Hellboy 2: The Golden Army Page 3

• Pirotic Moderator 15 Aug 2008 09:42:03 20,642 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Saw this on the day of release and I'm in two minds about it. Loved the style of it all, the characters and sets looked fantastic! But then I've always been a big fan of Guillermo del Toro so that was kind of expected. The action sequences and CGI were also top notch and very well directed. It's a great spectacle.

But the plot was just.. well.. stupid. I think everybody left the cinema asking a couple of obvious questions about it.

why didn't she just melt the fucking crown piece to begin with? or why didn't they originally melt it rather than splitting it up into 3 pieces so it couldn't be used. When she melted it in her hand at the end I could see the 'WTF' on the faces of the people sitting next to me.

And secondly, if that princess knew her brother could share her thoughts, why did she hide it in the book, rather than giving it to say, abe to hide.

Was also a bit let down by the Golden Army, would of liked to have seen a bit of city rampaging but it was all rather low key. Shame as they looked so cool :p

Seemed to flow better than the first movie which could border on dull during some sections, but the plot itself I thought was weaker, as was the villain. But then, how can you top a clockwork Nazi?
  • MrSensible 15 Aug 2008 09:48:50 26,517 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    But then, how can you top a clockwork Nazi?

Not just a clockwork Nazi... an undead, clockwork, nazi who is in league with Rasputin! :D

I was constantly in a state of WTF while watching the first film last night, in a good way. I swear they made the plot solely from my dreams!
  • Menace 15 Aug 2008 09:51:56 5,887 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Agree.. the plot sucked =/

The comic is not adverse to pulling some random fact out of nowhere to save a story, but this felt very weak.. Combined with the overacting of the BPRD guy and the anti-climatic ending.. a big let down.

I really wish they would have used the 'pan' legs from the Labyrinth of Pan on HB.. it just looks wrong with him wearing boots and leather pants..
  • Pirotic Moderator 15 Aug 2008 09:59:15 20,642 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I quite liked Johann Krauss, even if they did totally screw with the comic book with him leaving the suit.
  • Ares 22 Sep 2008 00:20:37 1,818 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Saw it tonight at a last minute showing. Thought it was brilliant.

The visuals promised by the trailer were delivered in abundance. The fascinating art design was lavishly presented at a consistent "Pirates' Davey Jones" quality CGI. The action scenes flowed with a natural grace that apparently eludes most other alleged action movies. No pulled punches. No floaty wire work. No gravity bending bullshit. No painfully predictable choreography. Just meaty, vigorous fighting, with spectacular acrobactic flourishes in all the right places. I was very pleased to find that the audio work never distracted me with obnoxious booms and cracks, orchestral hystrionics, or wall of sound crappiness-compensation. The mix was balanced with a gentle perspicuity, placing emphasis on the dialogue above anything else. Hollywood, you cunts, take note.

But what entertained me most of all in Hellboy were the characters, particularly the irresistable eponymous rogue himself. I doubt the wit and humanity of the script would have succeeded so well without the authoritative performance of Perlman. It's because he commands the role so naturally that scenes such as the library sing-song were possible. And even though the film went for laughs more often than gravitas, it never felt cheapened because the humour was appropriate to the characters. And even though the plot wasn't exactly watertight, I did care about them. The chemistry between Abe and Princess was volatile enough to overcome the species rift. Even Goss elicited some empathy with his tragic Prince Nadua. And never did it take itself too seriously.

Moar plz!

9/10

The Star Wars prequels seem so sterile in comparison. It's given me confidence in del Toro's ability to adapt The Hobbit to film!
  • GuiltySpark 25 Jan 2009 01:17:09 6,772 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Saw this last night, have to say, I thought it was pretty dire. The plot was absolutely awful, including the cringeworthy love subplot between Abe and the princess. It felt stupidly unnecessary, as well as him betraying Hellboy towards the end. And her melting the crown? That was just extremely stupid.

