Play-Asia - import Duty?

  • angeltreats 28 Nov 2006 13:37:44 2,601 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If I order a Famicom Micro off Play-Asia, what's the chances of me getting stung for import tax if I use non-courier delivery?

    Anyone ordered stuff from them and not had to pay up?
  • username 28 Nov 2006 13:40:06 848 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Imposter!
  • presh 28 Nov 2006 13:42:18 1,221 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Yes - I got caught for duty on a PSP from them.

    If you are using normal post, it's a bit of a lottery whether you get hit by customs. I'd say that for all my eBay purchases over the years customs gets less than 10% of packages.

    Good luck :-)
  • yegon 28 Nov 2006 13:48:00 6,511 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Coincidentally, I got stung for the first time from Play Asia today. Ordered FEAR for a mate over 3 weeks ago, came today, 7.73 tax. Still a saving over the high street though.

    It's weird, I've bought 6+ other 360 games from them previously and never been stung once.

    Edited by yegon at 13:48:29 28-11-2006
  • freddymercurystwin 28 Nov 2006 13:53:40 2,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've bought from them, never been stung.
  • angeltreats 5 Dec 2006 11:47:20 2,601 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It arrived today. It's absolutely gorgeous. And no import duty to pay \o/
  • asphaltcowboy 5 Dec 2006 12:57:43 5,157 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    angeltreats wrote:
    It arrived today. It's absolutely gorgeous. And no import duty to pay \o/
    Wouldn't be too sure! Duty letter often arrives weeks after the goods!
  • PhoenixFlames 28 Jan 2008 19:42:11 9,263 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sorry to bump a very old thread, but it has the right title and is in the right section so no use creating a new thread.

    I would appreciate anyones recent experiences on this, especially for larger more expensive items.

    You may have seen from another thread, I am particularly interested in a GP2X.
  • Aretak 28 Jan 2008 20:13:50 10,391 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Sorry to bump a very old thread, but it has the right title and is in the right section so no use creating a new thread.

    I would appreciate anyones recent experiences on this, especially for larger more expensive items.

    You may have seen from another thread, I am particularly interested in a GP2X.
    If you e-mail them and ask, they'll mark things down to half value for you. They won't do anything more than that though, so for more expensive items you'll still be looking at a charge.

    /edit/ Oh, and they won't accept any responsibility for anything lost in the post if they mark it down.
  • PhoenixFlames 28 Jan 2008 20:16:31 9,263 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    If you e-mail them and ask, they'll mark things down to half value for you. They won't do anything more than that though, so for more expensive items you'll still be looking at a charge.

    /edit/ Oh, and they won't accept any responsibility for anything lost in the post if they mark it down.

    So I will only charged tax at half the value? That's good. Do you send them an email after you have paid?

    Also, how does the tax get charged, straight off the card you paid with?
  • Aretak 28 Jan 2008 20:21:19 10,391 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Aretak wrote:
    If you e-mail them and ask, they'll mark things down to half value for you. They won't do anything more than that though, so for more expensive items you'll still be looking at a charge.

    /edit/ Oh, and they won't accept any responsibility for anything lost in the post if they mark it down.
    So I will only charged tax at half the value? That's good. Do you send them an email after you have paid?

    Also, how does the tax get charged, straight off the card you paid with?
    E-mail them beforehand, and they'll put a note on your account to mark all future orders down. You'll pay the import duty at your local sorting office. The RM will stick a card through the door saying they couldn't deliver it due to there being a charge to pay. You'll pay an 8 handling fee, plus 17.5% of the value marked on the package, plus 2.5% on the total of those two.
  • PhoenixFlames 28 Jan 2008 20:25:17 9,263 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    E-mail them beforehand, and they'll put a note on your account to mark all future orders down. You'll pay the import duty at your local sorting office. The RM will stick a card through the door saying they couldn't deliver it due to there being a charge to pay. You'll pay an 8 handling fee, plus 17.5% of the value marked on the package, plus 2.5% on the total of those two.

    But only if you get 'stopped' right? It is possible not to pay any at all?
  • Aretak 28 Jan 2008 20:31:55 10,391 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Aretak wrote:
    E-mail them beforehand, and they'll put a note on your account to mark all future orders down. You'll pay the import duty at your local sorting office. The RM will stick a card through the door saying they couldn't deliver it due to there being a charge to pay. You'll pay an 8 handling fee, plus 17.5% of the value marked on the package, plus 2.5% on the total of those two.
    But only if you get 'stopped' right? It is possible not to pay any at all?
    Yeah, it's possible it may slip through the net. 95% of the time you'll be charged though, so don't go into a purchase thinking you won't have to pay.
  • ilmaestro 29 Jan 2008 01:01:35 32,932 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I actually pay the extra for courier shipping in instances like this - okay, you won't avoid customs but it only works out to about 10-15 more expensive most of the time (as the handling fee is slightly lower), you get the thing quicker, and, most importantly, the cunts at the Royal Mail don't get sniffing around it beforehand.
  • johnlenham 29 Jan 2008 02:03:37 4,000 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Funny as ive orded bike parts from the US (at one point it was well over 300's worth of stuff in a huge box) and the senders marked it as a pair of shoes for 20 and it got through fine even though it blatently wasnt, i think its very much luck of the draw.

    Could allways ask if they would mark it as a gift, its free up to a certain value then.
  • ilmaestro 29 Jan 2008 02:08:15 32,932 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The thing that they have is they may well have been spoken to by HMRC if they've had previous instances of blatent price mark-downerage and would be in some serious schtuck if they got caught doing it.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 31 Jan 2008 18:51:55 4,428 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    I actually pay the extra for courier shipping in instances like this - okay, you won't avoid customs but it only works out to about 10-15 more expensive most of the time (as the handling fee is slightly lower), you get the thing quicker, and, most importantly, the cunts at the Royal Mail don't get sniffing around it beforehand.

    The last time I made the mistake of using a fast shipping from Play-Asia (as it was the same price as the slow one) I gor totally ripped off by customs, to the amount of about 45 (inc handling charge, which IIRC was about 20).

    One of the only other 2 times I can remember being customs-charged was also an EMS type option, therefore I always use the cheapest box (as opposed to jiffy bag) option with Play-Asia and haven't been hit on that one yet (with many orders over the years).

    All of this is without asking for price-markdown.

    I just wish there was a way we could actually arrange to pay the customs ourself on something we know is gonna get nabbed, therefore avoiding the ripoff handling charges. I still think it sounds legally dubious that a company can pay the charges on your behalf without permission and charge you a fortune for the pleasure... Surely them grassing you up to customs and you getting asked for the VAT only would make much more sense (and I'd resent paying the VAT less...)

    Really annoying as there's a couple of quite pricy games I want from ebay US (50+) but that usually requires EMS style shipping, and I know I'll get raped by customs charges (and the handling fee), and sadly I know of no way to avoid it other than shipping items to a friend in the US and risking it being sent uninsured by them (but avoiding fees).

    Any sensible suggestions are welcome :)
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.