• Graxlar_v3 9 Jan 2019 07:04:28 4,783 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I liked Advent Children.

Itís what I expected it to be.
  • elstoof 9 Jan 2019 08:17:19 22,181 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They let the apex emo Nomura reshape the character in his own image, unfortunately
  • Jyzzy-Z 9 Jan 2019 09:10:26 3,744 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Advent Children was complete toss. The whole premise of Sephiroth coming back undermines the game.

Fan fiction level nonsensical rubbish.
  • Malek86 9 Jan 2019 09:15:20 8,046 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Advent Children is what would happen if you gave a fanfic writer a millionaire budget.

What's more, I bet the plot in FF7R will be slightly altered to accomodate for its existence.
  • Psiloc 9 Jan 2019 09:33:16 4,947 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @drhickman1983 Yeah, I wasn't keen on emo Cloud either. I mean it was explained well enough that he'd become withdrawn since the events of FFVII and didn't try to retcon him as emo all along, but it had that effect on the general perception of Cloud which was a shame. Again AC Complete does a better job of dealing with him coming out of his shell half way through the film with a new scene between Cloud and Marlene.

Since you asked, he's coming across as even less cold in the OT. He's played as more aloof rather than heartless.

And yeah, Sephiroth coming back... I mean, I understand why they felt they had to do that but it does diminish the events of the game. Same thing with how the lifestream saving the planet from meteor ended up infecting everybody with a lethal disease. Sort of spoils the ending doesn't it?
  • Malek86 9 Jan 2019 09:50:26 8,046 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It wasn't just Advent Children, already his appearance in Kingdom Hearts had started to change how people remembered him.

Or maybe his appearance in Kingdom Hearts was made like that because they knew people saw him as emo.

Anyway, let's just all agree to blame Nomura.

Edited by Malek86 at 09:50:44 09-01-2019
  • Graxlar_v3 9 Jan 2019 10:05:33 4,783 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    See, i don't see how Cloud could end up anything else but Emo.

He starts out ff7 thinking he is someone else and doesn't give a shit about anything because he is nothing more than his fractured mind could assume a mercenary would be like.

He then has his world turned upside down and his whole world view is shattered when he finds out that he is a nobody that is little more than a failed experiment but because the world is ending he feels like he has to keep moving.

After the world ends, all this trauma doesn't just disappear. Him becoming withdrawn and wanting to avoid everyone seems like a logical step, unless everyone thinks that FF7 is a Disney movie.

And Sephiroth coming back was dumb, but i liked it (also pretty sure it was foreshadowed in the game - i may be wrong because i haven't played it in over a decade but wasn't Cloud thinking he was soldier is because of a failed clone experiment? i doubt they would have given up on that)
  • Malek86 9 Jan 2019 10:10:20 8,046 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    But that ignores the bit in FF7 where Cloud seemingly comes to terms with himself, with a little help from Tifa.

It's not like Cloud was "alright, I'm a broken shell of a man, but I gotta keep going at least until the planet is saved, after that I can crumble or whatever". The whole point of his arc was that he supposedly got over his past. Except that, according to AC, he did not.
  • Jyzzy-Z 9 Jan 2019 10:16:07 3,744 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I didn't/don't mind cloud being emo. He's a JRPG protagonist and Nomura did write and design the character. So he's entitled to do what he wants in Advent Children.

I was more bothered that the rest of it was absolute pump.

I genuinely hope the FF7 remake never sees the light of day, which looks nailed on. It will just be terrible.

I'd rather they focused on making the main series decent again.

Edited by Jyzzy-Z at 10:16:53 09-01-2019
  • elstoof 9 Jan 2019 10:45:23 22,181 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    He did the character design but didnít write the character. After 7 they put him up on the pedestal and we ended up with all the leather jackets, guyliner and 30 Seconds From Mars members in a car
  • Jyzzy-Z 9 Jan 2019 10:47:32 3,744 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Final Fantasy 15 has the honour of being the only FF game I've played for the exact amount of minutes that are stated in the title.
  • elstoof 9 Jan 2019 10:49:22 22,181 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I didnít mind Sephiroth coming back too much, he was basically doing that in the game anyway seeing as he died before that even started. I was more concerned that the geostigma crap was nonsense, the 3 bad guys were forgettable and Cloud was basically a different person. The remake of 7 is absolutely going to be dog dirt though, I really hope it just disappears so Iím not tempted to give it a go
  • dominalien 9 Jan 2019 10:49:46 8,954 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Post deleted
  • dominalien 9 Jan 2019 10:50:15 8,954 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Preemptive fix.
  • the_milkybar_kid 9 Jan 2019 11:44:20 7,822 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dilly dally shilly shally.
  • Singularity 9 Jan 2019 11:47:10 2,987 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Oh, I had assumed that the FFVII remake was just fancier graphics and the improved translation - I had no idea they were changing the battle system and stuff. That's a bummer.
  • Jyzzy-Z 9 Jan 2019 11:52:18 3,744 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It's a full remake.

