The Podcast Recommendation Thread Page 10

• richarddavies 6 May 2019 08:52:02 8,208 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gossip mongers with Joe Wilkinson is a new one that is stupidly funny. Well worth checking out.
  • JoelStinty 6 May 2019 09:37:32 9,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Nahhh. It's funny but I admit to not getting beyond the second season as it becomes pretty repetitious.
    Yeah the first season is genuinely funny, the novelty of it makes it so. But i also binned it during the second season as it is just more of the same.
  • spindle9988 6 May 2019 10:08:29 5,218 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    "Quickly Kevin will be score" is a great podcast for 90's football fans.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 6 May 2019 12:11:34 17,425 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Current favourites for me are

Secret Dinosaur Cult (comedy, gender, sexuality and identity with Sofie Hagen)

Pappy's (soft relaunch as a weekly podcast which includes Flatshare Slamdown, standalone beefs and a general chat)

Pod Minutes To Cast Night (Two Minutes To Late Night spinoff where they mostly talk about bad metal albums)

Stone Clearing With Richard Herring (the ancient and lost art of stone clearing recorded in secret by Richard Herring)
  • TheSaint 6 May 2019 18:34:29 20,631 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Nahhh. It's funny but I admit to not getting beyond the second season as it becomes pretty repetitious.

My favourite recent podcast discovery has been Off Menu. Comedy where guests are asked to describe their perfect meal. It's pretty funny and a surprising amount of mileage.
    Yeah off menu is great. James Acaster, and Ed Gamble manage to talk about food without sounding like pretentious arseholes which is quite an achievement.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 6 May 2019 18:42:28 17,425 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm missing John Robins and Elis James at the moment. Can't wait for their 5Live shows start at the end of the month.
  • Deleted user 6 May 2019 20:17:05
    Against the Rules by Michael Lewis is worth a listen. It is ostensibly about referees. It is released by Pushkin Industries which is something to do with Malcolm Gladwell. His podcast is worth a listen too.
  • superdelphinus 7 May 2019 09:50:01 10,485 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Brian gittens and friends
  • Decks 7 May 2019 10:25:50 29,725 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Astonishing Legends is my current fave podcast. Two dudes take a deep dive into ancient and modern mysteries. It's super well researched and really informative.
    I've been listening to this off the back of year ago Nick's recommendation and it's pretty addictive. Although I have been cherry picking the more interesting sounding episodes rather than listening to it all.
  • David_Richardson 7 May 2019 20:28:59 1,323 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Has anybody else had difficulty downloading BBC podcasts on third-party apps since they introduced their own Sounds app? Seems too much of a coincidence.
  • nickthegun 7 May 2019 20:32:51 86,358 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Astonishing Legends is my current fave podcast. Two dudes take a deep dive into ancient and modern mysteries. It's super well researched and really informative.
    I've been listening to this off the back of year ago Nick's recommendation and it's pretty addictive. Although I have been cherry picking the more interesting sounding episodes rather than listening to it all.
    It's sometimes hard work if you're not that into the subject, but they do go balls deep into whatever they are looking at which usually makes up for it.

Glad you like it!
  • Decks 7 May 2019 22:31:54 29,725 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah just did the Dyatlov Pass one and I'm listening to the Mary Celeste one now. Any you remember being particularly good?
  • nickthegun 7 May 2019 22:45:30 86,358 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Skinwalker Ranch and The Mothman jump out. The Dyatlov Pass one is a really good one, I think there's a follow-up interview recently with a guy who is going back out there.

The one where they capture an EVP is pretty cool. They go a bit hardcore into the mechanics of it but the guy who recorded it seems to have genuinely shat his pants.

