Cheapest place to buy music online?

• burns 1 Dec 2006 14:46:24 1,138 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Any suggestions?

Last.fm have certain singles to download at just 77p each, are their any sites cheaper then this?

thanks

Edited by burns at 14:49:58 01-12-2006
  • TheSaint 1 Dec 2006 14:47:38 20,631 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I use allofmp3.com but they are currently being held to ransom by VISA and Mastercard so may not be easy to sign up.
  • JayPee 1 Dec 2006 14:53:27 1,490 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Friggin heck 2 whole pence cheaper than the biggest site.

What a bonus.
  • JayPee 1 Dec 2006 14:54:44 1,490 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Fruit_Salad wrote:
    I use Itunes. I tried to make a MP3 CD yesterday and it came back with an error saying '70 tracks' in this playlist cannot be burned to a MP3 CD. I thought: 'Why not?'... so I clicked for more info and all the 70 tracks are protected files bought from Itunes. WTF! I bought these tracks and I can't put them on a CD to play in the car... shitty!

Edited by Fruit_Salad at 14:53:30 01-12-2006
    Burn an audio CD of them and then re-import DRM free. Bit of a hassle, but do-able.
  • burns 1 Dec 2006 15:00:27 1,138 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    JayPee wrote:
    Friggin heck 2 whole pence cheaper than the biggest site.

What a bonus.

I wasn't aware of how much Itunes charged, hence why I asked.
  • Max_Powers 1 Dec 2006 15:07:32 1,253 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Fruit_Salad wrote:
    I use Itunes. I tried to make a MP3 CD yesterday and it came back with an error saying '70 tracks' in this playlist cannot be burned to a MP3 CD. I thought: 'Why not?'... so I clicked for more info and all the 70 tracks are protected files bought from Itunes. WTF! I bought these tracks and I can't put them on a CD to play in the car... shitty!

Edited by Fruit_Salad at 14:53:30 01-12-2006

That is why I don't use Itunes.

Did you also know that when you buy from iTunes you only have the right to play those songs on a maximum of 5 devices?
    Oh, and they don't work on non-ipod mp3 players. Lovely...
  • Scurrminator 1 Dec 2006 15:18:14 9,045 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    www.gomusic.ru

excellent site, never had any problems in the past four years and they have such a massive catalogue of tunes.
    Music costs around $1.15 per album, that's right! albums for 60 pence!
  • Deleted user 1 December 2006 15:21:41
    emusic

If you like less chart-based music and more indie and American stuff, emu are brilliant. Subscription-based but go for the top scheme and it's 90 track downloads a month for 15 (with no DRM in at all and it's completely above board/legal). That's less than 17p a song, or around 8 albums a months for less than 2 each.

For example Joanna Newsom's latest is five tracks - so the whole album costs the equivilent of 85p.

Been with them for about eight months and it's worth every penny if you like downloading a lot of music. Plus you get the free sign up offer of 25 free tracks as well.

Please note if you're after Robbie Williams, Beyonce, Madonna etc etc this isn't the site you're looking for.

EDIT: Sums aren't my strong point.

Edited by posh_geordie at 15:22:56 01-12-2006
  • Shrimp 1 Dec 2006 15:25:01 1,081 posts
    Seen 12 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Damn, that's cheap. Are they particularly legal?

iTunes are indeed wank, though I very occassionally use them on the rare occassions they have something I can't find anywhere else.

I probably use eMusic.com most often. No DRM and you pay a flat rate per track. it's a monthly allowance type deal and I can't remember how much it works out as... :( I'll go and do some maths....

edit: LOL... thanks, posh_geordie :)

Edited by Shrimp at 15:25:51 01-12-2006
  • burns 1 Dec 2006 15:33:22 1,138 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    posh_geordie wrote:
    emusic

If you like less chart-based music and more indie and American stuff, emu are brilliant. Subscription-based but go for the top scheme and it's 90 track downloads a month for 15 (with no DRM in at all and it's completely above board/legal). That's less than 17p a song, or around 8 albums a months for less than 2 each.

For example Joanna Newsom's latest is five tracks - so the whole album costs the equivilent of 85p.

Been with them for about eight months and it's worth every penny if you like downloading a lot of music. Plus you get the free sign up offer of 25 free tracks as well.

