Following Final Fantasy XV Page 112

Next Last
  • Steve-Perry 22 Apr 2020 09:55:19 1,313 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I took on the red one but he was one shotting Noctis so did a runner.

The first one, I fire bombed his ass and it was a close call, but managed to down him. That was before I power levelled at the hotel, so I image next time I'm going to fuck him up real good.

There was also a bit with a giant bird that flew off, fucking hell, the visuals are something else. Running at 120 fps on High graphics, it's absolutely stunning.

I will do the tutorials. I think I'm missing some fundamentals. Fighting feels very stacatto where it seems the game wants you to get into some sort of flow. I don't really know what is going on half the fight.

I'll try not to overlevel, I know that can make bosses and such too easy as with the other FF games.

Edited by Steve-Perry at 09:56:22 22-04-2020
  • Psiloc 22 Apr 2020 09:57:34 5,486 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    One thing I'd say to make yourself enjoy the game a bit more. Do all sidequests when they become available. The game has serious pacing issues and you'll fly through the story way too fast if you don't stop and spend lots of time in the world and make yourself get to know it. Jumping ahead a bit but the Altissia section of the game for example makes up about three super short main quests and it feels wrong to spend so little time there. Do the hunts.
  • Steve-Perry 22 Apr 2020 10:00:37 1,313 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Yeah I've done pretty much every hunt that is around my level.

Done a few quests for that Dave bloke, and a few for the journalist by the ferry port.

Also done a few for Cid for some weapon upgrades.

Also fixed someone car by the side of the road.

I got to a point where some of the quests started to show up on places where I can't yet access, so did the story dungeon.

I tend to potter around in games like this (reminds me of Horizon in certain aspects) so no trouble there. I won't rush through.
  • Velios 23 Apr 2020 03:49:25 190 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    So pissed off at this game, I bought into the original hype, played it and rapidly lost interest - the world just felt so disjointed and generic (look at the way NPC's are dressed?! its like they dropped in from the Sims)

Such a disappointment, I usually finish FF games but this was a severe letdown. I'm much more enjoying 7 Remake though.
  • Steve-Perry 23 Apr 2020 10:42:48 1,313 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I'm enjoying it now. Feels like what 13 should have been.

Large map like gran pulse but with things to do.
  • Malek86 23 Apr 2020 11:35:04 10,093 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I just wish the things to do weren't always the same.

But I love the way the world has been designed, even if it's somewhat samey, there's still a lot of personality to it.
  • Steve-Perry 23 Apr 2020 12:22:45 1,313 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    All open world games are like that to me.

I get bored or whatever they fill it with.

It's very similar to horizon so far in terms of the map.

Getting used to the combat. Have to say it's pretty weak and not much fun so far. Maybe when I level up more it'll be more fun to fight.

Edited by Steve-Perry at 12:22:59 23-04-2020
  • Steve-Perry 28 Apr 2020 08:40:08 1,313 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I'm enjoying this now. It's really good to just explore the map, the characters are pretty bland but I don't hate them so much anymore.

The combat is awful though. There are no tactics, magic is absolutely stupid (have to craft it and equip it every time? No), its really shallow, the AI dudes just seem to stand around half the time doing nothing. It's just the naturally extrapolation of the Advent Children flippy around style they've been gagging to get in a game since that movie came out.

I'd go as far to say it's the worst combat in the entire main series.

Apart from that I think it's a very good game. I'm at about chapter 7. I think I'm way overlevelled as I have been absorbed by side quests and just running around the map, but the main story is pretty unengaging anyway so I'm not that arsed about steamrolling it.

It doesn't run very well on my PC. I have a very high end system and I get frame drops and stuttering all the time despite trying tons of different settings. No other game gives me any issues at all.
  • IRWATWO 28 Apr 2020 08:53:19 702 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    I've just started this on Game Pass. Only played VII and X previously. Haven't got very far yet, but intrigued as to why they dropped the gradually gather your party throughout the game thing, in favour of, it seems, starting straight away with 4 complete wankers.
  • Steve-Perry 28 Apr 2020 08:55:46 1,313 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Haha. I fucking hated them all for the first few hours, you do warm to them slightly.

