Following Final Fantasy XV Page 3

• Widge Moderator 1 Sep 2008 06:46:23 13,858 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    all good stuff for me! Versus becoming a futuristic, manga-ish traditional RPG? Sounds like FF7 to my ears.
  • Scimarad 1 Sep 2008 07:12:51 9,502 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'd definitely agree with JMMs point 2 on FFXII. Especially when it comes to the espers. As for Versus, I was under the impression it was going to be a bit like Kingdom Hearts - Which sounded absolutely wonderful! I hope they haven't turned it into a traditional RPG.
  • Scimarad 27 May 2009 07:41:19 9,502 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I wish someone would confirm if you can fly around in airships or not...
  • Ged42 27 May 2009 11:37:03 7,985 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    I wish someone would confirm if you can fly around in airships or not...

Its a Final Fantsy game... there's always at least one airship.
  • Scimarad 27 May 2009 20:47:19 9,502 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, but there were a few hints that we may actually get to fly the bloody things again. Hopefully that wasn't just a tech demo.
  • Scimarad 29 May 2009 07:53:04 9,502 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    In a possibly connected comment, there a report on MagicBox that mentioned that the development team were 'tweaking the upper world map', whatever that means. I wonder if that was supposed to be overworld map?
  • Bigglesworth 30 May 2009 12:54:30 368 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There's definitely lots of fan speculation that an overworld map will feature to some large degree. If I recall, it originates from some photos taken of a whiteboard in the developers offices!
  • Deleted user 30 May 2009 13:31:42
    I hope there is an overworld map, I hated the system in 12.
  • Deleted user 30 May 2009 14:09:51
    Yeah, it was really disappointing to not get the chance to pilot an airship around the map at some point in FFXII - I spent most of the game expecting it and it was only towards the end that it dawned on me it wasn't going to happen. Shame because the sense of it being one coherent world was really strong, and I really wanted a chance to explore it from the air. That said it would've probably been a fairly significant technical challenge so I can see why they didn't.

Also worth noting that 'overworld' could just refer to some sort of dual-layer environment with an underworld and overworld part. I seem to remember some of the rumours about the environment shown in the FFXIII trailers suggesting that it was a city much like Midgar in FFVII with high tech, moneyed areas floating above slums where the poor live. Versus is set in the same world so it's possible it's a similar thing.
  • Bigglesworth 8 Jun 2009 12:33:19 368 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nekotcha wrote:
    Versus is set in the same world so it's possible it's a similar thing.

Actually no, it isn't - unless I've missed some recent news to the contrary? It appears it shares little with the main game except its name and the overarching Final Fantasy mythos of Crystals of power.

If Versus didn't look so accomplished, I'd say they were hiding a new IP under a familiar name, but I don't really see why Square would feel the need to do that.

(I seem to be necromancing my way through the contents of the forum graveyard today... not intentional, sorry!)
  • Widge Moderator 8 Jun 2009 12:35:36 13,858 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Do Sony tend to announce stuff at TGS? Wondering if this would get an outing there, whenever it is.
  • HiddenAway 8 Jun 2009 12:45:35 15,147 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    Do Sony tend to announce stuff at TGS? Wondering if this would get an outing there, whenever it is.

Yes. I believe that Nintendo never go to TGS though for some bizarre reason. I think Sony had the only keynote last year at TGS (or was that the Germany show?)
  • Widge Moderator 22 Dec 2009 20:54:31 13,858 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I want to see this trailer!

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/12/20/ffxiii_versus_trailer/

and more blurb:

New interview with Nomura on Famitsu:

Versus XIII:
    - The in game graphics have been upgraded, so much so that there is no real difference between the CGI (prerendered video) and the graphics in game.
    - More detailed information regarding the development of Agito XIII and Versus XIII to come in early 2010.
    - This is a dark Final Fantasy as everyone expected (FF7/8 fans rejoice).
    Nomura confirms steady development on another title, which is not a new IP, but hasn't confirmed what it is, although it may be Kingdom Hearts 3.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/12/22/tetsuya_nomura_projects/

Tetsuya Nomura Has Two New Projects in the Works
    Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep is speeding toward its January 9 release date. Time for the kingdom heart himself, producer Tetsuya Nomura, to take a break? No way! The Square Enix big shot appears to be as busy as ever, as two new titles have taken the empty slot left by Birth by Sleep.