Please note if you're after Robbie Williams, Beyonce, Madonna etc etc this isn't the site you're looking for.

EDIT: Sums aren't my strong point.

Edited by posh_geordie at 15:22:56 01-12-2006

Is their anyway of searching emusic, as i would like to make sure they have the music i am after before reg with them?
  • Scurrminator 1 Dec 2006 15:33:54 9,045 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    oh there is no drm on the gomusic site.
    i don't think it's legal to bo honest, cept for the country it's in (russia or thereabouts) - but then i don't care!
  • Shrimp 1 Dec 2006 15:35:31 1,081 posts
    Seen 12 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    re: eMusic, it's possibly worth adding that you can be on a fairly cheap monthly rate, but then buy "booster packs" if you suddenly see loads of stuff you want.

Also their catalogue has improved massively over the last year - including making stuff available in the UK that was previously US only. As an example, they now have almost the entire Ninja Tune back catalogue online.

Finally the clustering functionality is really good... maybe not as good as Last.fm but still good enough to make new plenty of new discoveries.
  • Shrimp 1 Dec 2006 15:37:46 1,081 posts
    Seen 12 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    burns wrote:
    Is their anyway of searching emusic, as i would like to make sure they have the music i am after before reg with them?

I think there's a 1 month free trial. Oddly though, sometimes I end up past the "welcome" screen before having to log in. Cookies, I guess.

Post a list of 2-3 artists and I'll search for you if you want.

Scurrminator - ;D
  • burns 1 Dec 2006 15:40:43 1,138 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Shrimp wrote:
    burns wrote:

I think there's a 1 month free trial. Oddly though, sometimes I end up past the "welcome" screen before having to log in. Cookies, I guess.

Post a list of 2-3 artists and I'll search for you if you want.

Scurrminator - ;D

Electronic music:

Jega
    Ochre
    Plaid
  • Deleted user 1 December 2006 15:44:26
    burns wrote:

I can't see any way of doing it, which is a pity, as I'm sure you could do previously before they opened a dedicated UK operation.

Really, as long it's not from the big boys (Sony BMG, Universal etc) then it tends to be on there.

For example, they've got bands like Belle and Sebastian, Arctic Monkeys (yeah I know), Franz Ferdinand, Futureheads, The Streets - and loads of those indie American bands that usually appear in end of year lists and you go "WTF?". I've really broadened my music tastes as a result.

Plus loads of jazz, blues, folk and classicial tunes (the whole Naxos back catalogue) if you're into that type of thing.

Go with the free trial - then you can see what they've got - then cancel if you don't like it. At least you'll get a couple of albums for free out of them if nowt else.

BTW - I've got no affiliation with them at all - I just like their service as it's DRM free but still legal.
  • Shrimp 1 Dec 2006 15:54:45 1,081 posts
    Seen 12 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Ochre - 1 album
    Jega - 2 albums, some tracks on compilations
    Plaid - 1 on a compilation only :(

Come to think of it I think there might be a referral scheme, so (to be fair, since I was slower initially) get posh_geordie to refer you :)

Anyone else, drop me your email address so I get free tunes thx
  • burns 1 Dec 2006 15:56:39 1,138 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Shrimp wrote:
    Ochre - 1 album
    Jega - 2 albums, some tracks on compilations
    Plaid - 1 on a compilation only :(

Come to think of it I think there might be a referral scheme, so (to be fair, since I was slower initially) get posh_geordie to refer you :)

Anyone else, drop me your email address so I get free tunes thx

cool, will check it out
  • Deleted user 4 March 2012 13:01:28
    Mega-bump

Any up to date recommendations?
    I'm looking for some 'Bye Horus' and they aren't on Amazon, there's some on iTunes but I'm hoping there's an alternative. I checked Spotify who have one album but it's in some bizarre Spotify space-bucks.
  • Deleted user 4 March 2012 14:07:45
    I had a look at the Spotify system, you buy credits which are exchanged for songs but the interesting thing is that if you buy a lot of credits in one go then you can only pay 50p per track. Which makes it pretty cheap, of course it does mean throwing down 50 up front.

This is probably well known to some but I thought I'd share.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.