The blonde cloud looking guy though, I really hope he gets flayed, hung, drawn and quartered at some point. He's such an absolute bell end. Token wise cracking dick head gaming character.

He's the 'in the distance, a dog barked' of gaming character writing.

ITS PICTURE TIME

Edited by Steve-Perry at 08:57:32 28-04-2020
  • Malek86 28 Apr 2020 11:45:15 10,093 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The story gets better later on. Not the plot itself, that never makes any sense until the end, but the story somehow manages to be good, so to speak. Although, if you are playing the Royal Edition, the last chapter is actually worse than it used to be.

As for performance, unfortunately the game does run quite badly. Guess Squenix didn't really want to bother making a good conversion of an engine that they weren't going to use again (they switched to UE4 for their other games). In the end, I just set the framerate to 30fps. That's how it would play on console anyway.

Edited by Malek86 at 11:49:40 28-04-2020
  • Steve-Perry 28 Apr 2020 13:25:57 1,313 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I'm running at 120fps and it's absolutely fine for the most part. It just randomly stutters all the time. Mostly in battle. Turning things down does nothing. I've ran it at ultra low and ultra high, it still happens.

I'm not playing it at 30 fps. I'd rather not play it at all.
  • Steve-Perry 28 Apr 2020 14:30:38 1,313 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Wow, when you actually crack on with the story, it's so short. Laughably short. Some 'chapters' are like 'talk to 2 npcs".

The story has just gone completely off the deep end. This 10 years later thing is monumentally stupid and completely out of the blue. And they don't even explain it. It just drops you at town with da ladz and they all look pretty much the same and don't really care that a whole decade has passed. Ridiculous story.

Edited by Steve-Perry at 14:33:53 28-04-2020
  • Nazo 28 Apr 2020 14:40:46 1,328 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I quite enjoyed the first bit of the game. The open world is nicely realized and while the the side-quests are mostly cookie-cutter rubbish they at least get you travelling about a bit. Fuck those find-things-inside-the-circle quests though.
    Once the game moves on past that though I found it went downhill pretty rapidly.
  • Steve-Perry 28 Apr 2020 14:47:51 1,313 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I'm really in the 'I just want it to be over' stage now. Everything since Lev has been an absolute chore on par with FF13. It's really soured the game for me.

I suppose I should be thankfully it's short. It's ridiculous that you're on chapter 7-8 then about 2 hours later you've nearly finished the game.

The pacing is a complete mess and there's obviously not enough content for the main plot. Dogs dinner. Even this windows edition feels like half a game. Am I fuck doing the DLC.

Edited by Steve-Perry at 14:48:28 28-04-2020
  • Steve-Perry 28 Apr 2020 17:11:21 1,313 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Utterly awful final third to the game. I'd give it 8/10 for all the open world stuff. The rest of it, 4/10. Just crap.

Completely flawed and could have really been something special this. What a shame.

The story from top to bottom is absolute arse dribble. I have no idea who the bad guy was, why he was bad. Things just randomly happen. I should play to DLC to fill in some of the blanks but I really cannot face it.

SE were right to sack a few people for this. They should sack themselves.

I don't think I've played a game that went so quickly downhill ever.

6/10 on average.
  • SolidSCB 28 Apr 2020 17:21:13 12,501 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I especially liked when you get to Bad Guy City and they are all zombies because of course they are and fuck you for wondering why, and you then have to hide in alcoves for three quarters of an hour. Also here's this ring, enjoy trudging around trying to kill stuff with this piece of crap for this portion of the game.

Oh, here's some guy and he's a zombie too and it's supposed to be a big deal because he's.... Important. We never told you why he's important or how any of this happened. Also your team mate is a clone. Lol psyche.
  • Steve-Perry 28 Apr 2020 17:29:01 1,313 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    They must have found that entire section on some DVDs they had lying around with marker pen on them saying "too crap even for FF13". It was so bad.

