Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    I'd marry Neil Young to be fair.
    I heard old Neil put her down
  • GoatApocalypse 3 Nov 2018 10:37:47 5,323 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Citalopram is essentially like really, really shit ecstacy. I get this feeling like I'm coming up in waves throughout the day, but I never quite get there.

Must be what it feels like to have sex with me, hiiiiyooooooooo
  • danwilson12 3 Nov 2018 10:46:37 16 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Today i tried to visualize and meitate sort of that my dopamine receptors got.desinzitized, and it seems to work. Playing zelda botw seems.to be more fun now.
  • GoatApocalypse 5 Nov 2018 18:19:52 5,323 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Has anyone else had a lot of experience with citalopram? I find I'm veering wildly between a bit of a high and a bit of a low. Sometimes the highs and lows can be fairly extreme; started having the odd (fleeting) thought of harming myself, for example.

It's under control at the moment but I can't say I'm enjoying it.
  • captain-Snufkin 5 Nov 2018 18:29:27 778 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    How long have you been taking it? It's pretty good stuff long term imo. It dulls you're senses no doubt, you don't feel as bad and equally not as good as you would normally. But if you feel bad enough to take them you should be ok with letting go of it.
  • GoatApocalypse 5 Nov 2018 18:32:17 5,323 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A week and a bit, so obviously still needs time to settle - just wondering whether it does settle or if this is what I'm working with.
  • captain-Snufkin 5 Nov 2018 18:38:48 778 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    It definitely settles, and you don't have to take forever too. I'd give it a month, and thoughts are bullshit abstract things that we place too much value on, so don't hurt your pretty face!
  • AddyJB 5 Nov 2018 18:41:07 1,140 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    It should settle more to be honest. It takes longer than that to fully kick in....from my experience anyway it took around 4 weeks. I guess it can vary per person. I remember my doc saying it can be 6-8 weeks for some.
  • GoatApocalypse 5 Nov 2018 18:47:13 5,323 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers lads. I'll stick at it.
  • captain-Snufkin 5 Nov 2018 18:51:19 778 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Post deleted
  • GuybrushFreepwood 5 Nov 2018 20:10:00 585 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    I was on it for quite a while. I eventually quit when I started to become excessively angry very quickly. It also affected my sex drive and made actually coming very difficult.

Initial few weeks I was dizzy and had brain zaps and other weirdness. That passed within a month

Each person reacts differently though and I'm quite sensitive to pills.
  • captain-Snufkin 5 Nov 2018 20:20:51 778 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Post deleted
  • captain-Snufkin 5 Nov 2018 20:22:04 778 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Post deleted
  • GoatApocalypse 5 Nov 2018 20:42:59 5,323 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @GuybrushFreepwood

I've found my sex drive has increased, but that I last fucking ages. Which is a nice bonus, I guess.

Only had a couple of brain zaps, which I thought were probably down to tiredness.
  • captain-Snufkin 5 Nov 2018 21:02:34 778 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Post deleted
  • captain-Snufkin 5 Nov 2018 21:07:09 778 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Post deleted
  • captain-Snufkin 6 Nov 2018 07:39:14 778 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Fix
  • Cadence 6 Nov 2018 09:35:08 2,274 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    GoatApocalypse wrote:
    ION, went into work today despite the lack of sleep and horrific anxiety, lasted an hour and I'm now not sure I can ever face going back.
    Anxiety really is the worst isn't it. I've had it for 30 years. Can you get your GP to sign you off for a bit? Also I found citalopram to cause more anxiety. I switched to something called mirtazapine recently and it's much much better, particularly for helping me to sleep. Obviously everyone is different but it's worth talking to your GP if what you're on now doesn't seem effective.

Edited by Cadence at 09:38:39 06-11-2018
  • ohlookanewuser 6 Nov 2018 10:40:42 9 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @GoatApocalypse I have been on it for about 6 months now, the first two weeks were a bit unsettling but it has been until very recently working like a treat for me. It has removed a lot of the anxieties I have traditionally felt and made my mood much more stable.

