Following Depression Page 262

• JoeBlade 30 Sep 2020 20:15:27 6,136 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Cadence To be fair the kind of therapy I've had - though it was mostly CBT, yes - probably doesn't help you. Or at least the chances that it will are slim.

Panic attacks are mostly like a fever or muscle ache: they're a symptom caused by something else and the causes can differ wildly between instances (overarching anxiety disorder, physical stress, interpersonal issues or whatnot)
    I was fortunate enough to already know what was causing them before they even started, it was just a matter of realizing what was actually happening to me when they did. From there on the therapy was meant to address the root causes (again, events in years prior), which it did.

So I'd suggest you try and figure out what is causing them to begin with - unless you already know, like I did - and then seeking proper help to address that cause.
    Could even be medicine is a better recourse for you after all, for instance. Though your GP doesn't sound very convincing I must admit.

Edited by JoeBlade at 20:16:01 30-09-2020
  • TechnoHippy 4 Jan 2021 16:46:10 19,122 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Not been doing too well recently and it looks like I might need to change medication - I've done this before and I'm not looking forward to doing it again :-(
  • drhcnip 4 Jan 2021 16:49:56 6,556 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    gawd, i hated changing but it ended up for the best in the long run...when i eventually got to the dose i needed...hope you're ok, pal
  • TechnoHippy 4 Jan 2021 18:01:41 19,122 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Hopefully so, but can't even go in and see the doctor until I've had my covid test results.
  • mrharvest 5 Jan 2021 11:06:32 5,716 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I've had to up my medication because the "everything closed in UK" is really wreaking havoc on me. A year ago I had a pretty good situation: I was in therapy, I had two regular weekly social events, I met up with friends and I'd go out to chill out in the pub or by the river. But now I've lost all of that. Sure I can still go out but with the UK weather being what it is I'm not super excited. I've thought of buying an e-bike as it'd probably help me get moving.

I'm angry at how fecking gormless the UK government has been in handling this and I'm disappointed in the portion of the population who don't follow the few simple rules that the useless govt has been able to recommend. Yeah, I get UK could never be like Taiwan, Vietnam or Singapore but good grief.

Rant over. I hope to survive 2021.
  • fontgeeksogood 5 Jan 2021 11:10:17 12,913 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    mrharvest wrote:
    Yeah, I get UK could never be like Taiwan, Vietnam or Singapore but good grief.
    Don't do this. Your grief and unhappiness does not need a qualifier nor whataboutery about how others have it worse or better, it is irrelevant to you (and further depressing).

Be well, and know it's okay to not be okay x

Edited by fontgeeksogood at 11:10:39 05-01-2021
  • mrharvest 5 Jan 2021 11:21:08 5,716 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Don't do this. Your grief and unhappiness does not need a qualifier nor whataboutery about how others have it worse or better, it is irrelevant to you (and further depressing).
    Well, just makes me feel like moving again. I've even thought of moving back to Finland, that's how nuts I'm getting. But then like this one woman I really, really got along well with broke up with me because I seem to be incapable of staying in any one country for more than 2 years. Dunno.
  • Dirtbox 5 Jan 2021 11:36:04 92,425 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    One thing I've learned is you can't run away from depression, it's essentially a part of you and after a brief honeymoon period with your new lifestyle, it comes back with a vengeance. Either you fix your shit or you're doomed to repeat a cycle of self destructive mistakes.

Or in other words, cheer up, you morose bastard.

Edited by Dirtbox at 11:40:01 05-01-2021
  • TechnoHippy 5 Jan 2021 11:48:56 19,122 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Though I try to drown my sorrows, they will surely drown me first...
  • TechnoHippy 14 Jan 2021 15:20:10 19,122 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Mental health team have been in touch - I have an assessment tomorrow - only problem is that it's work stress that's my biggest contributing factor, and that isn't going away any time soon. I used to have no problem with the stress of the job, but now I find myself worrying about it all the time :-(
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Jan 2021 09:15:13 18,306 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not sure if this is the right place but its the most anonymous I have.

Close relative got a diagnosis of a Borderline Personality Disorder (Quiet?) this week. Its their third different one so hopefully it sticks and they can be treated. They’re going to receive dialectical behavioural therapy and they’ll still be with the nurse who knows them best.

Lockdown means there isn’t a whole lot we can do to help them or their family but the most immediate issue in the Maybe house is how its gone down with Mrs Maybe. Mostly she’s dived deep into her phone reading account after account to make her worry more and more.
  • TechnoHippy 30 Jan 2021 09:24:17 19,122 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Tough situation - a bit beyond my own experience, so can't offer much beyond my sympathies.
  • chopsen 30 Jan 2021 09:32:54 21,905 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I am not a psychiatrist, but that can be a very challenging diagnosis, both for the people with it and those around them.

