The "I've got an iPhone" thread Page 270

• Tonka 30 Dec 2017 19:20:16 27,960 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Now I'm really curious why Apple are leaving Bluetooth and WiFi on despite their users telling them to turn it off.

What's in it for Apple?

NB I'm somewhat convinced that the reason for killing 3.5mm jack (on both sides, not just Apple) was to make sure people have Bluetooth activated to pave the way for indoor positioning via beacons.

But leaving it on despite people thinking they've turned it off is a bit weird.
  • Dirtbox 30 Dec 2017 20:09:12 90,462 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    spindizzy wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    @spindizzy which part of apple admitting to deliberately gimping older phones has escaped you?
    They fixed the problem of phones crashing (switching off) by slowing them down. As we keep discussing again and again, that they didn't tell people what they were doing and why was a huge fuckup. But what they did technically was a reasonable work around. What they've now done (apologise and offer battery replacement for a very generous price) should be the end of it.

They're offering cheaper battery replacements now, but it's far too little, far too late. They should instead be offering free replacement batteries to everyone who has been impacted by their bullshit.
    You expect Apple to offer free replacement batteries for 5 year old phones? Do you expect the same from Samsung, HTC etc? If not, why not?

Not that it in any way excuses them from doing it in the first place, for that they need to be hauled over the coals and be hit with as many lawsuits as possible from as many countries as possible just to teach them a little humility and to quit treating their mindless legion of fanboys like the idiots they are.
    Whatever dude. Your dislike of Apple is starting to seem a bit weird.
    1. If reports of people's phones just becoming massively unstable due to the update are anything to go by then they didn't fix a thing.

2. If they are going to gimp people's phones because of the battery, either stop gimping them or fix the manufacturing issue. I tend not to expect forced obsolescence from any company, so if anyone at all does it, I want to see them eat the pile of shit they created with a spoon. And it's not 5 year old phones either, the original phone that begun this entire thing was an iphone 7. It's these kinds of bizarre, defensive lies that leads me neatly onto...

3. And I don't dislike apple much, aside from their horrendous business practices, I just dislike the endless stream of defensive idiocy from their fans. I'm starting to think Apple can push an update that causes their iphones to spray shit on their faces and they'll thank Apple for not eating sweetcorn.

Edited by Dirtbox at 20:35:07 30-12-2017
  • Deleted user 30 December 2017 20:12:11
    https://youtu.be/qslcnw-9KbI
  • mal 30 Dec 2017 20:39:05 29,326 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    One question; if you fit a new battery to your iphone, do you then get the option to speed the processor up again? Cos that would require a software update and I've not heard anything about them doing that.

Don't get me wrong, them offering new batteries at reasonable prices is absolutely the right thing to do (even if it's not quite as good as my old phone where you can simply pop the back off and fit a cheapo third party battery), but this arose because they were gimping old phones, and I've not heard of them stopping doing that yet. Maybe I've not been paying enough attention though.
  • -HairyArse 30 Dec 2017 20:41:41 1,118 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    A new battery automatically ungimps your phone.
  • Dirtbox 30 Dec 2017 20:44:00 90,462 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, it throttles based on battery health. People have reported that even a 2% drop in health, which is far less than the 15% threshold that they have said they begin throttling at causes it too. It throttles in steps, from a little to a shitload.
  • mal 30 Dec 2017 21:13:04 29,326 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Think the battery on my Pandora was at about 98% of design within six months or so when I first checked it. Now, after five years it's at 96.2% of design, despite me overclocking it whenever I'm using it (for the past couple of years I've been clocking it super-low whenever I'm not using it though). Otherwise it's normally running 24x7, although that's only a lowly 1GHz cortex-A8, which can only make a small warm section of the case even if clocked to just below failure and running a big job.

But yeah, mainstream phones are built to a price, even iphones, so maybe they're not using quite as good batteries. Plus with the CPU/GPU combo potentially getting quite hot for periods, that can have a detrimental effect too.
  • spindizzy 31 Dec 2017 09:33:20 7,754 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    spindizzy wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    @spindizzy which part of apple admitting to deliberately gimping older phones has escaped you?
    They fixed the problem of phones crashing (switching off) by slowing them down. As we keep discussing again and again, that they didn't tell people what they were doing and why was a huge fuckup. But what they did technically was a reasonable work around. What they've now done (apologise and offer battery replacement for a very generous price) should be the end of it.

They're offering cheaper battery replacements now, but it's far too little, far too late. They should instead be offering free replacement batteries to everyone who has been impacted by their bullshit.
    You expect Apple to offer free replacement batteries for 5 year old phones? Do you expect the same from Samsung, HTC etc? If not, why not?

