Depression Page 247

Next Last
  • Addy__ 3 Jul 2019 19:39:39 1,127 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    @Addy__

Excellent news mate, I told you that it comes eventually. Keep it up, especially the gym because that's the biggest contributing factor to feeling positive.
    Yeah definitely. Gunsforlife.
  • quadfather 3 Jul 2019 19:58:26 34,671 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Does this mean we can continue that co-op session in Bloodborne now, where hopefully a lift won't kill me off?
  • Addy__ 3 Jul 2019 20:00:36 1,127 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Does this mean we can continue that co-op session in Bloodborne now, where hopefully a lift won't kill me off?
    Lol that was quality.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 3 Jul 2019 22:38:37 1,199 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Good to hear mate. Keep up the exercise, stay of the painkillers but donít overdo it at work.
  • challenge_hanukkah 3 Jul 2019 23:10:19 11,044 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    And always pull back the foreskin when washing Captain Winky.

Sexy as you now are no one likes a cheesy bell.
  • GoatApocalypse 6 Jul 2019 07:28:36 5,776 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Went out to see some former colleagues last night and had a panic attack.

Sake.
  • Frogofdoom 6 Jul 2019 07:43:00 13,681 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This is good news Addy. Regarding the gym it helps if you follow the famous mantra of the wise one. Follow your dreams, you can reach your goals I'm living proof. Beefcake, beefcake.
  • Baldelk 19 Jul 2019 17:56:25 2 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    Is psychological courses help to cope with depression?
  • GuybrushFreepwood 19 Jul 2019 18:05:21 1,199 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Post deleted
  • Trafford 19 Jul 2019 18:18:52 8,372 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • GuybrushFreepwood 19 Jul 2019 18:20:41 1,199 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Thread fix

Edited by GuybrushFreepwood at 18:21:15 19-07-2019

And thanks Trafford

Edited by GuybrushFreepwood at 18:21:39 19-07-2019
  • KD 24 Jul 2019 23:11:12 2,113 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Off to my drug and alcohol counseling tomorrow, apparently I got to show I'm willing to participate and do it for a few weeks before the mental health team will give me a chance for a appointment. I should add I consume 2 - 4 units of alcohol a month and stopped smoking any weed once they told me its a problem. The public inquest for the girl I lived with is the first week of August and I'm not doing well at all. I even spoke to a relative of mine who works for the mental health team and said I dont know where my head will be after the inquest. My family and friends say its great I'm sorting my house and shed out and throwing anything I dont need away, I got no plans honestly but I know I wont be a good state of mind and if I'm to go then it'll be easier on them to have a minimum to do before selling my house.

Sorry for the downer, I'll be ok hopefully.
  • triarii 25 Jul 2019 09:41:44 400 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @KD

I don't think you need to apologise for downers in here! How did the counseling session go?
  • TechnoHippy 25 Jul 2019 09:55:52 15,302 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @KD All the best for the session. It can be hard to open up at first, but will hopefully help you out.
  • KD 25 Jul 2019 10:52:00 2,113 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It went ok, they just sat there and asked am I sure I need help, explained the whole situation and why I was asked to go see them, they didnt seem impressed but promised to help.
  • Youthist 27 Jul 2019 17:20:08 13,847 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yes, I do for sure,
  • MrFlay 27 Jul 2019 17:46:12 4,068 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    Yes, I do for sure,
    What?
  • azurelas_2 29 Jul 2019 12:59:05 1,854 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Well, just got fired today. Mum was killed 2 years ago, my gf dumped me 2 months after that, I was face to face with my mother's murderer half a year ago and now this.
  • MrFlay 29 Jul 2019 16:24:12 4,068 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @azurelas_2

It seems to me that it would be abnormal for you not to feel really, really bad after experiencing these things. I'm sorry that happened to your mother. You've had to deal with two very difficult experiences and one traumatic one. Give yourself a break.
  • Addy__ 4 Aug 2019 20:04:14 1,127 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Not having a great day. It's my daughters birthday tomorrow (youngest one turns 4) and she's obviously oblivious to it and it's just another day to her. You'd think I'd be used to it now but all this autism shit gets me down with stuff like this. Just feeling sorry for myself I guess.

Peace out folks.
  • TechnoHippy 4 Aug 2019 20:16:23 15,302 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Sorry to hear that. I hope your mood improves, and it is hard to deal with situations like this even if things are going well.

