I bought a guitar is it rubbish? Page 5

• DrStrangelove 14 Mar 2016 14:50:17 14,356 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    The bits which make the difference to tone IMO aren't really down to woods - and that's one of the reasons the Harley Benton was so good - the saddles, bridge and (graphite!) nut were all much better quality than you'd expect at the price point. Wilko pups, too!

Obviously mahogany body and maple veneers are incredible at this price point, but that's largely just pretty stuff.
    To be fair, if you're used to Gibson, your expectations concerning build quality may or may not be particularly high
  • Deleted user 14 March 2016 16:03:32
    I'm not used to Gibson, I've only had one for six weeks or so.

I am however used to plank guitars and having to set them up
  • mothercruncher 14 Mar 2016 19:01:34 16,380 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    mothercruncher wrote:

I don't think many like to admit it, owners and manufacturers, but the margins of "tone" are extremely thin these days with such good copies about. When you strap a pickup onto a piece of wood a large proportion of its natural sound disappears under the amplification.
    Only partially. A Gibson SG and a Les Paul sound very different even with the same pickups, for example. Bad quality woods and poor build may have a bad impact on tone. Cheap guitars also tend to have poor sustain.
    Re: bad tone- Jimmy Page's Danelectro '59 says hi. A guitar with fucking formica for tone!

It's mostly pickups with, a good helping of technique and then a little bit from the wood. I've built a few guitars and basses, two pickup from scratch, tens of effects pedals, and a few amps- the biggest changes in tone always come from the electric circuit, even something as simple as adding a grease bucket circuit to your tone control makes a really noticeable difference.
    There's nothing wrong with an expensive guitar and so much to love about the quality of the finish of them but what they bring to the table is an ever decreasing curve as they get more expensive and once you get past the 300ish starting point you mention where basic playability is a given.
    I'll bet, though I've no proof I'll admit, that 99% or people couldn't hear the difference between a maple fronted neck and an ebony one, though, particularly if they've spent the money themselves, they'll claim they can. Electronic pickups and circuits obliterate most of the stuff that makes a difference on acoustic instruments.

Edited by mothercruncher at 19:02:39 14-03-2016
  • Deleted user 14 March 2016 21:02:02
    Depends on what you're playing though and the role in which you play. Also: probably the only person at the gig who really appreciates your vintage axe sound is you :)
  • Duffking 16 Mar 2016 11:40:04 16,256 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Been playing for about a year now and decided that it's time for a second guitar. Been looking about for a while and have decided it might well be this one. Not bank breakingly expensive, but looks beautiful and it's not an obvious starter guitar like my first.
  • Duffking 16 Mar 2016 11:50:30 16,256 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Who doesn't :p
  • Duffking 16 Mar 2016 12:05:16 16,256 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I mean I like the look of this colour version better to be fair. Bit less loud. I'll have a look in the shop first though.
  • Cappy 16 Mar 2016 13:22:51 14,098 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    This arrived in the post this morning, pretty cheap for a string action gauge, one slight niggle, the edges are a little sharp but a bit of high grit sandpaper fixes that.

Essential if you want to setup your guitars. I was a bit disappointed that my main guitar was spot on, no adjustment required.
  • DrStrangelove 16 Mar 2016 15:33:35 14,356 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ClemFandango wrote:
    mothercruncher wrote:

Re: bad tone- Jimmy Page's Danelectro '59 says hi. A guitar with fucking formica for tone!

It's mostly pickups with, a good helping of technique and then a little bit from the wood. I've built a few guitars and basses, two pickup from scratch, tens of effects pedals, and a few amps- the biggest changes in tone always come from the electric circuit, even something as simple as adding a grease bucket circuit to your tone control makes a really noticeable difference.
    There's nothing wrong with an expensive guitar and so much to love about the quality of the finish of them but what they bring to the table is an ever decreasing curve as they get more expensive and once you get past the 300ish starting point you mention where basic playability is a given.
    I'll bet, though I've no proof I'll admit, that 99% or people couldn't hear the difference between a maple fronted neck and an ebony one, though, particularly if they've spent the money themselves, they'll claim they can. Electronic pickups and circuits obliterate most of the stuff that makes a difference on acoustic instruments.
    Although I agree with some of that, I hate effects pedals and electronic stuff with a passion, I only use valve amps and an ibanez tube screamer pedal, plus a cry baby if I want some wa. Anything else is to much. So the more vintage the pick up and expensive the wood the better ;-)
    I agree, I'm also pretty purist. I use a delay pedal (only for solos) and the amp's reverb, and that's it. Of course, using lots of effects will minimise the guitar body's influence. If I did that, I might even like EMG's.
  • Deleted user 16 March 2016 19:09:13
    Well, he's got the best music
  • Fourwisemen 16 Mar 2016 19:20:24 818 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @PES_Fanboy

So I ordered on Sunday night, arrived today...that's some service from Germany....for 100...

Doesn't look too shabby.. https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ka21wvfqilx1aw/File%2016-03-2016%2C%2019%2018%2011.jpeg?dl=0 But will have to wait for the boys review at the weekend..
  • Deleted user 16 March 2016 19:28:25
    Gnarly. But WHY HASN'T MINE COME YET
  • Fourwisemen 16 Mar 2016 20:34:33 818 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @ClemFandango

I always thought the guitar was a good way to get girls in bed, seems it's easier just to get the guitar in there..
  • DrStrangelove 16 Mar 2016 20:41:51 14,356 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fourwisemen wrote:

I always thought the guitar was a good way to get girls in bed
    I can't confirm that
  • elstoof 19 Mar 2016 13:44:51 23,661 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Urgh I spoke to a guitar playing friend and mentioned the German kit to him - the bastard put me onto a few quality brands.. Now I've just spent the last hour on Warmoth's website looking at parts.
  • HelloNo 19 Mar 2016 15:18:35 2,112 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @elstoof Guitars are bad like that. Before you know it you'll start convincing yourself you need a better amp and three sets of strings.
  • DrStrangelove 19 Mar 2016 15:24:46 14,356 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A better amp is what most people complaining about bad sound actually need. In the respective forums, many drill with questions about which pickup they need to get their sound right, only to reveal at some point that they don't have a proper Marshall
  • elstoof 19 Mar 2016 15:55:13 23,661 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I just love building stuff out of kits.
  • Deleted user 19 March 2016 17:52:35
    Marshall shmarshall. All the nerds will tear their hair out but I want a Kemper. Just need 1,500 for it
  • MikeP 19 Mar 2016 17:59:52 2,939 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @elstoof Do it.
  • Pipedream 19 Mar 2016 19:18:05 479 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I have a Line 6 amp and active pickups.

Pure guitar sins.
  • Deleted user 19 March 2016 19:19:17
    METAL
    E
    T
    A
    L
  • elstoof 19 Mar 2016 19:37:16 23,661 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    More or less have done it...

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.