Edited by ohlookanewuser at 10:41:06 06-11-2018
  • GuybrushFreepwood 6 Nov 2018 10:43:53 585 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Cadence wrote:
    GoatApocalypse wrote:
    ION, went into work today despite the lack of sleep and horrific anxiety, lasted an hour and I'm now not sure I can ever face going back.
    Anxiety really is the worst isn't it. I've had it for 30 years. Can you get your GP to sign you off for a bit? Also I found citalopram to cause more anxiety. I switched to something called mirtazapine recently and it's much much better, particularly for helping me to sleep. Obviously everyone is different but it's worth talking to your GP if what you're on now doesn't seem effective.
    I've been put on a 10 week group CBT course for Anxiety through my GP. Went to the first week last week and have to admit I was bloody nervous and almost bolted. I'm hoping it will work as my anxiety at times gets out of control.... and stops me sleeping which leads to depression which leads to the Dark Side etc.

If nothing else, it was useful to speak to people who are also suffering.
  • ohlookanewuser 6 Nov 2018 10:46:34 9 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @GuybrushFreepwood Can I ask you to go into more detail about the anger issues you faced on citalopram? I recently moved to a new country for work and the problems with not knowing the language, new routines and just a general problem with cultural misunderstandings have me feeling so angry! I was ok at the start but am beginning to see a real deterioration in my mental wellbeing here. Things I thought going on the tablets (the anxiety, talking to myself excessively) have seemingly crept back into my life.
  • SnackPlissken 6 Nov 2018 11:11:23 739 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Cadence wrote:
    GoatApocalypse wrote:
    The problem I find with mirtazapine is that by 10pm I'm very sleepy, and I nod off way too easily. Which is fine for the weekdays, but when you're struggling to keep awake when I'm out after 10 at a weekend.. But still it has helped me loads over the years I've been taking it. There's no perfect drug, as they all have side effects.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 6 Nov 2018 11:36:59 585 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @ohlookanewuser This was some years ago. I was on Citalopram and had been for some months (I can't honestly recall how long, somewhere between 6 months and 2 years. My memory wasn't great around that time). I was talking to my partner and she said something innocuous and I flared up in an instant. I was utterly furious and thought "what the hell was that? Where did that come from?". I knew that before the pills I had never ever had an incident like that and I felt like my personality was now different and what I was feeling was no longer me. I had a couple more bursts like that in the next week, where I went from calm to bloody angry in an instance.

I then looked online and saw that Citalopram in particular appeared to be linked to incidences of violent mood swings. There was one notable case where a guy in the US got off a murder charge as the judge agreed that Citalopram was the reason he flipped and killed his wife. I read further (way beyond the first few pages of Google) and decided at that point that this was the likely cause for my mood swings and I quit them.

I've spoken to psychiatrists since and it seems that I'm quite sensitive to the side effects of anti-depressants and although I've tried a few, I've always "enjoyed" most of the adverse effects (including suicidal urges) and none of the good ones.
  • sirtacos 8 Nov 2018 05:50:21 8,074 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's fucking terrifying.

I'm on 60mg Paxil and aside from weight gain, anorgasmia, occasional brain zaps and weird fluctuations in energy, I haven't had any major side-effects or personality changes.

It's been pretty good at keeping the social anxiety at bay, and social anxiety is the bane of my existence, so I'm willing to pay a steep price to keep it under control.

However recently the depressive episodes have been coming back in force. I can sympathise with you insofar as I know what it's like to feel like you're not in control anymore.

Edited by sirtacos at 06:04:53 08-11-2018
  • sirtacos 8 Nov 2018 05:50:22 8,074 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • GoatApocalypse 8 Nov 2018 14:27:53 5,323 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fix
  • Banyans 11 Nov 2018 12:45:29 468 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does anyone just feel, like trapped in their life? Itís been a weird couple of months for me but I just feel so trapped. I stopped taking my antidepressants awhile back and things were good but then some events happened in my life and now Iím so stressed all the time!
  • GoatApocalypse 11 Nov 2018 13:02:10 5,323 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    All the time mate.
  • Banyans 11 Nov 2018 13:11:41 468 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How do you cope with the feeling?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.