Edited by TechnoHippy at 20:17:07 04-08-2019
  • Addy__ 4 Aug 2019 20:38:22 1,127 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Cheers. I'm sure I'll be ok tomorrow. Just have to go with the flow with these highs and lows.

Can I take this opportunity to give a massive hug and thanks to user @jono62 for messaging me on discord out of the blue and gifting me a 12 month sub for psn. Totally unexpected and I'm overwhelmed at such a gesture. Particularly as I'm a bit of twat at times to some good people. Apologies for that.
  • DUFFMAN5 4 Aug 2019 20:39:27 24,793 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Addy__
    Jono is a great guy, lovely gesture. He is one of my Gears "brothers"
  • Wavey 7 Aug 2019 01:03:52 868 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I needed to get something off my chest and this seems as good a place as any. Not as serious as what some of you are going through, I wish you all well.

Was fired about a month and a half ago. Had a awful year. Two deaths in the family, other family health issues and my mental health took a turn. Had mutliple instances of time off and unfortunatly got to a point where they decided, after a meeting, to fire me. Appealed but was rejected. Is what it is in that regard.

I've never been fired before and i'm terrified about how to answer the question in interviews of "why did you leave". My old jobs hr department have said they will put dismissed as part of the reference. Just feeling pretty low and keep having big pangs of sadness. 32 years old nearly and lived with my parents for 5 years after moving back.

Hopefully things will pick up. I'm determinned to start exercising tomorrow as I don't want to go back on meds if I can help it. Anyway sorry for waffling!
  • GuybrushFreepwood 7 Aug 2019 07:19:07 1,199 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Hmm... I didn't think that it was possible to fire someone because they had to take t ime off due to a mental health issue. If you were open and honest with them about the issue (and I know that people tend to hide mental illness due to the associated stigma that still exists), then your employer has a duty of care and cannot simply fire you. If they did and - unless you were being agressive to other staff - then you could take them to a tribunal and sue them. Might be worth taking some legal advice on that with an aim to at least getting them to agree not to write "dismmissed".

If a new company do ask, I think I would be inclined to be honest. I would say that I had two deaths in the family and family health issues and that both of these meant I needed to take time off to support them which lead to stress and you needing time off yourself. Say you thought and beleived they should have been more supportive but they weren't and you were let go. Try not to criticise your old employer too much if possible as that will ring bells with some.

However, if you came for an interview with myself and said "my dad who I was really close to dies and then my mum shortly after and while I was dealing with this my daughter was diagnosed with cancer, all of which had an affect on my mental health and my work suffered as a consequence and I was unfortunatley let go". I would like to think I'd think your company were callous and that you've been through it. I'd also think that you've now been through that and come out the other side. Sadly death and serious illness are part of life and have a significant impact on people. Make sure you highlight your performance before your difficult last year.

Bottom line, is that if you tell the above to a company and it makes them think "screw that, he sounds human, we're not hiring him", then you don't want to work for them. Don't forget that.
  • drhcnip 7 Aug 2019 08:04:20 6,334 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Addy__ wrote:
    Cheers. I'm sure I'll be ok tomorrow. Just have to go with the flow with these highs and lows.

Can I take this opportunity to give a massive hug and thanks to user @jono62 for messaging me on discord out of the blue and gifting me a 12 month sub for psn. Totally unexpected and I'm overwhelmed at such a gesture. Particularly as I'm a bit of twat at times to some good people. Apologies for that.
    fab work, jono! i love this place...i also love the fact the removal of pms hasn't killed off the opportunities to support each other like this...
  • Load_2.0 7 Aug 2019 08:18:37 29,642 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Most companies will only confirm dates of employment. Some are more rigorous. So it may not come during at referencing.

I think if asked at interview I would be honest and say explain the background. Just make sure you're in the right place to start a new job first. (Finances permitting!)
  • TechnoHippy 7 Aug 2019 12:16:10 15,302 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I found since being open with work about the issues I was experiencing (it came to a head when I didn't turn up to work after a failed suicide attempt) that it was easier to deal with as I no longer had the pressure of trying to hide it. I've probably been lucky that my firm have been quite accommodating, but my advice is generally be honest when dealing with existing or potential future employers.
  • drhcnip 7 Aug 2019 14:00:30 6,334 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    i'm the same..been clear and honest all along since the first breakdown and can't fault the support of the bosses and occy health....
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.