Burnout Paradise Page 3

• Whizzo 5 Dec 2007 15:07:11 44,765 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    360 version is much, much improved according to 1Up Yours who've got the latest code, with there not being a lot of difference at all now.
  • JediMasterMalik 5 Dec 2007 15:08:42 11,820 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This is the only game I've heard that it's easier to play online on your PS3 than on your 360. It's not just about graphics. ;)
  • pjmaybe 5 Dec 2007 15:10:41 70,666 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Of course, you know this means that you can pretty much forget online COD4 on the day this arrives, and probably for quite some time afterwards.

Peej
  • kissthestick 5 Dec 2007 15:18:37 1,002 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    oh yea

Silver XBL users wait a week later... Demo's exclusive to gold members for the 1st week according to MS new free content policy.
  • pjmaybe 5 Dec 2007 15:20:03 70,666 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    WOPR wrote:
    I've still not played a racing game online. Hmmm. Will the demo have some kind of online aspect like the PGR4 one did do you think?

That's a point...

I wonder if it'll be like the TDU demo. This is supposed to be seamless online y'see, so I wonder if it'll actually be a live-enabled job..

Peej
  • kissthestick 6 Dec 2007 04:52:07 1,002 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    IGN

Playable online mode in demo confirmed, very nice! looks like Criterion's really going all out on this one :)

December 5, 2007 - The most high-octane racing series this side of the Mississippi (and the other side as well) is just about set to hit the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in January with the release of Burnout Paradise. While you will have to wait until next month in order to play the full game, you're only days away from getting a taste of it as a downloadable demo is set to hit on December 13th on both the PS3 and 360.

The demo starts you off in a Hunter Cavalry, a slow but reasonably strong ride. Right out of the junkyard, which will serve as your main vehicle hub throughout the full game, it starts off all banged up, but driving through a nearby auto repair shop will fix it up right away. You needn't actually stop in the shop to get it repaired, which allows you to get repairs while in the middle of events to help fix any damage you've taken.

You'll be able to take the Hunter through what looks like maybe 1/10th of the entire map, which is gigantic, so the playable demo area is actually quite large. You're confined to a piece of the downtown district for the demo, so there's plenty of traffic and tight turns to take. You'll have to wait for the full game to get out into the country side and really test your drifting abilities, but the demo area gives you plenty of jumps to take to the air with.

These jumps play perfectly into one of the three events that you'll find in the demo, a Stunt challenge. When you start the challenge, you're given two minutes to rack up at least 50,000 stunt points, which you earn by hitting jumps, drifting, crashing through objects and generally driving chaotically. Stunts are strung together so long as you keep racking up the points, and boosting helps with this as you constantly earn points while you boost. Multipliers are earned by way of jumps, billboards, flat spins off of jumps and barrel rolls. You'll find a series of little barrel roll jumps scattered throughout the city where one edge of the ramp is raised a bit, allowing your car to twist through the air. Completing a rotation is tricky, but nailing a jump will earn you a 2X multiplier while everything else is a 1X. The Stunt challenge is the thing we've had the most fun with as you don't need to worry about where you're headed, and you've got to keep thinking on your toes (or wheels as the case may be).

The other two events you'll find are a race, which takes you through the bulk of the playable area, and a Burning Route, which is a timed run from one spot to another. The other main point of interest you'll find here is a paint shop, which at least in terms of the demo will give you a new, random paint scheme when you drive through it.

As for other stuff to do, Burnout Paradise tracks a number of extra goodies that you can "collect". There are Burnout billboards scattered throughout the demo that you can smash through, upon which a counter will pop up to tell you how many you've found. Likewise, you can crash through construction barriers and are shown a similar counter for your efforts.

The demo will be playable online, though we aren't able to hop on just yet as the game tells us that the servers aren't up. Still, you'll be able to join in with your friends and start a Freeburn Online session. Freeburn sessions are where you'll be able to partake in specially designed stunt sessions and the like, but as we can't hop online yet we haven't been able to test them out.

While the demo for Burnout Paradise really only contains three events, there's enough space to drive through and ramps and such to find that it'll entertain you for a good while. And of course, the online possibilities sound like they'll extend its play length even further. Look for the demo to hit the PS3 and 360 online networks on December 13th.
  • Dougs 7 Dec 2007 10:22:16 85,726 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    \o/ Good work kts. Very, very excited now.
  • Derblington 7 Dec 2007 11:27:36 30,856 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Don't get too excited yet, the demo doesn't have the full multiplayer allowance of the final game - player limit is capped.
  • PearOfAnguish 7 Dec 2007 11:33:41 7,573 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Don't get too excited yet, the demo doesn't have the full multiplayer allowance of the final game - player limit is capped.

Well forget it then, there's no way I'm going to download a free demo if it has limitations like that. Boycott!
  • Derblington 7 Dec 2007 11:35:27 30,856 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    That wasn't really my point, just a bit of a warning for those of you expecting to jump on it with all your mates over the weekend - I don't want you to turn it on and be crushed :)
  • pjmaybe 7 Dec 2007 11:37:13 70,666 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It'll break LIVE next week regardless...watch.

Peej
  • Dougs 7 Dec 2007 11:37:47 85,726 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    No, no - I'm more excited in general than just about the demo. Sounds great.
  • Whizzo 7 Dec 2007 11:39:14 44,765 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm surprised there's any multiplayer in the demo at all. Sounds like this could turn out to be one of those demos you play longer than some full games!
  • pjmaybe 7 Dec 2007 11:39:53 70,666 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    I'm surprised there's any multiplayer in the demo at all. Sounds like this could turn out to be one of those demos you play longer than some full games!

