John Carpenter - Underrated Film Genius...Or As Crap As Lucas? Page 12

Next Last
  • YenRug 24 Oct 2017 18:32:44 4,553 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    Need to watch The Thing again. Hoping the game is made BC on Xbox
    This is a new remaster from Arrow Films, collector's edition in this particular case, the standard edition is coming out in November:

https://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1024

• Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative, supervised and approved by director John Carpenter and director of photography Dean Cundey
    • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
    • Original Mono and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
    *Slight omission by them here, it also includes a 4.1 soundtrack taken from the 6-channel soundtrack found on the 70mm version of the film*
    • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    • Audio commentary by John Carpenter and actor Kurt Russell
    • Who Goes There? In Search of The Thing an all-new feature length documentary produced by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures exploring the history of The Thing, from the original novella to John Carpenter's terrifying science fiction classic. Featuring new interviews with the cast and crew, as well as authors, historians, and critics
    • 1982: One Amazing Summer an all-new retrospective documentary produced by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures about the unforgettable films released in the summer of 1982
    • John Carpenter's The Thing: Terror Takes Shape archive documentary on the background and production of the film
    • Vintage Featurettes
    • Outtakes
    • Behind-the-scenes
    • Trailers, Teasers, TV and Radio Spots
    • Still Galleries
    • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gary Pullin
  • YenRug 24 Oct 2017 18:42:12 4,553 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Fuck me that thumb'd give Riv a run for his money!
    It's not that weird, I was just using the heel of my thumb to hold the blu-ray box whilst using the tip to hold the CD. Non-gripping pic below:

• anephric 24 Oct 2017 18:53:40 3,030 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If you want the standard edition of the new Arrow Blu-ray of The Thing, it's already out now in Sainsbury's as a timed exclusive.
  • anephric 24 Oct 2017 18:54:25 3,030 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    PS I like your Tron poster.
  • mrpon 24 Oct 2017 19:06:37 34,928 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Alright Edward Sausagehands, it's not weird.
  • YenRug 24 Oct 2017 20:09:16 4,553 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    If you want the standard edition of the new Arrow Blu-ray of The Thing, it's already out now in Sainsbury's as a timed exclusive.
    Ah, I wasn't aware of that, I managed to nab the collector's edition at the time of announcement, but Arrow had seriously underestimated the level of interest and their website went down for three days under the strain of people trying to buy it directly from them. Annoyingly, I had it in my basket and ready to checkout, was going to use some of my reward points to reduce the price even further, but when I hit the checkout button I just got an error message saying the site was unavailable, ended up having to order it on Amazon who were listing it at £29.99 at the time.

Arrow also did a steelbook edition, which was annoying as it would have been nice to have the two combined in the one package. They often wait a month or two before releasing their standard editions, so I took the listed November release date on their site as gospel.

The TRON poster is actually a canvas print that I had made from a scan I took of my actual cinema quad poster, 600 dpi scan of a 30" x 40" poster, ended up hitting the 1GB mark as a compressed TIF file; wasn't a lot of software that could handle that file size, so had to turn it into a 300dpi JPG for the printing company that did it.
  • beastmaster 24 Oct 2017 22:05:24 18,915 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Got the special edition and the steelbook and have put the steelbook in the special edition packaging. Win!

John Carpenter was a brilliant director. Even his not so successful stuff was interesting.

Big Trouble in Little China is in my top 5 films of all time.

Edited by beastmaster at 22:05:38 24-10-2017

Edited by beastmaster at 22:06:05 24-10-2017
  • Deleted user 25 October 2017 10:41:43
    @YenRug Really love Arrow's collector's editions, they go all out to make them look nice. Got the Phenomena and Donnie Darko CEs and they're both lovely, and got The Thing on preorder too, although Amazon haven't dispatched mine yet.

Incidentally they seem to release all the Dario Argento remasters, but they're not doing the Suspiria one, which I was looking forward to. Amazon are taking preorders for a special edition from Cult Films, not sure if it'll be any good but got my order in anyway.
  • creepiest-lizard 25 Oct 2017 12:02:40 592 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think The Thing might be, not just my favourite horror film, but just overall favourite film of all time, closely followed by eastwoods Unforgiven.
    The Thing is just note perfect. The atmosphere, The script, the performances and, Oh god, the music.
    I never did see the recent prequel though. Any good?
  • millerlfc 25 Oct 2017 12:21:02 588 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The prequel is just a bang-average monster-horror film.

One of the big problems is all the crappy CGI was added at the last minute to replace all the physical special effects. Which is bizarre, considering all the fans of the original (like me) would have been quite happy with physical effects.

Oh, and they reshot the ending at the last minute as well which probably didn't help.
  • creepiest-lizard 25 Oct 2017 12:43:49 592 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @millerlfc

Ah, the curse of the CGI in a horror film. CGI is great in it's place, and certain things can't even be shot without it, I would imagine(as in, most superhero movies), and its' great but when will studios realise that for horror films involving weird monsters and fucked up shit, real physical effects always look better. Your brain just knows when something is tactile and actually real.
    That's why all my favourite horror films of recently have eschewed CGI for the most part and stuck with actual effects.
    Having said that, some great horror films recently didn't even need many effects. Get out and Green room are great examples of that, I think
  • Pierre2k 25 Oct 2017 13:43:36 1,079 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Thing really is an absolute classic in every sense. It's a great horror movie, a great sci-fi movie, is filled with suspense and paranoia, and has amazing special effects.

