Following Depression Page 250

• adamasunder12 18 Sep 2019 23:05:29 926 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Addy__ wrote:
    I've been on sertraline for a couple of years now and I genuinely don't know if it's helped or not. With my hectic family life and now stressful work I know like anyone else I have good and bad days. I'm finding the line is blurred between being like that anyway or the medication is preventing a bigger prolonged meltdown of some sort.

Reading that back sounds incoherent. Oh fuck it. ;)
    No, I understood. And I understand. What is shocking to me is the more I talk to people tthe more I hear of people being treated for anxiety at the very least.

Had a chat with my 17 year old kp and she suffers with anxiety. My 19 year old sister is the same.

It's a cultural phenomena and indicative of a societal problem. My singing coach has a theory on breakdown of community, we all feel so isolated which is a breeding ground for mental illness.

Mine is most likely hereditary, my mother is nuts so... I am not likely to have kids. Sod passing this shit on

Edited by adamasunder12 at 23:06:50 18-09-2019
  • Ror 18 Sep 2019 23:08:46 18,894 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    adamasunder12 wrote:
    But seriously, I don't know how you're supposed to feel.
    Do any of us? :D I think we're all just muddling through!

Hope things can settle down for you Jive, and you can get things under control a bit. I don't suffer with ADHD, but I can relate to the whole 'my brain won't turn off' thing. The Mirtazapine has done so much for that.

And that actually brings me to a pretty major aspect of being on them that I completely forgot to mention earlier: sleep.

I've always struggled with sleep (my brain just absolutely will not turn off, thanks to general anxiety and overthinking), and it was getting to the point where I'd get maybe a total of three hours a night in little snatches of kip ten or fifteen minutes long at a stretch. Now, I sleep through, most nights. It's honestly been life-changing.

Aaaand, this has reminded me that I haven't taken it yet. I try to take it about 9ish, because the later I take it, the more sluggish I feel in the morning. Oops.
  • Wavey 18 Sep 2019 23:13:13 930 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Ror Thank you for sharing how things went for you. I really appreciate it. Everyone else too of course.

I didn't think you could be signed off going to the job centre like you would work. I guess it would make sense. I shall post in here after the docs and let you know what happened.
  • adamasunder12 18 Sep 2019 23:19:24 926 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @Wavey you still have to go to the job centre for the UC but you won't have to jump through their hoops. They'll just advise about being proactive instead of wallowing. You won't have to prove anything other than a doctors note.

@ror I suffered bad with sleep about a year before my break up, it got worse when we had an ectopic and then worse still after the break up. It's calmed down a bit now but that's down to the mirtazapine and zopliclone. Zopliclone is amazing and highly recommended for sleep related issues. At least for me. It is addictive though. The most effective things are I guess.
  • Ror 18 Sep 2019 23:19:35 18,894 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Wavey No worries at all. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

It might be worth asking your doc about what being signed off means when you're on job seekers - they've likely had that question before, and may have advice for you.
  • adamasunder12 18 Sep 2019 23:24:55 926 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    That's good advice. I should have done the same.

I did ask whether I should be working so maybe that's an idea to gauge on the severity of your problem
  • Ror 18 Sep 2019 23:32:52 18,894 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Weird side-note here, but mentioning my sleep problems above made me go back and skim through the old 'CVG on EG' thread, because I remembered that whole sorry event coincided with one of what used to be my semi-regular 'three days of no fucking sleep for you' periods.

What a weird thread that was.
  • adamasunder12 18 Sep 2019 23:43:45 926 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I forget you were a CVG refugee like me.

/clinks glass
  • Ror 19 Sep 2019 01:36:19 18,894 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    /tips hat
  • adamasunder12 19 Sep 2019 02:26:42 926 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Still awake then? :)
  • Wavey 19 Sep 2019 08:54:22 930 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So got an appointment for this morning. Its odd, I keep telling myself I feel better today. I wonder if its my mind trying to make me not go or the fact i've going to get help. Who knows, brains are annoying!

Edited by Wavey at 08:54:36 19-09-2019
  • adamasunder12 19 Sep 2019 09:16:45 926 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I never went when I felt well. This was a mistake as I was rapid cycling into manic.

Go when you're well. You're probably more able to describe your symptoms with some objectivity.

Good luck
  • Wavey 19 Sep 2019 11:02:08 930 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So I had a really nice doctor who talked through all my symptoms and thoughts and has prescribed me an initial 50mg of Sertraline a day and a follow up appointment in two weeks. She said more than happy to write a sick note for job centre if needed so that is some worry gone already.

Nervous about the drugs as was only on 20mg Citalopram couple years ago before I stopped but I don't think that ever did anything for me. Lets see how it goes.

Edited by Wavey at 11:21:20 19-09-2019
  • adamasunder12 19 Sep 2019 15:27:00 926 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Sertraline seems to be the one doctors like to prescribe.

A bit personal but are you in a relationship? If so then if you get the side effects I did in regards to sexual health it can have a negative effect on your relationship. That may cause more problems later down the line. I'm single so when I was prescribed it was less intrusive if still concerning. It may just be me that gained this quirk but I seem to remember my psychiatrist saying that it is a known side effect. Good luck with it.

