Following The Hip-Hop Appreciation Thread Page 195

Next Last
  • 8bitMofo 5 May 2019 00:47:54 698 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mfqsEpjEtrw

Another one of Logics life goals ticked off the list.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 13 May 2019 16:10:10 15,723 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Had the pleasure of attending Gods of Rap on Friday - De La Soul, Public Enemy and Wu-Tang, plus DJ Premier doings sets in between.

Unfortunately we missed De La who were on stupidly early thanks to very long queues and airport levels of security, but I've seen them twice before so wasn't too arsed.

Public Enemy were great. Flava Flav wasn't there and of course was missed as he's a huge part of their sound, but Chuck D is an amazing live performer and they did a really great set.

I was really worried about how many top tier Wu-Tang members would show as they have a bad reputation for sending z-lists out for live gigs, but it was pretty much a full group. Method Man was the only omission from the original line-up apart from ODB, and they even sent out his son to replace him (who is imaginatively called YDB). They were also great and Ghostface, Raekwon and RZA are all amazing performers. It was also really upbeat and positive as a performance, which somehow didn't seem characteristic of them but it was a nice surprise. They were clearly enjoying it and it rubbed off on the crowd.

And Primo was the bonus of the night doing loads of crowd participation, toying with expectations, cutting stuff up, and playing a ton of Ganstarr. All in all it was a brilliant night, although I still can't hear properly.
  • ejayem 13 May 2019 16:13:46 136 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @You-can-call-me-kal Green with envy would be an understatement. The footage I've seen seemed like it was a special night and one of the standout Hip-Hop shows in the UK for a few years.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 13 May 2019 16:24:20 15,723 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It was awesome :)
  • smoothpete 13 May 2019 16:24:49 35,755 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm glad it was good. Live hiphop can be such a let down sometimes
  • You-can-call-me-kal 13 May 2019 16:42:44 15,723 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    I'm glad it was good. Live hiphop can be such a let down sometimes
    Yeah, usually big venue gigs in particular. I really didn't fancy Wembley Arena for this to work as it's a terrible venue, and to be honest it easily could have been awful, but it worked because the acts and fans were all so clearly hyped. It made up for the limitations of the venue (which are significant).
  • ModoX 17 May 2019 11:26:33 3,477 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is anyone watching the Kenny Beats videos? I've enjoyed them all but Zack Fox is hilarious... "I want a beat that sounds like I pissed myself but I'm wearing corduroys so it's ok."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSSLqHJzy6Y
  • smoothpete 19 May 2019 07:07:14 35,755 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    2 hour mix of DJ Premier tracks for your Sunday enjoyment

https://www.mixcloud.com/brooklynradio/the-stick-up-100-dj-premier/
  • FrostPan 20 May 2019 10:20:25 1,601 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I like the new Tyler The Creator record
  • ModoX 20 May 2019 12:17:49 3,477 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @FrostPan yeah it's very good, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. The new Injury Reserve album came out the same day which is also excellent.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.