The gas-guy-in-a-suit whos name I can't remember was bloody terrible as well. Comic relief characters normally are. As well as Selma Blair's character who was wooden as fuck and said her lines like she was utterly bored by the whole thing. The Prince was another crap character.

No idea what the hell Del Toro was thinking when he made this. And no idea what Ares saw, but it definitely wasn't this film.
  • absolutezero 25 Jan 2009 01:24:20 7,952 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hellboy 2 was more Del toro + Hellboy rather than Hellboy with Del Toro directing.
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 25 Jan 2009 01:40:32 47,495 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I like both the Hellboy films. I do think Prince Nauada was a good tragic villain. Simply the act of showing love and compassion for his father and sister despite what he is doing just puts that edge on the character which elevates him above 99% of action film villains.

They need to do something about Ron Pearlman's false teeth though. They muffle every last line of his.
  • GuiltySpark 25 Jan 2009 01:43:50 6,772 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I liked the first Hellboy, but I was extremely disappointed with this one. I can't think of any redeeming features for it, except that Pearlman is pretty good, but even that couldn't save it.
  • Retroid Moderator 25 Jan 2009 01:46:28 45,463 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    /Shuns GuiltySpark
  • Menace 25 Jan 2009 02:33:48 5,887 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    I liked the first Hellboy, but I was extremely disappointed with this one. I can't think of any redeeming features for it, except that Pearlman is pretty good, but even that couldn't save it.

Agree - sadly.
  • Ares 7 Apr 2009 21:47:06 1,818 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    Saw this last night, have to say, I thought it was pretty dire. The plot was absolutely awful, including the cringeworthy love subplot between Abe and the princess. It felt stupidly unnecessary, as well as him betraying Hellboy towards the end. And her melting the crown? That was just extremely stupid.

The gas-guy-in-a-suit whos name I can't remember was bloody terrible as well. Comic relief characters normally are. As well as Selma Blair's character who was wooden as fuck and said her lines like she was utterly bored by the whole thing. The Prince was another crap character.

No idea what the hell Del Toro was thinking when he made this. And no idea what Ares saw, but it definitely wasn't this film.

Okay, I got a bit overexcited. I blame the string of piss-ass movies I'd previously seen. But still, dire? As a literary artifact of mankind, it may not endure the ages; but anybody wanting some airtight, crispy-fresh entertainment, should look no further.

/Ares thumbs up, fake smile
  • Deleted user 15 June 2009 10:23:42
    Bumpage.

This film's rather good!

That is all.
  • Triggerhappytel 15 Jun 2009 10:30:09 2,696 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Agree with funkyd. Was actually looking it up on Wiki this morning, and sadly it makes no mention at all of Hellboy 3, so I suppose there are no confirmed plans so far for a sequel. Shame.

I thought the second movie was a little better than the first, and although I liked the clockwork Nazi dude (can't remember his name), I thought Jared Nomak - sorry, Prince Nuada - was a better villain, with more interesting motives.
  • iokthemonkey 15 Jun 2009 10:30:11 4,662 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I prefer the first one, but it's a pretty neat flick. My brother was playing me it on Blu-Ray the other day with HD audio and the scene where The Goss is doing his spear/sword/staff practice is amazing, as when he hits the puddle you can hear it splash around you.
  • Deleted user 15 June 2009 10:33:28
    Triggerhappytel wrote:
    Agree with funkyd. Was actually looking it up on Wiki this morning, and sadly it makes no mention at all of Hellboy 3, so I suppose there are no confirmed plans so far for a sequel. Shame.

That's a bit surprising, I thought they left it quite open for a third installment, with the "Hellboy will being the end of the world" and his two children stuff. There's a lot of things they could do in a 3rd film.
  • Triggerhappytel 15 Jun 2009 10:36:46 2,696 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, I hope Del Toro decides to do a sequel at some point, as the second one made a fair bit of money. I s'pose it might be a few years though, as he's pretty busy at the moment any way.
  • Deleted user 9 September 2009 20:40:16
    Not entirely sure if this is the right place for this but I'll forge ahead anyway:

I've just finally got round to looking at the 2nd SD disc included with HBII on blu-ray and I'm wondering if there's meant to be a digital copy included.

