Well, admittedly it's a lot to take in at first.

Edited by Malek86 at 13:10:48 21-04-2020
  • Psiloc 21 Apr 2020 13:15:39 5,486 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TBF it's not at all hard to get to grips with if you just play a while. Do some hunts or side quests while you get the hang of it.
  • Steve-Perry 21 Apr 2020 13:24:44 1,313 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @Psiloc That's what I did last night to be fair, just to see how combat works. I killed the lvl 14 flan hunt but it took ages, i think I am underlevelled for it.

I'm going to do the same tonight, just soak it all in before moving on with the story. I only just got the car back so I'm right at the very start about 1 quest in.
  • Malek86 21 Apr 2020 13:25:36 10,093 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    One final thing worth mentioning: for the most part, you aren't actually bound to your dialogue choices.

This is how things usually went for me:

Gladio: when are we going to Lestallum?
    Me: alright, let's go there now

*five hours of sidequests follow*

Gladio: are we going to Lestallum or not?
    Me: sure
    Gladio: you mean it this time?
    Me: yeah, for real

*eight hours of sidequests follow*
  • Steve-Perry 21 Apr 2020 13:27:15 1,313 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Cheers all, very much appreciated.
  • Steve-Perry 21 Apr 2020 18:01:35 1,313 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Waiting for a boat and some random cutscene just started that looked like a youtube rip of that movie.

Felt completely out of place and totally random.

Sick cameo from FF7's ultima weapon though. Makes me want to watch that film.
  • Ror 21 Apr 2020 21:07:55 20,096 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, they were glued in after reviews, but before release.

There is some nice FF fan service in the fan, and as I said, it's worth watching for how good it looks.
  • Steve-Perry 21 Apr 2020 21:42:09 1,313 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I've done the first dungeon, it was a bit uninspired but I'm having fun with the game. I still don't get combat. I put it on wait, there's now all these pauses. Feel like I should be doing something at times, then other times I feel like the ai is doing it all.

I'm up to speed with a lot of the other stuff though

Edited by Steve-Perry at 21:42:33 21-04-2020
  • JoeGBallad 22 Apr 2020 09:12:20 472 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    For all its quirks it's probably my favourite FF, and it's one of my most played games in recent years. Stick with it if it has intrigued you at all, because there are so many unique little design choices peppered throughout the game; it'll genuinely feel like nothing you've played in a long time.
  • JoeGBallad 22 Apr 2020 09:12:21 472 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    For all its quirks it's probably my favourite FF, and it's one of my most played games in recent years. Stick with it if it has intrigued you at all, because there are so many unique little design choices peppered throughout the game; it'll genuinely feel like nothing you've played in a long time.
  • Steve-Perry 22 Apr 2020 09:42:11 1,313 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I am at about 4 hours and it is enjoyable now. I am going to go through all the combat tutorials tonight because fights don't seem to flow at all for me. I always get a D for Finesse. I get hit a lot too so I'm obviously not doing something right.

Took out an iron giant, then a red one spawned and nearly killed me.

Is it actually possible to die? Despite being crap at it, I have been taking out enemies 20 levels above me. Iron giant was 30 and I was 11.
  • Steve-Perry 22 Apr 2020 09:47:43 1,313 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I also took all your advice and saved up about 7000 exp then slept at the fancy hotel by the beach, went up about 10 levels in one hit!

It's definitely growing on me. I'm actually looking forward to jumping on later.
  • Psiloc 22 Apr 2020 09:51:44 5,486 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You shouldn't really give two shits about the grade at the end of battle, but it sounds like you might not be dodge rolling enough.

The game doesn't really want you to be fighting the iron giants yet, certainly not the red ones. The fact you're defeating them so early is actually quite impressive, but I dunno if you should be putting yourself through the bother. You should still be sleeping through the nights to avoid the demons
  • Psiloc 22 Apr 2020 09:53:25 5,486 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Steve-Perry wrote:
    I also took all your advice and saved up about 7000 exp then slept at the fancy hotel by the beach, went up about 10 levels in one hit!

It's definitely growing on me. I'm actually looking forward to jumping on later.
    Yep this is a pretty advanced early doors tactic to level up quickly. I'd say be careful you don't overlevel though and make the game too easy, but its up to you

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.