Chris Cornell has left Audioslave...

    First Previous
  • ElectricDemon 16 Feb 2007 23:32:19 2,415 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Linky

    Pity, I rather liked Audioslave, and I don't really see them continuing without him, especially with the recent RATM news :(

    Ah well, with RATM reformed for that festival in America, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for maybe some new stuff or at least a tour!
  • Deleted user 16 February 2007 23:33:00
    He did the vocals on that rather inocuous Casino Royale theme, didn't he?
  • ElectricDemon 16 Feb 2007 23:38:46 2,415 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    He did the vocals on that rather inocuous Casino Royale theme, didn't he?
    Yeah, "You Know My Name".

    I think he has a cool voice, it's a really good general rock voice
  • Deleted user 16 February 2007 23:41:13
    ElectricDemon wrote:
    Owen-B wrote:
    He did the vocals on that rather inocuous Casino Royale theme, didn't he?
    Yeah, "You Know My Name".

    I think he has a cool voice, it's a really good general rock voice
    Yeah that's just it. It's a really good 'general' rock voice. Could have been anyone singing. Well, my gf recognised the voice so I guess it couldn't have been anyone but, well, I thought it was as 'meh' as the film was.
  • Dougs 16 Feb 2007 23:43:15 89,122 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The title track itself was a bit meh, but when the score was applied to the same song, it really worked imo
  • ElectricDemon 16 Feb 2007 23:46:10 2,415 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've still not seen Casino Royale, is it out on DVD yet? Got some Blockbusters vouchers the other day I could put to good use....
  • Dougs 16 Feb 2007 23:48:47 89,122 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    ElectricDemon wrote:
    I've still not seen Casino Royale, is it out on DVD yet? Got some Blockbusters vouchers the other day I could put to good use....

    Not quite, soon though. I loved it, very different to a normal Bond, but great stuff all the same. If you ignore product placement....
  • Hunam85 16 Feb 2007 23:54:35 4,114 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Thank god.

    Audioslave were abit pap.
  • Dragul 17 Feb 2007 00:06:22 5,536 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hunam85 wrote:
    Thank god.

    Audioslave were abit pap.

    Yep... compared with RATm they where doggy poo... IMHO any way...
  • Roarer 17 Feb 2007 00:08:42 734 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    FINALLY.

    Maybe the rest of the band can find a decent singer and make some good music again.

    And please, don't bring back Zach. He was just marginally better.
  • Merlinho 17 Feb 2007 00:23:39 5,908 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So who did they make good music with, if not Zack or Cornell?
  • Roarer 17 Feb 2007 00:27:36 734 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Erm, good question. I'll get back to you with that one.


    No, seriously, they've never had a really good singer (IMO) but Zach's voice (and aggressiveness) was a better fit than Cornell (whose vocals basically ruined every song. Once again, IMO).

    Ideally then, they should find a decent singer.
  • warlockuk 17 Feb 2007 00:37:32 19,491 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I quite like Cornell's voice in Audioslave and in Soundgarden - he's got a unique-sounding voice. Or at least you can always hear him and go "Whoa, that's Chris Cornell!"

    Downside is it seems he can't do it live - every live recording of Audioslave I've heard his voice has sounded like shit. Same goes for what people have said who've seen him live, though i'll happily be corrected.

    *edit* Also isn't "irresolvable" not really a word?

    Edited by warlockuk at 00:44:42 17-02-2007
  • Heartcore_Ninja 17 Feb 2007 00:49:56 1,727 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Bring back Zach and RATM! RATM were one of my favourite bands- but never got to see them live. It would be great if they were to get back together.


    Edited by Heartcore_Ninja at 00:51:29 17-02-2007
  • warlockuk 17 Feb 2007 01:02:59 19,491 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If you read the article, RATM are back together :)
  • Roarer 17 Feb 2007 01:04:20 734 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    Downside is it seems he can't do it live - every live recording of Audioslave I've heard his voice has sounded like shit. Same goes for what people have said who've seen him live, though i'll happily be corrected.

    That goes for 95 % of all singers out there.

    There seems to be a widespread arrogance among (mostly pop/rock-) singers who seem to think that their voice is something God given and divine, something that comes naturally and needs no work in order to function. Well shit me a truckload, do you think your guitarist just learned to play guitar one day without any kind of practice at all?

    To actually sing well, every single time on every single performance, requires practice and vocal coaching. I doubt any pop/rock singers out there actually bothers.

