John Carpenter - Underrated Film Genius...Or As Crap As Lucas? Page 2

  • semprini 12 Feb 2007 12:27:38 3,144 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Thing, Big Trouble, and Halloween are the only three Carpenter films I own on DVD. All very good in their own way.

    As for Kevin Costner, how could you not mention his only outstanding film, Dances With Wolves?

    Not sure if I have a favourite director particularly. Quite a few I like though.

    Christopher Nolan has had some great ones; Memento, Batman Begins and the Prestige I all really enjoyed. Insomnia was okay.

    Ridley Scott's films I enjoy (Alien, Blade Runner, Gladiator, Hannibal, Black Hawk Down), but looking at his list I haven't actually seen that many. Haven't seen 'A Good Year' yet, but supposed to be quite good.

    Darren Aronofsky has only done three films, but I liked Pi and Requiem For A Dream. Only just seen his latest one The Fountain in cinema, it was quite good, interesting, and pretty weird.

    I suppose the director with the best track record could be Hayao Miyazaki, as there's rarely a film I don't enjoy. Totoro, Mononoke and Spritied Away are all amazing, plus Laputa, Cagliostro, Nausica, Kiki's, and Howl's are all good too :-)
  • Tonka 12 Feb 2007 12:32:56 29,526 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    semprini wrote:
    As for Kevin Costner, how could you not mention his only outstanding film, Dances With Wolves?

    I don't like it is all.
  • Beats 12 Feb 2007 12:33:30 303 posts
    Registered 13 years ago
    I liked Halloween, The Thing, Assault on Precinct 13, Big Trouble in Little China but the rest of his films are pretty rubbish IMO.

    The Fog was one of the films I really wanted to see and then when I did see it I was very disappointed. The remake was even worse. The AOP13 remake was very good though, even though it was by the guy who did Training Day, wasn't it? Not Carpenter.
  • semprini 12 Feb 2007 12:33:54 3,144 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Fair enough :-)

    Haven't actually seen The Postman, but Open Range was pretty good.
  • Tiger_Walts 12 Feb 2007 12:38:57 16,674 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Tsk, no mention of Dark Star?

    Surely one of the best student films ever.
  • President_Weasel 12 Feb 2007 12:43:15 12,355 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I love Assault on Precinct 13. Sure, it's flawed, but it's still watchable today - and that soundtrack is a work of minimalist, techno genius years before its time.
    I heard the soundtrack was only like that because JC couldn't afford to do a proper one, but I can't imagine a 'proper' soundtrack being better than the existing one. I also heard that it didn't get much respect when it came out in the States, and it was only after us Europeans pointed out that it was good that the Yanks noticed.
    (It is entirely possible I 'heard' this stuff by reading imbd or somewhere equally obvious, by the way)

    Dances with Wolves is nearly a great film. There's a great film in there, but it's sharing the space with an overlong message movie.
  • Grunk 12 Feb 2007 12:52:49 4,717 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    manuel_garcia wrote:
    Halloween, The Thing and Big Trouble in little China are all great films. Only three though and no genuine classic there...

    How can it not be a classic,

    blokes with bread baskets on their heads chucking lightening around, Kim Cattaral actually looking good for a change, Kurt Russel with Big Truck, and a monster that makes a cameo appearance.

    One thing Jack burton used to say is...

    Who?

    Jack Burton, Me
  • PearOfAnguish 12 Feb 2007 13:02:12 7,573 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I likes me some Paul Verhoven, he's made three of the best sci-fi movies ever. Ultra-violent and action-packed on the surface, but with a deeper message in there too. It's not even a hidden message either, part of the fun of Starship Troopers and Robocop is that the subtext is shoved right in your face.

    James Cameron has a good track record. Titanic is rubbish but the rest of his output is pretty excellent. Avatar and Battle Angel Alita have a lot of potential.
  • Tonka 12 Feb 2007 13:20:09 29,526 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @semprini. It's a real marmite movie though so be warned. If you saw Waterworld and wished that they had cut down on the action then Postman might be for you.
  • JuanKerr 12 Feb 2007 16:07:38 37,710 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I like David Fincher, although Alien3 wasn't that great ....
  • caligari 12 Feb 2007 16:08:39 17,945 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    I like David Fincher, although Alien3 wasn't that great ....

