Replaying Final Fantasy VII Page 2

• TwistidChimp 1 Dec 2006 20:57:22 8,825 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    Furbs wrote:
    And as always, I should add my "I hate JRPG's" disclaimer. FFVII is just an "event" game for me though, one of those where you can be proud to say you were there when it first came out.
    Don't be silly Furbs, FF is a niche series if ever I saw one.

/possibly not everyone will get that

hehe

/feels proud to get an in-joke for once.
  • Timmy 2 Dec 2006 00:07:43 9,169 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    York wrote:
    COLLECT ALL THE TISSUES.

from the battle arena right!?

why?
  • Timmy 2 Dec 2006 13:50:12 9,169 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    RM2KMaster wrote:
    Timmy wrote:
    York wrote:
    COLLECT ALL THE TISSUES.

from the battle arena right!?

why?

Because it gives you Clouds level 5 limit break....

You're taking the mickey right?
  • ave 2 Dec 2006 19:46:20 526 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Furbs what emulator did you use on the xbox, and did you need a special version of FF7?
  • sailesh 10 Dec 2006 20:06:58 626 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    just watched Advent Children for the very first time tonight (twas cheap and i've always wanted to watch it!). Found it kind of confusing in story but the action was amazing and quite gripping!

Seeing it made me bid (and i 'won') for FF VII to play on my trusty PS2. I did play the start of it back when it came out for the PS, but I was young and had only rented it. I recall the characters going 'oh yea!' during the film and it has re-ignited the want to play this game. So - paid £17 (I know, I got ripped!) but - I'm going to try play this babeh and get the total understanding done!

oooooh yays!
  • Furbs 14 Jun 2007 22:45:51 45,735 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Started playing this a few weeks ago via the PSX emulator on the Xbox. Brilliant brilliant game. So pleased to see it still holds up today. Even more impressed it seems almost perfect on the MS box. Although I havent met a big boss or huge fight yet so not sure if it'll slow down. I have a feeling the summoned monsters might kill it.
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    TwistidChimp wrote:
    how far in are you ?
    Good question! I've forgotten :p IIRC I'm about to attack a second reactor, but my mind is a total blank!

Trouble is, its one of those games you really can only enjoy in 4 hour bursts (or longer) so i dont get much of a chance these days.
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Heheheh tell me about it :p

I wish I didnt have any other games at all. If I was "forced" in to playing just this one I'd be happier than a pig in mud. And as always, I should add my "I hate JRPG's" disclaimer. FFVII is just an "event" game for me though, one of those where you can be proud to say you were there when it first came out.

Oh and by the way if anyones interested, I've run it on PSX (I think thats its name) on the PC using an XP2400, Radeon 9700 and after some tweaking it looks sweet as hell with all the antialaising. Pain in the arse to get working, but it looks even better than the native Win9x version Square released.

Only issue I have is a bug meant I couldnt always see who I was targeting, hence my switch to the Xbox version. Might just have been drivers though.
  • Deleted user 14 July 2007 14:33:20
    Just finished this after almost ten years of trying.

Go me!
  • Laserbream 14 Jul 2007 15:54:40 535 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Zack - was he the bloke Tifa thinks you are despite having different hair styles and hair colours? Also different features.

...Tifa was a bit slow wasn't she?
  • Hughes. 14 Jul 2007 18:11:48 2,812 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Laserbream wrote:
    Zack - was he the bloke Tifa thinks you are despite having different hair styles and hair colours? Also different features.

Nice mamms though.
  • GloatingSwine 22 Dec 2008 23:44:48 3,787 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Laserbream wrote:

If you got bashed in the face with your own tits every time you stopped suddenly, you'd have eyesight problems too.
  • Psiloc 7 Jan 2019 21:41:59 4,947 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anybody else tried the beacause fan translation? There's now a PS1 version if like me that's more your thing.

It's really, really quite good. So much nuance and colour to the script was lost in the translation and it's great to see the characters fully fleshed out for the first time. The story also happens to make a lot more sense, more than once I've gone "oh, so thats what the fuck was going on".

There's even a few noticeable bug fixes. Most notably the magic defence bug has been fixed, but there's also a few enemy formations and even a few whole cutscenes that due to glitches would never load in the original.

