Assassin's Creed

First Previous
  • tingletanglebob 1 Oct 2006 12:55:31 330 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    How does this work out when the ps3s the more expensive machine

We've suspected Assassin's Creed was coming to Xbox 360 ever since its E3 unveiling, but only recently did Ubisoft disclose the poorly-kept secret to the world. What's even strange is that the Xbox 360 version will actually sport better crowd artificial intelligence, according to a report on IGN.
    "While the PlayStation 3 and 360 versions of Assassin's Creed are virtually identical, Raymond did say that on the 360 the team is putting a special emphasis on achievements. The hardware also allows for improved threading, which will improve even further the crowd AI," the impressions read.

We doubt this will have much of an impact on the actual gameplay (it's only the crowd AI and doesn't effect how combat works or influence enemy AI), but an interesting note, considering how many speculate PlayStation 3 will eventually be superior due to the Blu-ray drive.
  • silentbob 1 Oct 2006 12:59:20 29,510 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    tingletanglebob wrote:
    We doubt this will have much of an impact on the actual gameplay (it's only the crowd AI and doesn't effect how combat works or influence enemy AI), but an interesting note, considering how many speculate PlayStation 3 will eventually be superior due to the Blu-ray drive.
    The two are mutually exclusive though. Better threading capability = better AI for the 360 but more storage = larger amounts of game data for PS3.

Either way - anyone who thinks the PS3 will be a superior 'games' machines overall because of trhe Blu-Ray drive is a moron.

Edited by silentbob at 12:59:36 01-10-2006
  • spindizzy 1 Oct 2006 13:04:55 7,755 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    I thought the PS3 had an ever so slightly superior PSU and GPU?

Yeah, me too (though don't you mean CPU and not PSU?) Can someone technically minded explain what the 360 has that the PS3 doesn't?
  • silentbob 1 Oct 2006 13:05:58 29,510 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    ..superior PSU ...
    OFFICIAL! PS3 SHIPS WITH 900WATT POWER SUPPLY! SONY WIN T3H NEXT GEN!

;)
  • Dirtbox 1 Oct 2006 13:08:07 91,175 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 1 October 2006 13:13:49
    I thought the PS3 had slightly better GPU and the 360 had slightly more CPU oomph under most circumstances.
  • BartonFink 1 Oct 2006 13:13:51 35,267 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    tingletanglebob wrote:
    The two are mutually exclusive though. Better threading capability = better AI for the 360 but more storage = larger amounts of game data for PS3.

Either way - anyone who thinks the PS3 will be a superior 'games' machines overall because of trhe Blu-Ray drive is a moron.

Oh there are quite a few of those around check out the comments section if you dare.
  • Deleted user 1 October 2006 13:28:19
    Please cite your sources.
  • afray 1 Oct 2006 13:28:36 2,248 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's difficult to directly compare the power of the two consoles because their architectures are so different. It's not just a straight MHz comparison, or X number of cores vs Y number of cores.

Right now the 360 architecture is more understood, as it is more traditional. This should mean 360 games are (slightly) easier to program for, hence the ability to fit another AI thread on it. In a few years, once the nooks and crannies of the PS3 are thoughly explored, we may see that start to pull ahead slightly in performance stakes. But it'll never be as pronounced as the XBox/PS2 split, or maybe even XBox/GC.

Disclaimer: Although I'm not directly working on either platform now, my company and collegues are.
  • BartonFink 1 Oct 2006 13:51:26 35,267 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    tingletanglebob wrote:
    We doubt this will have much of an impact on the actual gameplay (it's only the crowd AI and doesn't effect how combat works or influence enemy AI)
    This I really don't get. Everything we have seen and been told about this so far has the crowd as a central part of the whole game mechanic. Blending in making yourself virtually invisible to enemies etc. So how won't have much impact on gameplay?
  • matrim83 1 Oct 2006 14:00:13 5,696 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    It does 1 billion plipperflops per squillasecond!!!!!!!!

*As benchmarked at Sony's fantasy dreamworld laboratories.

Edited by Dirtbox at 13:13:32 01-10-2006

Damn n00bs! Cant even spell squilliseconds.
  • Xerx3s 1 Oct 2006 14:00:19 23,955 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    This has more to do with the design behind the CPU than what it can do. 360 is aimed at GP while the ps3 is aimed at FP. GP = better with stuff like AI than FP.

Although I seriously doubt that you will notice any difference. Like affray said, there are many other factor that influence things like this. Let's just wait and see how things turn out eh? Speculation on things like this are pointless.

silentbob wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    ..superior PSU ...
    OFFICIAL! PS3 SHIPS WITH 900WATT POWER SUPPLY! SONY WIN T3H NEXT GEN!

;)

lol.
  • SlackMaster 1 Oct 2006 15:04:01 3,156 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I was watching the x06 conference today and the Assassins Creed in game demo really got me excited as so far I've only seen the FMV that was doing the rounds.

I think that the crowds do play a big part in the game as they help you to conceal yourself, can alert guards if you act suspicious and when you've make the kill and the crowd is in disarray they can knock you over if you're not careful making your escape.

