How green are you?

First Previous
  • Murbs 16 Jan 2007 09:35:36 24,815 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    What are you doing, what would you consider doing to go greener and is there anything you would refuse to do/give up for the sake of the planet?

Let's face it, as gamers we're pretty heavy on the electrics. The consoles, the HDTVs, the sky boxes, the surround sound systems, endless chargers... Does it all get switched off/unplugged when not in use?

What about recycling?

Do you walk/cycle to work or drive a 4x4 with only your good self inside? Would you get a smaller greener car given the opportunity?
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 16 Jan 2007 09:45:35 7,084 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I try to do my bit without being OTT.

I recycle as much of our rubbish as possible (bottles, cans, plastic and packaging, paper) and compost the organic waste.

We've got energy efficient lightbulbs and when we buy new appliances we try and get ones that are low power or have power saving options. Plus we pay for 'green energy' rather than the old stuff (but I still don't understand how we get the green stuff! ;)).

I generally cycle, walk or take the bus around town.

We've got a brick in the sistern and a barrel that collects rainwater to water the garden.

I try and buy locally sourced produce and we get an organic veg box delivered once every two weeks.

And my latest resolution is to only take flights for international travel.
  • Deleted user 16 January 2007 09:47:31
    My HDTV uses less leccy than my CRT old one, so I'm helping the planet when I watch telly.

Also, my car runs on the tears of gypsies.

EDIT - I'd use the energy efficient lightbulbs, if only they fucking well made a standard plug type! I've been down that road two or three times, only to find that I can't buy the right bulb when they finally blow....

Edited by PES_Fanboy at 09:48:32 16-01-2007
  • Dougs 16 Jan 2007 09:48:07 94,678 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I do use too much energy, I'm a shocker for leaving lights, PC, TV on standby etc. But on the plus side, I don't own a car and recycle pretty much everything. I think between me and my gf we get through only 1 black bin bag a week and about 3/4 recycle bags.

Could do more though, admittedly....
  • Pirotic Moderator 16 Jan 2007 09:49:19 20,642 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Not very at all, I'm to lazy to recycle - we need to leave this planet one day anyway, else the sun is only going to go supernova on our arses and turn everything into star dust. and my PC's power saving settings are terrible, hard-disk doesn't turn off until an hour, monitor after 2 :p
  • Pike 16 Jan 2007 09:50:48 13,459 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Green is the new red.

I tend to stay well clear of any "green" products.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 16 Jan 2007 09:51:13 7,084 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    With living greener I don't think people should be forced into it, and I don't think people should bend over backwards to be green BUT there are a lot of really simple things people can do (such as energy efficient lightbulbs and a brick in older sisterns) that everyone should aim to do.
  • SirScratchalot 16 Jan 2007 09:51:38 7,921 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I politically campaign for Nuclear power!
    Does that count?

And I don't drive.
  • Pirotic Moderator 16 Jan 2007 09:52:07 20,642 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    As bart simpson once said:

Aw, recycling's useless Lis. Once the Sun burns out, this planet is doomed. You're just making sure we spend our last days using inferior products.
  • Pike 16 Jan 2007 09:52:58 13,459 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    SirScratchalot wrote:
    Does that count?

It should, if environmentalists actually considered what works and not what their confused Gaia mysticism tells them.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 16 Jan 2007 09:55:01 7,084 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    I'd use the energy efficient lightbulbs, if only they fucking well made a standard plug type! I've been down that road two or three times, only to find that I can't buy the right bulb when they finally blow....

The ones I use have the same plug types as traditional bulbs - do you have some sort of strange lamp set-up?

Pike wrote:
    I tend to stay well clear of any "green" products.

Really? It's an easy way to reduce your carbon footprint.

SirScratchalot wrote:

Aye, this is one thing that many environmentalist are against but, personally, I'm sorta in favour. Modern reactors are incredibly safe compared to the bad old days of Chernobyl. If they can just sort of the waste storage issue then there's no reason why we shouldn't create more.

Edited by Pac-man ate my wife at 09:56:57 16-01-2007
  • SirScratchalot 16 Jan 2007 09:56:17 7,921 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Pike wrote:
    SirScratchalot wrote:
    Does that count?

It should, if environmentalists actually considered what works and not what their confused Gaia mysticism tells them.

What really irks me is bio-grown food actually. Foods that can grow without toxins are usually breeds that produce vast amounts of toxins on their own.

Plants that don't have toxins need other solutions to avoid pests, such as really thick shells for most fruit.
    Anyway, slightly OT but still.

Note: None of this applies in the US where the only food that actually has taste is the organically grown stuff. The supermarket veggies are all high-prdouction no-taste breeds.
  • Pike 16 Jan 2007 09:58:20 13,459 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    SirScratchalot wrote:
    Pike wrote:
    SirScratchalot wrote:
    Does that count?

What really irks me is bio-grown food actually. Foods that can grow without toxins are usually breeds that produce vast amounts of toxins on their own.

And of course "organically" grown crops use three times as much farmland as regular crops. Something that their peoponents usually tend to ignore.
  • markh 16 Jan 2007 09:58:52 3,599 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Pac-man ate my wife wrote:

I try and buy locally sourced produce and we get an organic veg box delivered once every two weeks.

How do those veg boxes work? Can you get them delivered when it's best for you?

I'd like to do that, but there's normally noone at the house 6 days a week.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 16 Jan 2007 10:03:42 7,084 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    markh wrote:

How do those veg boxes work? Can you get them delivered when it's best for you?

I'd like to do that, but there's normally noone at the house 6 days a week.