There's no easy solutions really, but ime having boundaries in place helps. Typically people with BPD have issues with emotional regulation and maintaining interpersonal relationship, so often end up triggering emotional psychodramas of their own making. Being dragged in to them, even if well meaning to offer support, can often just perpetuate the situation. Unreasonable behaviour is unreasonable behaviour, and being mindful of that and guarding against it can be helpful for those who are affected by their diagnosis as much as the other people around them.

Other side of that though is if they are acting like a nob, that isn't really coming from a place of malice, often, but a consequence of their deeply ingrained maladaptive behaviours they have in coping with emotions and other people. It's no better getting angry with a person with BPD acting out than it is getting angry at a bilateral below knee amputee being rubbish at the 100m hurdles.

It's a tricky balancing act.

Amazing they're getting DBT though. iirc it's the only treatment with any evidence behind it and access to it is patchy and/or non-existent.

Edited by chopsen at 09:38:29 30-01-2021
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Jan 2021 10:39:20 18,306 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    From what I’ve read its a much better fit than their previous diagnosis of OCD and bi-polar.

Especially the emotional regulation and drama of it all.

This all came about as part of an assessment to see if they could be discharged from their current treatment regime. So they could’ve ended up with no support rather than the DBT. The group aspect is going to be very challenging though.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Apr 2021 08:13:03 18,306 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    They were hospitalised last night after making an attempt.

A few setbacks in their care and general life recently but we didn’t see this coming.
  • TechnoHippy 14 Apr 2021 08:21:36 19,122 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Sorry to hear that :-(

Edited by TechnoHippy at 09:52:18 14-04-2021
  • IRWATWO 14 Apr 2021 08:31:04 1,208 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think with conditions like this it is always a possibility. There is a vast amount of despair in such conditions, for everyone involved, and the sufferer often is absolutely aware of that, so, well, how to stop it when all else fails.

Really sorry to hear it, I hope some progress emerges eventually.
  • Dougs 14 Apr 2021 08:31:51 99,664 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    (slip.of the finger there Techno!)

Hope they recover SME. :(
  • TechnoHippy 14 Apr 2021 09:52:44 19,122 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    (slip.of the finger there Techno!)

Hope they recover SME. :(
    Indeed - fixed - thanks.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Apr 2021 19:17:32 18,306 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thanks guys

They’re home now, doctors satisfied their body is over it and lots of mental health visits scheduled for the rest of the week
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Apr 2021 19:18:23 18,306 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Strange day sat by the phone on call if anything happens or any emergency childcare needed
  • Load_2.0 26 Apr 2021 16:18:57 33,287 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Well instead of that why don't you call Samaritans on 116123.
  • Load_2.0 26 Apr 2021 16:20:40 33,287 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Oh. Disappearing post..
  • TechnoHippy 27 Apr 2021 09:43:15 19,122 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Hopefully they got help.

Update for me is that with the new medication and changes in lifestyle I'm feeling better than I have done for years. I still get bad days, but they're much less frequent and not as dark in tone.

So for anyone suffering - there can be a light at the end of the tunnel, but I needed help to get there, so don't be scared to reach out to get the support you need.
  • IRWATWO 27 Apr 2021 10:55:26 1,208 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    That's good to hear dude :)
  • TechnoHippy 27 Apr 2021 12:55:59 19,122 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
  • 16Bitnights 11 May 2021 12:33:06 17 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Glad to hear you are doing alright now.

Regarding the topic: I saw a documentary by Jordan Peterson where it explains how to fight depression, long story short this can help:
    friends - so that you have someone to talk to
    Job - so you have a sense of purpose
  • drhickman1983 11 May 2021 12:53:25 7,594 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Peterson is a hack whose advice, at best, far too general and simple to be helpful to anybody whose life experience differs from his own. At worst... Well, it's banal tosh.

Whilst having somebody to talk is generally helpful it doesn't exactly help the multitudes of people who find it hard to discuss something so personal.

And as for a job... Good luck with that "find meaning in your job" thing if you're stuck in a menial job where your ability to make meaningful decidions is nil.
  • TechnoHippy 11 May 2021 13:44:01 19,122 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I found it easier to talk to total strangers than the people that knew me.

And on the topic of a job I had a fairly decent one, but on its own it wasn't enough - you need some meaningful connection to the world, although that could be a job for some people.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.