    Terminalterror will slay you for saying that. ;) I actually quite like Alien 3...but then I hate Fight Club, so whaddaIknow?
  • caligari 12 Feb 2007 16:09:48 17,945 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    semprini wrote:

    I suppose the director with the best track record could be Hayao Miyazaki, as there's rarely a film I don't enjoy. Totoro, Mononoke and Spritied Away are all amazing, plus Laputa, Cagliostro, Nausica, Kiki's, and Howl's are all good too :-)


    Which reminds me...I have Cagliostro on DVD (noice Christmas present from a friend) but I still haven't watched it. Convince me that it's worth watching.
  • JuanKerr 12 Feb 2007 16:10:21 37,710 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:
    I like David Fincher, although Alien3 wasn't that great ....

    Terminalterror will slay you for saying that. ;) I actually quite like Alien 3...but then I hate Fight Club, so whaddaIknow?

    You hate Fight Club? I think you're the first person I've ever heard say that! What about Seven? Surely you must have liked that ...
  • Deleted user 12 February 2007 16:11:25
    In terms of mainstream films I think Kubrick (as much as you can call him mainstram) imho didn't make anything but great films, although I'm aware that people don't generally like some of them.

    If you start getting a bit more leftfield then there are many who haven't made bad films, Almodovar and Lars Von Treer off the top of my head.
  • caligari 12 Feb 2007 16:12:49 17,945 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    caligari wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:
    I like David Fincher, although Alien3 wasn't that great ....

    Terminalterror will slay you for saying that. ;) I actually quite like Alien 3...but then I hate Fight Club, so whaddaIknow?

    You hate Fight Club? I think you're the first person I've ever heard say that! What about Seven? Surely you must have liked that ...

    Hnnn, Seven is pretty cool too (although it isn't exactly a 'fun' movie to sit through again and again). It's just his flashy visual tricks...they annoy the hell out of me. Strange but true.

    edit: Who is this JuanKerr? I have a feeling that he's a reg in disguise.

    Edited by caligari at 16:13:41 12-02-2007
  • Hunam 12 Feb 2007 16:14:17 20,673 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    In terms of mainstream films I think Kubrick (as much as you can call him mainstram) imho didn't make anything but great films, although I'm aware that people don't generally like some of them.

    If you start getting a bit more leftfield then there are many who haven't made bad films, Almodovar and Lars Von Treer off the top of my head.
    Eh? Clockwork Orange was terrible as was Eyes Wide Shut.

    Clockwork Orange is a masterpiece.

    Leave. Now.
  • Deleted user 12 February 2007 16:14:49
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    In terms of mainstream films I think Kubrick (as much as you can call him mainstram) imho didn't make anything but great films, although I'm aware that people don't generally like some of them.

    If you start getting a bit more leftfield then there are many who haven't made bad films, Almodovar and Lars Von Treer off the top of my head.
    Eh? Clockwork Orange was terrible as was Eyes Wide Shut.

    (Incorrect) opinions were not taken into account when making my post :p
  • Deleted user 12 February 2007 16:15:31
    Yes it is.
  • caligari 12 Feb 2007 16:16:25 17,945 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    I likes me some Paul Verhoven,

    Total Recall and Robocop are frickin' amazing...but then he DID go on to make Show Girls. :s
  • Deleted user 12 February 2007 16:18:22
    caligari wrote:
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    I likes me some Paul Verhoven,

    Total Recall and Robocop are frickin' amazing...but then he DID go on to make Show Girls. :s

    Show Girls isn't that bad. It's bad yeah, but it really isn't meant to be taken seriously, and is a lot better once you realise that. Hollow Man is shocking though.
  • bloke 12 Feb 2007 16:21:59 1,490 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    President Weasel wrote:
    I love Assault on Precinct 13. Sure, it's flawed, but it's still watchable today - and that soundtrack is a work of minimalist, techno genius years before its time.
    I heard the soundtrack was only like that because JC couldn't afford to do a proper one, but I can't imagine a 'proper' soundtrack being better than the existing one.

