Game - New bunch of c***s Page 87

• the_milkybar_kid 28 Dec 2018 09:26:58 7,816 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hmm. I got a Game gift voucher for Christmas. Better hope it can see out next year before the big games start appearing.
  • TheHammerite 28 Dec 2018 09:28:00 2,993 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Rogueywon

No surprise there.

I bought a few DVDs as Christmas presents from HMV and felt slightly out of touch doing so.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Dec 2018 09:33:25 4,883 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @the_milkybar_kid January-March is usually the death-zone for high street retailers (for a variety of reasons, but primarily rates). If I were you, I'd be looking at the Q1 release schedule and seeing if there's anything you'd fancy using the voucher on there. The sooner the better, I suspect. It's possible that RDR2 and Smash Bros have done enough to keep Game going for another year, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Kingdom Hearts 3, perhaps? Ace Combat 7 and Total War: Three Kingdoms also in the same window. In fact, Q1 looks fairly heavily loaded in 2019 - guess all those games who had delays announced at E3 2018 are actually about to launch.
  • SnackPlissken 28 Dec 2018 09:39:21 591 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    I thought about trading in Red Dead 2 the other day, and it was ridiculously low. Then I thought.. oh wait their trade ins are shit because you have to become a GAME Elite member to unlock decent trade ins...
  • the_milkybar_kid 28 Dec 2018 09:42:16 7,816 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Rogueywon There's a few things I've got my eye on but have no release date yet. As you say, they probably had a strong back end with RDR, Pokemon and Smash, but we'll see...
  • SnackPlissken 28 Dec 2018 09:43:54 591 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Post deleted
  • DangerousDave_87 28 Dec 2018 11:24:08 5,425 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    HMV have had 6 years to figure out how to to business online and they've failed. What were they expecting?

Having said that, online businesses aren't taxed nearly enough.
  • SnackPlissken 28 Dec 2018 11:28:16 591 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @DangerousDave_87 When half their shop is littered with gadgets, t-shirts, and mugs.. what did they expect? The public aren't going to go to HMV for any of those things. What they want are cheap blu-rays, cds, and vinyl. Even their vinyl section is embarrassing, when they have artists which aren't targeted towards people who were buying them to create a resurgence.
  • H1ggyLTD 28 Dec 2018 11:33:06 11,207 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:
    Hmm. I got a Game gift voucher for Christmas. Better hope it can see out next year before the big games start appearing.
    Trading mine in today for Ninty e shop credit.
  • JamboWayOh 28 Dec 2018 11:34:31 10,722 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tbh HMV have been shit for a long time. Who wants a game for the RRP and as Snack mentions their vinyl selection is piss poor. I'm still amazed WH Smith is still going. I used to work there as a teen and was always stumped by their shitty deals : buy 3 get 1 half price, spend £50 get a new dvd for £10.

Madness.
  • Ror 28 Dec 2018 11:50:51 18,015 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I actually picked a few things up at HMV recently because they were cheaper than anywhere else. I got SF30th Anniversary for fifteen quid (XBO), Dragon Ball FighterZ (also XBO) for £20, and Black Panther and Thor Ragnarok UHDs for £30 the pair.

I quite like my local HMV, actually, so I'll be a bit sad if it closes (again).
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Dec 2018 11:56:25 4,883 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My local HMV relocated to a significantly smaller unit (just around the corner from the old one) in early 2018, presumably to save costs. All they lost in the move was the section of the store that sold electronics (tablets, phones, headphones etc), which I guess wasn't working out for them. Agree it would be a shame to lose them, as they're on of the few stores locally that isn't selling horribly over-priced clothing and accessories, but their business model has visibly been on its last legs for a long time now.
  • Jono62 28 Dec 2018 11:57:23 21,586 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Ror The one by the Whitgift centre? I like it too. Will turn into another pound shop no doubt.
  • DangerousDave_87 28 Dec 2018 12:00:27 5,425 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @SnackPlissken Yeah. It was a very half-hearted attempt at rebuilding themselves. What bothered me is that they have some franchise stores, like Fopp!, that actually put effort into stocking the right things, and they too will now be at risk.

There's a Fopp! near me that stocks a lot of world cinema, horror and anime, along with a fairly wide range of music and is run by some passionate folk, but that will surely go out of business first.
  • Ror 28 Dec 2018 12:01:36 18,015 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Jono62 That's the one. Yeah, it'll either be a pound shop or yet another empty unit.

