Following The 4am thread Page 64

• Addy__ 28 Aug 2019 07:50:55 1,912 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @DUFFMAN5

Our Katy used to do that with those yoghurts. She's actually stopped eating them now. Grace goes apeshit if she has chips with no tomato sauce. I mean she will throw them everywhere. Fucking kids.
  • DUFFMAN5 28 Aug 2019 07:54:53 25,050 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Addy__
    I know mate, it is bloody hard work, feeling a little sorry for myself this morning I'm afraid.
  • Addy__ 28 Aug 2019 08:10:33 1,912 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @DUFFMAN5

We all have those days mate. It's really had a detrimental effect on my mental health but what can you do. Chin up pal.
  • Load_2.0 28 Aug 2019 08:13:56 30,113 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Genuinely I have no idea how you do it. Obviously I joked on here earlier but Sleep deprivation is considered a form of torture and my (limited) experience with it results in a sense of dread the whole day.

I would not be able to maintain any sort of semblance of normality and I hate to say it but I think I would be really angry all the time at my family and the kids.

So you and the others are doing a champion effort. You're better people than me.
  • Dougs 28 Aug 2019 08:15:48 90,960 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah, it's no surprise that my grumpiest days are when I've had early mornings or disrupted sleep. And even more frustratingly, it's rarely the kids that wake me up, it's just a broken bodyclock.

Edited by Dougs at 08:27:21 28-08-2019
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 28 Aug 2019 08:18:09 21,355 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You do kind of get used to it when you've got a young kid keeping you up. I kind of went into a daze like state after a while.

It utterly fucks me if I miss the odd day now though.
  • Addy__ 28 Aug 2019 08:21:15 1,912 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    It's caused massive strain in my marriage and career wise has not progressed as much due to lack of motivation from being half dead most of the time. Luckily my employers are great with my situation. I doubt I'd be as lucky again elsewhere.
  • Addy__ 30 Aug 2019 06:47:45 1,912 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Fucking hell I know my girls don't sleep well but the last 2 weeks have been horrendous. Katy only went to bed at 10pm last night and she's been up running around and screaming/screeching/laughing/crying since 2am.
    Grace was up at the same time the day before but she just sits there flicking a label on a soft toy for hours lol.
  • DUFFMAN5 30 Aug 2019 07:36:19 25,050 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Addy__
    Keep strong man. I hope your day gets better. Can you "catch" an hour or two downtime during the day.
  • Addy__ 30 Aug 2019 08:50:03 1,912 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    @Addy__
    Keep strong man. I hope your day gets better. Can you "catch" an hour or two downtime during the day.
    Not at work I can lol.
  • TechnoHippy 30 Aug 2019 08:50:52 15,532 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I was up until 4 with a terrible pain on one side of my face - I suspect dodgy sinus from the cold I've had for the last week. A few hours sleep and it seems ok now/
  • THFourteen 5 Sep 2019 04:11:17 53,174 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Grrrr. Daughter woke up at 3.30 upset and needing a cuddle. Second time in two days. My gut instinct is sheís struggling to deal with her elder brother starting school tomorrow and being on her own at nursery (sheís been hanging out with his friends for 6 months since she moved to the big kids room, and 15 of them are leaving or have left for school)

But either way, had a couple of pints after work too and now canít get back to sleep despite having had 4 hours sleep.
  • DUFFMAN5 5 Sep 2019 04:34:39 25,050 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @THFourteen
    :( not good mate.
  • Deleted user 5 September 2019 09:14:29
    Post deleted
  • Dougs 5 Sep 2019 09:22:10 90,960 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    We had my youngest awake for 2 hours between 2am and 4am, 3rd night in 4 she's been awake - 1st night she went back off quite easily, 2nd she slept in with my wife as I was away and last night she refused to go back to bed (we don't let them in our bed for long as frankly there's no room and I don't want to start that). She claims she'd had a bad dream but I know that she's just adjusting to sleeping alone in her room again after pretty much sharing with her brother all summer for various reasons. She's always preferred sleeping in with someone (probably because she was in our room until she was 2) and has always had spells like this when going back to her own room. Also probably a bit of back-to-school nerves.
  • THFourteen 5 Sep 2019 09:29:59 53,174 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Dougs

