The Alan Wake Thread Page 123

• DUFFMAN5 7 Aug 2014 23:03:11 26,316 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    American Nightmare was pretty woeful, I couldn't even muster enough enthusiasm to finish it.
    Now that the night's are drawing in, I thought it a perfect time to start this. An hour or so in and I agree with you. Really enjoyed the original game albeit years ago. Not too sure if I will continue.
  • GuiltySpark 7 Aug 2014 23:40:38 6,782 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I love how I was about to agree with you, and then realised it was me you were replying to.

They really dropped the ball on it, which is such a shame, because even with all of its flaws, I still have a massive soft spot for Alan Wake. My original post was a year ago, I still haven't gone back to it.
  • Baihu1983 8 Aug 2014 10:17:00 12,943 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I enjoyed Nightmare but it could have done with more areas.
  • Dr.Haggard 8 Aug 2014 15:13:30 4,640 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm sure I've said this before, probably in this thread, but I thought American Nightmare was worth its price just for Fight 'Till Dawn mode.

I find these kind of tacked on survival/horde mode type things tedious in most games, but the combination of the Alan Wake combat system and controls, the creepy atmosphere, a couple of really nice maps and well thought out mechanics makes it really enjoyable.
  • Baihu1983 8 Aug 2014 15:59:49 12,943 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fight Till Dawn was very good. Shame they never released new maps for it.
  • YenooR 27 Aug 2014 21:05:02 540 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Still have this game in the wrapper, Its a shame I haven't got around to playing it.
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Aug 2014 21:08:16 29,285 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    YenooR wrote:
    Still have this game in the wrapper, Its a shame I haven't got around to playing it.
    do it
  • Kichijoten 27 Aug 2014 21:24:39 4,555 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 easily your worst ever post duff. Shame on you.
  • freddymercurystwin 28 Aug 2014 13:46:24 2,283 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    One of the worst games of the last generation of console games, dreadful! Very poor gameplay and cut scenes that would embarrass a bad pre-last generation game. Thank goodness I only paid about a £4! Dreadful!
  • Dr.Haggard 28 Aug 2014 14:44:03 4,640 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    freddymercurystwin wrote:
    One of the worst games of the last generation of console games, dreadful! Very poor gameplay and cut scenes that would embarrass a bad pre-last generation game. Thank goodness I only paid about a £4! Dreadful!
    Are you talking about Alan Wake or American Nightmare?
  • smoothpete 28 Aug 2014 14:45:25 37,264 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Alan Wake was fucking ace.
  • smoothpete 28 Aug 2014 14:45:40 37,264 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Think I might play it again in fact.
  • Dr.Haggard 28 Aug 2014 15:01:50 4,640 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I would too if it weren't for the fact that me and Diablo got back together.

Alan Wake was fantastic, and since the even fantasic-er PC version it sneaked into the small and exclusive club of games I regularly get the urge to replay. Not perfect, but utterly brilliant all the same.
  • freddymercurystwin 28 Aug 2014 15:15:38 2,283 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    Alan Wake
  • Humperfunk 28 Aug 2014 15:36:11 8,391 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Previously on Alan Wake
  • Kichijoten 28 Aug 2014 15:54:09 4,555 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dr.Haggard wrote:
    Alan Wake
    you sir, have appalling taste.
  • wuntyate 28 Aug 2014 15:59:05 15,826 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    God AW had so much potential. It looked glorious and the whole concept was really interesting. It was just executed so so very badly that the game was an absolute chore from start to finish. Combat was appalling. If they'd spaced out the encounters and got rid of the shitty possessed objects then it might have been okay but... I was gutted. Still finished it though.

Like I say though it looked amazing, real sense of scale. And Barry made me laugh.
  • glaeken 28 Aug 2014 16:34:08 12,070 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Funny this popped up as I am playing it at the moment.

Combat I would say is a little uninspired. It's competent enough it's just not particularly satisfying. I really don't think having to light things up to shoot them works very well as a game play idea. It works in context of the story but it's really just not much fun. It's one of those ideas that probably sounded good on paper but in action it really adds nothing.

Apart from this I am enjoying the general atmosphere and it looks nice. Possessed objects are not really bothering me much but again it's an idea that does not translate into fun.

I am only just into act 4 though at the moment though so I guess I still have some way to go.
  • minky-kong 28 Aug 2014 16:41:15 14,648 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I loved it. That's all I have to add.
  • blobs 28 Aug 2014 16:49:07 611 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I loved it too!
  • Baihu1983 12 May 2017 19:00:00 12,943 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Get it while you can

FAQ :

https://community.remedygames.com/fo...e-13-15-5-2017

What exactly is being discounted
    The Alan Wake Franchise including Alan Wake, all DLC, Alan Wake’s American Nightmare

Will you bring Alan Wake back to stores?
    We are looking into relicensing the music for Alan Wake, but have no timeframe for this.

What happens to Alan Wake’s American Nightmare / Will other Alan Wake SKU’s also disappear?
    Alan Wake’s American Nightmare will remain in stores. Remedy negotiated the music licensing for Alan Wake’s American Nightmare, we did not negotiate the licensing for Alan Wake’s licensed music.

Why does the discount differ in some stores?
    Remedy and Microsoft cannot control how individual stores want to price the game. Remedy can only control pricing on Steam.
  • Boriska 12 May 2017 19:44:28 931 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Loved it...that moment where you're running through the woods and the cops are chasing you, shining their torches through the trees. Oooh lord.
  • KD 12 May 2017 19:46:38 3,053 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Never got around to the dlc's but loved the game, music licensing is killing a lot of old games, mostly driving games I liked.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 12 May 2017 22:00:18 4,116 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Companies really need to look at forcing companies to sign better licencing deals. The deals should he for the software not for set time limits. I suppose ypu may need a clause for making straight ports to newer systems but that should be it. Same with TV shows. Music licensors seem to have far too much power (and even worse in Japan)
  • Radamel 12 May 2017 23:41:55 1,044 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm not particularly big Alan Wake fan, but this news makes me sad. It took two eternities to be ready to launch, a lot of people dedicated a BIG chunk of their lives to it.

Now it's taken off digital shelves due to the fucking soundtrack. Nice.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 May 2017 00:27:42 29,285 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Loved Alan Wake, want a sequel.
    Didn't enjoy the Dlc much.
  • Ror 13 May 2017 00:31:11 20,322 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I quite liked the second DLC episode, The Writer. Didn't enjoy American Nightmare as much though.

I really want a sequel, but I doubt we'll ever see one as I can't imagine anyone other than Microsoft being willing to fund it, and they obviously aren't.

I want a sequel to Quantum Break too :(

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.