It'll be interesting to see if the Westfield development actually does much for the high street.
  • SnackPlissken 28 Dec 2018 12:17:25 591 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @DangerousDave_87 I used to work for Fopp! And the staff discount was incredible. Used to get everything at cost price. But yeah they certainly were sided more towards the independent way of shopping, rather than the commercial. I think thatís part of HMVs problem is that the people that typically bought that side of stuff just arenít when thereís Spotify, Netflix, whereas the independent side thereís still avid film fans, and record collectors who want physical. Anyway what do I know...I was probably part of the downfall for buying shit loads of their stock at cost price 10+ years ago ha.
  • JamboWayOh 28 Dec 2018 13:05:22 10,722 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I loved Fopp!. When I used to live in Bristol as a student I was always in there l, mainly for the frankly great deals on old music that you either couldn't find in HMV or Virgin megastore or it would be there and cost about £20. For a fucking album. Those were the days of being gouged.
  • PazJohnMitch 28 Dec 2018 15:53:58 14,055 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @JamboWayOh

WH Smith survives as they have shop presence in pretty much all major train stations and airports. Their (overpriced) offerings of books, magazines and confectionery is pretty much ideal for people going on long journeys.

And their high street stores are focussed on high schoolers with lots of revision guides and course books.
  • THFourteen 28 Dec 2018 19:05:13 50,566 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The WHSmith at waterloo sells all kinds of weird shit. Even saw them advertising airpods the other day. I mean who buys £130 worth of earphones at a WHSmiths
  • JamboWayOh 28 Dec 2018 19:18:22 10,722 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    The WHSmith at waterloo sells all kinds of weird shit. Even saw them advertising airpods the other day. I mean who buys £130 worth of earphones at a WHSmiths
    Oh yeah, I was at New Street station today and they had headphones stands with beats over ear headphones on. Are these classed as an impulse purchase now?
  • SambaApe 28 Dec 2018 19:38:56 1,273 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch Iím pretty sure EDGE magazine must sell most of their non-subscriber copies to gamers travelling on trains.
  • Jono62 29 Dec 2018 09:46:14 21,586 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Ror Looks like the HMV is closing. Has loads of closing down posters :(
  • Ror 29 Dec 2018 11:01:48 18,015 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Jono62 Ah, bugger. Here's to yet another empty unit in North End, then :(
  • SambaApe 29 Dec 2018 11:34:07 1,273 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Ror They might turn it into another music shop playing obnoxiously loud reggae and house music at all hours. Or is that just further down the road.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 29 Dec 2018 12:03:02 4,883 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    No "closing down" signs at my local branch. A sale in progress, but just looked like standard post-Christmas stuff. That, and the fact the administrators are still honouring vouchers, makes me suspect they've got somebody lined up to take it out of administration as a going concern, albeit probably on the basis of a reduced number of stores.
  • SambaApe 29 Dec 2018 12:07:36 1,273 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Rogueywon Or perhaps just that they sold such a tiny amount of gift vouchers, it isnít worth the aggro.
  • Darth_Flibble 29 Dec 2018 12:29:55 3,244 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    HMV boss use to be Simon Fox back in 2012-ish, the company was doing badly under his reign. He actually had the nerve to say "I am proud to be leaving HMV with a profitable future secured."

Then somehow managed to get a job as CEO at Trinity Mirror, which has been a single force in destroying whats left of local media. The guy is a cunt

The media seems to be blaming HMV demise mostly on Netflix, apple etc but as others have said they focused on the wrong things and also doing a Game and just having rip off prices for items. The Cambridge HMV closed a couple of years ago after they moved out of the main town centre to the other shopping centre just down the road. It was never busy in there after they moved premises.
  • minky-kong 29 Dec 2018 12:32:03 14,098 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not surprised HMV are in trouble when their flagship store on Oxford Street dedicates about a third of the floor space to shelves of Funko Pops, and charges 50% extra then most other places for them.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 29 Dec 2018 12:43:51 4,883 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Darth_Flibble Yikes! They moved HMV Cambridge out of the Lion Yard location? Pity... I have many memories of that store.

Christ, I remember buying Ultima IX there. The second most broken game I've ever paid money for (after Frontier: First Encounters), yet still impressive in its own way...
  • Darth_Flibble 29 Dec 2018 13:03:57 3,244 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Rogueywon

I think they couldn't afford the rent (also the Lion Yard is called Grand Arcade now) I remember when it use to be so busy on a saturday during the ps1 and ps2 era of gaming)

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.