We can choose delivery day, which works fine for us as the lass works from home on Wednesdays.

If you live in a house they'll usually happily drop it off outside.
  • Load_2.0 16 Jan 2007 10:04:04 31,893 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    How green am I?

This Green...RAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH.
  • Deleted user 16 January 2007 10:04:22
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    I'd use the energy efficient lightbulbs, if only they fucking well made a standard plug type! I've been down that road two or three times, only to find that I can't buy the right bulb when they finally blow....

The ones I use have the same plug types as traditional bulbs - do you have some sort of strange lamp set-up?

No, just obviously a stupid house with stupid bulb connectors.

Stupid fucking thing.
  • Dougs 16 Jan 2007 10:04:24 94,678 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:

The ones I use have the same plug types as traditional bulbs - do you have some sort of strange lamp set-up? [/QUOTE]

My problem with them (or rather the missus', I couldn't care) is that they are generally too large and so stick out of the lampshade. And you know what wimmen are like for aesthetics...!

Edited by Dougs at 10:06:05 16-01-2007
  • Goban 16 Jan 2007 10:05:14 10,071 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    +Haven't been on an aeroplane in 2 years(that depresses me).
    +Recycle as much as possible and compost organics.
    +Walk to work.
    +Reducing energy consumption at home by improved insulation, double glazing etc etc, efficient heating(next on list)
    +Buy local produce where possible.
    +Trying my best to reduce the energy in construction and use of all the buildings I design.

- Have 2 cars, one of which is 4x4 which I quite often drive with just me in it.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 16 Jan 2007 10:07:22 7,084 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Pike wrote:
    SirScratchalot wrote:

And of course "organically" grown crops use three times as much farmland as regular crops. Something that their peoponents usually tend to ignore.

Firstly any toxins produced by organically produced food are unlikely to have a wider impact on the surrounding environment, unlike man-made chemicals and fertilizers. So it's really what you consider more impactful.

Secondly I'm not sure where you got the 'three times as much' figure but many farmers are currently paid to NOT grow crops due to our mental farming policies. Surely it's better that the land is turned over and used productively than sitting fallow.

EDIT: I'm not one of these airy-fairy hippies who believe that organic food is somehow magically better for you. I choose organic food for the environmental impact. Growing up in the countryside where, as a kid, our local stream was made toxic due to a farmer carelessly handling chemicals on his farm I've seen the damage they can do.

Edited by Pac-man ate my wife at 10:10:25 16-01-2007
  • Goban 16 Jan 2007 10:09:36 10,071 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Surely it's better that the land is turned over and used productively than sitting fallow.

Not if you like wildlife.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 16 Jan 2007 10:11:07 7,084 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Goban wrote:
    Surely it's better that the land is turned over and used productively than sitting fallow.

Not if you like wildlife.

There's very little wildlife in a fallow field.

Hedgerows are where the wildlife is at it's most dense and diverse. Many organic farms are putting back hedgerows that were pulled out during the growth of agribusiness in the 70s and 80s.

A fallow field has no real ecosystem to speak of.

Edited by Pac-man ate my wife at 10:12:44 16-01-2007
  • Stickman 16 Jan 2007 10:13:09 29,986 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I live in a ditch and weave my own clothes from thistles.
  • FairgroundTown 16 Jan 2007 10:13:26 2,522 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I can't use energy-efficient light-bulbs in several rooms, because they flash (every 5 seconds or so) when they are not "on" and this is very annoying at night. Aparently it is something to do with "leakage" in the electrical circuits, but I don't really understand why some are okay and some not.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 16 Jan 2007 10:15:46 7,084 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Stickman wrote:

Ah, but are they organic thistles?
  • Goban 16 Jan 2007 10:16:04 10,071 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    A fallow field has no real ecosystem to speak of.
    /

True, I was thinking more of restoring meodow eco-systems, rather than leaving fallow.

Edited by Goban at 10:16:35 16-01-2007
  • Stickman 16 Jan 2007 10:23:02 29,986 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Stickman wrote:

Ah, but are they organic thistles?

They're made of hemp and lentils.
  • Nexus_6 16 Jan 2007 10:23:14 5,080 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Goban wrote:

+Haven't been on an aeroplane in 2 years(that depresses me).
    +Recycle as much as possible and compost organics.
    +Walk to work.
    +Reducing energy consumption at home by improved insulation, double glazing etc etc, efficient heating(next on list)
    +Buy local produce where possible.
    +Trying my best to reduce the energy in construction and use of all the buildings I design.

- Have 2 cars, one of which is 4x4 which I quite often drive with just me in it.

in what way are you invovled in building design?

i am an architect and am currently involved in specifying for a very good BREEAM rating on a city center office design. ths involves (for those that are interested) specifying sustainable materials, materials as low in embodied energy as possible (locally sourced easy to extract/form etc) the most efficient service system possible (ie natural ventilation as opposed to air con, low capacity cysterns large windows for good natural light to reduce electric light etc) provision of bicycle stores to encourage good modes of transport, follow that up with showers in all wcs for practical purposes, reduce number of available car park spaces and so on.

i get the bus to work and only use public transport. dont own a car, house has been refurbished with cavity insulation, loft insulation and a more effivient boiler. Recycle paper/card, cans, bottles (plastic and glass), turn off all appliances after use, dont heat unused rooms, use energy saving lighbulbs and damn the aesthetics!

this is all undone of course as my favourite pass-time involves burning large areas of forest while raping the displaced endangered wildlife.
  • Goban 16 Jan 2007 10:26:04 10,071 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Nexus 6 wrote:
    in what way are you invovled in building design?

An Architect, like your good self.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.