Following Depression Page 243

• Addy__ 24 Apr 2019 23:02:05 1,458 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @JamboWayOh

Spoke to them today for an hour. Went quite well. It was more an assessment to see what services they could offer. Basically counselling or cbt. I can do one and switch to the other if I feel one isn't for me. Decided to go for the counselling but the main nhs one has a 5 month waiting list and the next alternative is 3 months. I didn't want to wait that long so the next option was online webchat therapy via big white wall. I can have 10x 1 hour sessions and there's other support.

I guess I'll just try that and if I feel it's not helping I will try the cognitive approach. I'm at the stage where I'll literally try anything in order to help.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 24 Apr 2019 23:10:00 1,267 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Addy__ if they offer you trans diagnostic group based cbt, then take it. I did it for 12 weeks and it was bloody brilliant. I was a basket case when I joined it.
  • Addy__ 24 Apr 2019 23:19:06 1,458 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @GuybrushFreepwood

Not sure if it's that. She just said it was Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT).
  • GuybrushFreepwood 25 Apr 2019 06:48:44 1,267 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Addy__ might be worth ringing your local IAPT and seeing if they do it (itís self referral). I was a wreck when I went there (almost left the first session as my nerves were that shot with stress) and I left there with hope and a plan. Iíve since bought the book itís based on, but the course was worth a load to me and for those who completed it. A few of us still meet up.
  • Addy__ 25 Apr 2019 08:11:38 1,458 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @GuybrushFreepwood

Will give them a call today. To be honest I think I'll switch to the CBT method even if it's not group based. I was pondering it all last night and since I've had counselling before and I didnt feel it helped much, I may as well try something different first.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 25 Apr 2019 08:39:09 1,267 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Addy__ Iíve had counselling too in the past and it did very little for me. The group based cbt was really good. Tough at times and it will take a while to change decades of ingrained thought patterns, but I now feel I have hope which before I did not.
  • ohlookanewuser 25 Apr 2019 10:40:49 10 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Hey everyone,

I have a question for the folks in this thread. I am having a day where my mind is just not functioning, it was difficult to get out of bed and I feel like i am operating at about 10% of my normal speed and capacity. What coping mechanisms do you guys/gals use when you are trying to push through the day?
  • KD 25 Apr 2019 11:04:57 2,121 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @ohlookanewuser Music and talking to people who understand like friends or co workers.

Been a rough 11 weeks since my ex passed, couldnt cope and still not had any appointments off mental health services even though I self reffered myself in march 2018 and feb 2019. Spending time with her mum has brought me a bit of perspective, we argued some years ago when her daughter moved in with me, we can talk about her and I'm one of the few people she feels she can open up to.
  • BinaryBob101 25 Apr 2019 11:31:48 26,989 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Focus on everything you love. If your taking meds under the guidance of your GP, keep taking them. If you feel so low you need to see the GP, then call and book an appointment to get checked out.

Daily CBD helps me massively too. I've found 25mg per day helps with pain, insomnia, RLS, anxiety and depression that my scrip meds don't touch. Just getting a decent sleep again helps me focus in ways I've struggled with hugely since using CBD.

KD, you've had a fucking rough few years man - hope things pick up for you soon.
  • Garfy 25 Apr 2019 12:07:06 1,384 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Post deleted
  • StarchildHypocrethes 25 Apr 2019 13:08:04 32,350 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
  • Frogofdoom 25 Apr 2019 13:12:38 13,982 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fucking hell, hang in there garfy.

Edited by Frogofdoom at 13:17:48 25-04-2019
  • Your-Mother 25 Apr 2019 13:25:05 2,943 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hardly in the same league? Itís not even the same fucking sport you absolute turd.
  • Garfy 25 Apr 2019 13:25:40 1,384 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Post deleted
  • BinaryBob101 25 Apr 2019 13:28:02 26,989 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Super dark times. Garfy broke the thread.
  • Garfy 25 Apr 2019 13:28:29 1,384 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sorry about my flippant posts, I've deleted them. I was just feeling a bit shitty and absolutely didn't mean to make anyone feel like I was making light of them.
  • BinaryBob101 25 Apr 2019 14:45:41 26,989 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Garfy Nothing wrong with a little levity in a heavy thread man. Possibly slightly ill-timed, but no need to beat yourself up.
  • mrharvest 27 Apr 2019 08:33:30 5,591 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I wanted to give an update on my situation. I was diagnosed with major depressive syndrome in 2017. I had a few weeks where I wasn't able to do anything - if I was too out of it I'd lie on the floor because getting on the sofa felt like too much work.

Luckily I was able to get psychiatric treatment quite quickly and had appointments with psychologists. After trying a three different meds I got one that helped me start to function a bit better. I had some rough times but eventually things evened out.

In March last year I started a new job and have been progressing pretty much steadily since then. I also started regular psychotherapy around September which I think has been quite helpful.

