Following Depression Page 257

• Deleted user 16 December 2019 12:29:45
    If you're going to try out the Night Nurse suggestion, make sure not to take it at the same time as anything else containing paracetamol (as NN contains a ton of it).

Also don't take for too long, it's only over the counter stuff, but one of the active ingredients is dextromethorphan.

I only mention it as a solution because I've tried it and can vouch that it will knock you out pretty quickly, and it sounds a lot more benign than mirtrapazine.

You're meant to take it if you have a cough or the flu and can't sleep.
  • IRWATWO 16 Dec 2019 13:12:20 482 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @racing_fan

Great advice thank you. No this is shortish term, 2 months max, but I will be careful with the paracet thing thanks very much. Looking to just take one or another thing every second night say, to minimise building up dependence on any one thing.

Tvm, very appreciated.
  • Graxlar_v3 16 Dec 2019 13:39:05 9,066 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think this is the first time i have seen night nurse being recommended as a knock out drug and not a cough medicine.

I would probably steer away from it unless you have a chesty cough. But then I am not a medical processional.
  • Cadence 16 Dec 2019 13:59:49 2,357 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @IRWATWO just on the mirtazapine. I've been on it a couple of years and found it gives me incredibly vivid dreams! Sounds like you didn't get that though. It's also the only medication that has ever helped me sleep properly and I've been on pretty much all of them. :)
  • IRWATWO 16 Dec 2019 15:31:20 482 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @Cadence

Thanks very much, all advice gratefully received. Perhaps because first time I've ever taken it, but no, no dreams I can remember, and leg feels ok (or no worse anyway) and still attached to rest of me, which is good.

Amazing how half a pill so small can floor 13 stone of middle aged dickhead for 10 hours. Woo science yeah and all that :)
  • IRWATWO 16 Dec 2019 15:35:19 482 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @Graxlar_v3

Thanks vety much mate, I did ask for anecdotal, which was carefully stated back too. Thanks for clarification though dude, I'm being really careful with all this stuff, fairly anxious to not land back in hospital ever ever ever ever :)
  • Cadence 16 Dec 2019 16:07:13 2,357 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @IRWATWO Haha! I know right. Good to hear you got a good night's sleep. The world looks so much brighter when you've had a decent nap.

Edited by Cadence at 16:07:24 16-12-2019
  • mothercruncher 16 Dec 2019 18:53:26 17,081 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I struggle to sleep with chronic pain and resultant aggravation, anxiety. Currently knocking myself out with 5-HTP tablets, said to work on Serotonin. They certainly send me off quickly, and I mention them as another option though they are in the CBD type bracket of trendy/fad-y, and as such unregulated yet. I’d advise caution and trying over the counter stuff, like, the “sleep aid” tablets Lloyd’s sell, old school anti-histamines iirc. It’s terrifying people used to take them for hayfever and then drive cars etc- I get 10 hours like a fucking zombie on them. Very much a short term thing, don’t make them a nightly routine.
  • Deleted user 16 December 2019 20:21:06
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    I think this is the first time i have seen night nurse being recommended as a knock out drug and not a cough medicine.

I would probably steer away from it unless you have a chesty cough. But then I am not a medical processional.
    It's not a cough medicine. It will help you sleep if you have a cough or flu, as the paracetamol eases pain of raw throat from coughing and shivers and aches from flu, and the dextromethorphan relaxes your muscles to prevent coughing, but also makes you deeply relaxed and the whole medicine makes you very drowsy.

I'm 6'4", 21st, and a standard 20ml adult dose puts me fast asleep within 20 mins, even if I'm struggling to stay awake. I know it's not strictly the use it was intended for, but think of it like chewing an aspirin for a heart attack, because as well as the pain relief, aspirin has anti blood clotting properties.
  • fontgeeksogood 16 Dec 2019 20:28:53 8,686 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    When I was a kid we would get fucked up on DXM when we couldn't get hold of acid and wanted to candyflip.

Just saying, again, be fucking careful with any advice you get on here
  • ButterVoucher 16 Dec 2019 20:30:20 70 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    You are that big and needed a bread bin lid. I fucking eat guys alive and i'm only 5'10" and 15st.
  • prettyvacant 16 Dec 2019 20:39:21 341 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
  • IRWATWO 16 Dec 2019 20:45:08 482 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    When I was a kid we would get fucked up on DXM when we couldn't get hold of acid and wanted to candyflip.

Just saying, again, be fucking careful with any advice you get on here
    Thank you, honestly. As I originally asked for the advice this time round, to respond, I will be very careful certainly, and echo that excellent advice too, to anyone reading, but thanks also for all the advice offered.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 16 Dec 2019 20:49:35 2,639 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Night nurse did work for me at one point, I suppose it depends if sleeping issues are your core problem.

Pharmacy can recommend much better sleeping aids that don’t require prescription
  • BinaryBob101 16 Dec 2019 21:12:07 27,381 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @IRWATWO Yeah, go into VPZ and ask for D. That guy will give you some honest, no bullshit advice. Trust me, you and him have something in common and he knows his shit.

Get a cab to The Birdcage and you'll only need to crutch it for 5 meters!

Let me know and I'll let him know. If not, no probs.
  • mothercruncher 16 Dec 2019 21:30:38 17,081 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dick always makes me feel better, that’s for sure.
  • IRWATWO 16 Dec 2019 22:18:35 482 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @BinaryBob101

Dude, there are no words to express my gratitude.