Edited by nickthegun at 23:13:46 07-05-2019
  • Decks 7 May 2019 22:49:03 29,725 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah was going to go with the Mothman one after this as one of guys keeps mentioning it. I'd skipped over the skinwalker one but I'll give it a listen. I love all this stupid shit.
  • nickthegun 7 May 2019 22:52:51 86,358 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The skinwalker one is crazy.
  • Deleted user 7 May 2019 23:07:18
    Ooo I love all things mystery. I'll have to check that out. Ive read a lot about the dyatlov pass incident. It's barmy.
  • Decks 10 May 2019 07:59:48 29,725 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @nickthegun the cheeseball "Message from our sponsers" are starting to get to me. They seem to be increasing in frequency with each episode.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 10 May 2019 08:29:36 33,757 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Hah, I started listening to this the last week and hit the same point yesterday. They are so grating.
  • nickthegun 10 May 2019 08:35:09 86,358 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    No such thing as a free lunch, m8s
  • Decks 10 May 2019 08:38:24 29,725 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Its how they segue into them as well, they catch me every time.

"You know Forrest, remember that time you had to go to the post office and with that big delivery."

"Yeah I do remember that Scott, remember that old lady backed into my car in the parking lot"

"Oh yeah that turned out to be an expensive trip"

"That's why I was so excited to learn about stamps.com"

"stamps.com"

"That's right stamps.com"
  • nickthegun 10 May 2019 08:59:25 86,358 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's a cross you have to bear for most podcasts. At least blue apron seems to have gone bang.
  • Decks 10 May 2019 09:02:55 29,725 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You know I tried Blue Apron last week, and let me tell you I was amazed with the results. The use the highest quality ingredients from the best local suppliers and as everyone knows great ingredients are key for great food. I was also really impressed with the range of meals they have on offer.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 10 May 2019 09:17:15 33,757 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    ...and they found the cow with it's anus completely removed with no blood to be seen anywhere. You know what else was removed without any blood to be seen, Scott? The hair on my face. Thanks to Harry's razors.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 May 2019 09:51:23 17,425 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Chris Jericho on Talk is Jericho always tries to make it sound like the adverts are part of the conversation even though the audio quality often shifts drastically.

It's kind of adorable.

Colt Cabana on Art of Wrrestling has made an art form of getting the ads in. They're almost catchphrases.

No Such Thing As A Fish make theirs entertaining too.

The absolute worst was Josie Long and her boyfriend on their baby/parenting podcast. Completely jarring and always very much a twattish hard sell.
  • Deleted user 10 May 2019 10:46:25
    I've been listening to the two true crime comedy podcasts named Small Town Murder and Crime in Sports with James pietragallo and Jimmy Whisman.

The latter looks at small town murder cases featuring degenerates, hillbillys and idiotic police offices. The latter looks at meteoric rise and falls from grace into unsuccessful crime careers of various athletes.

The hosts do a ton of research and present each case as a kind of a lecture. Pietragallo is the one who researches the cases and Jimmy asks questions to clarify pieces of information acting as an audience surrogate. If you give them a listen I would check out "Sexier than Coal in Jasper Alabama" for small town murder and the "Let Me Have you - The Beadedness of Jim Neidhart" for Crime in Sports.

Edited by whatfruitlivesagain at 10:46:55 10-05-2019
  • BinaryBob101 24 Aug 2019 19:31:49 27,755 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Joe Rogan x Beardyman

• fontgeeksogood 24 Aug 2019 22:45:14 12,913 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dude have you ever seen chimps? Bro they are jaaaaacked. They will fuck you up son! There was this article I read which I don't recall anything of value from, Jamie bring it up. Anyway, it's entirely possible
  • RawShark 25 Aug 2019 00:07:11 1,742 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Chris Jericho on Talk is Jericho always tries to make it sound like the adverts are part of the conversation even though the audio quality often shifts drastically.

It's kind of adorable.

Colt Cabana on Art of Wrrestling has made an art form of getting the ads in. They're almost catchphrases.

No Such Thing As A Fish make theirs entertaining too.

The absolute worst was Josie Long and her boyfriend on their baby/parenting podcast. Completely jarring and always very much a twattish hard sell.
    The Edge & Christian POA attempt to seamlessly integrate texting and driving PSAs was probably the worst offender Iíve heard so far. And they knew it. It made Jericho and Stone Cold look like masters of their craft.

Although I still enjoy it when Paul Smackage gets involved with the shills. Brother brother.
  • RawShark 25 Aug 2019 00:07:11 1,742 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Ocrovastru 25 Aug 2019 01:35:18 687 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Tomo The fairly recent radio x mat crosby and ed gamble podcast is excellent if you like off menu.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.