I picked up the HD-DVD of it a few years ago and the HD transfer is also worth a mention. To this day it's one of the best looking catalogue titles I've ever seen in HD. It just looks beautiful, especially considering its age (I assume the Blu-ray is just as impressive). If anyone is worried about whether there is any benefit in having a copy in HD, don't be, it's stunning!
  • Deleted user 25 October 2017 16:12:45
    I think Carpenter can be placed alongside a number of directors who have a few classics under their belts, but then churned out utter shit. Francis Ford Coppola springs to mind straight away. I'd even fling Ridley Scott in there, as for me his stock has dipped into the abyss.
    Anyway for me Carpenter is the master of suspense & tension, alongside his signature soundtracks. The slow build up, without revealing too much is something that is sometimes forgotten within modern horror film. He's definitely one director I can go back to consistently and have a huge smile on my face after seeing some of his classics. We just don't mention Ghosts of Mars, Vampires etc ;)

Also In The Mouth of Madness. Underrated classic.
  • Khanivor 25 Oct 2017 17:10:30 43,951 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I’ve been thinking of curing my four year old daughter’s current fear of zombies, witches and vampires by popping this in instead of Rio or Totoro the next time she’s round.
  • anephric 25 Oct 2017 18:11:06 3,030 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    GarlVinland wrote:Incidentally they seem to release all the Dario Argento remasters, but they're not doing the Suspiria one, which I was looking forward to. Amazon are taking preorders for a special edition from Cult Films, not sure if it'll be any good but got my order in anyway.
    Cult Films blu-ray will be based on the TLE master that's already come out on blu in Germany and Italy, it won't be Synapse's tinkered-with remaster, that's for the US only.

The TLE master is decent - it's not as colourful as the high-contrast Synapse one looks to be, but still very nice.
  • YenRug 25 Oct 2017 19:09:19 4,553 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pierre2k wrote:
    The Thing really is an absolute classic in every sense. It's a great horror movie, a great sci-fi movie, is filled with suspense and paranoia, and has amazing special effects.

I picked up the HD-DVD of it a few years ago and the HD transfer is also worth a mention. To this day it's one of the best looking catalogue titles I've ever seen in HD. It just looks beautiful, especially considering its age (I assume the Blu-ray is just as impressive). If anyone is worried about whether there is any benefit in having a copy in HD, don't be, it's stunning!
    As I mentioned, already, the new Arrow release is a new master:

• Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative, supervised and approved by director John Carpenter and director of photography Dean Cundey
    I believe all previous HD releases were from interpositives.

AVForums review is particularly glowing:

https://www.avforums.com/review/the-thing-remastered-blu-ray-disc-review.14021

Whether you already own it or not, you simply have to pick this set up.
  • Baihu1983 25 Oct 2017 20:44:50 10,623 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Might have to pick that up
  • millerlfc 25 Oct 2017 22:10:27 588 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @creepiest-lizard It was particularly odd with The Thing prequel as during production they heavily promoted the fact it was all going to be physical effects, and that's what was attracting all the horror fans. They actually filmed it all and had a cut ready, then at the last minute the studio obviously panicked, ignored all the work (and money) that had gone into the physical effects and spent a load more money on CGI to cover it all up. Not enhance the effects, literally replace them completely.

I'd actually love to see a cut with the CGI cut out and physical effects restored, think it could really elevate the film.
  • beastmaster 26 Oct 2017 00:33:40 18,915 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Annnnddd...he's directing again!

http://www.slashfilm.com/john-carpenter-coming-out-of-retirement-for-tales-for-a-halloween-night-tv-pilot/
  • YenRug 26 Oct 2017 03:55:31 4,553 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sounds like they're going with the concept briefly explored with Halloween III: Season of the Witch, stories centred around Halloween itself rather than Michael Myers.
  • Tonka 26 Oct 2017 11:14:15 28,854 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    millerlfc wrote:
    I'd actually love to see a cut with the CGI cut out and physical effects restored, think it could really elevate the film.
    For fans of practical effects I strongly recommend "John Dies at the End"
  • Jyzzy-Z 26 Oct 2017 11:15:46 3,725 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @millerlfc I would love to see that too.
  • beastmaster 9 Sep 2018 15:04:29 18,915 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Looks as though most of his horror films are getting the 4K treatment in time for Halloween.

Speaking of which, the new film has now been shown at TIFF and from what I’ve read so far, they’ve aced it. Really delivers. This is excellent news.
  • SnackPlissken 9 Sep 2018 19:31:51 596 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Hang on... Danny McBride is credited as doing the screenplay. Bizzare. I'm intrigued anyway. I must admit from being a big Carpenter fan that Halloween wasn't one I went back to as much as say The Thing.
  • Baihu1983 9 Sep 2018 20:54:12 10,623 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @SnackPlissken Yeah him and 2 others wrote it including the director.
  • Theshape80 9 Sep 2018 22:08:02 109 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Carpenter also returns to score the new Halloween. Critics loved it! Halloween can’t come soon enough.
  • cov 10 Sep 2018 08:00:29 1,892 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just watched the two rob zombie ones... good God :(
  • SnackPlissken 23 Nov 2018 13:14:39 596 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Watched Escape From New York in 4K at the cinema. Very impressive! Although the sound seemed a little off... Anyway well worth buying the upgrade.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.