Following Depression Page 261

• dinosherlock 27 May 2020 14:56:48 9 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Hey
    I'm a newbie here and was vibing through topics and saw this one.

Hope all of you have a nice day. Belief in better future is the only thing that's keeping me going.

Peace
  • Tomo 27 May 2020 16:14:39 19,371 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Watch out for meteors
  • TechnoHippy 27 May 2020 18:04:34 19,118 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    A damn fine plane.
  • dinosherlock 28 May 2020 13:11:53 9 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Tomo thanks I'm trying
  • mothercruncher 28 May 2020 14:56:56 19,320 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You whiff of dick pills and double glazing Dino, but, nevertheless, I wish you well.
  • Decks 28 May 2020 15:03:12 30,271 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hi guys, are your antidepressants playing havoc with you libido? Try the all new new dinosherlock erection pills at www.dinodickpills.com.

You don't need to be a dinosaur detective to know these pills will have your erection hard enough to crack rocks.
  • dinosherlock 2 Jun 2020 15:44:21 9 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Well, even if I whiff of dinodick pills it doesn't mean I have to be a dick and walk past related to me topic and not wish people well, right?

Anyway, thank you guys :)

Edited by dinosherlock at 15:45:19 02-06-2020
  • Your-Mother 19 Jul 2020 16:15:13 7,655 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Talk to a professional.
  • TechnoHippy 19 Jul 2020 16:29:39 19,118 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'm on medication and it makes life bearable. I did try therapy, but it didn't work for me, but I know it has helped others.

Speak to a doctor and be honest about what you're experiencing - especially if you're having destructive thoughts.
  • JoeBlade 5 Aug 2020 19:39:23 6,135 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Since Trafford doesn't want to take the initiative (JK dude, just a bad way to break the ice): earlier posts in this thread already explain my situation for the most part.

Anyway, I feel I'm clinging to my ex far FAR too much. We're still absolute besties and she is in a horrible relationship but, yeah, I'm basically so very eager to find a GF. Which is not entirely new for me but it was just not as prominent earlier in my life.

Long story short, I had a lot of poop with women - I didn't poop on their tits for the record - before and I mostly didn't care about relationships because of that but now my love life leaves me wanting something fierce. Being alone drives me absolutely mad (okay, being on the dole as well AND corona combined doesn't quite help)

And yes, I'm seeking professional help. I'm seeing my GP the day after tomorrow for this very thing actually.

Edit: typos/autocomplete shite as usual...

Edited by JoeBlade at 19:48:59 05-08-2020
  • Trafford 6 Aug 2020 09:03:14 9,274 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @JoeBlade

Heh, sorry pal. I've been absorbed in games and tv. Not one for posting much on here either.
    I'm coping with lockdown and malaise by keeping my head down. Not left the house for a week except to smoke.
    Nearly two years ago I jacked my job of 20 years, left a top girlfriend and departed Manchester to live in the boondocks of north Lancashire.
    Seemed like a good idea at the time. I'd been trying to get sober for a couple of years but failing.

In that time I've had 3 mini relationships, all women met in recovery meetings. All lasted 3 months or so. All ended when I hit my proverbial red button. I'm that kind of fuck up. I had a similar pattern for the first 3 years post divorce.
    I have a sponsor who has encouraged me to stop this behavior and I'm okay with that.
    I did a Step 4 ( AA recovery speak for a thorough moral inventory of oneself), and that dragged up an awful lot of shit.
    I do daily AA meetings on zoom and know a lot of people up here from the meetings before lockdown, I guess I'm lucky.
    12 step program is similar to CBT, I don't think I'm depressed. I just get a low mood when I think how my life is turning out, and I miss my kids.

My ex wife is sitting pretty, decent job, nice house in the country and a live in partner. I guess he's my sons step dad. They had another one a few years back who turned out to be violent, to her not them.
    I helped her a lot after all that, it was sickening hearing how someone I had loved so much had been treated by some sick narcissist prick.
    She won't even speak to me at the moment, considers me a lowlife alcoholic.

Acceptance is the answer.

Like I've said, I'm sworn of the booze and relationships at the moment but I miss the latter like mad.
    My general state of mind and living arrangements mean I'm not up for getting involved but I do feel I'm missing out.
    Marriage ended at 40, I'm 48 now.
    Fucking hell it's been a rollercoaster 🙃
  • Trafford 6 Aug 2020 09:04:38 9,274 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @JoeBlade

Hope you get something from the GP appt.
  • Trafford 6 Aug 2020 09:34:13 9,274 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    When I was in the pits of alcoholism I did get suicidal thoughts.
    It was strange, out of the blue intrusive flashes of me stepping out in front of a fast train.
    Thankfully that all stopped with the drinking.

I joke about falling off the property ladder, from a nice house in Cheshire to my mother's basement in 8 years.

The worst thing is how I've become distanced from my lads. When the marriage first ended we were doing the whole co-parenting as I had a flat around the corner.
    Then the ex moved down to Staffordshire, an hour's drive from me in Manc, then I moved up north to get straight.
    This later bit all coincides with the lads getting older, doing their own thing and being a two hour drive away.
    Things are looking up though, the eldest is hopefully off to Leeds Uni this Autumn and there's good rail links between here and there.

