Replaying Final Fantasy VII Page 3

• Psiloc 8 Jan 2019 12:18:17 4,947 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Laserbream wrote:
    Zack - was he the bloke Tifa thinks you are despite having different hair styles and hair colours? Also different features.

...Tifa was a bit slow wasn't she?
    Incidentally... reply is 12 years too late, but this isn't at all what happens.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Jan 2019 12:56:34 4,902 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh this is tempting.

The original translation is a hilarious little piece of history. Put your hand up if you ever wiped to the first boss because you took Barrett's "Attack while it's tail's up" statement as an instruction rather than a warning.
  • Psiloc 8 Jan 2019 15:42:32 4,947 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    o/
  • ejayem 8 Jan 2019 15:44:54 133 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rogueywon Not quite, but on first playthrough 11-year-old me saw a cool sounding item called a Phoenix Down and went on to use it on the boss :/
  • Psiloc 8 Jan 2019 15:47:52 4,947 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also, remember this little doozy? Cloud and Aerith are running around Wall Market gathering things for Cloud's disguise, and come across the Honeybee Manor, which is ostensibly a brothel.

Beacause translation
    Cloud: There's something in here vital for cross dressing, I know it!
    Aerith: Hmm, sure. THAT'S what you have in mind...

Original Translation
    Cloud: Hmm... so that's how you'll fool them.
    Aerith: Hmmmmm... so that's how you fooled them.
  • Malek86 8 Jan 2019 15:58:27 8,044 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FF7 isn't even the worst in the series. The original release of FF4 was pretty terrible all around. Mostly because Square itself translated it in-house.
  • Psiloc 8 Jan 2019 16:05:16 4,947 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Malek86 Interestingly, FFVII was translated by Sony as part of the publishing agreement. They probably thought they could do a better job, but they gave the job to one guy, with an obscenely short deadline. I think Square took the translation jobs on themselves again with VIII onwards.

I've actually just got the buggy on my current beacause playthrough. Remember the Corel Prison stuff with Dyne? There's a conversation the group have with Barret. The original goes something like:

Tifa: Barret, weren't you going to save the planet?
    Barret: Shit Tifa, you ought to know by now!
    Tifa: That's OK, I'm not so different from you.
    Aerith: That's just what you are. It's you, Barret.
    Cloud: So that's that then.

What?

In beacause, Tifa is suspecting that Barret isn't doing all of this to save the planet. Because of his apparent anguish over being back in Corel and dealing with seeing Dyne again. He confirms in no uncertain terms he's really on the journey because he wants revenge and to be forgiven by Dyne and the people of Corel. Tifa consoles him, and hints she's also here for personal reasons (she's really worried about what's going on with Cloud). Then Aerith comforts Barret, and tells him not to beat himself up, it's just who he is.

See what I mean? A confusing, almost gibberish scene turned into crucial and colourful character development. Extrapolate this kind of improvement over the course of the game. That's the kind of thing the patch brings to the table.

Edited by Psiloc at 16:21:41 08-01-2019
  • Malek86 8 Jan 2019 16:17:18 8,044 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, at least Sephiroth wasn't going to knock everyone down.

If that's true about the super tight deadline and single-staffed translation, I'd say that, given the amount of lines in FF7, they probably did an acceptable job for the time.
  • Psiloc 8 Jan 2019 16:19:08 4,947 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    According to the translators, there's a similar amount of text as Return of the King.
  • dominalien 8 Jan 2019 16:21:53 8,954 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    All this talk made me dig out my PSOne. It had broken video output for a while, but I suspected it had something to do with the mod chip and I was right! It must have moved and touched the metal shield which shorted a couple of pins because I opened it up and made sure itís not touching anything and it works just fine. Unfortunately, I havenít been able to locate FFVII or any other PS1 game I know I have. Must be in another box :-(
  • Ror 8 Jan 2019 16:24:06 18,022 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @robthehermit Current thinking seems to be that FFXII might release next month, but beyond that, nobody knows. I don't know why they couldn't just give people a roadmap, these aren't new games that they need to tease for months.

Also, I thought I'd link this while I'm here. I came across it a few years back - some guy writing lengthy, entertaining retrospectives for all the games (up to XIII), complete with a nifty little FF-style menu (for which you'll probably need to enable Flash). I especially enjoy his summary of the FFVIII writing process and think it might be spot on.
  • Psiloc 8 Jan 2019 16:25:51 4,947 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm surprised your chipped PS1 is still working. Did you just use it for imports or did you throw CD-Rs at it?