    At this point, I butt in to mention the game trivia point that JC did the music for 'Sentinel Returns' - and a damn fine job he did of it too.
  • Tonka 12 Feb 2007 16:23:27 29,526 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    caligari wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:
    I like David Fincher, although Alien3 wasn't that great ....

    Terminalterror will slay you for saying that. ;) I actually quite like Alien 3...but then I hate Fight Club, so whaddaIknow?

    You hate Fight Club? I think you're the first person I've ever heard say that! What about Seven? Surely you must have liked that ...

    Panic Room.
  • James-Caldari 12 Feb 2007 16:25:48 2,103 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Fog and The Thing are both in my Top 10 films of all time. I think I must be the only person who believes The Fog is his best work. The atmosphere in that film is incredible... so oppressive. The remake totally gets it wrong, and symbolises all that's wrong with a remake (fake-looking cgi images of an island do not make for a good atmosphere).

    I didn't think much of Halloween though. I think it's because I saw it after Friday the 13th et al... so it kinda lost it's impact (despite being the 'original' slasher pic).
  • JuanKerr 12 Feb 2007 16:39:25 37,710 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:
    caligari wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:
    I like David Fincher, although Alien3 wasn't that great ....

    Terminalterror will slay you for saying that. ;) I actually quite like Alien 3...but then I hate Fight Club, so whaddaIknow?

    You hate Fight Club? I think you're the first person I've ever heard say that! What about Seven? Surely you must have liked that ...

    Hnnn, Seven is pretty cool too (although it isn't exactly a 'fun' movie to sit through again and again). It's just his flashy visual tricks...they annoy the hell out of me. Strange but true.

    edit: Who is this JuanKerr? I have a feeling that he's a reg in disguise.

    Edited by caligari at 16:13:41 12-02-2007

    Trust me, I'm not a 'reg' (I don't even know what that is to be honest).
  • JuanKerr 12 Feb 2007 16:40:44 37,710 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Every director has a few shite films.

    Edgar Wright is my favourite at the moment.
  • soylent_grey 12 Feb 2007 16:46:47 73 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Every director has a few shite films.

    Edgar Wright is my favourite at the moment.

    Ironically, Edgar Wright hasn't got any shit films...

    here's hoping Hot Fuzz doesn't prove me wrong!
  • JuanKerr 12 Feb 2007 16:50:17 37,710 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    soylent_grey wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Every director has a few shite films.

    Edgar Wright is my favourite at the moment.

    Ironically, Edgar Wright hasn't got any shit films...

    here's hoping Hot Fuzz doesn't prove me wrong!

    Indeed, but I don't really think he counts because Shaun of the Dead is his only film (until this Wednesday).

    I agree - I'm praying that Hot Fuzz is good. I've heard nothing but good thingsa about it, so I'm pretty confident it will be great.

    Apparently, he and Simon Pegg have already started writing a third film because they want to make a trilogy of British action films.
  • PearOfAnguish 12 Feb 2007 16:54:59 7,573 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    James Caldari wrote:
    I didn't think much of Halloween though. I think it's because I saw it after Friday the 13th et al... so it kinda lost it's impact (despite being the 'original' slasher pic).

    The problem with Halloween is that the horror genre is, generally, now so cliched that everything has been done a million times by other movies, so it seems less impressive. Take the ending for example, quite innovative and shocking at the time, now its a tired cliche.
  • Scimarad 12 Feb 2007 17:14:28 9,606 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Gollum860 wrote:
    How about a bit of In the Mouth of Madness?

    H.P. Lovecraft influences? Sam Neill covered in marker-penned crosses? Charlton Heston!

    Powerful Stuff.

    I'd love to get that film on DVD but I just cannot find it...
  • JuanKerr 12 Feb 2007 17:16:43 37,710 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anyone else really like Robert Rodriguez? I know he's no Kubrick, but for consistently churning out quality entertainment, he's pretty damn good.

    Sin City was the bollocks.

    Edited by JuanKerr at 17:17:12 12-02-2007
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.