Also should be moving into a rented flat on the seafront in the next few weeks.
  • Garfy 6 Aug 2020 10:21:27 1,543 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Today would have been the 3 year anniversary of our first date. Dumped just after the 2 year mark last September but it was realistically over long before that, I was just to unobservant/in denial about it to notice.

I need to go pick up my antidepressants repeat today. I suppose I should bother, withdrawal in this *waves arms around* would probably be a bad idea.
  • Roads 6 Aug 2020 11:29:13 1 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    I think like a few others on here I'm struggling with life either being painful or pointless and not a lot in between. Would like to just go and sit on the top of a mountain and drift away.
  • TechnoHippy 8 Aug 2020 16:46:23 19,118 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Roads Funnily enough that's how I'd like to go - on the side of a mountain overlooking the sea, or a massive lake.
  • Garfy 12 Aug 2020 13:33:54 1,543 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Its my 45th birthday.

I just burst into tears listening to a sad song. Alone.

Why didn't she love me? I know I can be a bit of a bumbling idiot sometimes but am I really that bad you would lie to me like I was nothing?!
  • wuntyate 12 Aug 2020 15:58:15 17,204 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Garfy Some relationships work, some don't. We're not all compatible and it doesn't mean there is anything 'wrong' with either side. Don't be too hard on yourself and try not to dwell so much on it. You owe it to your own mental well-being to look forward. Happy birthday.
  • TechnoHippy 12 Aug 2020 16:03:23 19,118 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    You aren't the reflection of how others treat you - she lied to you, not the other way round (by the sounds of it).

Happy Birthday!
  • Garfy 12 Aug 2020 16:08:31 1,543 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Thanks guys, I just needed a bit of a wallow I think.

Time to finish my work for the day and then have myself a takeaway and a cocktail 🍸

Edit: Rum and ginger beer, cos I is a classy sort innit

Edited by Garfy at 16:10:05 12-08-2020
  • wuntyate 12 Aug 2020 16:09:37 17,204 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wallowing certainly helps sometimes, just need to let shit out. I do hope you enjoy the rest of your day though.
  • Trafford 2 Sep 2020 06:17:51 9,274 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tom Waits: Emotional Weather Report

https://youtu.be/6c5YNPDp8Ww

I fucking love this.
  • TechnoHippy 28 Sep 2020 13:07:22 19,118 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Struggling today. It doesn't help that I'm not feeling too well, but just don't have the strength to keep pretending everything's fine - especially with work. Maybe it's time to accept that things are never going to work and jus fuck off - find a nice beautiful mountain somewhere.
  • Cadence 30 Sep 2020 15:09:10 2,577 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hey guys. Does anyone have any experience of panic attacks? I've started getting them almost every day now and it's fucking horrible. I'm now in a state of worry about when the next one will be. The gp gave me something called propranolol but it has made it worse! It's like my whole brain has decided it's had enough and wants to end me. I can't describe how awful these are, it feels like I'm dying. Any advice appreciated.

Edited by Cadence at 15:09:50 30-09-2020
  • JoeBlade 30 Sep 2020 15:45:07 6,135 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Cadence I've had pretty severe ones for a couple of years. I got rid of them through traditional therapy; in my case they were caused by some things that happened in the years prior so once I learned to cope with those events the panic attacks vanished.

What did help while I was having them was:
    1. identifying one as such as you feel it coming on and, well, not panicking. It sounds stupid but it helped me prevent having to go through the full onslaught, instead it subsided after a while without ever becoming all too bad once I managed that.
    2. finding stuff that help you remain calm when you sense one coming on. In my case it was simply going for a walk, though having a distracting chat with someone could help a lot as well (from what I understand the latter is a quite common short-term remedy)

I never took any medication though - I'm not fond at all of the stuff - so I can't help you with that specifically.
  • Dougs 30 Sep 2020 16:34:34 99,628 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Propanlol is a beta blocker, designed to slow your heart rate. Iirc a lot of beta blockers take a while to settle down, so I'd give it a week or two. Check out some mindfulness too to try and get HR and breathing under control

Edited by Dougs at 19:56:26 30-09-2020
  • quadfather 30 Sep 2020 17:01:35 38,797 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Propanlol is a beta blocker, designed to slow your hear rate. Iirc a lot of beta blockers take a while to settle down, so I'd give it a week or two. Check out some mindfulness too to try and get HR and breathing under control
    Definitely this - one of my sisters has really bad panic attacks and my other counsellor sister taught her a breathing technique that slows it all down - it's definitely worth looking at.
  • Cadence 30 Sep 2020 18:33:36 2,577 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @JoeBlade thanks Joe, that is really helpful. Interesting you said going for a walk as at the moment that is literally the only thing that is helping. But at this rate I'm going to be permanently walking around the local park. GP I spoke to couldn't have cared less either. Their sole job seems to be to dispense drugs and get you off the phone as soon as possible. Can I ask what kind of therapy did you get? Was it CBT?
  • Cadence 30 Sep 2020 18:36:28 2,577 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @quadfather thanks dude, I have tried deep breathing but it's so hard to do when you're in the middle of an attack. I'll read up a bit more about it though.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.