That's interesting, the first thing Eliza said yesterday when she woke up crying at 3am was that she wanted to go back to her "holiday bedroom" where she was sharing a bunk bed with her brother!
  • Dougs 5 Sep 2019 09:39:11 90,960 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I think if she wakes in the night, she's instantly comforted if someone else is there. Always takes a few nights to settle down (and then they share again at the weekend!).
  • Deleted user 10 September 2019 03:53:33
    Post deleted
  • Dougs 10 Sep 2019 05:02:53 90,960 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Been awake since 4.15 myself, for no reason other than I was thirsty and then my brain kicked in, reminding me that I needed to get up in an hour, so why bother going back to sleep? Stupid brain. (.gif)
  • Deleted user 10 September 2019 06:29:51
    Post deleted
  • JoeBlade 11 Sep 2019 00:46:03 4,521 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Not nearly 4am material but some idiot just rang at my door as a I was about to fall asleep. Nothing aggressive or excessive but I'm wide awake now.

By the time I got up I couldn't see anyone outside but I did vaguely hear what sounded like stumbling and a door closing in the house next door. I presume someone was one house further down the street than they meant to be (and most likely not entirely sober in that case)
    Either that or I have one very strange stalker/admirer.
  • adamasunder12 11 Sep 2019 01:04:47 1,301 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Sorry, was looking for yer Mum.

Found her.
  • Deleted user 11 September 2019 04:18:25
    Post deleted
  • ChiefGB 11 Sep 2019 05:48:33 11,625 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Iíve not slept well at all for months since starting a new mgrs job, always wake about now but donít go to bed till 12-1am and itís burning away time I should be spending sleeping. Working two shift patterns doesnít help, especially when both occur in every week and I lean on the later start to catch up but even thatís not happening now. The biggest thing is things keep changing at work and Iím the top dog and wear that responsibility fairly heavily. Just a bit of a worrier I guess and like to do the best job I can which is slowly fucking me up with a lack of a decent nights sleep, added to the fact I have an old senile cat that wakes us up several times a night, digging at the bed for food/company.

Looking further back I donít think Iíve had a full uninterrupted nights sleep in about 10 years or so.

Eurgh, oh well I guess the inevitable breakdown will realign things eventually.

Edited by ChiefGB at 05:52:18 11-09-2019
  • MrFlay 11 Sep 2019 06:35:04 4,269 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @ChiefGB

Fuck that cat, dawg. Not actually.

Have you tried getting more exercise? Gym? Swimming? Running? Anything really. I don't sleep too well but since I started going to the gym and swimming daily, I'm out like a light and work bullshit isn't bothering me either despite having to deal with morons on a daily/hourly basis.
  • ChiefGB 11 Sep 2019 08:48:27 11,625 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thatís actually a fair point (the exercise) thing is with the shifts that it would be a bit irregular but not impossible I guess. Itís more about clearing my head of those thoughts that just wont shift. I have pondered trying that headspace app I keep seeing ads for on youtube, but Iím sceptical itís not all locked behind paywalls. Has anyone tried it? I guess itís free to start so little to lose.
  • MrFlay 11 Sep 2019 09:00:29 4,269 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I tried it and it's useful to get you started but ultimately guided meditation is very limiting. You could sub for a few months and then just use a timer. Exercise is much easier and requires less discipline. I do boxing and swimming daily and I'm like a different person. The worries and intrusive thoughts don't bother me anymore. I sleep better, feel better and look better ( ;) ).
  • Deleted user 11 September 2019 09:30:17
    Post deleted
  • freddymercurystwin 11 Sep 2019 12:16:53 1,772 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I don't think the benefits of exercise can be disagreed with, it's odd as (depending on the type of exercise) during exercise you might think it gives you time to dwell on this or that but actually it can be really therapeutic and good for mental health. I'm not one to preach being quite the procrastinator myself but some exercises are much easier than others to get into for instance a quick run involves changing clothes and leaving the house for a run and then a quick shower afterwards whereas a trip to the gym can involve half an hour or so of traveling and faffing about before you've even done anything. even one bit of excercise a week is better than none.
  • MrFlay 11 Sep 2019 12:21:18 4,269 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @freddymercurystwin

Running outdoors in the winter is fucking horrible though. Cold and wet. You could always run to the gym though. I could never stick to running but swimming and boxing at my gym is actually fun.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.