It's rare to find a mod-chipped PS1 these days because the lasers all burnt out from struggling to read CD-Rs.
  • Malek86 8 Jan 2019 16:26:13 8,044 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If I were to replay this game, I'd probably use the PSP.

However, I'm already lagging behind on my FF Origins playthrough.
  • the_milkybar_kid 8 Jan 2019 16:30:55 7,822 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Rogueywon Ha, every time.
  • dominalien 8 Jan 2019 16:33:37 8,954 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I used it for imports, I donít think I played any pirated games. I got it for FFIX in 2001, played a few other games like Fear Effect and Koufelka, but it was already PS2 time when I got it so I quickly moved over to that.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Jan 2019 16:36:21 4,902 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    From my recollection, the absolute worst bits of the original FF7 translation are clustered at the start of the game, in the Midgar section. There are a few howlers later in the game, but the Midgar bits are the ropiest.

I'm sure I remember reading years ago that the Midgar section was rushed through translation for an E3 demo or similar, but can't find the article again now. Maybe I imagined it.
  • Psiloc 8 Jan 2019 16:40:49 4,947 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    By the way, here's one more cool thing. Did you know Cloud has a catchphrase? I'll bet you didn't, because it was translated in different ways every time it popped up, when it should have been the same recurring phrase. And there's a callback to it in Advent Children, and Kingdom Hearts, and it even makes an appearance in the FFVII Remake trailer, but the reference would go right over your head if you'd only played the Western release.
  • Ror 8 Jan 2019 16:47:54 18,022 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Are you trying to tell me it's not "let's mosey."
  • Ror 8 Jan 2019 16:48:16 18,022 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Because it should be.
  • Psiloc 8 Jan 2019 19:10:29 4,947 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's "are you havin' a laff?!"
  • Psiloc 8 Jan 2019 19:20:08 4,947 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    In reality it's very in character and not really a game changer. You know all those I don't cares, whatevers, not my problems etc.? They should all be the same catchphrase - "I'm not interested". The original translation missed the repetition.

If you watch Advent Children he says that line and it's meant to be a "he said his catchphrase!" moment. Same goes for the remake gameplay trailer.

Bit of trivia for you.
  • Ror 8 Jan 2019 19:30:02 18,022 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Now that you mention it, I remember that in AC. It's when he meets with Rufus, Reno and Rude.
  • Graxlar_v3 8 Jan 2019 19:35:26 4,782 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I thought cloud (solider edition) complete bio was ĎI am not interestedí

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 19:35:48 08-01-2019
  • Ror 8 Jan 2019 19:40:09 18,022 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cloud Strife: Male. Age 21. Blue Eyes. Not interested.
  • Psiloc 8 Jan 2019 21:01:38 4,947 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah like I say it's not a game changer. But I for one had no idea he had a whole catchphrase. It even extends to most dialogue options, where there will be some affirmative answer, or "not interested".

I think it's played to the extreme as a joke, probably to take the edge off for people who think he's a dick
  • drhickman1983 8 Jan 2019 23:13:11 5,653 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To be honest, even if the catchphrase was lost on me on Advent Children because of the translation, fuck Advent Children. I don't recognise any of the "compilation" as it's all fucking wanky.

Edited by drhickman1983 at 23:13:21 08-01-2019
  • Psiloc 9 Jan 2019 00:30:32 4,947 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You're not wrong. AC Complete was marginally better though
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Jan 2019 00:42:06 4,902 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Advent Children was a fantastic visual spectacle, a modest story and something that fucked up Square-Enix for the next decade.

Its battle sequences were beautifully animated, with those wonderful, hyper-kinetic aerial battles. Square-Enix spent the next decade trying to recreate them in-game and, by degrees, sacrificing gameplay depth to do so. The closest they got to replicating it in a way where gameplay still survived was Kingdom Hearts 2, with its extensive aerial combos. But that wasn't enough and eventually we hit the depths of Final Fantasy XIII, where any depth to the combat system was sacrificed for flashy, fluid visuals.
  • Psiloc 9 Jan 2019 00:43:49 4,947 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really could have done without the bit where they all take turns to throw Cloud into the air to defeat Bahamut
  • drhickman1983 9 Jan 2019 06:47:42 5,653 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just don't think it's necessary, I quite liked the open nature of the games end and picking it up with some geo-stigma pointlessness was just... meh.

It also made Cloud more emo than he was in the game.

Cloud wasn't that much of an emo in game (well, unless he was in the original translation, but hopefully not), whilst he was initially distant he often showed some sarcasm and wit, but in AC he was far too moody, like they'd confused him with Squall.

Though granted, it looked nice.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.