However, there is The Romney, where I absolutely insist I treat you and yours to a slap-up when I am on my feet again, if you like :)

I have all sorts of medical stuff to line up this week, will let you know if / when heading to town, then perhaps you can prime him for me. Thanks so, so much.

In other news, finally worked up the courage to self administer inhixa blood thinner. Was ok I'll make a nurse yet :)

Again, thank you, most sincerely.
  • BinaryBob101 16 Dec 2019 23:38:29 27,381 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not a problem man. I know a few people in the area. All good. If you have some trust in herb therapy your cannabidiol receptors in your endocrine system will lap it up, should help you in myriad ways if you administer correctly.

Take care dude.

Edited by BinaryBob101 at 23:39:57 16-12-2019
  • IRWATWO 17 Dec 2019 12:18:23 482 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    If any of that means I take a little doob, yes :)

Means the world honestly. Despite 4 years up here, most of my life is still centred around the endless suburban wastelands of south Manchester, so Cumbrian local knowledge of any sort gold dust. Thank you :)

Edited by IRWATWO at 12:26:48 17-12-2019
  • IRWATWO 18 Dec 2019 10:01:35 482 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @BinaryBob101

Hey Bob, just to say, having had a few days at home to adjust to life on one leg sufficiently, I returned to my own good-nights-sleep solution last night. Sooooo good to be home.

So I will certainly visit D at some point, but possibly once properly mobile again, see how it goes. Thanks so much for the advice dude :)
  • drhickman1983 18 Dec 2019 14:28:29 6,389 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm sure it's a common enough thought, but I kind of wish I'd never been born. Looking back at my life I can't help but feel that at best I've had an inconsequential impact on others, but at worse I've had actually had a detrimental effect.

Which just makes me feel worse as not only have I managed to screw my own life up but I've managed to drag other people down a bit too. Had to run to the toilets at work as that thought made me feel a bit teary.
  • askew 18 Dec 2019 14:44:11 20,672 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    On the other hand, think of all the lives you have touched upon and improved in a way, however big or small. Even adding to this forum!
  • wuntyate 18 Dec 2019 14:46:23 13,790 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Exactly. It's much easier to see the negatives when you're feeling down. It's the bad parts of our lives that stick in our head. The times when we've upset someone by saying or doing the wrong thing etc. We don't tend to remember the times we made someone else feel better, or cheered someone else up when they're down. Cut yourself some slack dr, you've had a far more positive impact on the lives of those around you than you can ever realise. That I guarantee.
  • Dougs 18 Dec 2019 14:48:18 92,086 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Thoroughly recommend the novels 5 people you meet in heaven and the follow up The Next Person You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom for a good perspective on such things
  • BinaryBob101 18 Dec 2019 22:54:35 27,381 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Um, without googling those novels, they sound very Goddy. Sort of religious.
  • Dougs 18 Dec 2019 22:57:56 92,086 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Not really religious. Yeah, they're loosely about the idea of heaven but they're more about how people intersect with the lives of others' even in ways you wouldn't know. I'm an atheist but I still enjoyed them.
  • BinaryBob101 18 Dec 2019 23:05:46 27,381 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Interesting. Life's butterfly effect has been an interesting ride for me over the last 20 years. I've opened my mind to a vast variety of ideas and concepts I couldn't grasp earlier in my more turbulent, troubled days. I'll have a look, cheers Dougs.

No probs IRWATWO. In your own time.
  • Dougs 19 Dec 2019 09:36:22 92,086 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Keep the tissues handy! Neither are very long, about 200-250 pages each.
  • Blakester 23 Dec 2019 14:21:48 4,933 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Have been following this post very closely this year as I've been battling the big D since Feb and finally coming out the other side.

As I reflect on what has been a pretty shitty year, the thing I realise is that all the negative thoughts and feelings I had were purely a symptom of the illness. Now that I'm gradually coming off the medication and my thoughts are becoming more natural and level, it actually seems a bit absurd that I used to think in that way when I have so much to be thankful for. It's such a powerful illness that it can make you completely forget all the great people in your life and the experiences you've had.

I attended a MIND course on mental wellbeing recently, and they talk about depression in terms of a physical form which can really help you describe to others what you're experiencing. There's also an animation which I found particularly relatable, although it's not an easy watch:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiCrniLQGYc

A few things I found helpful that I'd like to pass on.

- The catalyst for my depression was a toxic person and situation. I knew for a long time it/they were making me ill, but thought I could deal with it. I should have listened to my gut and removed myself from the situation much earlier.
    - It was tough, but I opened up to my family very early on that I was suffering. They encouraged me to see the doctor and were 100% supportive throughout. Keeping this stuff to yourself is probably the worst thing you can do.
    - When I went to see the doctor for the first time, I took a written list with me of the all the things I was suffering from (lack of sleep, hot sweats, etc, etc, etc). The experience was a lot more emotional than I expected, so having things in writing helped me through and he was able to diagnose quickly.
    - Although mental health awareness is improving dramatically, it's still a taboo, and I found myself "acting" a lot in situations to mask it which is emotionally draining. I think that's pretty much unavoidable, so having good quality time by yourself, exercising and treating yourself to little things you love was a real tonic.

If there's a silver lining, it's that I've learnt a lot about myself in the last year, in particular how important it is to regularly take stock of your environment and ensure you're surrounding yourself with positive influences. I don't know if it will come back again, but I know I'll be better prepared.

Sorry for the long ramble, ended up being a bit cathartic.
  • TechnoHippy 23 Dec 2019 14:30:31 16,021 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Blakester I'm pleased to hear you're making progress - long may it continue.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.