Now, almost two years after the worst point I'm still on the meds but at least I can lead pretty much normal life. I just moved to Belfast for a new job and even though I still have to be careful not to over-extend myself I'm pretty sure anyone would think I'm just a normal guy (except of course my normal self being mental).

I just wanted to share this. Things get better.
  • DUFFMAN5 27 Apr 2019 08:58:14 24,920 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @mrharvest

Excellent, stay strong :)
  • Frogofdoom 27 Apr 2019 09:07:35 13,982 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah this is a good post to see, nice one mrharvest. Glad to see things headed in the right direction for you.
  • KD 27 Apr 2019 13:19:03 2,121 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I got my Wii U back yesterday that I leant my ex in december, gonna be a sad day I expect looking at her account activity and Just Dance scores. Spent most the week up her mums and explaining more how I helped her daughter, both of us just sad we argued and avoided each other but its understandable and just making sure she knows we both fucked up equally.

The jokes we are making are terrible, all 3 of us had the same fucked up sense humour and I swear we will be struck down by lightening soon if she aware of us talking like it.

@BinaryBob101 Cheers

@mrharvest Well done
  • Addy__ 28 Apr 2019 10:30:17 1,458 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @mrharvest

Good to hear mate.

I'm having dramas today. Was all set for viewing endgame today and suddenly freaked out at the thought of going so im now staying put. :(
  • DUFFMAN5 28 Apr 2019 10:49:47 24,920 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Addy__
    Hi mate, followed a few of your posts. Goes without saying I emphasise hugely. Had to cut out holiday short by several days as James was overwhelmed, it is what it is of course.

Re today, do you know why you "freaked out"

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 10:50:01 28-04-2019
  • Addy__ 28 Apr 2019 11:16:17 1,458 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @DUFFMAN5

Well I say freaked out. More internally freaked out. Last night I was quite looking forward to going and then when I thought about it this morning I had an overwhelming feeling of dread and basically just told the missus I couldn't go. I've just had a shower and I'm shaking like mad. I've had a beta blocker and will chill today. FFS it's absolutely doing my head in being like this :(
  • DUFFMAN5 28 Apr 2019 11:24:05 24,920 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Addy__
    :(
    It seems so trite to say it but try and stay positive as much as you can. Maybe you have to accept these sort of days. I know when I have those sort of days/periods I try to remember what a therapist told me about only being able to change things within my control (which in this instance, you have done)and not letting things outside, inside so to speak.

Can you relax with some gaming today or another hobby that will bring you some "joy"
  • BinaryBob101 28 Apr 2019 11:52:20 26,989 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Addy__ I was like this when Spider-man Homecoming was released. Was meant to go with my son for a day out, he is a massive Spidey fan. I just found myself rising in anxious knots and went through an hour of vomiting before I said sorry to him.

He understood. We've ha other days since and it's only one out of thousands.

It will get better. Chill, forget about it and do something else fun with no expectations.
  • Addy__ 28 Apr 2019 12:08:05 1,458 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Cheers guys. Guess I first, and foremost need to forget about it now. I'm sat here driving myself mad thinking about it. I've some chores in the house I could do with sorting so will get on that and then maybe stick the vita on when the wife takes one of the Ratbags to her mum's.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 28 Apr 2019 14:07:21 1,267 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Addy__ from my course

1. Remember that feeling of freaking out is a bodily response that is created by short duration chemicals. It cannot last and will pass. Note: it took me a long time to realise that the act of checking on myself was triggering those chemicals making me feel I was always panicking, which I wasnít.

2. Donít fight or try to smother the feelings. This just makes your brain more fascinated by the feelings and the feelings feel stronger. Just think ďokay Iím freaking out, itís not nice but it will pass and it wonít hurt meĒ. Next time it happens your mind thinks ďhe didnít think it was a big deal last time, Iíll not panic as much next timeĒ.

3. Whatever is the trigger you need to work out how you will beat it and you need to get a plan for gradual exposure. Thatís the whole ďfeel the fear and do it anywayĒ thing. Otherwise your mind retreats further and further until itís only happy rocking ina dark corner while chanting a ďkeep safeĒ mantra and wearing your lucky pants.

Remember HALT. When hungry angry lonely or tired we are more reactive and susceptible to things.

Donít dwell on the past or fear the future, get on with life now.

Good luck. Iíve been rocking in a corner of a dark room with my mind screaming. Iím in a much better place now. You will be too.
  • JamboWayOh 28 Apr 2019 14:34:30 14,771 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Addy__

Like a lot of people have said it's tough, but things DO get better, I've come through the other end when I really felt hopeless, you will too.
  • Addy__ 28 Apr 2019 14:40:25 1,458 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Thanks. I guess all this anxiety is having a knock on effect to the depression. It's so damn frustrating and im paranoid it will get worse so I end up losing my job. Luckily I live close to work and my manager and team are great and know what the crack is. Still it sits on my mind.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.