Education is flawed

• Deleted user 12 November 2006 21:08:52
    I was thinking about why I do so many stupid things and say so many stupid things when I realised that a person that has received the level of education I have should never be this stupid.

Education should be about teaching the average person how to think logically and creativly, however sometimes logic and creativity dont mix well.

I often wonder why im so stupid, perhaps it's because im nuts, perhaps its because I haven't received a well balanced education or perhaps im just stupid.

Anyway, what im saying is that education is a flawed tool to judge someone on. We need better indicators, companies need better indicators as to what kind of person they are hiring or if the person is worth hiring.

Instead at the moment we have education followed by a bunch of dumb arse assesment centres that you can be coached to pass.

I cant think of a solution....like I said, im stupid, can you?

Edit: stupid gramtical mistakes.

Edited by mcmonkeyplc at 21:20:18 12-11-2006
  • Carlo 12 Nov 2006 21:12:34 20,589 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Education assumes the person wants to learn.

That is it's biggest mistake. That, and automatic graduation to the next year irrespective of ability. Hold back those who should retake the year because they failed to 'graduate' from it. Allow people to opt out of school completely (but also forego ANY wellfare).
  • phAge 12 Nov 2006 21:17:01 25,487 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Not an answer as such, but one thing I have noticed at uni is that many (95%) of my co-students are afraid to use their common sense, logic and own judgement. Instead, they use the theories we learn and the texts we read, like cookie-cutter solutions for problems/cases, resulting in their work becoming boring, devoid of creativity, and just plain... bad.

Of course, we go to uni to learn stuff we didn't know before, but IMO the most valuable tool one can have - whatever the class/course - is faith in ones own ideas, and the balls to do things your OWN way (in combination with the theories taught in class, of course).

So, er, no - I don't know the solution. :)
  • Deleted user 12 November 2006 21:17:43
    Carlo wrote:

That is it's biggest mistake. That, and automatic graduation to the next year irrespective of ability. Hold back those who should retake the year because they failed to 'graduate' from it. Allow people to opt out of school completely (but also forego ANY wellfare).

Forego ANY welfare?

That seems overly punishing, i'd say gradually reduce welfare to a bare minmum until the person finds or is forced to find a profession.

If these people dont have education as an indicator of the type of person they are, what else is there?
  • ScoutTech 12 Nov 2006 22:22:20 2,428 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think I like the solution I heard from someone in a random interview, harry Enfield or someone like that. After 14 education is optionl but you get 'credits' for that amount of education you haven't used. That way those that want ot carry on learning can do withou the people that don't and those that don't can do something practical and start paing tax, apprenticship[s and the like. Once they have found what they want to do they can use the credits to get free education up to what they would have got. This allowes for those that weren't sure what they wanted to do rather than bum around in college nad UNi and find they are still stumped and have no practical skills.

@pHage: I think the problem there is the way education os taught generally. They generally want you to apply the things you are taught or show they way you can apply things and this means using the techniques you have been given. Frustrated the hell out of me when doing Psych that we always had to use others work and could never put across your own view on something. We were even told it was because we were not imporant enough to have a view as we were only students! Doing computing it used to frustrate me as wwe were old to do X using Y when if you used something else it would be so much easier or knowing that out in the big wide world you would never try and do that in that way!!The prolem then is that outside people seem to get stuck in this way of thinking and that leads to many bad things!!

Education bad, in other words. ;)

Edited by ScoutTech at 22:22:41 12-11-2006
  • generica 12 Nov 2006 22:23:05 4,279 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Benjok 12 Nov 2006 22:30:36 586 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Carlo wrote:

Yes, it's a well established fact that girls mature a lot earlier than boys. But if someone is held back a year (mainly boys incidentally) there is a hell of a lot of stigma.
  • Deleted user 12 November 2006 22:46:16
    Benjok wrote:
    Carlo wrote:

Yes, it's a well established fact that girls mature a lot earlier than boys. But if someone is held back a year (mainly boys incidentally) there is a hell of a lot of stigma.
    This "girls mature earlier" is so flawed...

Edit: typo

Edited by ZeroToHero at 22:55:21 12-11-2006
  • Dirtbox 12 Nov 2006 22:47:52 91,187 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Benjok 12 Nov 2006 22:59:05 586 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Educations great, it's the best years of your life and when it's over you're fucked.

I fucking hated highschool, and was not interested in learning. Only in my recently was I passionately interested in stuff. I suppose we are all different, or in other words everyone who doesn't agree with me is nuts.

Edited by Benjok at 23:07:57 12-11-2006
  • Dirtbox 12 Nov 2006 23:00:16 91,187 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Benjok 12 Nov 2006 23:04:29 586 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Dirtbox 12 Nov 2006 23:05:17 91,187 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Benjok 12 Nov 2006 23:07:28 586 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Post deleted
  • ZacharyKhan 19 Mar 2019 12:12:40 1 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    I agree that education has disadvantages. Currently, teenagers use the Internet, where they can find a lot of different information. Also, they can communicate with other students who can help them with their assignments. But one of the common problems is teachers who have no motivation to learn. They have a small salary and very hard work. Therefore, many of them work in various other jobs. One of my teachers is a writer. He works at https://writingpeak.co.uk/custom-essay-writing, where he writes custom essays for students. Of course, some of his students buy his work)

Edited by ZacharyKhan at 14:15:27 01-04-2019
  • neilka 19 Mar 2019 12:15:13 22,658 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Could you PM me some further details?
  • Deleted user 19 March 2019 12:18:55
    Currently, teenagers use the Internet, where they can find a lot of different information.
    Groundbreaking information. Any other useful insights?
  • Thiery_Salem 20 Mar 2019 16:49:51 31 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    People are stupid, but this has nothing to do with the education

Humanity created computers, smartphones and capable of not only curing, but preventing some of the most dreadful diseases. And yet, every human does at least one thing in a day that could be classified as stupid.

I think this is just a part of human nature. No matter how hard we try to be the best version of ourselves, will always be, to some extent, in some aspects, stupid. We will always do/say some dumb shit, we will continue misplacing our car keys and loosing them again and again.

So, the only choice we have is to accept that we're imperfect and continue improvising ourselves nonetheless.
  • captain-Snufkin 20 Mar 2019 22:04:25 829 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I'm not quite such a misanthrope.

Education would have been fine with me ten years later when I was actually interested in it.

Education is fucked generally because children are complete psychopathic cunts. Imagine before it, and before the tawattery of the industrial revolution - children would be drawn to where they wanted to go.

Now they pool them altogether and wonder why bullying is a thing.
  • HelloNo 20 Mar 2019 22:13:44 2,126 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Did a bot really dig into the archives to put out one post? Impressive
  • FWB 20 Mar 2019 23:30:07 56,179 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Subtle.
  • zamboni 22 Mar 2019 10:05:46 55 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    the way they teach kids to add up (partitioning - i had to youtube it) is shocking.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 22 Mar 2019 10:20:21 1,847 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thiery_Salem wrote:
    improvising
    Apposite. Humans do often come across like they're making up that whole being human thing as they go.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.