Burnout Paradise Page 52

• DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 13 Mar 2018 10:11:44 31,998 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's probably one of my favourite games ever. I didn't enjoy any other game in the series so almost missed out on it, but I gave the demo a go anyway and was hooked. There's just something about the absolute freedom to go your own way combined with the insane speeds you can go that really drew me in. I also loved all the collectable stuff as it felt like it was teaching me all the shortcuts and rewarding me as I did so :)

I have it and all the DLC for 360 and PS3, plus I have it on PC. The engine is so scaleable it even runs well on a Linx Vision tablet. Because of that, I'm not sure I'll bother with the remaster. As much as I love the game, I can already play it on Xbox One.
  • Syrette 13 Mar 2018 11:07:51 49,886 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Shame they've not done much with the textures in this.
  • oceanmotion 13 Mar 2018 14:43:37 17,320 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The map is upside down or something. There is something off about it that I find it impossible to follow, usually the map in the corner is no problem to follow and get a heads up but this one baffles me, maybe Ive gone mental and it's just like any other. The game looks don't help either and my reactions have to gone to shit since Burnout 3.

Edited by oceanmotion at 14:46:56 13-03-2018
  • GarlVinland 13 Mar 2018 15:37:59 3,193 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Paradise is my most played racing game. If I didn't already hammer it way back when, I'd get this in a heartbeat.
  • Zomoniac 13 Mar 2018 15:44:33 9,698 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ubergine wrote:
    I think I already said it earlier, but Paradise was the worst Burnout game. The open world made it feel aimless, like a game with the most clunky menu system of all time, making you drive from option to option.
    QFT.

3 > 2 > Revenge > 1 > Paradise.
  • Tonka 13 Mar 2018 16:35:04 27,960 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I sense a distinct RE4 dissonance. Stellar game breaks series mould to the extent that long term fans are turned away.

Are there more games like this?
  • monkman76 13 Mar 2018 16:39:00 12,852 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @oceanmotion The mini-map doesn't rotate. So if you're driving south for example, and you need to go west - towards the left on the mini-map - you need to turn right in the car. Which at those speeds gets confusing. If there were one thing I'd change about Paradise, it'd be a rotating mini-map so you're always travelling upwards on it.
  • KRadiation 13 Mar 2018 16:45:49 1,314 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Tonka
    I thought it was a good game to a point.
    But the actual racing was a bit boring. It really felt like they designed a city and then crow barred the races in with a shit sat nav that sent you on all kinds of awkward twists and turns that were never designed for fun.
    Whereas the older games were set pieces from start to finish.

An an open world racer, at the time is was unique. As a burnout game sequel it was the shits.
  • FuzzyDucky 13 Mar 2018 17:31:48 3,219 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    @oceanmotion The mini-map doesn't rotate. So if you're driving south for example, and you need to go west - towards the left on the mini-map - you need to turn right in the car. Which at those speeds gets confusing. If there were one thing I'd change about Paradise, it'd be a rotating mini-map so you're always travelling upwards on it.
    Absolutely this x 100. Melted my head at times and sucked the fun out of the endeavour.

Wasn't too bad in the outer areas, but when you're basically racing a grid in the city, it's no fun.

Edit - I agree that it's the weakest Burnout game (albeit I never played the first one), but it's still a fun racer and the PS4 is starved of good arcade racers.

Edited by FuzzyDucky at 17:33:17 13-03-2018
  • Deleted user 13 March 2018 18:25:33
    I love the burnout series.....apart from paradise. They definitely lost something switching to open world. I didn't find it enjoyable at all.
  • monkman76 13 Mar 2018 18:40:34 12,852 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    But added so much other goodness that the mould couldn't have accommodated.
  • Peew971 13 Mar 2018 18:52:36 7,247 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Addy_B wrote:
    I love the burnout series.....apart from paradise. They definitely lost something switching to open world. I didn't find it enjoyable at all.
    100% this! I would have liked a remaster of an old, proper Burnout, with no open world. If I wanted to play a modern Paradise I could just play Forza Horizon 3.
  • Deleted user 13 March 2018 19:05:10
    Peew971 wrote:
    Addy_B wrote:
    100% this! I would have liked a remaster of an old, proper Burnout, with no open world. If I wanted to play a modern Paradise I could just play Forza Horizon 3.
    Yeah that's pretty much my thoughts. I remember when they originally announced paradise and its format and I didn't like the idea at all but thought I'd give it a whirl. Nope I pretty much disliked it instantly. I just think the whole gameplay loop works better in separate linear racers. I miss the burnout games actually. Are any BC on Xbox one?
  • Peew971 13 Mar 2018 19:25:59 7,247 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Addy_B I'm pretty sure Paradisde is the only one that's BC, a shame.
  • waggy79 13 Mar 2018 21:00:00 1,872 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Paradise is by far my favourite Burnout. Finished on 360, ps3 then pc. Loved doing the challenges with mates and made a few more online as the community was so helpful. Such a well crafted city that i know exactly where i am without even looking at the map. Great dlc too.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 13 Mar 2018 23:26:22 31,998 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ubergine wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:
    Like what?
    I can only speak for myself, but the freedom of the city was a major plus. When not racing, I'd love exploring and finding new stuff to do. When racing, I loved learning the best routes and shortcuts. I also loved the handing of the cars, the varied events that took advantage of the open roads, the almost constant stream of new vehicles, and how it always felt like you had something to do. They made this amazing playground, filled it with stuff to do and made sure all that stuff was fun. The Big Surf Island DLC was great too, taking everything I loved in the base game and turning it up to 11.

