How green are you? Page 3

Next Last
  • JimJam 16 Jan 2007 22:36:29 769 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    Hopefully one day in the UK they will learn that people will only use public transport when it provides a decent service that is a real alternative to using cars.

And doesn't cost more than driving or flying.
  • lady_fluffstar 17 Jan 2007 12:22:08 105 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Um, I recylce everything possible, am a member of a webring that swops things they no longer need to reduce and reuse before recycling, refuse to use anything other than public transport. and use all biodegradable household products (i.e no chemical cleaners, washing up liquid or washing powder). I don't use a tumble drier, have energy efficient lightbulbs, and buy fairtrade wherever possible. I also would buy all organic, but simply can't afford yet, however I buy from farm shops and farmers markets (organinc, reasonably priced, and supporting local farms all at once) whenver possible.

My husband tends to call me a goddam hippy :(

EDIT: also we get our electricty from a renewable energy supplier (i'm pretty sure it's hydroelectricity).
    Also i'd love a solar panel on the house! where did you get it?

Edited by lady_fluffstar at 12:22:58 17-01-2007

Edited by lady_fluffstar at 12:23:48 17-01-2007
  • otto Moderator 28 May 2007 11:16:19 49,322 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    What are you doing, what would you consider doing to go greener and is there anything you would refuse to do/give up for the sake of the planet?

Let's face it, as gamers we're pretty heavy on the electrics. The consoles, the HDTVs, the sky boxes, the surround sound systems, endless chargers... Does it all get switched off/unplugged when not in use?

What about recycling?

Do you walk/cycle to work or drive a 4x4 with only your good self inside? Would you get a smaller greener car given the opportunity?
    I'm getting a lot greener as I get older.

I follow the three 'R's, in that order - reduce, reuse, recycle.
    I walk or bike to work, further afield I take the bus or train, I fly as little as possible, I use the car only for long journeys.
    My current car is a relatively fuel-efficient diesel, but it's still a car. I'm thinking of ditching it for good in the next couple of years. If I need a car for the odd occasion I can always rent one.
    I buy local, organic food wherever possible. I rarely eat meat.
    I use natural cleaning products (vinegar, soap & water etc). I use those little ionising discs in the washing machine instead of detergent (they work really well). I have an energy efficient dishwasher and use biodegradable detergent.
    We used reusable cloth nappies when our nipper was in nappies.
    I've decided to cut down drastically on my consumerism. This Christmas was entirely anti-consumerist (charity gifts only). No big electronic purchases for a while now - I'm not joining this console generation. (This is by far the hardest aspect for me.) I buy second-hand wherever possible and sell on (or give/'freecycle') my old stuff rather than chuck it out.
    I keep the heating low and wear extra layers; I insulate doors & windows.

But, most important of all, I only vote for politicians with a radical environmentalist agenda. Nothing will ever happen unless government gets aggressively serious about reducing environmental degradation.

It's pretty much impossible to be a good environmental citizen in our western society but there's a lot you can do.
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:54:52
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
  • Buztafen 27 Jan 2020 14:47:57 17,512 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Super Super Super Thread Resurrection EXTREME!!!

So, i've got 2 really old Packard Bell EasyNote laptops that amazingly still work and boot into Win XP.

After backing up any files/photos, i'm reluctant to chuck em in the bin because...well they work and I hate throwing stuff that's perfectly functional away.

Does anyone know of a way of recycling these laptops so someone else may get some use out of them...or maybe even some parts?
  • TheSaint 27 Jan 2020 15:05:00 19,486 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Stick them up on Ebay?
  • Dougs 27 Jan 2020 15:31:01 93,664 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Or is there a charity that recycles them for developing nations or something?
  • JYM60 27 Jan 2020 15:36:55 18,406 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Or a charity shop?
  • Buztafen 27 Jan 2020 15:39:29 17,512 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It would be nice to give them to someone who might get some use out of them. I've just searched for an option to properly recycle but companies that do this only seem to cater for organisations that are getting rid of loads of machines at a time.

Could do eBay i guess, though it opens up the possibility of them being bought by one of the millions of twonks who have no idea how to read descriptions or understand words etc.
  • SamNunn92 27 Jan 2020 16:17:24 902 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you've a local Freecycle group near you it might be worth putting them up on there. Old laptops/PC parts pop up on ours quite often and they always seem to go.
  • Not-a-reviewer 27 Jan 2020 16:47:22 6,186 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There are loads of charities. Here is one: https://weeecharity.co.uk/
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.