Edited by adamasunder12 at 15:28:30 19-09-2019
  • Wavey 19 Sep 2019 15:32:03 930 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @adamasunder12 We had a quick chat about what she might recomend but she mentioned that if it doesn't seem to work we can look at others. Hopefully it will!

I'm not in a relationship no, i've read up on the "issues" you can have on them. Not fun!
  • Garfy 19 Sep 2019 15:41:27 1,386 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sertraline did absolutely nothing for me.
    Fluoxetine (Prozac) has an effect but doesn't deal with my anxiety.

Fluoxetine can also have an effect in the bedroom although not the one you're thinking of.

Edited by Garfy at 15:43:30 19-09-2019
  • adamasunder12 19 Sep 2019 15:55:06 926 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @Wavey Well being single is good in this case then I guess. I found it made me have no interest in sex too so it was actually kind of a blessing as I always seem to be drawn to dramatic women.

Fingers crossed for you mate, it's a step onto recovery but I doubt a prolonged prescription on the sertraline is good for anyone.

I came off it thankfully and my ardour returned. Now my side effects are dehydration a certain emotional numbness l, constant blood tests and finding it more difficult to manage my weight! I've read that the weight and numbness issues relent over time and the having to drink more water aspect isn't too much of a hardship.
  • MrAGSystems 19 Sep 2019 16:01:59 102 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    @Garfy Anorgasmia?
  • Psiloc 19 Sep 2019 16:02:02 5,197 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A lot of uppers have that tingly flaccid effect on your dick. Seems to go hand in hand with teeth clenching.

Depending on the dosage you can often get a nice little top-up "high" by yawning.
  • Psiloc 19 Sep 2019 16:04:11 5,197 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's none of my business Garf, but out of interest did you have a background of depression before your break up or have you been given a prescription as a result of your break up?
  • Wavey 19 Sep 2019 16:05:58 930 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Garfy Oh thats worrying. I guess some meds work for some and not others. Getting worried now! Sure it will pass. I wish we had a switch we could click and we'd be ok.
  • Ror 19 Sep 2019 16:12:11 18,894 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good luck Wavey, hope everything helps, and if not, always remember there are other options!
  • Garfy 19 Sep 2019 16:22:51 1,386 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    MrAGSystems wrote:
    @Garfy Anorgasmia?
    That's the one yes
  • Garfy 19 Sep 2019 16:25:19 1,386 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    It's none of my business Garf, but out of interest did you have a background of depression before your break up or have you been given a prescription as a result of your break up?
    I've been on fluoxetine on and off since before I met her.
    Hell I'd have never have had the courage to go out with someone at all if it weren't for the positive effect of the Prozac
  • Garfy 19 Sep 2019 16:26:51 1,386 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Wavey wrote:
    @Garfy Oh thats worrying. I guess some meds work for some and not others. Getting worried now! Sure it will pass. I wish we had a switch we could click and we'd be ok.
    No need to worry, it's a process. Just make sure they keep on top of it.

It's just a matter of trying different stuff until you hit the right switch
  • Rusty_M 19 Sep 2019 18:55:23 7,056 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Meds are tough. I've heard horror stories about citalopram, but it worked for me, and some others I know.

Getting the wrong stuff can be awful, but don't let that put you off treatment entirely. It really can make a difference.
  • Wavey 22 Sep 2019 16:49:03 930 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So fourth day on Sertraline and its been interesting. Side effects have included feeling sick, restlessness and a little spaced out. Now I know they won't be working yet however i've had two good nights sleep in a row, i've exercised twice in a row too and i've been cooking proper meals again.

Maybe because I felt at rock bottom, the step of going to the doctors and confiding in my sister has helped too. Taking it slow though and I am under no impression i'm "cured" as I still feel the depression deeply. Waffle over!
  • Addy__ 22 Sep 2019 18:36:35 1,609 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    @Wavey

One day at a time mate. You will be up and down for quite some time. It will hopefully get where the up days far outweigh the bad days. If you're having a bad day just embrace it, say fuck it and reset and start again the next day.
  • adamasunder12 22 Sep 2019 18:51:05 926 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Rusty_M wrote:
    Meds are tough. I've heard horror stories about citalopram, but it worked for me, and some others I know.

Getting the wrong stuff can be awful, but don't let that put you off treatment entirely. It really can make a difference.
    Also, be wary of people telling you to stop labelling yourself. A lot of people seem to misconstrue that trying to find a label for your malady is in turn branding yourself with that. We are many labels, all working at once and as such no label.

The absolute worst aspect of mental illness is trying to get people on board without one, sounding like a victim and two, making excuses for behaviour. It's hard to know where the illness and the person end and begin and the patience of others can be at a premium.

Just my two cents on my journey of discovery.
  • drhcnip 22 Sep 2019 19:17:00 6,351 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wavey wrote:
    So I had a really nice doctor who talked through all my symptoms and thoughts and has prescribed me an initial 50mg of Sertraline a day and a follow up appointment in two weeks. She said more than happy to write a sick note for job centre if needed so that is some worry gone already.

Nervous about the drugs as was only on 20mg Citalopram couple years ago before I stopped but I don't think that ever did anything for me. Lets see how it goes.
    don't worry about the size of the dosage, pal - it seems sertraline comes in bigger doses....I went up to 50mg on citalopram, i'm now 200mg on sertraline...

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.