I really recommend giving it a look if you're a fan.
  • Jyzzy-Z 7 Jan 2019 21:45:03 3,744 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Got a link?
  • drhickman1983 7 Jan 2019 21:59:49 5,653 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    is there a version that works with the Steam version? I could google myself but lazy...

I overcame my laziness. Seems there is.

Might give it a go, though I've played it a ton previously so might find the retranslation odd, even if it's more correct.

Edited by drhickman1983 at 22:03:58 07-01-2019
  • Lukus 7 Jan 2019 22:15:16 21,559 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's been a long time since I've played it, but isn't the shitty translation part of the charm?

I probably consider it my favourite game of all time so part of me is scared of replaying it again in case it's really shit this time around.
  • drhickman1983 7 Jan 2019 22:18:00 5,653 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I replayed it most recently acouple of years ago and still really loved it.
  • Lukus 7 Jan 2019 23:46:46 21,559 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Woooo! I think it must be at least 6 or 7 years now since my last playthrough. Might need to dig out the PS1...
  • elstoof 7 Jan 2019 23:50:45 22,181 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Went back into it about 3 or 4 years ago, it’s really grindy but nostalgia carries you through and the experience holds up better than any other FF. I just couldn’t be arsed doing it “properly” with breeding for KOTR and the limits like I did ages 15
  • Psiloc 8 Jan 2019 00:03:33 4,947 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Jyzzy-Z https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=19709.0

Patching process is incredibly easy
  • Psiloc 8 Jan 2019 00:23:41 4,947 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm also in the played it to death camp. It's my favourite game of all time, in fact my original copy is framed in the game room. I'd actually not long finished a play through before discovering this. But so far it's a resounding success, they've done a really professional job.

If you got thoughts of some stupid re-interpretation by an over-eager 15 year old, it's really nothing like that. It's the game we would have got if Square had translated it well at the time. Same plot and the same characters having the same conversations, just translated in a much more thoughtful way.

Though that being said, Barret stands out as coming off as way more likeable.

Kotaku have been doing a great YouTube series called Found in Translation that's all about FFVII's shoddy translation. I can recommend that anyway as it goes - it's a bi-lingual American guy discussing the game as he plays through it - but I bring it up because without realising it he corroborates a lot of the stuff that's in this patch.

Anyway if you're a fan of the game I'd give it a go. At the very least its an interesting new flavour for your next play through.

Edited by Psiloc at 00:25:39 08-01-2019
  • ZuluHero 8 Jan 2019 00:44:31 6,927 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Psiloc it's the only ps1 game I kept, don't even have a ps1 anymore!

How did you frame it out of interest, sounds like a perfect way to honour my favourite RPG of all time. Got any pics?
  • Psiloc 8 Jan 2019 09:34:21 4,947 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Heh, it wouldn't work for everybody - my copy was basically in bits as a result of being handled for about 20 years, including by a then-10 year old. Literally used velcro to attach it to the back of the frame; which is really more of a small glass case. It only works because I'm happy displaying it warts an' all.

I've got another NTSC copy of the game for when I actually want to play it.

I got the idea when I saw a smashed Jimi Hendrix guitar displayed in glass somewhere.
  • Jyzzy-Z 8 Jan 2019 09:34:47 3,744 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    @Jyzzy-Z https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=19709.0

Patching process is incredibly easy
    ta!
  • DangerousDave_87 8 Jan 2019 11:43:37 5,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The patch sounds rather interesting, but I'm holding out for the Switch version. Portable FFVII sounds like my cup of tea! RPGs work so well on Switch.
  • drhickman1983 8 Jan 2019 11:48:22 5,653 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll probably get the switch version. Would be the third time I've bought it after the original and Steam version.

Even the steam version had some translation errors corrected, I was disappointed that "this guy are sick" had been fixed...
  • the_milkybar_kid 8 Jan 2019 11:56:12 7,822 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah I've been watching a few retrospectives of Final Fantasies, just to get a recap of the stories and there's a lot in there that I missed, think I'll bite on the Switch version this year. I wonder why they didn't get FF8? Loved that game.
  • robthehermit 8 Jan 2019 11:58:51 7,089 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'll probably pick this an IX up when they hit Xbone. Has there been anymore news about that since the announcement last year?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.