Not that it in any way excuses them from doing it in the first place, for that they need to be hauled over the coals and be hit with as many lawsuits as possible from as many countries as possible just to teach them a little humility and to quit treating their mindless legion of fanboys like the idiots they are.
    Whatever dude. Your dislike of Apple is starting to seem a bit weird.
    1. If reports of people's phones just becoming massively unstable due to the update are anything to go by then they didn't fix a thing.

2. If they are going to gimp people's phones because of the battery, either stop gimping them or fix the manufacturing issue. I tend not to expect forced obsolescence from any company, so if anyone at all does it, I want to see them eat the pile of shit they created with a spoon. And it's not 5 year old phones either, the original phone that begun this entire thing was an iphone 7. It's these kinds of bizarre, defensive lies that leads me neatly onto...

3. And I don't dislike apple much, aside from their horrendous business practices, I just dislike the endless stream of defensive idiocy from their fans. I'm starting to think Apple can push an update that causes their iphones to spray shit on their faces and they'll thank Apple for not eating sweetcorn.
    1. I haven’t seen those reports. Link please? Given the media interest, I kind of think it’d be being reported everywhere if it were a significant problem. From personal experience, my phone no longer shuts down randomly, so from a data sample of one, the update worked as intended.

2. “defensive lies”. LOL. It wasn’t an iPhone 7, it was a 6S. More interestingly though, are iPhone batteries worse than other manufacturers? I seriously doubt it, but presumably you have some reason for thinking it’s a manufacturing issue and not a general failing of li-ion batteries? My wife’s S7 would randomly shut down and she barely used it. I’ve heard of people returning their S8s because of poor battery life. And let’s not forget phones catching fire. Batteries are really not good enough yet, but unless Apple have used subpar parts, it’s not their fault.
  • Tonka 31 Dec 2017 09:44:10 27,960 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Wrt Apple testing their customers like garbage.

Apple gave Uber the ability to record people's homescreens bc... ?

http://mashable.com/2017/10/05/uber-copy-iphone-screen-apple-watch.amp

Old story I completely missed.
  • Tonka 31 Dec 2017 09:46:52 27,960 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    That's Apple, the champions of privacy handing over their customers home screens to Uber, the champions of depravity.

👏👏🤡🎩🤦‍♂️
  • nickthegun 31 Dec 2017 09:55:42 74,075 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Heh, is your browser offering up anti-apple ‘stories you may like...’ now?
  • Tonka 31 Dec 2017 10:14:37 27,960 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Apple: we won't unlock the iPhone of a serial killer to help the FBI, but we will hand over the home screen of all our users to Uber.

Way to go!

Edited by Tonka at 10:15:50 31-12-2017
  • mothercruncher 31 Dec 2017 11:07:13 14,965 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So me people just froth over Apple in amazing ways.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 31 Dec 2017 11:08:24 11,505 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I like the way their predictive text function helps me make forum posts that make sense.
  • HarryB 31 Dec 2017 12:55:01 7,307 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You can’t talk about Apple stuff meaningfully because people are so nuts about them. In both negative and positive ways. Not worth the hassle normally. £25 to replace my battery is fine with me though considering it’s from the manufacturer and cheaper than a 3rd party repairer. I could only get off brand batteries for £20-25 and I’d have to fit it myself.
  • Dirtbox 31 Dec 2017 13:01:19 90,462 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    spindizzy wrote:
    1. I haven’t seen those reports. Link please? Given the media interest, I kind of think it’d be being reported everywhere if it were a significant problem. From personal experience, my phone no longer shuts down randomly, so from a data sample of one, the update worked as intended.

2. “defensive lies”. LOL. It wasn’t an iPhone 7, it was a 6S. More interestingly though, are iPhone batteries worse than other manufacturers? I seriously doubt it, but presumably you have some reason for thinking it’s a manufacturing issue and not a general failing of li-ion batteries? My wife’s S7 would randomly shut down and she barely used it. I’ve heard of people returning their S8s because of poor battery life. And let’s not forget phones catching fire. Batteries are really not good enough yet, but unless Apple have used subpar parts, it’s not their fault.
    Here one link for starters. http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/post/72848/12087804

And my bad on the phone version, it was a 2.5 year old phone instead. I was sidetracked by the people in the reddit thread with 7s that were corroborating. Are you really suggesting the iphone 4 is the only model affected by this? Really?

You really should cast your eyes to the comments there, it's an interesting read. https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/7inu45/psa_iphone_slow_try_replacing_your_battery/

Oh, and I forgot. Apple's batteries are great in things like the apple watch which are rated for 1000 cycles before degradation. However the iphone batteries are rated for 400 cycles. For contrast, my oneplus 3's battery was rated for 800. My £150 oneplus one was rated for 650 and still gives 2 days of regular use today after 5 major android version updates from kitkat right through to oreo and is still as snappy as the day I got it 4 years ago. That's the difference between a sleek, expensive apple product and a cheapo piece of plasticy android tat.