You can see from my posts I was really, really warming to it. Then I thought I should probably soldier on with the main story because I was doing a lot of side quests and everything was getting easy. Big mistake.
  • SolidSCB 28 Apr 2020 17:35:28 12,501 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's a lot to like in that open world. It's just a shame the storyline is like a very small piece of shit, a rabbit dropping if you will, that they've tried to grind into powder and sprinkle conservatively over the entire thing.
  • Steve-Perry 28 Apr 2020 17:44:13 1,313 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I don't see why they didn't expand some of the more interesting side quests into MSQ content to fill the game up a bit. And the really linear ending of the game, why not place some of those sections earlier on to spread things out? I appreciate most FF games have an endgame dungeon that locks you in for a good few hours, but this one didn't feel earned.

The story and combat are the two weakest elements imo.

There are random pre rendered cutscenes shoved in with no background music, like a complete amateur has done it. There are in engine cutscenes where the characters just walk around gesticulating but nothing is happening. Barely anything makes sense after a certain point in the story.

Combat is completely dull and half baked. Warp here, slap away for a few minutes, do a team up thingy, repeat. There is no tactical element to the combat at all. You just twat things in the face. I didn't die once in the entire game.

I honestly think that might be my Final Final Fantasy. I'm just going to look for smaller budget turn based RPGs because I really can't be arsed with this. I've got I am Setsuna up next I think.

Edited by Steve-Perry at 17:48:06 28-04-2020
  • Malek86 28 Apr 2020 17:52:27 10,093 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The DLCs really don't fill any blanks in the story, at least nothing worth seeing. You might as well skip them.

Edited by Malek86 at 17:53:02 28-04-2020
  • SolidSCB 28 Apr 2020 17:54:11 12,501 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If anything, I'd go for the Royal Arms. They take you to some pretty decent dungeons.

Forgetting it ever happened is also a decent option.
  • Steve-Perry 28 Apr 2020 17:58:50 1,313 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I don't think I'll be playing it again to be honest. I just wanted to experience it as I've left it for years. I don't regret it, it was worth the money for the open world bits.

I would say I hope they could at least learn their lesson from what looks like some car crash project management and development but FF7R doesn't fill me with confidence.
  • SolidSCB 28 Apr 2020 18:09:35 12,501 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    To be fair to FF7R, it knows what it is. It once again gets finishing line fever and shits the bed at the end like every FF in recent memory, but at least this time it's more a matter of opinion rather than an unfinished bare faced fact.
  • Steve-Perry 28 Apr 2020 18:15:08 1,313 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Well I don't think I will be playing that either given what I've read about the story at the end of the game. I have to just acknowledge I only really like Sakaguchi FF. Everything since he left has been largely poor for me.
  • Steve-Perry 25 Jun 2020 16:05:24 1,313 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Stuttering fixed on PC apparently. 2 years after they've collected everyones money for it. Very kind.

https://wccftech.com/final-fantasy-xv-update-1-30-stutter/
  • Fonzie 26 Jun 2020 12:52:54 3,400 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I loved FFXV when it came out. It's only the second game I've platinumed alongside Bloodborne. I had it pretty much at launch though and haven't touched it since. Is any of the DLC worth a look?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 26 Jun 2020 13:10:23 8,695 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Fonzie Not really. The Royal Edition stuff adds a few cutscenes and expands some of the end-game stuff, but it's arguable whether it's an improvement (I found it a slight improvement, but others disagree).

The Episodes are just self-contained side stories that fill in some of the blanks where your party members are absent. It sounds as though the final couple of planned ones might have been more interesting, but work on them was scrapped and the project shut down.
  • Steve-Perry 26 Jun 2020 15:17:36 1,313 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I've still not got the enthusiasm to go back and finish the DLC. Just not that arsed about the solo adventures of no eyes, twink and PTSD.

Edited by Steve-Perry at 15:17:49 26-06-2020
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.