Would some kind soul have a look at their copy and confirm?

The barcode is 5050 5825 87807 and the number on the 2nd DVD is 8255616B-11/R0.

I should also mention that an activation code wasn't included either. So, did the UK blu-ray release get a digital copy?

Thanks!
  • YenRug 21 Feb 2017 17:35:39 4,553 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    http://www.screengeek.net/2017/02/21/hellboy-3-officially-not-happening/
  • Baihu1983 21 Feb 2017 18:11:02 10,799 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Boooooo
  • ghostgate2001 21 Feb 2017 18:46:10 651 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Shame. What is it with del Toro projects and "not happening"?

del Toro's The Hobbit not happening.
    At the Mountains of Madness not happening.
    Silent Hills not happening.
    And now Hellboy 3 not happening.

:(
  • JoeBlade 21 Feb 2017 19:21:56 4,321 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    This is weird.

I just looked up the IMDB page on del Toro and it states "Hellboy 3 (announced)" in the Writer section.
    However, in the Director section it says "Hellboy 3 (rumored) (announced)".

I'm not sure what to believe anymore.
  • YenRug 21 Feb 2017 22:32:57 4,553 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, seeing as the story linked above quotes del Toro's Twitter account directly, I think you can take it as canned for now.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 21 Feb 2017 22:48:30 1,726 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Love both of these films. Shame they're not happening, especially as superhero films have become so visually bland.
  • Baihu1983 22 Feb 2017 12:27:02 10,799 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Follow up tweets make it sounds like a complete reboot is more likely
  • beastmaster 22 Feb 2017 13:52:23 19,064 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's dead! No studio was ever going to fund it. I don't think they were hugely successful, hence no interest.

It's got its fans but just not enough of them. This has as much chance of being made as Dredd 2.
  • BinaryBob101 22 Feb 2017 19:08:12 26,671 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    He posted a 24 hour poll Tweet a while back. If it got over 100,000 votes he said he's start talking to Perlman and the studios about it.

Obviously, one of em said no and with good reason. When was the last time he had a big hit? I enjoyed Crimson Peak and the robot cartoon was ok too, but it's no wonder confidence is being lost.
  • JoeBlade 22 Feb 2017 20:55:56 4,321 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Well IMDB has scrapped Hellboy 3 from the del Toro page so I guess it's super-duper official.

I'm not convinced the problem was funding. Most of his films have apparently made a decent profit, the Hellboy flicks made several tens of millions of dollars each and Pacific Rim made over 200 million (again according to IMDB)
    No The Dark Knight levels but still nothing to sneeze at.

Inversely most of what, say, David Lynch did turned a loss yet he still finds ways to fund his work, even complete mindfucks like Inland Empire.
  • ghostgate2001 22 Feb 2017 21:11:26 651 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    It's dead! No studio was ever going to fund it. I don't think they were hugely successful, hence no interest.

It's got its fans but just not enough of them. This has as much chance of being made as Dredd 2.
    Much as I loved the Karl Urban "Dredd", I still think a CG-animated film is the optimal way to go with Judge Dredd...

The original 2000AD stories had a caricatured outlandishness to them that really doesn't translate too well into live-action, e.g. the fatties, the dark judges, etc. - not at the kind of sub-"Marvel's Avengers" budget they would have to bring it in on, anyway!

And of course they could get away with an equally uncompromising and violent Dredd in animated form without necessarily waving goodbye to a box-office friendly rating.

Not sure what the budget was on those Resident Evil CG-animated films (Degeneration / Damnation) but it can't have been megabucks if they were direct-to-video releases and still made enough money to warrant further sequels being greenlit. That kind of approach to Dredd could be awesome in the cinema, IMHO.

Edited by ghostgate2001 at 21:15:41 22-02-2017

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.