Nomura made first mention of these two mystery titles in an interview in this week's Famitsu.

"There's a title that's yet to be shown that's progressing faster than expected," he said of one of the games. He wouldn't say if this game is actually new or not, but he did offer, "Development is progressing smoothly. Voice recording has started."

Regarding the other title, he simply said, "It's not totally new, but there's one more more unannounced title. Please look forward to the announcement."

Based off Nomura's choice of words in his comments, it seems that followers may be able to come up with some guesses about these two particular titles.
  • Pedrolot 22 Dec 2009 21:06:18 1,952 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This is the one im looking forward to!
  • freakzilla 23 Dec 2009 01:02:04 69 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Who wants to bet that versus won't be PS3 exclusive?
  • Blerk Moderator 23 Dec 2009 08:45:41 48,222 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I dunno, they've said several times since they announced XIII was going to be on the 360 that Versus would remain on the PS3. Then again, XIII was exclusive "until it wasn't" too. But I'm kind of thinking Versus might well stay where it is. If it ever actually comes out.
  • Pedrolot 23 Dec 2009 09:09:29 1,952 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Im not sure.....I hope it is though..!
  • M_of_the_sys 23 Dec 2009 09:38:07 1,156 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    freakzilla wrote:

Perhaps they'll see how well it sells on the PS3 before deciding whether it's worth porting over.
  • WinterSnowblind 23 Dec 2009 11:32:40 1,267 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    freakzilla wrote:

I think it's going to depend on the 360 sales of XIII. Having that sell fantastically on the Xbox, and then not releasing the next game, even if it's not really connected to the same story would be a huge middle finger to the fanbase.

I doubt Square will want to risk that.

But I'm not sure I follow this game, I don't understand why it's so disconnected from XIII, when it has XIII in the title, and perhaps it's just that one trailer they've shown so far, but what we've seen really didn't impress me. If it weren't for the opening title, I wouldn't have known it was a FF game.

Agito looks to be the most interesting in the XIII series, in my opinion.
  • Widge Moderator 23 Dec 2009 12:15:45 13,858 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well its got the name Final Fantasy and XIII in the title. I reckon they could happily shunt 1.5m out in Japan!

I reckon this trailer everyone has been seeing will be stuck out for general consumption at E3.

It would be nice to see what a Final Fantasy looks like with a dedicated engine for the platform as opposed to a multiplatform engine.
  • Blerk Moderator 23 Dec 2009 12:25:28 48,222 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    ?

Versus uses Crystal Tools the same as vanilla FFXIII, doesn't it?

Edit: Yes it does. So it's still on a multiplatform engine.
  • Deleted user 23 December 2009 13:44:55
    I thought they both ran on the "White Engine"
  • Deleted user 23 December 2009 13:51:47
    One of the unannounced games could be a new Dissidia (which has been hinted at).
  • HiddenAway 23 Dec 2009 13:53:27 15,147 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cid wrote:
    One of the unannounced games could be a new Dissidia (which has been hinted at).

I don't know if I could take much more :S
  • Blerk Moderator 23 Dec 2009 13:53:32 48,222 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Eddy-the-Ed wrote:
    I thought they both ran on the "White Engine"
    Crystal Tools is the new name for the White Engine.

Edit: Well, not that new, tbh. It's been called that for ages now.
  • Widge Moderator 23 Dec 2009 14:27:04 13,858 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah right, I had it in my head that without having to go multiplatform, they could tailor something to the machine a bit more.
  • WinterSnowblind 23 Dec 2009 15:12:41 1,267 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cid wrote:

I would LOVE this, especially a console version.
    And Beatrix needs to be playable.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.