Yep and as I've said elsewhere, shows what a load of tosh Ubi came out with about AC...

Peej
  • Derblington 7 Dec 2007 11:47:56 30,856 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'll be very interested to know what you guys think of this game once you've played it for a while, especially Peej.
  • pjmaybe 7 Dec 2007 11:55:53 70,666 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    I'll be very interested to know what you guys think of this game once you've played it for a while, especially Peej.

Well I was initially horrified when Criterion said it was going to be sandbox-based...

Looking at the vids though, it looks like if anyone can get a city that complex running as smoothly as Burnout Revenge was on the 360, then Criterion can.

Can't wait. I'll be all over it like a bug on a stinkweed...

Derbs, while you're here, is that you in the Battlefield Bad Company developers movie (the latest one) ?

Peej
  • Derblington 7 Dec 2007 11:59:23 30,856 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Derbs, while you're here, is that you in the Battlefield Bad Company developers movie (the latest one) ?

Peej
    edit: nope, I'm not.
  • Deleted user 7 December 2007 12:02:13
    I fucking LOVE Burnout - so long as you can still earn burnout for driving up the wrong side of the road and near-missing other cars, I'm in... It's stupendously good fun! Ilove it when you're in 'The Zone', similar to being in the zone in Frequency or those crappy guitar games that have since replaced it... So satisfying...
  • Deleted user 12 December 2007 07:10:48
    Showtime looks rubbish. And who's the total COCK talking over it?
  • Blerk Moderator 12 Dec 2007 09:26:27 48,227 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Showtime... Jesus wept. Who on Earth thought that was a good idea? It doesn't even look fun!
  • Retroid Moderator 12 Dec 2007 09:43:59 45,444 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    I fucking LOVE Burnout - so long as you can still earn burnout for driving up the wrong side of the road and near-missing other cars, I'm in... It's stupendously good fun! Ilove it when you're in 'The Zone', similar to being in the zone in Frequency or those crappy guitar games that have since replaced it... So satisfying...
    Owen-B.... liking a game I like... world crumbling.... end of civilisation.... dogs and cats living together... MASS HYSTERIA
  • Whizzo 12 Dec 2007 09:48:06 44,765 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's alright, he'll hate the demo and he'll be bitching about it for the rest of the year about how they've ruined the game and every game that came before it.

And raped his cat.
  • weeno 12 Dec 2007 10:01:28 720 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The crash mode was my favourite part of the other burnouts, but this new video looks just terrible, so disappointing. I just hope the actual game turns out good.
  • agparrot 12 Dec 2007 10:05:31 11,902 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    ok, it was nice to watch the 60fps video, and it certainly seemed to retain the sensation of spped found in Burnout 1 - hard to tell if it had nailed the handling just right - the car looked very fast... but the 'Wrecked' from smashing into an oncoming vehicle was all good.

Also a little apprehensive about 'Showtime', and hoping this is just one of the Crash Modes, not the only crash mode - There was always something very satisfying about setting a crash up 'just right' and then watching the resultant carnage - not sure about all this bouncing around malarkey.

Makes me want to go and get burnout revenge on the cheap.
  • mrpon 12 Dec 2007 10:05:42 34,422 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    Showtime looks rubbish. And who's the total COCK talking over it?
    Should've got the guy from Running Man to do it.

It'ssssssssssssssssssss SHOWTIME!!!!
  • pjmaybe 12 Dec 2007 10:13:49 70,666 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Things I like about Burnout

1) EA Trax
    2) In game adverts
    3) Modding the cars up with custom paintjobs
    4) The online mode, it is brilliant and challenging to keep in a game without it crashing or bombing out.

Things I hate about Burnout

1) All that crashing business. How tedious
    2) It's too fast
    3) Damage modelling, I mean why is this even needed in a game?

/looks forward to being quoted as "the atypical Burnout fan" by Criterion when this releases next year

Peej
  • agparrot 12 Dec 2007 10:22:08 11,902 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    frod wrote:
    agparrot wrote:
    it certainly seemed to retain the sensation of spped found in Burnout 1

does not compute

My amazing spelling of speed, or the sensation of it from burnout 1?

I always played Burnout 1 in that first-person view that they switch to on the '60fps' video on Gamersyde - it was down low to the road and twitch-tastic in the faster class of cars - Made the game have a much greater sensation of speed than the behind-the-car shots.

I was reminded of it with the view change in the vid.
  • Deleted user 12 December 2007 10:30:14
    Retroid wrote:
    Owen-B wrote:
    Owen-B.... liking a game I like... world crumbling.... end of civilisation.... dogs and cats living together... MASS HYSTERIA
    its a new feeling, liking something... Oh no hang on there's loads of things I like.

:)
  • Deleted user 12 December 2007 10:31:58
    Whizzo wrote:
    It's alright, he'll hate the demo and he'll be bitching about it for the rest of the year about how they've ruined the game and every game that came before it.

And raped his cat.
    Look, if its shit there's not much I can do about that! Its hard being the only arbiter of taste and gaming goodness around here.
  • JediMasterMalik 12 Dec 2007 22:49:05 11,820 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If the website is anything to go buy, the demo should be out in about an hour. This could be the US time mind (as in add 6 hours cause it's using your own clock) so beware. If it is indeed midnight GMT, then I'll download it overnight, and be playing it this morning about 6:30 till 7 if anyone wants to go on. (I have to get up early anyway)

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.