Edited by SlackMaster at 15:05:07 01-10-2006
  • mitsuo 1 Oct 2006 15:46:21 152 posts
    Registered 13 years ago
    From what I read the 360 version's going to feature better climbing mechanics, too, with rumble being an intrinsic part of knowing whether you've caught a hand/foothold right. Can't do that on the PS3 but I suppose they could instigate a tilt system
  • SlackMaster 1 Oct 2006 15:52:33 3,156 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    One thing from the demo that didn't look so good was the long pause and inactivity from the guards when the assassin made the kill... also the way the guards chasing seemed all over the place when the portcullis closed and the assassin ran back into them... The guards just seemd to walk about and bump into things until the assassin pulled his sword to attack and only then did they act to attack.

It kinda showed the enemy AI up a bit but hopefully this will be sorted before the game is released next year.

Edited by SlackMaster at 15:54:00 01-10-2006
  • ronuds 2 Oct 2006 15:58:59 21,781 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    It does 1 billion plipperflops per squillasecond!!!!!!!!

*As benchmarked at Sony's fantasy dreamworld laboratories.

Edited by Dirtbox at 13:13:32 01-10-2006

That's one of the funniest things I've read in a long time.
  • pjmaybe 2 Oct 2006 16:01:06 70,666 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'd actually have shitloads of respect for "The Head" Harrison if he stood up and actually said something like that, and followed it with "And Microsoft are all doodooheads!"

Peej
  • TwistidChimp 2 Oct 2006 16:13:33 8,825 posts
    Seen 12 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    mitsuo wrote:
    From what I read the 360 version's going to feature better climbing mechanics, too, with rumble being an intrinsic part of knowing whether you've caught a hand/foothold right. Can't do that on the PS3 but I suppose they could instigate a tilt system

hehe,

would you like a cup of tea?

/turns away from tv

/Altair plumets to his death

doh

Edited by TwistidChimp at 16:13:47 02-10-2006
  • strangeed 2 Oct 2006 16:20:12 637 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    TwistidChimp wrote:
    mitsuo wrote:

hehe,

would you like a cup of tea?

/turns away from tv

/Altair plumets to his death

doh

Edited by TwistidChimp at 16:13:47 02-10-2006

lol

This is one of the games that might get me to actually buy a next gen console.

I hope you're right with it being old code, the AI did seem a bit slow and unresponsive.
  • Tiger_Walts 2 Oct 2006 16:26:27 16,674 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Don't worry, PS3 will be getting Oblivion, which according to some press buff...

"One game worth getting the PS3 for."

Made me laugh did that.

So the X360 excels in doing lots of things at once, the PS3 is awesome at doing single things really well.

Photoshop for PS3 then?
  • Retroid Moderator 2 Oct 2006 16:27:19 45,463 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Xerx3s wrote:
    This has more to do with the design behind the CPU than what it can do. 360 is aimed at GP while the ps3 is aimed at FP. GP = better with stuff like AI than FP.
    I've always wanted a console whose power is based on Gold Pieces! \o/

/+50GP
  • silentbob 2 Oct 2006 17:26:13 29,510 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    dravenclarke wrote:
    You know, Its proberly just down to the fact that the 360 has been out for a year already and dev's are getting used to coding on it.. wheres the ps3 hasnt been released yet and they are still working on 1st gen games.
    Or in fact down to the fact the 360 is intrinsically better at multi threading in comparison to the PS3. In fact like they said in the first post. Duh! :)
  • tiddles 2 Oct 2006 17:31:09 3,555 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The crowd in the 360 version will be thinking ever so slightly deeper thoughts than those on the PS3.
  • KiUNiT 2 Oct 2006 20:03:11 5 posts
    Registered 13 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:

The GPU in the PS3 is weak (gforce 7600 eq) so it needs the Cell to help with graphics rendering, thus having less power to do AI. While the GPU in the 360 is a beast (better than ATI 1900xt) that can not even be bought yet, so the 6 threads of the xenos CPU can run game code freely. just sayin

Link to info http://www.motherboardpoint.com/t88052-medal-of-honor-airborne-for-ps3-to-be-severely-downgradedbligmerk-eats-fuck.html

Edited by KiUNiT at 20:34:36 02-10-2006
  • Deleted user 2 October 2006 20:09:28
    KiUNiT wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:

The GPU in the PS3 is weak (gforce 7600 eq) so it needs the Cell to help with graphics rendering, thus having less power to do AI. While the GPU in the 360 is a beast (better than ATI 1900xt) that can not even be bought yet, so the 6 threads of the xenos CPU can run game code freely. just sayin

Just sayin'...a load of things that aren't true. I'd take the comment about the differences between the versions of Assassin's Creed with a large pinch of salt, you don't usually differentiate versions via such a fundamental and potentially game-breaking approach. Extra characters/levels maybe, different AI? Unlikely.

And yeah, all that stuff about the two consoles is pretty much twaddle.
  • Pirotic Moderator 2 Oct 2006 20:12:37 20,642 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    nekotcha wrote:
    KiUNiT wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:

Just sayin'...a load of things that aren't true. I'd take the comment about the differences between the versions of Assassin's Creed with a large pinch of salt, you don't usually differentiate versions via such a fundamental and potentially game-breaking approach. Extra characters/levels maybe, different AI? Unlikely.

And yeah, all that stuff about the two consoles is pretty much twaddle.

Yup - It's probably just some lod setting for the distance at which the AI tones down its movement/animation/collision math. I doubt the xbox360 version will play any differently.
  • Gori 2 Oct 2006 20:15:55 525 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    KiUNiT wrote:

Did your mother tell you this?
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.