I know it's not for everyone, but for me it was (and still is) all sorts of awesome :)
  • beastmaster 13 Mar 2018 23:32:29 18,289 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    This is now my goto game for a quick 15-20 minute blast. Which turned into 90 mins!
  • Peew971 13 Mar 2018 23:43:41 7,247 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    ubergine wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:
    Like what?
    I can only speak for myself, but the freedom of the city was a major plus. When not racing, I'd love exploring and finding new stuff to do. When racing, I loved learning the best routes and shortcuts. I also loved the handing of the cars, the varied events that took advantage of the open roads, the almost constant stream of new vehicles, and how it always felt like you had something to do. They made this amazing playground, filled it with stuff to do and made sure all that stuff was fun. The Big Surf Island DLC was great too, taking everything I loved in the base game and turning it up to 11.

I know it's not for everyone, but for me it was (and still is) all sorts of awesome :)
    All great points... but that's not what Burnout is about.
  • ChiefGB 14 Mar 2018 02:21:16 8,565 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Isn't this the one that used to take pics with the 360 camera and send them to your mates at random times like when you smash them off the road etc. There was some funny/banal stuff that came out of it but it was a great touch at the time.
  • ChiefGB 14 Mar 2018 02:22:52 8,565 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I am not sure I fancy paying almost full price for the privilege of playing this all again. Even if there is a shit ton of stuff to do in it.
  • monkman76 14 Mar 2018 07:45:21 12,852 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Peew971 wrote:
    DFawkes wrote:
    ubergine wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:
    Like what?

I know it's not for everyone, but for me it
    was (and still is) all sorts of awesome :)
    All great points... but that's not what Burnout is about.
    But why does that matter? Hey, let's not play this awesome new game because it's too different from previous games in the series.
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Mar 2018 07:58:21 39,525 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @monkman76 That's what I meant earlier when I said it might have been a good arcade racer, but it was a shit Burnout game. It's expectations, preferences, etc.

The next Halo could be the best turn-based medieval deck-building battler there is, it would still disappoint Halo fans. Admittedly Burnout Paradise is a little closer to the older Burnouts than my example, but my point stands. ;)

Edited by UncleLou at 07:58:44 14-03-2018
  • waggy79 14 Mar 2018 08:06:23 1,872 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You can't really win with gamers though. Too similar or too different and people have issues. I cant blame them as a studio to try and develop Burnout into something bigger, and maybe it was just making an open world with the more powerful consoles seemed logical at the time.
  • monkman76 14 Mar 2018 08:07:04 12,852 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sure, I get that. Though I still think calling it a 'shit' any type of game is harsh.

I did actually play a Burnout game before Paradise, but it was the PSP one. Paradise was a vast improvement on that, but I imagine the PS2 games were better.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 Mar 2018 08:14:35 14,313 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The problem I had with it is that the races were a lot less fun than the old ones. Hand crafted tracks are always going to be better than just drawing a line on an open world. The game itself is fine, not bad even, it was just a lot less fun than what came before it.
  • monkman76 14 Mar 2018 08:31:40 12,852 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The races were probably the least fun of the main event types. The takedown ones, and those ones where the black cars hunt you (or was it the other way around?) were great though, and the open world made them so free-form.

Also it's still the most fun open-world collect-em-up there's ever been. I accept that's a low bar...

Edited by monkman76 at 08:33:01 14-03-2018

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.