    As much as I hate performance music (or whatever you may call it, musicals, operas, etc), at least those people know how to sing and how to nail their performances, every single time.
  • warlockuk 17 Feb 2007 01:42:25 19,491 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    What happened then?... I mean sure, he's 42, like... but still!
  • ProfessorLesser 17 Feb 2007 01:58:12 19,692 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I personally think 'You Know My Name' is one of the best Bond theme songs ever, for the record. It encapsulates so much of what Bond should be, across so many different epochs. And it just sounds Bondy, in the way that Goldeneye is now just a natural part of most James Bond arrangements.
  • Roarer 17 Feb 2007 02:43:55 734 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    hypernova wrote:
    Roarer wrote:
    warlockuk wrote:
    Downside is it seems he can't do it live - every live recording of Audioslave I've heard his voice has sounded like shit. Same goes for what people have said who've seen him live, though i'll happily be corrected.

    That goes for 95 % of all singers out there.

    There seems to be a widespread arrogance among (mostly pop/rock-) singers who seem to think that their voice is something God given and divine, something that comes naturally and needs no work in order to function. Well shit me a truckload, do you think your guitarist just learned to play guitar one day without any kind of practice at all?

    To actually sing well, every single time on every single performance, requires practice and vocal coaching. I doubt any pop/rock singers out there actually bothers.

    As much as I hate performance music (or whatever you may call it, musicals, operas, etc), at least those people know how to sing and how to nail their performances, every single time.

    Have you read the Soundgarden biography? Don't know about now, but back in the day, Chris Cornell trained like a fiend apparently.

    He probably did. My last post was pure conjecture based on the fact that most singers can't hold a note or carry a tune when performing live.

    It's probably also down to rock venues being incredibly ill-suited for acoustics not to mention a tendency for bands to try and sound as loud as possible, resulting in the singer screaming at the top of his lungs instead of actually singing.
  • Ampeg 18 Feb 2007 17:35:38 35 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Always thought Audioslave were much better live than on record. Saw them in Wolverhampton a couple of years ago and they really were great, played a great selection of Audioslave stuff with some RATM and Soundgarden numbers thrown in for good measure.

    If Cornells going to be free for a while im really, really hoping he'll pull his head out of his arse and get Soundgarden back together, theyre still one of my favourite bands and i would love to hear some new stuff.
  • Pirotic Moderator 18 Feb 2007 17:38:41 20,642 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Ampeg wrote:
    Always thought Audioslave were much better live than on record. Saw them in Wolverhampton a couple of years ago and they really were great, played a great selection of Audioslave stuff with some RATM and Soundgarden numbers thrown in for good measure.

    If Cornells going to be free for a while im really, really hoping he'll pull his head out of his arse and get Soundgarden back together, theyre still one of my favourite bands and i would love to hear some new stuff.

    He has a solo album out doesn't he? At least bittorrent said he did :p
  • Ampeg 18 Feb 2007 17:42:01 35 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, 'spose he'll be promoting that for a while but id love the chance to see Soundgarden again. Might give the new solo album a look though, havent listened to Euphoria Morning for a while but it wasnt too shabby as far as i remember.
  • Timmy 18 Feb 2007 17:53:26 9,208 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Audioslave and Velvet Revolver were nowhere near as good as Rage, Soundgarden, STP or G 'n' R's
  • Ecanem 18 Feb 2007 18:11:59 5,039 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I like Audioslave and RATM but apart from a few good tunes both bands have suffered from some weak song-writing and as much as I like his voice it also starts grating - he's at his best with the slow ballads, and I miss hearing the band doing some really heavy funky stuff..
  • Timmy 18 Feb 2007 18:16:39 9,208 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ecanem wrote:
    I like Audioslave and RATM but apart from a few good tunes both bands have suffered from some weak song-writing and as much as I like his voice it also starts grating - he's at his best with the slow ballads, and I miss hearing the band doing some really heavy funky stuff..

    'funky'? when?
  • Lukus 18 Feb 2007 18:19:38 21,931 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    ElectricDemon wrote:
    Owen-B wrote:
    He did the vocals on that rather inocuous Casino Royale theme, didn't he?
    Yeah, "You Know My Name".

    I think he has a cool voice, it's a really good general rock voice
    Yeah that's just it. It's a really good 'general' rock voice. Could have been anyone singing. Well, my gf recognised the voice so I guess it couldn't have been anyone but, well, I thought it was as 'meh' as the film was.
    That Bond song wasn't representative of the music typically done by Audioslave or Soundgarden (the latter being the superior of the two bands). Anyway, you're more into dirty breaks :p
  • Deleted user 18 February 2007 19:54:00
    RATM need to tour with the Beasties again.

    /nods lots
  • Ecanem 18 Feb 2007 19:56:46 5,039 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    They should get Maynard to be their singer. Then I might actually like them.

    No way, he should do more with Tool and APC! =)
  • First Previous
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.