The "I've got an iPhone" thread Page 290

Next Last
  • Bambot 10 Jul 2020 20:15:13 1,879 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    The latest iOS update a couple of weeks ago seems to have fucked the battery for a lot of people across multiple devices as well as appearing to cause overheating issues.

Could that be a factor?

Mine was so bad I couldnít keep it in my pocket it was so hot. You could watch the battery % drain before your eyes too. Even when plugged in on a couple of occasions.
    I've had a couple of times on iPhones in the past. Tracked it down to an app that was doing a fuckton of work behind the scenes, downloading and uploading. Wasn't supposed to be, and not sure what triggered it at the time, or how we solved it. Anyway, since then I've occasionally seen tips about your iPhone slowing down after an update and it can be to do with some app or service that's got to download or upload a ton of data because of something that's changed, or been wiped, in the update.

Or something.

Dunno mate.
  • Dougs 10 Jul 2020 22:41:18 96,721 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Wise words
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 11 Jul 2020 00:13:14 2,992 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Had a play with the public beta, its very nice. But as with Android I don't use the widgets at all.

The app library is a long overdue addition however.
  • ozthegweat 11 Jul 2020 07:46:24 2,708 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bambot wrote:
    I have to be honest, I used to get the raging horn for all things iOS back in the first 7 or 8 years, but kinda ever since whatever iOS was on the 6S I've stopped really caring what's new. I don't care about a fancy new way to display my apps, or having a ton of crap on the home screen I don't need, or anything AT ALL to do with messages or emojis or fancy camera modes or sleep tracking or health tracking or a new bell and whistle on safari that i never use or anything else.

Just me?
    Well, it depends on how you use your device I guess. If I don't have to open an app because the info I'm looking for is right on the home screen, that's a clear plus. Videos that keep playing when closing the app is something I use on the iPad all the time and it's finally coming to iPhone.

The stuff that is coming to the iPad/Pencil is also quite interesting.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 11 Jul 2020 07:51:36 15,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bambot wrote:
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    The latest iOS update a couple of weeks ago seems to have fucked the battery for a lot of people across multiple devices as well as appearing to cause overheating issues.

Could that be a factor?

Mine was so bad I couldnít keep it in my pocket it was so hot. You could watch the battery % drain before your eyes too. Even when plugged in on a couple of occasions.
    I've had a couple of times on iPhones in the past. Tracked it down to an app that was doing a fuckton of work behind the scenes, downloading and uploading. Wasn't supposed to be, and not sure what triggered it at the time, or how we solved it. Anyway, since then I've occasionally seen tips about your iPhone slowing down after an update and it can be to do with some app or service that's got to download or upload a ton of data because of something that's changed, or been wiped, in the update.

Or something.

Dunno mate.
    After shutting off as many apps and background refreshes as possible I found that Music was struggling to download an album I hadnít asked it too. Stopping that and restarting the phone (again) did the trick
  • Tonka 11 Jul 2020 08:13:04 31,378 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Was it U2?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 11 Jul 2020 08:23:38 15,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Black Sabbath so at least it wouldíve been good if my phone didnít catch fire.

I wonder if it was a glitch caused by the update since it started the day I did it and I donít actually use the music app anymore
  • You-can-call-me-kal 29 Aug 2020 09:01:28 21,390 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Weird thing with my iPhone XS. Iím getting an ever so slight tingly electric feeling when I touch the screen, even when itís not charging/plugged in. Googled and only seems to be a complaint when charging, can find any examples of it happening when not plugged in.

Itís only mildly annoying but it feels like a symptom of something quite wrong.
  • ozthegweat 30 Aug 2020 11:05:45 2,708 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That doesn't sound good.
  • sherpa1984 30 Aug 2020 13:42:59 854 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Weird thing with my iPhone XS. Iím getting an ever so slight tingly electric feeling when I touch the screen, even when itís not charging/plugged in. Googled and only seems to be a complaint when charging, can find any examples of it happening when not plugged in.

Itís only mildly annoying but it feels like a symptom of something quite wrong.
    I got that from the metal back of my old iPad Air. Took it to Apple because the battery couldnít hold a charge and they confirmed the battery had failed.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 30 Aug 2020 14:07:29 21,390 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hmmm. Ok thanks.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 30 Aug 2020 14:08:00 21,390 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Weirdly now think my iPad is doing it too but not sure if Iím just imagining it now.
  • Tonka 30 Aug 2020 16:12:47 31,378 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    My old MacBook pro was word like that as well. I got a metallic taste in my mouth if I touched it.

Last time I tried to charge it, it wouldn't charge. It had been unplugged for months at that time though, but the battery lasted about 20 minutes last time it was funny charged.

So, I'm guessing it's some electrical failure and that it might be worth it to try and have it replaced.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 30 Aug 2020 17:07:41 21,390 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Iím liking the sound of the rumoured smaller IPhone 12 anyway so might just trade in a few weeks or whenever it comes.
  • elstoof 30 Aug 2020 19:43:38 26,254 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Aluminium MacBook cases do that when charging, my old Pro with MagSafe would do it if you plugged the transformer straight into the wall but it wouldnít happen if you used the optional extender cable so I expect itís some sort of earthing issue. Strange to get it from the glass touchscreen though, Iíd be off to the Genius Bar for a replacement
  • Nexus_6 31 Aug 2020 15:06:45 5,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Only time other that charging I would get that was waiting at the train station (remember those days?) near the high voltage lines.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 31 Aug 2020 15:26:43 21,390 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I did a total shut down and restart and it seems to have fixed it for now.
  • Buztafen 24 Oct 2020 08:20:01 17,535 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So as the thread suggests, I have an iPhone but itís second hand and locked to Vodafone.

Iíve read that I need to use it with a Vodafone sim for 30 days before I can get it unlocked but in the interest of making that Ďplan bí has anyone come across any other successful and legitimateíish ways to unlock an iPhone from Voda quicker?
  • dominalien 24 Oct 2020 08:35:05 10,116 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I don't remember if it was from Voda (possibly though), but I paid someone on eBay something like 40 pounds to do the Apple database shenanigans and voila, after an hour the phone was unlocked.

That was back in iPhone 4 days, however, I don't know how matters stand right now. I didn't even think companies locked phones any more.
  • nickthegun 24 Oct 2020 09:58:26 83,748 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think if it's locked, it's still 30 days PAYG or 20 quid to your local phone shop.
  • Buztafen 25 Oct 2020 07:17:20 17,535 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cheers, it seems like £20 is the going rate for unlock by dodgy website. Might just stump the cost as Iím guessing Iíll need to pay some money towards a pay as you go voda sim when using it for a month.
  • Buztafen 25 Oct 2020 07:37:57 17,535 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Looking at reviews for all these unlock sites it seems £20 is pre unlock price then they sting you for loads of additional costs. 😩

30 days with 2 phones it is then...
  • macmurphy 12 Nov 2020 13:47:51 4,384 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So the latest iPhone update (14.2?) seems to have actually unfucked my battery. I have an original iPhone SE and the performance was awful under about 20%. I basically had to keep it above that or it became a juddery mess.

Performance today right down to 4% earlier and it was working fine. I thought it was because my battery was old (and third party), turns out it was OS related.

So Apple were probably being weasels trying to force an upgrade but despite me always thinking upgrades fucked the phone, this latest one has given it a new lease of life.

My 3/4 year old phone is working great 🤷‍♂️ Try it if you had issues.
  • elstoof 4 Dec 2020 13:21:05 26,254 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    12 pro is pretty snappy after 3 years on an X. Itís got some heft to it too
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.