Edited by Dirtbox at 12:45:43 02-01-2018
  • Tonka 31 Dec 2017 13:38:50 27,960 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    I like the way their predictive text function helps me make forum posts that make sense.
    What I find odd is that Swiftkey had amazing predictive suggestions. To the point where I sometimes felt as if I only had to type about 20% of the words and the rest would magically appear by themselves.

Then I switched to Google's keyboard because paranoia, and everything's much much worse.

One would think predictive text would be right up Google's alley.
  • dominalien 2 Jan 2018 08:48:28 8,575 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Here's a thing you should watch out for, as it turns out:

If you're riding an elevator and you take your phone (let's say a rather brand new iPhone X) out of your pocket, you should really, really make sure it doesn't slip from your hand and as you're trying to catch it it doesn't rest against the elevator door propped by your hand and then, as you're already sure it's not going to fall, it slides along the door and into the slit that's between the two door halves that's just wide enough to let it go in without any resistance.

There's lots of things that happen after that. First of all, the door now only opens some 30 cm with a pretty awful grinding noise as it does, and you and your family have to exit though that. I'm telling you, the 8yo with you is going to love it. Then you have to wait for the elevator dude to come, all the while telling everyone else in the building please don't try and call the elevator because there's a terrible grinding noise as the door opens and that's your phone that's making it and they won't want to get in anyway because the door doesn't open all the way through. And then someone calls the elevator anyway from another floor and it starts moving and you can hear your phone fall to the basement through the gap between the elevator and the wall.

The elevator guy was very quick and didn't even charge too much considering it was New Year's. The phone has the glass scratched along the right edge a bit, but it's nothing very serious. Thank fuck for the Christmas gift of a silicone case.
  • mothercruncher 2 Jan 2018 09:01:58 14,965 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Christ, I could barely read that.
  • askew 2 Jan 2018 10:01:12 16,792 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Does The Elevator Guy star Jim Carrey?

Edited by askew at 10:01:22 02-01-2018
  • ozthegweat 2 Jan 2018 12:33:56 1,894 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @dominalien Have you sued Apple already?
  • sherpa1984 2 Jan 2018 12:42:17 759 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yea same here.

20 months ago I switched from the iPhone 5c to a Galaxy S6. Liked the 5c (despite it being the budget model) and not a big fan of my S6.

Now that I'm close to renewal I google'd "S8 vs iphone 7 comparison" and the specs of the S8 completely smashes the iPhone 7 and it's a lot cheaper on contract.

Struggling to justify going back to iPhone now :(
  • dominalien 2 Jan 2018 12:46:38 8,575 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @ozthegweat My army of lawyers are writing the class motion as we speak.
  • Dirtbox 2 Jan 2018 12:48:39 90,462 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Why are you considering a samsung when there are phones like the mi mix, essential phone or the pixel? They all make the iphone X look hilariously outdated and the pixel 2 is just the best in every class.

Edited by Dirtbox at 12:56:53 02-01-2018
  • sherpa1984 2 Jan 2018 13:24:55 759 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Why are you considering a samsung when there are phones like the mi mix, essential phone or the pixel? They all make the iphone X look hilariously outdated and the pixel 2 is just the best in every class.
    Best in every class? Doesn't my old, rusty S6 have a far superior screen than the Pixel 2?

I won't pretend I know all about phones, but my very limited knowledge of the Pixel 2 is that it's only worth it if the camera is your most valued feature on a phone?
  • Tonka 2 Jan 2018 13:26:31 27,960 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The selling point for me would be actual up to date Android.

And the camera.
  • Armoured_Bear 2 Jan 2018 13:36:23 22,625 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dirtbox has a posting template , he just replaces “consoles” with “Sony” or “Apple” or “iPhone” and “PCs” with “Android”.
    Swap “Apple sheeple” with “console tards”.
    Surely he creates them with software.
  • Dirtbox 2 Jan 2018 14:01:12 90,462 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    sherpa1984 wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Best in every class? Doesn't my old, rusty S6 have a far superior screen than the Pixel 2?

I won't pretend I know all about phones, but my very limited knowledge of the Pixel 2 is that it's only worth it if the camera is your most valued feature on a phone?
    You'd better head to the android thread really. pixel 2 is amazing, screen or no.
  • Dirtbox 2 Jan 2018 14:03:22 90,462 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Dirtbox has a posting template , he just replaces “consoles” with “Sony” or “Apple” or “iPhone” and “PCs” with “Android”.
    Swap “Apple sheeple” with “console tards”.
    Surely he creates them with software.
    Except you obviously haven't read a single thing I've posted, your posting template is simply dirtbox posting something that casts something i like in a bad light that I can't construct an argument against, therefore I'll just flick my balls and act like a stunted maggot.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.