Famitsu scores, 31/01/07

  • Blerk Moderator 31 Jan 2007 09:38:59 48,222 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Blimey, what happened here, then? Some of the lowest scores I've seen 'em give in a long time? Someone pissed in their tea, perhaps? Or are advertising budgets low so soon after Christmas? :-D

    Virtua Fighter 5 (PS3, Sega): 9 / 9 / 9 / 8 - (35/40)
    Cooking Mama: Minna to Issho ni Oryouri Taikai! (Wii, Taito): 6 / 8 / 8 / 7 - (29/40)
    OutRun2 Special Tour (PSP, Sega): 7 / 7 / 6 / 6 - (26/40)
    Fuzion Frenzy 2 (Xbox 360, Microsoft): 4 / 5 / 5 / 5 - (19/40)
    Jet Impulse (NDS, Nintendo): 7 / 7 / 7 / 7 - (28/40)
    Luminous Arc (NDS, Marvelous): 8 / 7 / 7 / 6 - (28/40)
    Medal of Honor Heroes (PSP, EA): 7 / 8 / 8 / 7 - (30/40)
    New Rainbow Island: Hurdy Gurdy Daibouken (PSP, Marvelous): 4 / 4 / 4 / 4 - (16/40)
  • Gori 31 Jan 2007 09:41:59 525 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Blimey, what happened here, then? Some of the lowest scores I've seen 'em give in a long time? Someone pissed in their tea, perhaps? Or are advertising budgets low so soon after Christmas? :-D

    I was hoping more from that cooking mama.

    But then again: VF5, yay!
  • Blerk Moderator 31 Jan 2007 09:44:09 48,222 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Apparently VF5 is another game with a 'partial HDD install' feature to remove the loading times, according to GameFront. There - two stories in one. Never say I don't give you value for money.
  • itamae 31 Jan 2007 09:45:23 10,210 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Shame about Luminous Arc. The screenshots I've seen recently looked lovely.
  • HiddenAway 31 Jan 2007 09:53:57 15,147 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cooking Mama: Minna to Issho ni Oryouri Taikai! (Wii, Taito)

    Yikes, I was looking at that last night and it looked pretty good (got hardware troubles though, like "where do I get one?" ;-) )

    Edited by HiddenAway at 09:54:13 31-01-2007
  • Onny 31 Jan 2007 10:43:45 5,695 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    rotj wrote:
    Might have to give VF5 a shot, even though I'm not usually the biggest beat 'em up fan in the world...
    Then you won't like it much. It's the most hardcore fighting series ever made.
  • MadMirko 31 Jan 2007 15:06:51 2,974 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    itamae wrote:
    Shame about Luminous Arc. The screenshots I've seen recently looked lovely.

    Argh, people like you are to blame for review score inflation! 7/10 is supposed to be a good score, darnit.
  • Derblington 31 Jan 2007 15:30:08 31,166 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    rotj wrote:
    Might have to give VF5 a shot, even though I'm not usually the biggest beat 'em up fan in the world...
    But you won't have a PS3 to play it on, properly...
  • JonFE 31 Jan 2007 15:47:23 1,866 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    rotj wrote:
    Might have to give VF5 a shot, even though I'm not usually the biggest beat 'em up fan in the world...
    But you won't have a PS3 to play it on, properly...

    What exactly do you mean by "properly"?
  • ilmaestro 31 Jan 2007 15:48:57 32,924 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    MadMirko wrote:
    itamae wrote:
    Shame about Luminous Arc. The screenshots I've seen recently looked lovely.

    Argh, people like you are to blame for review score inflation! 7/10 is supposed to be a good score, darnit.
    Except that when it comes to Famitsu, it's the very literal definition of average.
  • MadMirko 31 Jan 2007 15:54:47 2,974 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    MadMirko wrote:
    Argh, people like you are to blame for review score inflation! 7/10 is supposed to be a good score, darnit.
    Except that when it comes to Famitsu, it's the very literal definition of average.