It's also never going to be released.
  • challenge_hanukkah 9 Jan 2019 11:56:37 9,289 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The episodic content and real time combat killed any enthusiasm I had for this game that will never see the light of day.
  • the_milkybar_kid 9 Jan 2019 12:02:59 7,822 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nah, it'll be released one day. The young adult in me that watched that PS3 tech demo needs this game. Whether it's pap or not.
  • Jyzzy-Z 9 Jan 2019 12:08:21 3,744 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It'll be hand delivered to your door by bigfoot who will then fly off in his UFO back to never never land.
  • Psiloc 9 Jan 2019 12:14:08 4,947 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah Cloud definitely pulls himself together by the end of the game. Part of the ending is him literally defeating his demons, so it is a bit iffy that he's suddenly all depressed about Aerith and Zack again in AC.

I would push you all towards AC Complete if you haven't already seen it. It's a polished turd, but still an undeniable improvement and certainly at least worth a second look if you're a fan of the game. The movie is like one third longer and it's mostly spent on character development
  • the_milkybar_kid 9 Jan 2019 12:17:37 7,822 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'll check it out. Cheers. As stated above, all's I can remember about that film was "Dilly dally".
  • elstoof 9 Jan 2019 12:22:16 22,181 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Still canít believe someone signed off on putting money into making Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core and Before Crisis
  • FrostPan 9 Jan 2019 22:26:07 1,547 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Crisis Core was trash. But at least the character interactions with Zack and Cloud, as well with Aerith were really endearing.

I'm still really looking forward to the remake. Although I'll treat it as a reimagining rather than remake, as it's obviously not going to be as good, and I think some plot stuff will be altered from the original.

If they can at least release episode 1 for the PS4, I'll be happy with that.

Edited by FrostPan at 22:29:20 09-01-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Jan 2019 22:40:25 4,902 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I quite liked Crisis Core. Sorry.

But the absolute best bit of FF7 content outside of FF7 has got to be in the first Kingdom Hearts. When I first played it through on PS2, my only internet connect was a ropey dialup, so I was playing it unspoilered. I worked my way through the Coliseum stuff unspoilered. Fought the huge golem guy that was the first secret boss. Then another fight unlocked.

Started it... Sora runs into the arena... the sky goes dark... and One Winged Angel starts up.

Fuck yeah.

Was also a pretty bloody epic fight. Secret-end-game-boss difficulty, so much harder than the FF7 version of him.
  • FrostPan 9 Jan 2019 22:50:51 1,547 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rogueywon

I know I'm in the minority for disliking Crisis Core. I personally couldn't get along with the game's DMW system. The whole Genesis/Angeal thing I found so dull too.
  • Ror 9 Jan 2019 23:48:42 18,022 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't know, I feel like people are fairly split on it. For all those that love it, there seem to be just as many who decry it for being shoddy fanfic starring Gackt.

I'm generally quite positive about it, but also really don't like Genesis, sooo... /shrug
  • drhickman1983 10 Jan 2019 00:11:37 5,653 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Been giving the Reunion mod pack a go.

I tried using the new models, but they didn't sit right with me. They're well done, but I'm so used to the original models it felt wrong, even though objectively they're better. So turned that off.

The translation seems pretty decent though, though still early. I'm interested to see how it progresses.

Not sure about the menu update, it's fairly subtle but it removes the option to exit game from the steam versio, so have to F4 to leave with feels a bit wrong. But still, minor quibble.
  • Psiloc 10 Jan 2019 09:53:15 4,947 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I absolutely hate all of the graphics mods. It's sad because some of them have clearly had LOADS of time put into them - just to end up with that ugly 90s 3Dfx look.

The problem for me is they all ditch the super deformed look. I mean fine the original models were janky, but the entire game is built around the SD look and SD proportions. Getting normal characters to fit within the world they just look way too small and out of place.

How has nobody released a mod that maintains the cutesy look with new models?
  • dominalien 12 Jan 2019 14:28:11 8,954 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I like the translation quite a bit, even if I'd rather have Phoenix Downs than whatever it is I'm having now. I really like the colours though. I actually donated to the guy, the work that's been done here is immense.

I wanted to play on the actual PS1, so I tracked down the requisite US version, as sadly I only own the EU one, patched and burned to CD-Rs. It works perfectly. I'd like to donate to the guy who does the PS1 version, but he doesn't post donation links. The work he's done is just as impressive.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.