    Maybe, maybe not, doesn't matter. If a a scale is from 1 to 10, 5 is average. If people assume 7 is the average, some magazines will score that way.

    That makes an already questionable scoring system even more useless.
  • nickthegun 31 Jan 2007 15:56:30 75,585 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    rotj wrote:
    Might have to give VF5 a shot, even though I'm not usually the biggest beat 'em up fan in the world...
    But you won't have a PS3 to play it on, properly...

    Seriously, ive got him on ignore for a reason. Winners dont quote rotj.
  • Syneisha 31 Jan 2007 15:57:40 104 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    When did Famitsu scores become reliable again?
  • MadMirko 31 Jan 2007 15:58:42 2,974 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    They didn't, I was taking broad sweeps at gaming journalism in general. :)

    Edited by MadMirko at 15:59:03 31-01-2007
  • Deleted user 31 January 2007 16:10:07
    Is OutRun2 Special Tour the japanese name of Coast 2 Coast?
  • ilmaestro 31 Jan 2007 16:14:12 32,924 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    MadMirko wrote:
    ilmaestro wrote:
    MadMirko wrote:
    Argh, people like you are to blame for review score inflation! 7/10 is supposed to be a good score, darnit.
    Except that when it comes to Famitsu, it's the very literal definition of average.

    Maybe, maybe not, doesn't matter. If a a scale is from 1 to 10, 5 is average. If people assume 7 is the average, some magazines will score that way.

    That makes an already questionable scoring system even more useless.
    No, seriously, it's the average score that Famitsu gives. It was last year and the year before, anyway. If you consider that 0, 1 and 2 basically don't exist on their scale, and that the average they give is actually in the 6.8-6.9 range, it even starts to make sense from your point of view.
  • Introspectre 31 Jan 2007 16:14:54 3,274 posts
    Registered 12 years ago
    I do hope SEGA have improved the punchy and kicky noises for VF5... That would be nice.
  • Retroid Moderator 31 Jan 2007 16:21:25 45,456 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Luminous Arc (NDS, Marvelous): 8 / 7 / 7 / 6 - (28/40)
    The long-awaited pissing contest game?
  • MadMirko 31 Jan 2007 18:47:01 2,974 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    No, seriously, it's the average score that Famitsu gives. It was last year and the year before, anyway. If you consider that 0, 1 and 2 basically don't exist on their scale, and that the average they give is actually in the 6.8-6.9 range, it even starts to make sense from your point of view.

    It's really fucked up, I know. As I said, the whole "score" thing is bollocks for me anyway, but opting for a range and then using only 40% of it is just... yeah. A recent post on Penny Arcade said regarding this matter:

    I often find that I agree with the bodytext of a given piece and then once I arrive at the distilled score there's no way to derive it from the original work. This is because while the body includes useful, interesting information and perspective the score is often used to cement the review in the overall editorial philosophy. Scores are ridiculous and facile, and they are insulting to the reader - they say in clear terms that you are incapable of discerning the meaning of the text above or below. But publishers need those succinct scores, and the sites need the publishers' money, so if you want to know what keeps things this way there you have it.


    I guess that hits the nail on the head. :(
  • ilmaestro 31 Jan 2007 19:45:23 32,924 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, I couldn't disagree with you. It's an industry wide problem, I remember someone even worked out the average score that EDGE had given in its history and that was over 6, even with EDGE's rep for harsh reviewing.
  • Syneisha 31 Jan 2007 19:55:48 104 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Possibly because Edge and it's paper based betherin only review a select few games each month?

    I'm sure the average would be lower for many sites/magazines if they reviewed every single game that came out every year.
  • ilmaestro 31 Jan 2007 20:10:07 32,924 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Whilst that is undeniably true, EDGE has never been known to only select the best games to review. Their remit is provide a wide spectrum of games in their reviews, and at the very least they used to revel in reviewing bad games as much as exceptional ones.
  • Deleted user 22 May 2007 14:49:57
    Post deleted
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.